City Boy Moves To The Country & Needs A Business Idea [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : City Boy Moves To The Country & Needs A Business Idea

CCF
02-25-2006, 01:05
Like the title says, I'm pretty much a city boy, but have recently moved to the country on a 10-acre lot. Minus the house & the way the land is situated, I have about 8 acres to work with.

My question is simple. How can I use that 8 acres to make money? I want to put the land to good use, but I really have no idea how to go about it. I'd be willing to do just about anything. Any ideas? I'd really appreciate any & all suggestions, because like I said, I'm basically clueless at this point. Thanks.

DBradD
02-25-2006, 12:50
Some ideas:

1. Ginseng (dried roots, seeds, rootlets for replanting)
2. Genetically superior black walnut timber plantation.
3. Other medicinal herbs (not ones like chamomile which requires zillions of acres and expensive equipment)
4. Christmas trees
5. Tree nursery
6. U-pick berries

You must have the right soil conditions and, for 1 and 2, must be able/willing to stay there for years (8-9 for item 1 and 25-35 for item 2).

Items 1 and 2 are complementary because ginseng grows well under black walnut trees. I've done #1 and it was not difficult or very expensive to start. I'm confident that I would've made this into a great side income ($40-50k/year) if we had not moved to another state.

Ample info is available online for both of these and feel free to contact me if you want more of my info.

Oh yeah, almost forgot to include my broken-record advice: Go read Rich Dad Poor Dad if you haven't already.

DBD

CCF
02-25-2006, 23:23
Originally posted by DBradD
Some ideas:

1. Ginseng (dried roots, seeds, rootlets for replanting)
2. Genetically superior black walnut timber plantation.
3. Other medicinal herbs (not ones like chamomile which requires zillions of acres and expensive equipment)
4. Christmas trees
5. Tree nursery
6. U-pick berries

You must have the right soil conditions and, for 1 and 2, must be able/willing to stay there for years (8-9 for item 1 and 25-35 for item 2).

Items 1 and 2 are complementary because ginseng grows well under black walnut trees. I've done #1 and it was not difficult or very expensive to start. I'm confident that I would've made this into a great side income ($40-50k/year) if we had not moved to another state.

Ample info is available online for both of these and feel free to contact me if you want more of my info.

Oh yeah, almost forgot to include my broken-record advice: Go read Rich Dad Poor Dad if you haven't already.

DBD

Great ideas & will check into them all. I may contact you, as well. Will also read the book. Thanks, again. :thumbsup:

CCF
03-01-2006, 17:16
Any other ideas? Maybe breeding some kind of animal? Any & all ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Allman
03-01-2006, 18:17
How country are you? And what are zoning restrictions? 8 acres should be enough to do a small horse boarding operation if you are fairly close to a city.

DBradD
03-01-2006, 20:46
Originally posted by Allman
How country are you? And what are zoning restrictions? 8 acres should be enough to do a small horse boarding operation if you are fairly close to a city.

You might think of adding a dog kennel too if you think the demand is there. I'm thinking seriously about doing that if I stay in my current location for the long term because there is only one vet that boards animals and reservations must be made very far in advance because it's practically always full. It's a college town, so it's mind-boggling to me that nobody has done this already.

DBD

CCF
03-03-2006, 15:32
Originally posted by Allman

I live in a suburb of Tulsa (Sapulpa) & out of the city limits. No restrictions as far as I know. I believe a horse boarding operation would be a good idea for this area. I'll google it, etc., but any other info you know of that can get somebody started? Thanks.

CCF
03-03-2006, 15:37
You might think of adding a dog kennel too if you think the demand is there. I'm thinking seriously about doing that if I stay in my current location for the long term because there is only one vet that boards animals and reservations must be made very far in advance because it's practically always full. It's a college town, so it's mind-boggling to me that nobody has done this already.

DBD

You mean for people who need a place to keep their dog(s) temporarily? Another good idea. I'll check to see how many other dog kennels there are in the area. There might very well be a need for that service. Other than the internet, do you have any other info about a starting a kennel I could check into? Thanks.

Dandapani
03-03-2006, 16:41
Specialty vegetables: peppers, lettuces, etc. I've read rule of thumb to be $10,000/acre. Must first secure local market, upscale restaurants, organic produce stores, etc.

DBradD
03-03-2006, 17:41
Originally posted by CCF
You mean for people who need a place to keep their dog(s) temporarily? Another good idea. I'll check to see how many other dog kennels there are in the area. There might very well be a need for that service. Other than the internet, do you have any other info about a starting a kennel I could check into? Thanks.

Exactly. Say I want to go out of town for a business trip and need to put my dog somewhere. It's hopeless here.

I don't know squat about starting a kennel - just that there seems to be a void in our market. It might be fun to fill it, especially because I like dogs.

DBD

GlockSpeed31
03-05-2006, 08:04
Also, might want to check out raising Alpacas (sp?) or Llamas. From what I understand, not too expensive and somewhat enjoyable.

Best of luck,
GlockSpeed31

CCF
03-05-2006, 15:57
Originally posted by dmobrien2001
Specialty vegetables: peppers, lettuces, etc. I've read rule of thumb to be $10,000/acre. Must first secure local market, upscale restaurants, organic produce stores, etc.

thanx for the idea :thumbsup:

CCF
03-05-2006, 15:59
Exactly. Say I want to go out of town for a business trip and need to put my dog somewhere. It's hopeless here.

I don't know squat about starting a kennel - just that there seems to be a void in our market. It might be fun to fill it, especially because I like dogs.

DBD

I like dogs, as well. I'm definitely going to look into it. Thanks, again. :thumbsup:

CCF
03-05-2006, 16:00
Originally posted by GlockSpeed31
Also, might want to check out raising Alpacas (sp?) or Llamas. From what I understand, not too expensive and somewhat enjoyable.

Best of luck,
GlockSpeed31

I've heard of those two things & it seems it can be a good way to make money. I'll have to check it out. Thanks. :thumbsup:

TurboRocket
03-25-2006, 07:26
First, consider whether you want the land to work for you as direct income or as passive income. A passive income idea may be to build horse stables, and lease it out to others who will manage and board horses for income. Direct and active income may be to run it yourself. For me, the road to a better life style is to always add passive income only, unless it is going to become your full time commitment.

I know there are people who breed and import supremely titled German Shepherds. They use their land for training, boarding and all things GSD. The big money comes in when they stud out their males for $1500 - $3000 per breeding. Sometimes 5 - 10 times a month. Of course, that kind of demand is only generated by having a stud that is worth $100k or more, and a stud with all the titles that go with it. And, it is a lot of work and definitely not a passive endeavor.

CCF
03-28-2006, 15:44
Originally posted by TurboRocket
First, consider whether you want the land to work for you as direct income or as passive income. A passive income idea may be to build horse stables, and lease it out to others who will manage and board horses for income. Direct and active income may be to run it yourself. For me, the road to a better life style is to always add passive income only, unless it is going to become your full time commitment.

I know there are people who breed and import supremely titled German Shepherds. They use their land for training, boarding and all things GSD. The big money comes in when they stud out their males for $1500 - $3000 per breeding. Sometimes 5 - 10 times a month. Of course, that kind of demand is only generated by having a stud that is worth $100k or more, and a stud with all the titles that go with it. And, it is a lot of work and definitely not a passive endeavor.

Good thoughts, TurboRocket. :thumbsup:

Anybody know anything about running cattle? The guy next to me started out with a dozen head or so (recently had a few calves) & doesn't have much more land than I do. I have 10 acres with about 8 suitable for pasture. He's not too friendly or I would approach him about his operation.

I don't really know anything about the cattle business. How many head could I have in 8 acres? How much could I make per head? Obviously, it wouldn't be my primary income, but I'm wondering what I could expect. I'd appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks.

6602TROY
04-02-2006, 07:25
I LIVE IN THE TEXAS PANHANDLE AND HERE THE GENERAL RULE IS 1 HEAD PER 8-10 ACRES. YOU DO HAVE ENOUGH TO HAVE A COW FATTEN IT UP AND HAVE ONE GOOD, HOMEGROWN BEEF SUPPLY. YOU CAN SAVE A BUNDLE OF MONEY ON MEAT BY DOING THIS. IF YOU DONT HAVE THE FREEZER SPACE, SOMEONE YOU KNOW IS USUALLY QUITE HAPPY TO PAY THE SLAUGHTER FEE FOR A PORTION OF THE TAKE. THESE DAYS KNOWING WHAT GOES INTO THE FOOD YOU EAT IS PRICELESS AND PEOPLE KNOW THIS. THERE IS ALOT OF GOOD ADVICE POSTED SO FAR, ALOT DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH TIME YOU HAVE TO COMMIT TO THE TASK. GOOD LUCK. TROY

Dandapani
04-02-2006, 07:36

I raised llamas. Lost my shirt. Bought high, sold low. No market for babies. Finally sold off at auction, sent breeding male to butcher (so as to not have total loss).

binderd22
04-19-2006, 15:42
It would really depend on what markets are hot in your area with a little of your own business background included. A lot of people have posted very lucrative suggestions, but it's going to depend on you & 1)how much work you're willing to put into it 2) working capital available and 3) how quick of a return are you looking for. Best of luck in whatever you choose ! :cowboy:

amd4me
06-29-2006, 12:12

Best of luck,
GlockSpeed31
Excellent idea.
They are smarter than horses and follow you and respond like a dog.
Their wool is worth ALOT!
And they make good pets and are a great business venture.

Lowrider 49
07-03-2006, 23:23
Alpacas are not cheap to start. Breading females average $15K each and you need at least a small barn ($10K+). Think about $75-100K to get started on a large scale or at least $40K on the small side. I have 11 now after 4 years and over $100K invested and not a cent on the black side of the book....hope that changes soon!!

nucleus
07-11-2006, 22:52
Hmmm, from what I can tell the best ROI on land is to turn it into a trailer park. Kind of sad, huh?

Nucleus

Lowrider 49
07-12-2006, 00:02
Nope....hi density farm for planting dead people is best.

geminicricket
03-09-2007, 22:47
Did you borrow money to buy the land?

Did you pay less or more than $10,000/acre?

Lowrider 49
03-09-2007, 23:43
I bought the property with the proceeds from the sale of another house. Land in 1989 was about $2,100/acre...now it is over $16,000 per acre. Costs aren't getting any cheaper.

We had a female born in late January we are estimating to be worth $17K to $18K. One is due in April and onein May...hopefully they will be girls too!!