Calling a VET a squid. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Calling a VET a squid.

frefoo
02-20-2006, 18:23
Navy Vets,

Do you get offened when a "AF puke" calls you a "squid"?

I went shoping at the mall today, at one of the stores I started talking to the cashier...

I let him know of my service in the AF (F-15) and told me he was in the Navy (F-14).

I, without thought, and jokingly said "how is it going squid"

Turns out he was a Nam vet (20 plus years of service) and he looked offened that I called him a "squid".

I expected his response to call me a "flyboy" and we would both laugh.

Based on his reaction I think it may have insulted him.

I thanked him for his service to our country. He replied in kind, still I think I insulted him (was not my intention).

Did I mess up?

Fred Hansen
02-20-2006, 19:57
Sounds like he needs a sense of humor. `p

cliffb
02-20-2006, 20:38
Don't worry about it. I'm also a 22 year Vet with Nam service. Sounds like he may have had a thin skin but he'll get over it.
BTW, thanks for your service.

skyboss_4evr
02-20-2006, 20:47
I have no problem with a vet or active duty member of another service calling me a "squid." The only time it annoys me is if a civilian (non-veteran) calls me that. The way I see it, if you haven't served your country, you don't rate to use terms such as "squid" or "jarhead"... etc.

rhikdavis
02-20-2006, 20:50
Originally posted by skyboss_4evr
I have no problem with a vet or active duty member of another service calling me a "squid." The only time it annoys me is if a civilian (non-veteran) calls me that. The way I see it, if you haven't served your country, you don't rate to use terms such as "squid" or "jarhead"... etc.

^6

Crazy Ed
02-20-2006, 22:50
It certainly doesn't bother me, but I guess you never know how someone will take any kind of comment. If you perceived him taking offense, then he probably did for whatever reason. I can only guess. Squid, fly-boy, wrap-leg, grunt; I'm proud to belong to this group!!

Ed

Fred Hansen
02-21-2006, 01:42
I have no problem with a vet or active duty member of another service calling me a "squid." The only time it annoys me is if a civilian (non-veteran) calls me that. The way I see it, if you haven't served your country, you don't rate to use terms such as "squid" or "jarhead"... etc. ;c

md2lgyk
02-21-2006, 09:39
Doesn't bother me - I WAS a squid (8 years submarine service).

Fred Hansen
02-21-2006, 15:22
Originally posted by md2lgyk
Doesn't bother me - I WAS a squid (8 years submarine service). A.K.A. a bubblehead. ;f ;c ;f

Jakapr
02-21-2006, 18:54
I had to laugh when I read this thread.

I emailed Riflemanz last week about the thread he started asking about VF-32 Sailors. I told him we weren't sailors we were Airdales.

A picture in our AE shop on the Kennedy. We were the first East coast squadron with the Tomcats (VF-32). This was our 75 cruise and looking at the picture I would guess we just left the states. Most in our shop shaved our heads the day we left the states.

Riflemanz is back left, I am back right.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/Jakapr/ziggy7.jpg

We set up a site with out cruise pictures.
http://www.geocities.com/vf32ae2too

Glockdude1
02-21-2006, 18:57
You know how you can tell you have Marines on the ship?

There the ones feeding bread crumbs to the helicopters.........

;N

cliffb
02-21-2006, 19:00
Damn the picture brings back old memories. Hey, I think she was hanging on our shop door too!!;f

truckstop cop
02-22-2006, 09:31
i was just having this conversation last night at work with some youg guys that i was talking to about enlisting,one of them called me a silly sailor,so i first off told him that i was not a submariner and second that he does not qualify to call me any such names due to the fact that he has never served in any branch of the military,i also went on to inform him (while he was cleaning a coffee pot,part of his job)that i receive two checks every month for the 20 years that i put in,so keep on doing what your doing and check back with me in 20 years to see if you qualify to throw names at me..name calling between vets or active duty is expected,but not from a civilian!!

anyways,to the initial poster,i figured that all you flyboy types got your panties in a bunch when called names(even the navy flyboys,they are the worst)hahahahahahahaaaaaa ahhh shoot dont get mad,i always enjoyed flying air force,they always have the best chow!!!!!!!!

02-22-2006, 13:23
Originally posted by Jakapr
Most in our shop shaved our heads the day we left the states.

Med heads! ^c

Streck-Fu
02-22-2006, 14:24
This was our 75 cruise and looking at the picture I would guess we just left the states. Most in our shop shaved our heads the day we left the states.

That looks just like my first shop (AT in IWT). My first deployment was with VFA-15 on the Roosevelt (CVN-71) in '91 for DS.

That poster wouldn't cut it now though. I remember when the first women on the ships were the COD pilots that would stay over night due to weather or long flights. Man, you could have smelled her purfume or fancy soap from 60 frames away....

Ramjet38
02-22-2006, 18:12
It used to really piss me off when the Calif. pukes called me that. I now look at as a badge of courage. Time heals all wounds.
A Vietnam vet.

NucSub
02-25-2006, 15:49
Let's see, I fall into the following catagories:
1. Squid
2. Bubblehead
3. Fn Nuke
Just to name a few of the more common nicknames.

vdeleon
02-26-2006, 13:07

:cool: SK1-16 years and counting....

et2mdo
03-01-2006, 08:56
Originally posted by NucSub
Let's see, I fall into the following catagories:
1. Squid
2. Bubblehead
3. Fn Nuke
Just to name a few of the more common nicknames.

Although I have to say that the F'n Nuke nickname gets old when someone of... ummm... shall we say, lesser intelligence uses it.

mwelch8404
03-03-2006, 23:03
[B]I had to laugh when I read this thread.

I emailed Riflemanz last week about the thread he started asking about VF-32 Sailors. I told him we weren't sailors we were Airdales.

Oh. You mean one of those goys that had those pretty baby blue rank insignia?

L4zy
03-04-2006, 02:55

;c I'll drink to that!

Ramjet38
03-04-2006, 07:04
Originally posted by mwelch8404
Oh. You mean one of those goys that had those pretty baby blue rank insignia?

No...it was green.;)

Navy HMC
03-08-2006, 05:19
The worst I have ever been called was by a 0400 Gunny: A Marine Humping Pecker checker" Damn I hated that guy. He probably hated me too-until I, shall we say "Fixed a social problem" for him, under the table then 'ole doc was okay.

I agree, there are Fly Boys, Grunts, Squids, Airdales, Scope dopes, Deck Apes, Bubbleheads, dog faces (army pukes) pool sailors (Coasties) to name a few, but if the title comes from another vet it's okay, we are all brothers and sisters in arms. We may joke, but I will be the first to buy you a beer. If you're one of those civillian tree hugging flower in yer hair hippie types, IT IS ON!

recondoc
03-08-2006, 08:18
I've been called "Squid" and worse by my Marines. To me, if a man or woman is willing to put on the uniform, trade their civil rights for the UCMJ, and hang their butt's out on the line with me, I don't rightly care what they call me. They've earned the priveledge of interservice rivalry.
I've heard the "Pecker Checker" enough times as the Chief mentioned above but like "Babysitter of Marines" (For some reason, a lot of them just don't like that dig which makes me smile ;) )I still haven't found a T-shirt shop around a Marine post that will make that one up for me. I wonder why?
I don't mind a ration of crap from a fellow vet but I won't take any off some Cheeto eatin', loudmouthed, panzy who wants all of his freedms ensured but doesn't want to support the folks that do his/her dirty work.
Doc Bretz

Crazy Ed
03-08-2006, 09:25
Originally posted by recondoc
I've been called "Squid" and worse by my Marines. To me, if a man or woman is willing to put on the uniform, trade their civil rights for the UCMJ, and hang their butt's out on the line with me, I don't rightly care what they call me. They've earned the priveledge of interservice rivalry.
I've heard the "Pecker Checker" enough times as the Chief mentioned above but like "Babysitter of Marines" (For some reason, a lot of them just don't like that dig which makes me smile ;) )I still haven't found a T-shirt shop around a Marine post that will make that one up for me. I wonder why?
I don't mind a ration of crap from a fellow vet but I won't take any off some Cheeto eatin', loudmouthed, panzy who wants all of his freedms ensured but doesn't want to support the folks that do his/her dirty work.
Doc Bretz

Amen Doc! ;c

exprt9
03-08-2006, 11:38
A squid is a higher form of sea life that s***s on a lower form of marine life!;f

Kidding aside, I also do not have any problems being called squid by another person that was/is in the Military service. The service rivalry will never stop but the most important thing is we are one United States Armed Forces! Don't mess with this country or else......;I

glkdawg45
03-08-2006, 14:44
My two Best Friends joined the Navy, and they know I call them "Squid" with Loving Affection.;?

elcuchillo
03-13-2006, 16:11
I don't have any problem being refered to as a "squid" by any service vet (specially when said in that sarcastic tone of voice so many use"

On the other hand, any non-squid who calls me a bubblhead...

ExNavyInHouston
03-20-2006, 14:06
I did NINE kick butt years in the Navy and love being called a Squid. I am a Harley rider and my bikers friends nicknamed me Squid and I even have personalized plates that say "Skwid" so I am proud of it.

In the sport bike world I think being called a Squid is a put down, but it is probably by some moron who feels the need for negative labels to build himself up. We will always have those types and all we can do is just be glad we wake up every morning and know they are the idiots.

Wear your Squid Pride high!

Squid Out

E4E
03-28-2006, 22:26
It's all relative.

You Rust picking sand crabs just ain't gota clue.

"Squid" is a general term.
Except when it is directed towards any of the Combat Corpsmen I have served with and were good Grunts to share Misery with in good humor.

Then again there are "Sailors", which pretty much applies to the good Navy folks us Jarheads have crossed paths with while aboard an LST, or other Gator freightor/Floating helo deck.

Every Fall.

One game.

Our elected Commander in Chief splits sides.

Marines don't.

Smile when a Jarhead calls you a Squid.

Our Docs ain't Squids cuz they are our own, and we stole 'em Fair and Square!

E4E

E4E
03-28-2006, 22:36
Just to add.

Got busted up more than once in port, on account of some stupid Squid getting into a pissing contest with a local.

And had my sorry hide covered by a good Sailor in the P.I. more than once.

Friggin Squids.
The Lot of ya!

E4E

Bronson7
03-31-2006, 08:25
Back when we wore the cracker jack uniform ( I still think that was a sharp get-up along with the cheater knots and liberty cuffs)) my Marine buddies would start cracking the squid jokes. I would ask them if they new the history behind the flap and the thirteen buttons. Of course they didn't, so I'd tell them it was a bib for Marines. That shut them up, temporarily.
Bronson7

E4E
04-01-2006, 21:49
Bronson,

The concept of projected Naval Power is what it is.

You Squids gotta put up with us Jarheads.
Us Jarheads have gotta put up with you Squids.

Ain't none of us willing to switch to get the same Job done.

But then there is the Army and Air farce.

Too heavy,slow, and late.

Control the seas, and the land 30 miles or so inland, on short notice, and you control the world.

The Army and the Air Farce is nothing but support.

Good folks, but support all the same.:supergrin:

Semper Fi!
E4E

Retread
04-03-2006, 20:01
Maybe a little off track, but I was an 8404/0000 for 8 years. I was testing for HM1 when I switched over to the Army thinking I'd get promoted faster and be able to get into the Rangers. Dumbest thing I ever did. I was stationed at two major units. They never would let me try for the Rangers. At both, the same exact term "another f---'n swabbie" was muttered by the CO loud enough so I would hear when I reported for duty.

I aced their promotion boards, and their PT tests, and they still wouldn't send me to the school that was required to get promoted. By the time they wanted to send me, (after over three years,) I'd had enough. I got out after 4 years. If I'd stayed in the Nav, I'd have retired. The Army ruined my life...Put me too far behind the curve for the Navy to take me back.

Do I toletate getting called a "squid?"
Only by a "Jarhead."
Call me a "Swabbie" and I'll kick your worthless dog faced dumb --s army puke butt.

:soap: :soap: :soap:

4TS&W
04-03-2006, 20:29
Originally posted by E4E
Bronson,

The concept of projected Naval Power is what it is.

You Squids gotta put up with us Jarheads.
Us Jarheads have gotta put up with you Squids.

Ain't none of us willing to switch to get the same Job done.

But then there is the Army and Air farce.

Too heavy,slow, and late.

Control the seas, and the land 30 miles or so inland, on short notice, and you control the world.

The Army and the Air Farce is nothing but support.

Good folks, but support all the same.:supergrin:

Semper Fi!
E4E

Gotta disagree with you there, as there is not one GPS coordinate that the Air Force can't blow up, given our fast movers and refuelers.. and it's getting to the point that space won't be safe either! ;)

Now holding it is another matter, but why bother when you can just blow it up again later.. :supergrin: :beer:

Bronson7
04-03-2006, 21:24
Yeah, this thread is sure bringing back some old, good memories. I guess I miss the camaraderie most of all. The absolute best folks I ever knew were in one service or another. Once a month, I go to Fort Campbell for my grocery shopping and see those young men and women in uniform. Damn, I'm proud of them. Gotta love them.
Bronson7

Wisby
04-25-2006, 00:36
You call me anything, I accept these.
Squid
Bubblehead
Cone-er
Guy that brings the FamilyGrams
Wisby

Maybe when I'm old and crusty like you guys sound I'll get offended by what people call em... :) :)
But I got 13 years untill then.

LH2
05-06-2006, 20:28
I work with a Flyboy - he calls me squid and I call him flyboy. No hard feelings, just mutual respect.

But man, those AF uniforms are UGLY! ;)