New to it [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New to it

BlackPaladin
02-26-2006, 04:16
Enlisted the other day. Don't regret it though support isn't too strong on my side. I will be an MA so the job will be "somewhat" like the one I do regularily. 8 weeks of boot camp at the Great Lakes facility coming up.

rhikdavis
02-26-2006, 05:50
Originally posted by BlackPaladin
Enlisted the other day. Don't regret it though support isn't too strong on my side. I will be an MA so the job will be "somewhat" like the one I do regularily. 8 weeks of boot camp at the Great Lakes facility coming up.

Salute!

vdeleon
02-26-2006, 13:57
Way to go!!!! Got 4 years left..never regret a single day.

Just make sure you have fun...don't take everything to serious. GO NAVY!

Murman
02-26-2006, 15:11
I was an enlisted "snipe" (FN-EM-GSE) for 17.5 years, got commissioned as a Chief Warrant Officer, then went Limited Duty Officer. I have 24.5 years of service.

My son is a GSE3, my wife was an EN3, my dad was a GM1, my future son -in -law is in DEP as a ABE.

We like it, you will too!

Go NAVY!

Murman
LT USN

Crazy Ed
02-27-2006, 00:33
I retired back in 2003 as a Master Chief Boatswain's Mate in EOD. I can still remember back around 74 telling myself I wanted to do 30 years. I think you'll like the MA rate. Had a few friends that were MAs. Things to remember about the Navy:

Never take yourself so seriously that you can't have fun.
Never take yourself so seriously that you deprive others of having fun.
Always volunteer for the duty nobody else wants ... it's the best path to advancement.
Congratuations on your enlistment! You've got the watch, and my gratitude!

Ed

et2mdo
03-01-2006, 09:47
Congratulations on the enlistment. Don't worry about the family support so much... they'll come along eventually. Mine did at least.

Boot camp was a good time. Easiest way to get by in boot camp is to try to stay invisible and remember that it's all just a head game. The RDC's aren't evil, and as a matter of fact they go home every day and laugh about some of the things they say and do.

Also... don't take the pneumonia vaccine if they still give you a choice. I did and it gave me pneumonia.

et2mdo
03-01-2006, 09:50
Oh and one more thing...

just so you aren't surprised, boot camp is really more like 9 weeks instead of 8. You have 8 weeks of traning, but the first week you get there is all in-processing junk and doesn't count toward those training days. Plan on spending at least 9 weeks there and getting to phone home maybe twice.

spober
03-21-2006, 18:46
Originally posted by et2mdo
Oh and one more thing...

just so you aren't surprised, boot camp is really more like 9 weeks instead of 8. You have 8 weeks of traning, but the first week you get there is all in-processing junk and doesn't count toward those training days. Plan on spending at least 9 weeks there and getting to phone home maybe twice.
I went threw san diego back in febuary of 1976.I REMEMBER WE GOT TO CALL HOME MORE THAN TWICE!reason i remember cause after a few times i ran out of folks to call.never been big on the tele even today with cell phones!

rhikdavis
03-21-2006, 18:53
Originally posted by et2mdo
Oh and one more thing...

Don't forget that week of "mess crankin'".... ;f

0400 to midnight wasn't it?

skyboss_4evr
03-21-2006, 22:20
Originally posted by rhikdavis
Don't forget that week of "mess crankin'".... ;f

0400 to midnight wasn't it?

Boy did that suck!!

Crazy Ed
03-22-2006, 00:23
I'll never forget the time I did mess-crankin' on the Constellation back in June/July of 74. Can anyone say "3000 lbs of potatoes" (in one shift)? Thank God for the Tator Tumbler. Hey I ate well though LOL. Onion orders were a chore. Gas masks would have been nice.

Ed ;f

Glock_36
03-22-2006, 13:14
Congratulations and Thank You.:patriot:
My son joined the Navy.:patriot:
He will be in Great Lakes monday evening march 27th.:patriot:
I am a Very Proud Father:patriot:
Take Care and May God Bless You and Keep Watch Over You.:patriot:
John

elcuchillo
03-22-2006, 15:38
Congrats and Good Luck!

The Navy was good to me, and ironically 3 of my best friends. I say ironic, because we didn't all sign up together. We went in at different times for different specs, and don't have a regret in the bunch. The last one in is about to go up for Chief!

Anwyay, I se the Navy as a way to do a valuablr job for the the country, maybe get some job experience for yourself, and get a paycheck (not to mention 3 squars and a roof overhead) while doing it. And if you are lucky as me, spend some time stationed in Honolulu Hawaii!

ElCuchillo
Ex MM3/SS USN
Current Glock Shopper

superhornet
03-23-2006, 09:01
The Navy is a fine service. I was thinking about making it a career but went ahead and got out after only 33 years. Been on the Coral Sea, Intrepid, Indy, Old Roosie, Shang, JFK, Forrestal, Ike. Flew the DEW line on WV2/EC-121K in the early 60's out of Argentia..and Iceland.

Crazy Ed
03-23-2006, 13:24
Originally posted by superhornet
The Navy is a fine service. I was thinking about making it a career but went ahead and got out after only 33 years. Been on the Coral Sea, Intrepid, Indy, Old Roosie, Shang, JFK, Forrestal, Ike. Flew the DEW line on WV2/EC-121K in the early 60's out of Argentia..and Iceland.

I was on the Coral Sea during World Cruise 83. When were you on her?

Ed :beer: :beer: