Nintendo Development Kit - Only $2000! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Development Kit - Only $2000!

RyanSBHF
02-23-2006, 19:20
Nintendo Development Kit - Only $2000!

In an unprecedented move by Nintendo, game development studios who have purchased the company's development kits for making games on the upcoming Nintendo Revolution were reportedly charged the infinitesimal price of about $2000 per development kit. This is thousands of dollars cheaper than a Playstation Portable SDK, let alone a SDK for the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3. When it comes to making games on a video game system, a Software Development Kit is required by a studio interested in publishing games. The SDK allows for advanced system functions and access for the developers, in addition to information that will hasten the development process.

With jaw dropping news such as this, you can be assured that there will be a vast library of games on Nintendo's new console. When you are putting the official Nintendo SDK, or any other software development kit for a gaming console for that matter, at the low price of two thousand it is beyond a shadow of a doubt that a diverse style of new games will arise for that platform. In addition, the low SDK prices will prompt new design firms to jump into development for Nintendo's Revolution console to test the waters. We congratulate Nintendo on this move. It's going to be great to see what new developers have in store with the cost of Nintendo's development system now in an affordable price range.

Source (http://ds.qj.net/Nintendo-Development-Kit-Only-2000-/pg/49/aid/5170)

Interesting news. I wonder what kind of impact this will have on the upcoming PS3/Rev/360 console war? I hope we see a greater variety of games than we did with the GCN.

fastvfr
02-23-2006, 22:04
Most studios just pay whatever they have to in order to code up a title for a console.

This will probably make for a ton of so-so ports from previous systems, with improved graphics, on the new Nintendo system.

Heck, I know some people who might get one of these just for S&G...