2000 GMC Sierra question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 2000 GMC Sierra question

shadow_dog
02-28-2006, 19:24
I have a 2000 GMC Sierra with the 5300 engine. When the motor is cold and I start it, it sounds like a lifter or valve ticking pretty loud, after the motor warms up, the noise is gone. I started using Valvoline synthetic oil hoping it would stop or quieten down but it didn't help. Any thoughts as to what it is?

TIA

OUSooner
02-28-2006, 20:16
Make sure it's not an exhaust leak. That sounds a lot like a lifter. I would tighten up both sides of the exhaust manifold and also tighten where the exhaust pipes hook up to the manifold(should be about 3 screws on each side there)and see if the problem is gone. If if is lifters then you can start by dumping your oil and getting a high quality free flow oil filter and put 5W 30 oil back in it.

Detroit454
03-01-2006, 09:15
Originally posted by shadow_dog
I have a 2000 GMC Sierra with the 5300 engine. When the motor is cold and I start it, it sounds like a lifter or valve ticking pretty loud, after the motor warms up, the noise is gone. I started using Valvoline synthetic oil hoping it would stop or quieten down but it didn't help. Any thoughts as to what it is?

TIA
More then likely piston slap, it goes away after warm up right? It's chariteristic of most GM truck motors nothing to worry about.

knightkrawler00
03-01-2006, 14:32
+1 on piston slap. Normal condition on the new generation V-8's from GM. The 6.0's are exceptionally loud. The pistons in the new engines don't have much for a skirt on them, to keep weight down, which allows them to rock in the bore until they warm and expand to fit the bore properly.

avmech
03-01-2006, 15:28
long time problem................haven't noticed it in my 2003 tho (80,000 miles).....my 99 did it every time

shadow_dog
03-02-2006, 01:17
Thanks for the replies. It has done it a very faintly since it was new, the dealer said it was normal. It has just gotten louder since it got about 71K on it. It now has 78K. I'm just probably paranoid since it is out of warranty now. Other than that I like the truck and plan on driving it till it falls apart.

beavis1957
03-02-2006, 20:16
2001 Silverado here....Does it every time. Every 5.3 I've ever seen does it...my dad's 2000 Tahoe included. It's annoying, but that's just the way it is.

I can't complain though, my Z's been a great truck.

KRS62
06-04-2006, 17:41
Hello there, I did a quick search on GMC Sierra and came across this thread so I thought I would post a question. I am thinking of selling my 2003 Yukon and getting an older (2000 or 2001) GMC Sierra or the Chevy version. The truck would be more useful to me at this point of my life and it would also be nice to lower my payment/debt.

Sounds like you guys are liking your rides.....is that the case? Any certain year to stay away from? Any other advice you care to share?

Thanks!

KRS

knightkrawler00
06-04-2006, 20:55
I don't own one, but I worked as a tech. for GM for the last eight years, until I switched over to Toyota a couple months ago. It sounds like you are looking for the right years. The engines were still new, but never had serious problems anyway. The transmissions were older but proven, as well as the rest of the drive train. Stay away from the fully loaded trucks, all the extra bells and whistles really take a tole on the operating systems and causes problems with some of the modules. Nicely equipped trucks were fine. 2004 and newer trucks went to a really small diameter wire for the electrical systems which has caused a lot of head-aches. 2004 was also the first year for the updated half ton automatic transmission, which is still causing head aches. If it were me, I would look into a 2000-2003 model year. When you do look at a truck, pull the instrument cluster bezel back, it just snaps in, and see if it is clean or full of dirt. You don't want a farm truck no matter what brand and most detail shops can clean them up to look like it never saw off-road.

Good luck, I hope this answers some of your questions.

KRS62
06-05-2006, 08:05
Originally posted by knightkrawler00
I don't own one, but I worked as a tech. for GM for the last eight years, until I switched over to Toyota a couple months ago. It sounds like you are looking for the right years. The engines were still new, but never had serious problems anyway. The transmissions were older but proven, as well as the rest of the drive train. Stay away from the fully loaded trucks, all the extra bells and whistles really take a tole on the operating systems and causes problems with some of the modules. Nicely equipped trucks were fine. 2004 and newer trucks went to a really small diameter wire for the electrical systems which has caused a lot of head-aches. 2004 was also the first year for the updated half ton automatic transmission, which is still causing head aches. If it were me, I would look into a 2000-2003 model year. When you do look at a truck, pull the instrument cluster bezel back, it just snaps in, and see if it is clean or full of dirt. You don't want a farm truck no matter what brand and most detail shops can clean them up to look like it never saw off-road.

Good luck, I hope this answers some of your questions.

Awesome info man....thanks!!! KRS