Any other divers here? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any other divers here?

Crazy Ed
02-27-2006, 00:37
Doesn't matter what kind. I've worked with them all. Salvage, UCT, SEAL, and of course EOD.

Two!

Ed

TScottW99
03-07-2006, 16:03
I was on a salvage ship, USS Brunswick ATS-3 from 93-95. Not a diver but had a good many friends who were. Sad that she is now a South Korean ship.

Crazy Ed
03-07-2006, 17:06
That is sad about the Brunswick. The salvage diving world has gone through a lot of changes in the last 5 years.

Ed

GreenBeret1631
03-07-2006, 20:49
Originally posted by Crazy Ed
Doesn't matter what kind. I've worked with them all. Salvage, UCT, SEAL, and of course EOD.

Two!

Ed

Yes! I'm a military SCUBA diver! Graduated from the SF course at Key West, FL. I'm also a PADI Master Diver.

Crazy Ed
03-07-2006, 21:18
Originally posted by GreenBeret1631
Yes! I'm a military SCUBA diver! Graduated from the SF course at Key West, FL. I'm also a PADI Master Diver.

Good to meet you! ;c ;c ;c

TScottW99
03-07-2006, 21:46
Originally posted by Crazy Ed
That is sad about the Brunswick. The salvage diving world has gone through a lot of changes in the last 5 years.

Ed

What's been going on with the Salvage units? Caught the last 15 minutes of the history channel's navy diver program a couple months ago. Saw one of my friends at the very end. Surprised to see him working in the experimental diving unit now.

Crazy Ed
03-07-2006, 22:42
Originally posted by TScottW99
What's been going on with the Salvage units? Caught the last 15 minutes of the history channel's navy diver program a couple months ago. Saw one of my friends at the very end. Surprised to see him working in the experimental diving unit now.

Back when I was the Command Master Chief of an EOD Mobile Unit, around 96, there was a major shift in chain of command and the salvage units actually fell under EOD. They were having a real hard time justifying their existence. It was one of those deals where the cost to train and maintain the salvage units wasn't providing a good return on investment with respect to actual fleet needs. It made no sense to me ... but then again I was just a Master Chief. What do I know? ;g Don't take this to the bank cuz my mind is a little fuzzy, but it seems they ended up closing down a lot of the dive lockers at the SIMAs. That would certainly explain why your friend ended up at NEDU. Unless he was just nuts and volunteered for it.

Ed

Navy HMC
03-08-2006, 06:10
Originally posted by TScottW99
I was on a salvage ship, USS Brunswick ATS-3 from 93-95. Not a diver but had a good many friends who were. Sad that she is now a South Korean ship.

I saw the former USS Brunswick while I was in Korea for a joint exercise last year. At least she still looked good for an old lady. ROKN seemdd to be taking good care of her.

Not a navy diver try as i may to get into the school, it wasn't to be. My problem: HM2 they wouldn't let us go to the school. Dive medicine, yes, but not dive school. this is even after I have been a certified diver for over 15 years at the time (I got YMCA cert in '84 and PADI in '87)

Have had geed times with the one's I ran into in Kuwait. There are a few good wrecks in the Persian Gulf to look at still. And mines, and Unexploded ordanance, and mines, etc.