Quick Tire Sizing Info. Needed! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Quick Tire Sizing Info. Needed!

wrenrj1
02-28-2006, 18:06
I bought new tires for my 1981 KZ 550 (Dunlop 404's). It has the original tires on it and is in need of new rubber. bought a set of Dunlop 404's but am concerned that I may not have gotten the right size. I haven't found a good size conversion chart to make sure.

Here's what I got:

Old New

3.25 X 19 100/90 X 19

3.75 X 18 110/90 X 18

Can someone confirm that this conversion is correct? I looked at the front tire, and the new on looks wider. I'm planning on taking it in on Wednesday (tomorrow) since it's actually gonna be in the 60's here in NE.

Quick responses would be greatly appreciated!

fnfalman
02-28-2006, 18:24
I'm afraid I can't help you here.

wrenrj1
02-28-2006, 18:27
Originally posted by fnfalman
I'm afraid I can't help you here.

I would have expected much, much more from you fnfalman! You Californians know everything about motorcycles. I still don't understand how you guys go between lanes.

gixxer11
02-28-2006, 19:00
A 90/90 would have been closer to factory size, but as long as nothing rubs, you'll be fine. Steering maybe a little quicker (maybe) as the tire will be more "rounded". The same goes for the rear. A 100/90 would have been closer. You should be fine. There's plenty of room on those older bikes. Check your chain clearance. Have fun!

fnfalman
03-01-2006, 09:15
wrenrj,

I think that Gixxer11 makes a lot of sense. It comes to a point where you'll have to find the closest size to the original and go for it.

Have you checked with other tire manufacturers to see if they have something in your original sizes?

Also, splitting lane is a fact of life in California unless you like to paddle your bike five feet at a time behind five hundred thousand cars, sucking in their fumes while your bike's burning up.

I use my bikes to go everywhere, rain or shine. Well, if it's pouring and I can't see out of the visor then I'll take the car. Otherwise, I don the Gore-Tex lined textile gear and go. I hated it when I go Phoenix or Albuquerque and get stuck in traffic. It's not as bad as it would have been in SoCal but it's still miserable.

Lane splitting is a lot safer than riding directly behind a cager and have another cager play moto sandwich with you.

wrenrj1
03-01-2006, 10:47
Thanks for the replies. My only concern is with the front and the clearance with the front fender. The front tire looks like its bigger than the original (and I mean original 1981 tire) The rear looks to have plenty of room.

I'll have them put on today and we'll see if there's an issue. If so, I'll drop down to the narrower front tire.

wrenrj1
03-02-2006, 18:36
Looks like everything fit. Only issue was that the temps dropped from 74 degrees yesterday when I dropped her off to 46 degrees today when I picked her up. It was a cold ride home...Thanks for the replies.

Lone Wolff
03-02-2006, 18:51
Hey Wren,
Did you go to StarCityMotorsports? Just curious. Their service guys seem a lot more informed than the sales staff, but I imagine that's not too uncommon, esp in larger dealers. I would imagine they'd make sure you were OK with what you had, or they wouldn't have sent you home with them.

wrenrj1
03-02-2006, 18:55
Originally posted by Lone Wolff
Hey Wren,
Did you go to StarCityMotorsports? Just curious. Their service guys seem a lot more informed than the sales staff, but I imagine that's not too uncommon, esp in larger dealers. I would imagine they'd make sure you were OK with what you had, or they wouldn't have sent you home with them.

Hey Lone Wolff,

I bought my tires there, but had them put on at Rods Powersports and saved about 40 bucks on the install, plus I live on the south side of town. Star City is pretty expensive. I bought four spark plugs from them this week that I should have ordered over the internet and with shipping still would have saved a few bucks.

I put on a set of Dunlop 404's by the way.

fnfalman
03-03-2006, 08:54
Don't forget to check the handling to see if the slightly wider front tire will make it tougher for you to lean into a corner.

wrenrj1
03-03-2006, 17:48
Originally posted by fnfalman
Don't forget to check the handling to see if the slightly wider front tire will make it tougher for you to lean into a corner.

Thanks for the advice. The old tire was the orignal old fashioned tread that felt a bit unsure in cornering as well as it's ability to get into grooves/cracks etc. Just driving home the whole bike felt like it gripped a whole lot better. Big problem here is all the gravel on the streets from the .1 inch snow we had a few weeks ago, and I mean .1 inch!