New MARSOC Insignia [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New MARSOC Insignia


GreenBeret1631
02-26-2006, 13:12
New insignia for Marine Special Forces unit:

reconvic
02-26-2006, 19:11
Thanks for the INTEl G.B. looks nice the patch.
It is still serate from Recon and Force Recon.
From what I heard Recon Battlion will murge.
Force Recon will stand on it own.

Angel Of Death
02-26-2006, 19:27
Hmmmmmm..... kind of boring.

;g

txleapd
02-28-2006, 10:36
Marines don't need flashy... Simple elegance. I like it.

TMG
02-28-2006, 11:27
what does the Spade represent?

GreenBeret1631
02-28-2006, 14:59
Originally posted by TMG
what does the Spade represent?

Usually represents the "Tip of the spear."

The same tip found on most poles used for Unit colors, etc.

GreenBeret1631
02-28-2006, 20:41
from National Defense Magazine

March 2006

Corps' Trainers Target 'Ungoverned' Areas of World

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C.— The first element of the Marine Corps’ new special-operations command already is scrambling to tackle its mission—to help prepare the soldiers of under-developed nations to defend themselves against terrorists.

The foreign military unit, as it has been dubbed, was established in October 2005, said its operations officer, Maj. Herman Glover. Ultimately, it will include 430 Marines and Navy medical corpsmen. The unit will be organized into a headquarters element, four companies built around two-dozen 11-man teams and a standards and training cadre. The companies will focus on specific regions where cultures and languages are similar, Glover said.

“We want to operate in ‘Phase Zero’ countries, Third-World locations where things haven’t gone totally wrong yet.” These include countries in Asia, Africa and South America, he said. Thus far, Glover said, 10 nations have indicated an interest.

Training foreign military personnel has been a core assignment for special operators at least since 1952, when the Army’s Special Forces were founded. But the pace of that training has grown significantly in recent years as part of emerging U.S. counter-terrorist operations. In 2004, in addition to fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan, special operators participated in more than 50 joint combined-exercise training events with other nations around the world.

Marines have begun relieving them of some of that burden. In 2002, Marine Corps Forces Europe took over the training of military units in the former Soviet Republic of Georgia. Since then, Marines have provided schooling for soldiers in wide swaths of Africa, Asia and South America.

The FMTU will centralize and focus those efforts and coordinate them more closely with the U.S. Special Operations Command, Glover explained.

Teams will deploy to host nations for periods ranging from six weeks to three months, he said. They will teach basic infantry and counter-terrorist tactics. Among the subjects will be:

• Individual skills, such as marksmanship with individual and crew-served weapons, hand-to-hand combat, first aid and tactical communications.

• Small-unit tactics, including coastal interdiction, patrolling, offensive and defensive operations, urban shooting skills and civil affairs.

• Anti-terrorism and force protection, such as access control and unit self-defense.

• Support functions, including basic logistics and casualty evacuation.

• Leadership and law of land warfare.

The idea, Glover said, is to enable host-nation forces to target and deny safe haven to terrorists in largely ungoverned parts of the world, such as Africa’s Pan Sahel region, parts of Central Asia and South America’s Andes Mountains.

The FMTU is recruiting mature Marines who can work independently, knowing that their actions can have strategic implications, he said. In fact, the first two teams, which began training in August 2005, are made up entirely of non-commissioned officers with at least one overseas deployment in an infantry unit and foreign language capability.

Once they join the FMTU, Marines will be expected to stay three to five years—a relatively long tour of duty—Glover said. “We will invest a lot of time and money to teach them those skills, and we want to get our money’s worth.”

After their tours in the FMTU is over, Marines can either go back to a regular Marine unit or transfer to another MARSOC element, such as one of the special-operations battalions or the support group.

Teams begin with six months of schooling, a process of “training the trainers,” he said. They learn the use of all standard Marine small arms and crew-served weapons, demolitions, martial arts, first aid, vehicle operations, tactical planning, fire-support techniques and the art of advising foreign military personnel.

The FMTU also plans to teach its members how to use and maintain foreign military weapons and how to pass those skills to their students in other lands. “We want our teams to teach soldiers from other countries how to use the weapons they already have—not ours’,” Glover said.

For use in these classes, the unit is in the process of borrowing foreign weapons from Special Forces at nearby Fort Bragg, he said. Included are the AK-47 assault rifle and RPK light machine gun, both developed by the Soviet Union, plus the Fusil Automatique Leger (light automatic rifle), manufactured by Fabrique National, of Belgium. All fire 7.62 mm rounds, the NATO standard.

In addition, to help its teams function independently in foreign lands, the FMTU is working with the Corps’ new center for advanced operational culture learning to teach language skills and regional awareness. (see related story)

The first team is scheduled to deploy this summer to an undisclosed country in Africa. The FMTU plans to train eight teams a year.

-Harold Kennedy

Tampico
02-28-2006, 22:08
Originally posted by GreenBeret1631
Usually represents the "Tip of the spear."

The same tip found on most poles used for Unit colors, etc.

Poles! Poles?

How 'bout a Guidon there, Recruit!?

Sgt. Rambo
03-08-2006, 11:34
Originally posted by Tampico
Poles! Poles?

How 'bout a Guidon there, Recruit!?

Get that recruit to the stinkin pit til he can spell Guidon or climb a pole with his a%*hole!!!.....LOL (uh oh...flashback...lol)

GreenBeret1631
03-10-2006, 00:20
Originally posted by Sgt. Rambo
Get that recruit to the stinkin pit til he can spell Guidon or climb a pole with his a%*hole!!!.....LOL (uh oh...flashback...lol)

It's a guidon when ya place the guidon on the stinking POLE! ;g

E4E
04-01-2006, 21:27
As long as the skills are shared fleet wide.

And the matter of the skills being common amoung all Marines.

I have no issue with the Patch.

Our own Army is weak and worthless thanks to the delusion of certain folks being "Elite".

They take great effort to seperate each other into categorys and all that, based upon the availability and passing of training.

It's complete Bull****.


Our Corp's is based upon every Marine being a Rifleman.

I will accept nothing less.
Nor accept any qualification above that mark.

Call me old school.
It's worked this long.


E4E

MR. Fantastic
04-05-2006, 03:02
Damn, that insignia makes me want to go back in and give it a shot.

GreenBeret1631
04-22-2006, 12:29
Originally posted by E4E
As long as the skills are shared fleet wide.

And the matter of the skills being common amoung all Marines.

I have no issue with the Patch.

Our own Army is weak and worthless thanks to the delusion of certain folks being "Elite".

They take great effort to seperate each other into categorys and all that, based upon the availability and passing of training.

It's complete Bull****.


Our Corp's is based upon every Marine being a Rifleman.

I will accept nothing less.
Nor accept any qualification above that mark.

Call me old school.
It's worked this long.


E4E

So all Marines are going to learn a foreign language now? Are all Marines going to be Airborne and SCUBA qualified too?

In reading you're remarks here, I see a vast lack of knowledge about the Special Operations community. As well as the Army.

One of the biggest reasons that the USMC has not been active in SOCOM, has been because of people, that think like you. If this particular venture for the USMC fails, it will be because of people that think like you.

As for the efficiency of Special Operations, I would ask you to look at Afganistan (And throughout the world.) and the operations of the Special Forces, SEALs and Rangers teams there. SF and the allied warlords took that country from the Taliban.

BTW: I have the highest respect for the USMC and in particular Force Recon. with whom I have worked with on ocassion.

I find your remarks sort of unnecessary, insulting to another Service, childish and ignorant of the currant operational facts.

Semper Fi!

reconvic
04-22-2006, 13:27
Originally posted by GreenBeret1631
So all Marines are going to learn a foreign language now? Are all Marines going to be Airborne and SCUBA qualified too?

In reading you're remarks here, I see a vast lack of knowledge about the Special Operations community. As well as the Army.

One of the biggest reasons that the USMC has not been active in SOCOM, has been because of people, that think like you. If this particular venture for the USMC fails, it will be because of people that think like you.

As for the efficiency of Special Operations, I would ask you to look at Afganistan (And throughout the world.) and the operations of the Special Forces, SEALs and Rangers teams there. SF and the allied warlords took that country from the Taliban.

BTW: I have the highest respect for the USMC and in particular Force Recon. with whom I have worked with on ocassion.

I find your remarks sort of unnecessary, insulting to another Service, childish and ignorant of the currant operational facts.

Semper Fi!


+1

reconvic
05-15-2006, 23:23
Missions
Detachment One conducted operations in Iraq with Naval Special Warfare Squadron One. The unit can conduct direct combat action, long range reconnaissance, covert raids, TRAP (Tactical Recovery of Aircraft Personnel), vessel search and seizure, coalition support missions and on a limited scale foreign internal defense operations.

[edit]
Training and selection
All recruits for Detachment One are taken from the Marine Corps' Force Recon companies. After being selected the Marines go through a Marine Special Ops training course. The original Marines picked to form the detachment were hand picked from over 500 personnel records.

[edit]
Insignia
comes from the World War II Marine Raider's patch, a blue patch with a skull and stars. The parachute wings represent airborne qualified status and the mask above it represents the combat diver qualification.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/reconvic/MCSOCOMpatch.jpg

RoyG
05-16-2006, 13:13
FYI


TOTS (http://www.socom.mil/TOTS/2006/02/Web_Apr_06.pdf)

http://www.socom.mil/images/ussocom_logo.jpg

reconvic
05-17-2006, 16:03
Originally posted by RoyG
FYI


TOTS (http://www.socom.mil/TOTS/2006/02/Web_Apr_06.pdf)

http://www.socom.mil/images/ussocom_logo.jpg


FYI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MCSOCOM_Detachment_One#Missions