new uniforms ACU [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : new uniforms ACU

fitz4609
02-25-2006, 10:34
How are the new uniforms being received by the troops?
Why is there a change from the Marines similar uniform?
As a soldier that came in when plain olive drab was the issue and I saw my first BDU being worn by a E-2 while in Sinop, Turkey I guess i'm just curious.

Biscuitsjam
02-25-2006, 13:56
Our brigade was the first to be issued ACU after their official adoption. Here's my assessment:

Good
-The pockets are substantially better than on the old BDUs.
-The uniform is considerably more comfortable than the BDUs.
-It isn't too hot in the summer or cold in the winter, plus it dries out fast.
-Easy to change patches, such as rank.

Bad
-It doesn't look professional, since it always looks wrinkled and sloppy. No starch, etc.
-Patches wrinkle and look bad after just a short while
-Stains really show up since the color is so light.
-airborne, drill sergeant, and all those patches cannot be sewn on. On heavy metal pin-on insignia is allowed (which makes the uniform sag and looks like crap)
-The rank insignia is covered up whenever carrying a rifle with sling.
-The stitching is very low-quality, so the seams burst on the pockets, crotch, seat, etc.
-The camoflage doesn't blend in with ANYTHING. British Lobsterback uniforms would probably hide you better

A_Swede_17_1911
02-26-2006, 03:37
I really like, how the pockets are set up on the ACU's they are in the right places. Far as looking un kept, I haven't had a problem with mine, I do toss em in the Dryer to remove the wrinkles though. Yes they dont really blend with anything, but again that whole pixel cammo, has to do with breaking up night vision devices, dont know how great it does that. I like em.

AK_Stick
02-27-2006, 02:03
I have to say, if you dont think they blend in with anything, you've never seen them in the woods. They beat the piss out of woodland BDU's.

That said, I love mine, I haven't had any stitching burst, or have a problem with staining them. Everything washes out of mine, and they come back looking new each time. However, some other guys have had issues with them ripping pockets and stuff. I guess I'm just luckier than them.

Oh, and so no one can say it, I work on blackhawks for a living, so yes, they do get beat up quite a bit.

Biscuitsjam
02-27-2006, 11:10
The stitching has been improved on the new ACUs. I just got a new pair and it looks good so far. The old ones make us look like dirtbags.

The ACUs didn't blend into the desert (Qatar, Kuwait, southern Iraq, Mojave), nor semi-arid regions (Irrigated land around the Euphrates), nor in swamp or pine forests (Ft. Stewart). Maybe it blends in some woodland, but not where I've been. However, the uniform does disappear against a gravel background. Maybe the army thinks we'll be fighing in American/European city rubble (Iraqi buildings are brown, not grey)? It also isn't bad at night (with night vision, not thermals), but that is dependant upon the pattern, not the colors. The colors could be changed without affecting night vision protection.

The velcro on the pockets is pretty nice. It holds up well and provides a good seal, on all except the thigh pockets. The infantry and cav scout types aren't particularly enamored of it, since it isn't exactly quiet, but I haven't had any problems.

Overall, I think it is a good uniform, but the idea of one camo pattern for all terrains doesn't really work. We ought to make woodland and desert-specific digital camo uniforms, like the Marines. Change that, and make a few other changes and I think you have a winning uniform. As it is, I'm not all that impressed.

fnfalman
02-28-2006, 12:05
I saw a few GIs with the outfit on. Coupled with the beret, the combo look just weird. It's like something out of Starship Trooper. The Mandarin collar really throws me off.

Black Tiger
02-28-2006, 18:08
Just noticed something that just floors me. THe US Army has not completely issued the ACUs to the troops and already thatre's a TV show where the "soldiers" are already wearing the ACU.

Is a new TV series on CBS called "The Unit" and all the characters are wearing their ACUs, I have been in the military for over a decade now and I have not gotten my own ACU issued yet.and already Hollywood "soldiers" are wearing them.

WTF, over? Heck, the US Marine charaters on the series JAG are still wearing woodland BDUs (and the MARPATs have already been in the system for a while).

Is it just me?

fxdwngflyr
03-01-2006, 08:57
Where are you at now? If you are stateside it may be a while for you to get them.

Deploying units, some, are getting them. Guard/Reserve are getting them if they are funded.

Alot of stateside RA dont have them and wont be getting issued them.
I bought my own from USpatriotstore.com in August. I have recently bought more from AAFES.

You will get a bigger clothing allowance, so they say.

Black Tiger
03-01-2006, 15:38
Originally posted by fxdwngflyr

I'll believe it when I see it (on my LES).

Anyways, I am in the Reserves, stateside and I see some soldiers (mostly Field grade officers) already wearing theirs; and maybe the ocassional E-3 or E-4 (probably fresh out of AIT).

I could buy my own set, but I am not spending over $100 on a full set of ACUs, including regulation tapes, patches, boots, etc... for a uniform I'll wear once a month.

I did that once, with my dress greens; not anymore, brother. ;f

Sam White
03-01-2006, 16:57
Stateside Reserves here, too. I've seen the new uniform mostly on Sergeant Majors or officers Colonel and up, with the occasional PFC or SPC, as Black Tiger said. We're not getting them until 2007 unless something happens (our unit won't be deploying, we've got stateside stuff going on). I've already had to buy a bunch of stuff out of my own pocket that my unit won't issue (don't get me started) to me, so there's no way in hell I'm buying ANY ACU stuff until I absolutely have to.

Anyway, I don't like the idea of velcro-fastened name tapes and unit patches. I can see that they won't stick once the uniforms are a year or two old, although I could be wrong.

The uniform, to me, at least, stinks of "me too," in a time when the Army is trying to sell itself to the public. The uniform may be functional, but I think there's a pr element to it as well.

Avenger069
03-01-2006, 20:04
I am in the Michigan Guard and since I won't get these issued to me I purchased my first two sets last month. So far I like them. The biggest thing I don't like is the pin on badges. As much as I hate to say it the jump wings may not make it onto this uniform.

fxdwngflyr
03-02-2006, 12:32
I am not wearing any of my badges. A pain in the butt if you ask me. The subdued black wears off too quickly. My peers and Soldiers are always getting yelled at by me because they are "shining".

As far as the PR goes, you are correct. USAREC had alot to do with it. In fact all the recruiters should have been fielded first. They are slowly dripping down from there.

Yeah, I will believe the increase in the allowance when I see it also. But I sure as h*** claimed it on my taxes. I had over a thousand dollars worth of uniform expenses. Blues, Greens, ACU's, alterations, it really hit hard. Should set me up until retirement though.

DriBak
03-03-2006, 15:59
I think they look brokeback, my little brother just got home from basic and AIT ( Ft. Sill) and they are issuing them at basic now. But hey I still yearn for my "choclate chip" DCU's

ynot
03-05-2006, 04:25
Originally posted by pierrebazukhov
Stateside Reserves here, too. I've seen the new uniform mostly on Sergeant Majors or officers Colonel and up, with the occasional PFC or SPC, as Black Tiger said. We're not getting them until 2007 unless something happens (our unit won't be deploying, we've got stateside stuff going on). I've already had to buy a bunch of stuff out of my own pocket that my unit won't issue (don't get me started) to me, so there's no way in hell I'm buying ANY ACU stuff until I absolutely have to.

Anyway, I don't like the idea of velcro-fastened name tapes and unit patches. I can see that they won't stick once the uniforms are a year or two old, although I could be wrong.

The uniform, to me, at least, stinks of "me too," in a time when the Army is trying to sell itself to the public. The uniform may be functional, but I think there's a pr element to it as well.

sorry to hear you guys have to spend your money on uniforms. seems the way things have changed in the military, i am glad i am an old coot and got out before all this new army of one stuff happened. funny the last few so called leaders of our country have been a draft dodger, an air national guard pilot who has yet to prove beyond any doubt that he completed his military service, and the self professed hero kerry, who came back from his short stay in viet nam and joined with jane fonda calling us baby killers, and criminals. boy talk about some leaders that set the example. oh well one thing we don't have to worry about, they might send the military to hell, but they definitely wouldn't lead us there themselves.

shinnix
03-06-2006, 21:05
All the Privates are getting them issued now at their Basic Training. I'm Regular Army at Ft Gordon. All the major installations' Clothing Sales are stocking them. Around here you are more likely to see ACUs than not. I'd say about 75/25 ratio, and growing.

I like them just fine. The pattern works pretty well against green, and I guess the absence of black is what makes them more effective. If they would've selected a darker green than the light sage green, it might not look so weird to some people. The digital pattern was first used by the marines, true, but they copped it from the canadians. I remember see Canadian LNOs as far back as 99 (IIRC) wearing their version.

Now I don't know if it's any more or less effective than the digital patterns, but the German's flectar camo looks the best to me.

16vmkII
03-07-2006, 05:52
I'm on my re-issue. Pockets have ripped, drawstring's seem to break after about a month, some of the stitching rips like around the ass and sleaves, velcro doesn't stick as well as it did originally and the name tapes aren't sticking on the ends, only 1 style of hat and it's heavier than a normal summer pc.

They are more comfortable and if it's hazy/foggy and dusk or nighttime like it always is up here in Mosul, you can't see a person in them at more than 10m.

I give them a 7 out of 10.

sickofsand
03-08-2006, 09:11
I am RA and had mine issued prior to deploying. I think the uniform itself is practical. I was issued the first kind though and all my pants faded after one wash. One thing I would like to see is using color unit patches in garrison.

Biscuitsjam
03-09-2006, 00:53
Originally posted by 16vmkII
only 1 style of hatYou weren't issued both the patrol cap and boonie cap?

LanceS4803
03-10-2006, 12:28
You see a lot of senior NCOs and officers who were issued the ACUs to start the transition. Publicity.
Stateside Reserve and NG will be the last to get them, except if you are heading overseas. You can sit and wiat, or buy your own. I have my 20 year letter and might just ride this last change out without adding more uniforms to an overful closet.

{TEX}Hawaii 5-0
03-15-2006, 17:53
I strongly dislike the new ACUs. Don't camo to desert / urban environment and no branch insignia on officers doesn't help matters.

Halojumper
03-15-2006, 18:41
[i]WTF, over? Heck, the US Marine charaters on the series JAG are still wearing woodland BDUs (and the MARPATs have already been in the system for a while).

[/B]

It must be just you, since there haven't been any new JAG episodes for some time now. I'm thinking around a year. I wouldn't expect any updated uniforms on any episodes you happen to catch.

fitz4609
03-16-2006, 12:23
Thanks to everyone for the input.
It looks like the uniforms are'nt too well received because they don't blend in to much of anything except gray concrete and twilight dust.
I thought that was what the uniform was for, to make it hard for the enemy to spot you.
So much for the concept of camoflage.

CJStudent
03-17-2006, 11:42
My unit (National Guard) is supposed to get the ACUs next month, but I'm not holding my breath. We do have a few people who've volunteered to deploy with other units who came back with them, though.

wrenrj1
03-19-2006, 17:44
Originally posted by fxdwngflyr
Where are you at now? If you are stateside it may be a while for you to get them.

Deploying units, some, are getting them. Guard/Reserve are getting them if they are funded.

Alot of stateside RA dont have them and wont be getting issued them.
I bought my own from USpatriotstore.com in August. I have recently bought more from AAFES.

As far as the Guard is concerned, the uniforms are being distributed in accordance with how well each state did in recruiting believe it or not. Here in NE, we were 22nd, so we're the 22nd state to get an initial allocation of two uniforms per soldier.

Here's the link to the Nebraska National Guard's newspaper, the Prairie Soldier article on the subject. It's a PDF, go to page 4. Also, great article on an ambush of NE Guard toops in Iraq.

http://www.neguard.com/prairiesoldier/PSFeb06.pdf

cobranx
03-20-2006, 09:59
Originally posted by Biscuitsjam
Our brigade was the first to be issued ACU after their official adoption. Here's my assessment:

Good
-The pockets are substantially better than on the old BDUs.
-The uniform is considerably more comfortable than the BDUs.
-It isn't too hot in the summer or cold in the winter, plus it dries out fast.
-Easy to change patches, such as rank.

Bad
-It doesn't look professional, since it always looks wrinkled and sloppy. No starch, etc.
-Patches wrinkle and look bad after just a short while
-Stains really show up since the color is so light.
-airborne, drill sergeant, and all those patches cannot be sewn on. On heavy metal pin-on insignia is allowed (which makes the uniform sag and looks like crap)
-The rank insignia is covered up whenever carrying a rifle with sling.
-The stitching is very low-quality, so the seams burst on the pockets, crotch, seat, etc.
-The camoflage doesn't blend in with ANYTHING. British Lobsterback uniforms would probably hide you better
Unless you were in 2ID, you were not the first to get ACU's. We received them right before we deployed to Iraq. They weren't the digital pattern they were desert and rank was sewn over left breast.

Biscuitsjam
03-23-2006, 11:17
48th Infantry Brigade (mech, sep) - GA ARNG

We were issued our uniforms sometime in January 2005, several months before our deployment (May). Several units had previously worn ACUs to Iraq for testing purposes, but we were told that we were the first Brigade to be issued the new uniforms. There were a lot of photographers, press, and VIPs on hand to see it. We were the first partly through timing and partly because the company making the new uniforms is based in Georgia.

Of course, our leadership didn't want us to damage our shiny new uniforms during training, so we put them away until right before we actually left for Iraq.

GraveroberA1
03-28-2006, 08:45
I'm a contractor on Ft. Huachuca so I've seen lots of the new uniforms (our signal guys are deploying right, left, forwards, backwards, and any other direction you can think of!). Most of the GI's I've talked to like em, and pass on the Do's and Don'ts for how to take care of them.

The biggest problems they gripe about are washing them and stains. They say to make sure and wash "sets" at the same time, don't wash tops and bottoms in different loads or they may come out slightly different colors.

The biggest problem I've seen is the Velcro patches. I've seen people with there unit and combat patches reversed, rank on upside down (and no not LT's and captains, but it is funny to watch them double check ;) ), but I think the worst one was a SSgt yesterday who had the US Flag n upside down.

Halojumper
03-28-2006, 09:06
Originally posted by GraveroberA1
I think the worst one was a SSgt yesterday who had the US Flag n upside down.

You sure he wasn't just from Alabama?

RmeAv8tor
03-28-2006, 14:22
I like the ACU better than the BDU.

BUT......,

The location of the rank is a sexual harassment complaint just waiting to happen.

How do you promote a female soldier who is wearing ACUs? How long can you look upon a woman's breast to see what rank she is?

Also, we should be allowed to velrco on our skill badges as an option.

And I agree that the pattern doesn't seem to work in any of the AORs that I have been deployed to.

DMark
:patriot:

cobranx
03-28-2006, 14:28
I just wear my flight suit every day. I don't remember the last time I wore BDU's :)

wrenrj1
03-28-2006, 18:32
Just saw a set up close on a soldier this week. I've been retired four-years this weekend. Lots of velcroe, I cant help but think about all the stuff that gets caught in velcroe, especially crawling thru brush, woods etc. I realize this may or may not be an issue in an urban or sand environment, but it seems like those spots would collect burrs, small pieces of weeds etc. and have the potential for patches to be pulled off by various obstacles.

I think that perhaps some stuff should be sewn on that's gonna be there for a while.

RmeAv8tor
03-29-2006, 09:19
Originally posted by wrenrj1
.....Lots of velcroe, I cant help but think about all the stuff that gets caught in velcroe.....
Several folks (me included) have the shoulder velrco catch on the hookside backing of our nametag tapes when we cross or reach over with our arms.

DMark

{TEX}Hawaii 5-0
03-29-2006, 17:24
I agree with Buiscuitjams. The 1st unit to receive the ACUs was the GANG, 48th. They were offered to us (3 ID) in late '04 before our deployment in JAN 05, but were turned down. We deployed w/ DCUs.

Juell
04-12-2006, 16:52
I think they're ugly, but hey, we're not in desperate need of a good camoflauge uniform in Iraq. I don't have to press it, or shine the boots, so that saves me some $$$, OTOH I do find spit shining my boots mildly relaxing.
It used to be all the vets in my unit would wear their ACU's to show that they weren't brand new cherrys, but now all the cherrys are coming in wearing ACU's, so now the vets have started wearing BDU's again.:supergrin:

army_eod
04-12-2006, 17:54
I like them. I bought two sets and will pick up a third.
I don't wear my merit badges now because the original intent of the uniform is combat wear and you don't really want pin on badges in combat.

I didn't think I would like them when I first saw the pictures. But they are comfortable. BTW, you can have your firearm DuraCoated in ACU pattern.

Sierra
04-16-2006, 13:34
I retired in 1988 and I remember the complaining when the BDU's entered the system but they were an improvement over the previous fatigues. Sounds like each generation of battle dress gets a little better but I will say that in order to be more GI friendly than Jungle fatigues would be something else.

Another area which has, apparently, gained a massive upgrade is in boots. The Army use to be pretty rigid about uniform items but now they have loosened up. That isn't bad.

FDC
04-16-2006, 14:45
ACUs are decent/comfortable uniforms. Good pockets.

Velcro sucks! What numbnuts proposed that we needed velcro nametags???
Zipper sucks! Come on, WTF are we doing with a ZIPPER on a damn "combat" uniform? Joe and his sewing kit can fix a button, but whatcha gonna do when your zipper breaks???
Pin on badges-pin on are gay, and expensive. If you're going to force pin on crap down everyone's throat, do it right and wear non- subdued.
With the additional cost of the uniform, the velcro patches, the velcro that needs to be replaced on the uniform, the pin on BS, the velcro rank that gets stuck to anything you carry, etc, etc....I can buy a set of BDUs get my crap sewn on, press them, wear them in garrison, and then turn them into field uniforms for cheaper than a set of f'in ACUs.

Oh-not to mention that we deployed with DCUs, so I have craploads of DCUs, but have to buy ACUs? Of course our Rear-D worked some drug deal and got issued ACUs-WTF, over?

RmeAv8tor
04-16-2006, 17:54
Originally posted by FDC
....Pin on badges-pin on are gay, and expensive....
We got the pin-ons because this was the SMA final recommendation to the CSA. The SMA is a LEG.., so he doesn't have to worry about any badges. :freak:

ATW -ABN!

DMark

Halojumper
04-16-2006, 19:44
Dirty leg scum!

AK_Stick
04-16-2006, 19:55
I love the zippers, but then again I'm spoiled by my ABDU's. its nice to be able to zip when your standing under a running APU trying to take a piss on the flight line at 20 below.

But I hate the pin on badge crap, I cant wear my wings, because I cant have pin on, on the flight line.

jetrecbn1
04-22-2006, 19:37
We tested them out at JRTC. They blend in well against the ruble (Shugart/Gordon), but they do not blend in well with the Fort Polk vegetation. Our recomendation was a color a little lighter than the USMC's uniform. I always found that the OG 107's blend in fairly well.

DesertMan
05-13-2006, 13:21
Im a guardsman now in the box. I was issued mine at RFI at Dix and didnt actually recieve them till i was a month in boots on ground. The ones we got issued were actually a size smaller than what we origionally tried on and signed for, for some reason. Plus we are not allowed to dx these in the guard as I am told per supply nco. I still where my DCU's since they are more comfortable. Im not to big fan of the collar even with my armor it still bites into my neck. But other than that the only downfall is having to were pin-ons. Weighs down the left side of the shirt, haha!

RmeAv8tor
05-13-2006, 14:11
Originally posted by DesertMan
...Plus we are not allowed to dx these in the guard as I am told per supply nco...
Not True.

Your supply NCO is BSing you.

If you are deployed.., you are Army Title X.., not Title 32 guard. The money paying for your stuff comes directly from DA/DOD and no longer the NGB. Anybody trying to tell you different is full of it.

If your ACUs aren't fitting them it is CENTCOM's problem and your supply types need to get off their butt's and have them exchanged!

DMark

DesertMan
05-13-2006, 14:49
RmeAv8tor

Thanks for that info. Im going to bring it up to my supply Remf here.

DM
RLTW

FDC
05-13-2006, 15:09
It should be easy to DX at your major FOBS. I KNOW you can around Baghdad, Balad, and Tikrit. Each US MND has some sort of supply function that can handle it.

nothing
05-13-2006, 23:24
My biggest complaint is the velcro pockets. While they are easier to open, if you are trying to be quiet to avoid detection the last thing you need is the sound of velcro ripping open.

RockSix
05-17-2006, 08:35
Originally posted by RmeAv8tor
Not True.

Your supply NCO is BSing you.

If you are deployed.., you are Army Title X.., not Title 32 guard. The money paying for your stuff comes directly from DA/DOD and no longer the NGB. Anybody trying to tell you different is full of it.

If your ACUs aren't fitting them it is CENTCOM's problem and your supply types need to get off their butt's and have them exchanged!

DMark
If your unit doesn't have a PBO you're screwed.

fxdwngflyr
05-19-2006, 06:57
updates on the ACU just go here:

http://www.armyg1.army.mil/hr/Uniform.asp

Best source from DA.