All Terrain Tires [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : All Terrain Tires

G23 4 ME
02-20-2006, 13:49
Looking for some good all terrain tires for a Ford Expedition. Any suggestions/experiences would be helpful.

jim123
02-20-2006, 15:28
BFG A/T TKO

OUSooner
02-20-2006, 19:14
+1, maybe the best! The BF Goodrich A/T KO's are maybe the best all terrain tire ever invented. My next choice would be Mickey Thompson Baja's.

TexasGlock23
02-27-2006, 01:26
BS! Nitto Terra Grapplers or Toyo Open Country are far better! I have heard and seen too many complaints on the BFG's compared to these two. There is just way too much hype in the BFG's. But what do I know, I have never ran them. I am just quoting from others personal experience including my grandfather, boss and good friend. Do a search online, and maybe you could check into the Bridgestone Dueler and Revo's! But I haven't really seen anything great besides looks.

TexasGlock23
02-27-2006, 01:27
As for the M/T's they are nice!

OUSooner
02-27-2006, 05:26
The BF Goodrich A/T's are the 10 time Baja Champs and have won numerous other 4 wheel events. No other tire really comes close. Get the Toyo open countrys if you don't mind your off road tires being made in China.;f

Ktmexperiment
02-27-2006, 05:34
Originally posted by TexasGlock23
But what do I know, I have never ran them. I am just quoting from others personal experience including my grandfather, boss and good friend.

Exactly!

I've ran 3 sets on my old Toyota pickup, and they can't be beat.

They've gone up in price over the last few years, but they're still probably worth the money.

They have awesome snow traction for an AT, and they're excellent offroad, in general, as well. The nice thing is, with the excellent offroad traction they provide, they're still not a 4 lug mud tire, that's dangerous as hell in the rain on pavement.

I wrecked my truck once thanks to crappy mud tires that provide NO traction on wet pavement......especially with a light pickup rearend.

I'd go for the BFGs if the money allows.

The Nittos are excellent tires as well, and so are the Toyos. However, you'll spend about the same, if not more on those other brands. They all last about the same amount of miles as well.

Just remember, they're all somewhat of a soft compound, so don't expect them to last quite as long as your typical street tire.

YukonGlocker
02-27-2006, 05:59
I was in the retail tire business for about 4 years. Now I manufacture tires. I only say this b/c I have seen my fair share of good and bad tires. My recommedations:
BFG All-terrain: good
Bridgestone Deuler A/T: better
Michelin M&S All-terrain: best

You didn't post your driving habits or intentions. Some all-terrains are a little rough, made more for mudding and such. Some all-terrains are a little less rough, better for highway. The Bridgestone and Michelin will last the longest, but they cost the most.

There are others that are OK, but these 3 tires have a good, consistent quality track record. If I were buying an all-terrain for light off road action, but still wanted a nice highway ride and good mileage; I would buy the Bridgestone's.

TexasGlock23
02-27-2006, 06:40
Well seeing how the people I knew complained about premature wear and lousy traction I am just assuming they werent all that great! But by all means buy what you like and enjoy. I am not saying they are horrible tires. But from what I have seen and heard they arent the best.

Ktmexperiment
02-27-2006, 11:37
Originally posted by YukonGlocker
I was in the retail tire business for about 4 years. Now I manufacture tires. I only say this b/c I have seen my fair share of good and bad tires. My recommedations:
BFG All-terrain: good
Bridgestone Deuler A/T: better
Michelin M&S All-terrain: best

In mind, that's a good rating on what lasts longest, and drives best on the street, from worst to best.

If you want offroad traction, I'd flip that list around..........BFGs being "best", and the Michelins only being "good".

perception
02-27-2006, 21:34
On my Jeep I have run both BFG ATs and Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos. I currently have the BFGs on, and like the way they look better.

However, the Revo's performed better overall I would say. I am an extremely aggresive driver on road, and I also do a lot of off road driving. I go through tires quickly.

On road, there is no comparison. The BFGs simply do not corner or grip like the Duelers. If your primary driving will be on road, then I would say look no further than the Dueler AT Revos. Wet or dry, the Duelers were better.

Off road however, it is more of a toss up. On dry, firm ground, the Duelers are better. On softer and more muddy terrain however, the BFGs grip better. The BFGs also stay clean much better. On mud or softer ground, the Duelers got clogged up and lost traction. The BFGs sling mud and stay clean, while the Duelers just clog and spin. Off road I would give the edge to the BFGs, but just barely. It really depends on what kind of terrain you will see the most.

I can't compare how they wear, as I have not made it through the BFGs yet.

I hope this has been helpful. It is certainly not scientific, just one mans humble observations.

TexasGlock23
02-27-2006, 21:36
That is about what I got from both. The BFG's are pretty good in dirt/mud, but wear quickly.

briantf
02-27-2006, 22:50
Bottom line on any AT is that you're running a compromise between stree and trail usage. As far as wear goes, my father in law got >50K out of his factory BFG AT KO's on his 03 Hummer - he should have replaced them earlier than he did, but his only rotation was done by ME at 25K.

I typically see 40K+ on my wife's 98 Explorer before they're too worn for how we drive, I only get 35K on my 97 Ranger because I drive it like a Miata with a big trunk. I also run a separate set of muds because, let's face it, an AT is an agressive street tire. If you need a mud, you need a mud.

Considering how we drive and where we drive, if you have an off-road bias the BFG's are just the best.

BTW, my first set of tires on my Ranger was the original (pre-Michelin redesign) AT *non KO*. I killed them dead in 25K. I was so impressed that at 25K on the new KO's I still had deep tread left!!

Context: 133K on 98 Explorer, 6-7K off pavement. 100K on 97 Ranger, 4-5K off pavement. 55K on 03 Hummer, 2-3K off pavement. 31's on Fords, 35's on Hummer.

Regards,
Brian in CA

Diesel Scout
02-28-2006, 15:22
The BFG's are great tire, as are the Open Country Toyo's AT's. I ran BFG's on my Scout two sets of tires ago. The BFG's are really nice on road, great manners, great wear, and little noise. Off road they did just fine in the rocks, I only punched one, but that was 30 MPH down a road trying to make up time. They would however load up in the mud and not clean very well. The Toyo's aren't any better, the tread blocks are just the size.

If you looking to get a really nice tire, and don't mind spending the money, I'd look into the ProComp AT's or Xtreme All Terrain. I am currenlty running the MT tire and LOVE them. American made, a little noise, but great off road and on road manners. The AT's should reflect that. Pro Comps a top quality tire, that is often over looked. Oh, and Pro Comps are buy three get one free right now.

Now it you want to talk about Over hyped, anything made by Nitto would fit that build. Oh, and I am running the Open Country Toyo's on my pickup, but haven't had a chance to run them very much. So far, they are very high quality, and a great size.

YukonGlocker
02-28-2006, 16:55
The Pro Comp A/T has about the same tread pattern as the old Sport King's. This is a good tread pattern for mud, surprizingly good. Just a little on the loud side. I have no experience with Pro Comp tires, so I can not say anything good or bad about them.

You can not compare OE tires to replacement tires. And I am talking about comparing the very same model, I.E. the post about the BFG's getting more than 50K miles. All OE tires, whatever the make and model, are made better than the replacement tire. Some OE tires are even made out of a different rubber compound. I could say a lot more about this subjuct, but I better stop there. And if someone is wondering, OE is original equipment on new automobiles!!!

OUSooner
02-28-2006, 19:13
My brother in law ran some Pro Comps on his F150 4x4 and didn't get a lot of mileage out of them. He new set are Mickey Thompsons and he likes them so far.

Ktmexperiment
03-01-2006, 06:44
Originally posted by YukonGlocker
The Pro Comp A/T has about the same tread pattern as the old Sport King's. This is a good tread pattern for mud, surprizingly good. Just a little on the loud side. I have no experience with Pro Comp tires, so I can not say anything good or bad about them.

You can not compare OE tires to replacement tires. And I am talking about comparing the very same model, I.E. the post about the BFG's getting more than 50K miles. All OE tires, whatever the make and model, are made better than the replacement tire. Some OE tires are even made out of a different rubber compound. I could say a lot more about this subjuct, but I better stop there. And if someone is wondering, OE is original equipment on new automobiles!!!

They're also very similar to the Cooper AT tires, all of which are a 4 lug design, like a mud tire.

SO, if you're going to have a 4 lug design, which is slick as crap on wet pavement, you might as well just buy a true mud tire.

YukonGlocker
03-01-2006, 11:55
The Cooper A/T's are very slick on wet pavement. I wouldn't put those on a horse trailer, let alone a truck. The rubber compound Cooper uses in these tires is cheap and they get hard and slick.

The Pro Comp A/T is not even close to a 4-lug mud tire. There are 5 rows of heavily siped lugs. 4-lug mud tires have little or no sipes and are slick as snot on wet pavement. I don't know about the rubber compound of the Pro Comp's, so I don't know exactly how they will perform.

The Sport King A/T's(used to be made by Kelly Springfield), have a 4-lug design but are nothing like a 4-lug mud tire. They have 4 interlocking, heavily siped lugs. I have always driven a 4X4 and have had 5 sets of the Sport Kings myself. The Sport Kings are made of a very soft rubber, and they get excellent traction(wet or dry). These tires do very well in snow and ice also. I like these tires. The reasons I didn't recommend them is: They are sometimes hard to find, and then find a replacement if needed. I have not had any in about 4 years, they may have changed or may not be made now. If you have a dealer that keeps these in stock, they are very good for the money. They are a little more aggresive than most A/T's; that means they will be good in mud and will wear a little more quickly b/c they are so soft.

If all you want to do is play in the mud, 4-wheel, or have very loud tires- then get a 4-lug mud tire. If you want your tires to last very long, and be at least reasonably good on the highway- do not get 4-lug mud tires. And yes, I have had many sets of mud tires. I know their limitations!!!

avmech
03-01-2006, 14:30
BFG T/A KO....I usually get around 40,000 on a set.....