Moto Upgrades [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Moto Upgrades

corona
02-25-2006, 22:32
Lookin to make some upgrades to the 'ol scooter.

http://www.dorkon.com/img/moto.jpg

It's a 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic Fuel Injected. I added Vance and Hines Straight Shots exhaust pipes about three years ago, but I'm ready for some additional power.

I know if I change out the intake, I'll have to add a new programming chip to change the fuel injection.

I'm looking at the Kuryakyn Pro-R Hypercharger for an intake.

http://www.dorkon.com/img/pro_r.jpg

Any thoughts on this intake?
Any recommendations on which fuel injection computer to get?

I'm also looking to upgrade the seat. I've been looking at a Mustang seat. Anyone have any experience with that brand?

http://www.dorkon.com/img/mustang.jpg

Thanks in advance.

gixxer11
02-26-2006, 12:54
Hate to burst your bubble, but none of those "bolt-ons" did or will do anything for power. The hypercharger is a pretty cover and thats it. The pipes MIGHT have added a couple of horse, mostly just made it louder. Tried them , tested them, nothing. The dyno doesn't lie. All that stuff is for image, and nothing more. That engine needs to come apart for any real gains. Save and get some bigger pistons and have the heads cleaned up. Keep the compression down (under 10:1) and you'll have a reliable, streetable, healthier Vulcan. Then you'll take advantage of the pipes you've already got.

corona
02-26-2006, 13:00
Actually the Vulcan 1500s have a highly restricted stock air cleaner assembly. Allowing it to breathe more freely and recalibrating the FI should provide some noticable gains.

You mentioned you've tried and tested that, but on what bike?

gixxer11
02-26-2006, 19:26
Actually the Vulcan 1500s have a highly restricted stock air cleaner assembly. Allowing it to breathe more freely and recalibrating the FI should provide some noticable gains.

Yeah I know. The heads won't breathe much more, either. Getting all the intake and exhaust won't do anything if there is a bottle neck in the flow (i.e. head porting). That bike pretty much bought my house. Nobody else in the shop wanted to work on them. So I volunteered, and learned the "ins&outs" of the bike, and I got every one for about 5 years!

You mentioned you've tried and tested that, but on what bike?

Fuel injected Vulcan 1500s. They are all the same in terms of engine spec (aside from the mean streak). Hey if ya want it then by all means get it! I was just saying I've seen alot of crusiers with all the bolt-on do-dads the owner could find, and listened to them tell me how great it is. Then ride it and run it on the dyno and have to tell them AFTER tuning "it made 60hp and 70ft/lbs". Maybe a 5hp gain max. With all the money spent, they could have had something really nice. Remember, it ain't "custom" if it has a part #. ;c :)

fnfalman
02-27-2006, 13:08
Exhaust and fuel mapping don't really increase that much oomph. You're really lucky if you can get 10 horsies out of it. Usually it's more like 5-HP. If you want more oomph then you either will have to hot rod the engine or buy a faster bike.