Why my civilian friends will never hear my Subic Bay stories [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why my civilian friends will never hear my Subic Bay stories

JDM2126
02-28-2006, 18:41
They could never comprehend it. Heck, I couldn't on my first trip down Magsaysay street .

Six stops in Subic over two floats, 1983 and 1984. Our Westpac home away from home. Could never understand how a Marine stationed at Marine Barracks Subic could make it for two years without literally partying himself to death.

The new Leathernecks here never got to go there, and that's a shame. Some day the term "Old Corps" will include the Marines who pulled libbo in Subic and at NAS Cubi Point (the best club, hands down, there ever was--EVER!)

Westpac libbo was something else-- Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, Thailand, Korea, Japan-- each place was special in its own way. But we'll never see the likes of Subic Bay again.

lethrnk
03-01-2006, 13:31
I gotta agree about Subic Bay and Olangapo City... WOW... I was there on a 96 from Okinawa in the mid 70's... Great bands, great looking women, San Miguel, great looking women... Jeepnies, Did I mention the women? I often wonder what it is like now...

03-04-2006, 12:21
If you think you got some stories from visiting... San Miguel was my first duty station before everything went to hell (I was there 75-76) and I spent a fair amount of time in Olangapo.

I stopped there overnight once after the volcano left ash everywhere and it was amazing. Life went on as if not much had changed.

JDM2126
03-04-2006, 15:01
There were still some Vietnam era guys still serving in my unit when I hit Subic/Olongapo for the first time in 1983, and they said it had tamed down quite a bit.

Buddy, if that was tame, it must have really been wild in the 60's and 70's!

In 1983, you could still walk across the S*** River bridge and toss coins to the girls in the canoes; a year later, the authorities had built a cover over the bridge, preventing you from any contact with the boat girls.

The girls in the 'Po had all the best intel-- they knew our sailing date before we did, and when we were coming back.

I also remember how poor the villagers were out in the training areas, and how we would trade our C-ration trash, expended brass, and a few cases of C-rats for lumpia, rice, cold bottled drinks, and no uninvited guests inside the perimeter. We had a SSgt in our company who had been born in the Phillipines, and he did all of bargaining for our outfit. Never had any problems. You could see the huts the villagers built with the C-ration boxes-- I'm talking poor!

I'm sorry we could not work out a deal to keep our bases there-- I considered them then to be staunch allies, and still do. Phillipinos were proud of their country, and worked very hard. My big regret is that I never got to see Manila, one of Asia's great cities.

eljay45
03-05-2006, 12:11
I spent some time in Olongapo in 75 and 76 when I was deployed with the 31st MAU. Here's a pic of some of us at the New Florida Club in Oct 75

charlisity
03-06-2006, 21:55
I miss the chrome jeepy looking lighted bus/trucks. I would run and catch a ride just for the fun. I miss the lumpia too.

glkdawg45
03-08-2006, 15:52
Originally posted by lethrnk
I often wonder what it is like now...

I got a chance to go over there twice. I've always wondered what happened after we left. Check out these links

subicbaypi (http://www.subicbaypi.com)

http://filipinawives.com/memorial.html

This is the BEST subicbaymarines (http://www.subicbaymarines.com/)

SoFlaDeputy
03-08-2006, 19:40
Served in 2/2 2nd Mar Div 85-91. Pleanty of L.B.F.M.'s to go around, all my buddies and I did was dive the wrecks of Subic Bay & and drink San Miguel & Bullfrog by the pitcher! Who knows mabey I just buy some property and retire there, home prices in South Florida are NUTS !! :cool:

Staticx682000
03-09-2006, 19:44
God im still hung over from all the bull frog and mo-jo.....I can still smell the stank from crap river..lol

Warhorse
03-18-2006, 05:59
I was at Subic Bay four times in the years of "77 and '78. Three of those times on various floats, the fourth time...well, lets just not talk about my 18 days of leave spent there!

E4E
03-24-2006, 23:46
Spent a couple of days there.:supergrin:

Lost a Subordinate in 88' that was to be processed through and went UA.

Got a Phone call at 0430 asking for the "General in charge of MCSF Diego Garcia" from the Smurfs at Angeles a couple months later.

It seems My Private had won a Bar in a card Game, bought a good looking I.D and had established himself amoung the locals with a black market operation or two, and settled in.

I hated the whole thing in the end.

The maggot had already set up health checks for the Bar whores, and established a network with the local Black market to support the local community.

Good people outnumbered those that were needing a bullet.

The P.I. is what it is.

Good people.

Would gladly trade the French and Germans for the Flips as allies.

The New Breed ain't got a clue as to how spoiled we were.

I hope the good folks in the P.I. are doing well since the pull out.

Met several friends there.

I wish them well.
E4E

E__WOK
03-26-2006, 19:41
Originally posted by charlisity
I miss the chrome jeepy looking lighted bus/trucks. I would run and catch a ride just for the fun. I miss the lumpia too.

They are called Jeepnies. Don't know if the spelling is correct. Those guys drive hella fast.

VAshooter
03-27-2006, 13:35
I spent some time in Subic Bay in 1965 and early 66. Back then you could change $5.00 US for Pesos and have change left after a night in town. We all drank San Miguel beer with ice to keep it cool. I ran with the same girls you guys did but they were younger when I was there.

SAMSON MAC
05-12-2006, 19:25
Man that Red Horse Beer was something else. Nov of 89 through March of 90. When the Battle groups would sail in we had a time with Shore Patrol after us. It seemed if the saw a Marine hair cut they would be ready to "try" and bash our heads in. :supergrin:

glkdawg45
05-12-2006, 19:49
Originally posted by VAshooter
I ran with the same girls you guys did but they were younger when I was there.

:laughabove:

By the time I was there, "88 & "91, They were the moms and grandmothers of the ones we were chasing.:supergrin: :ladiesman: :drunk: :banana: :banana:

joel724
05-18-2006, 10:15
Ohhhhh , How I miss that place. Subic was my first duty station out of SOI. I was with MARBKS , Bco. 2nd Plt. Devil Hogs! out of Cubi Point. I was very spoiled!! I used to have nightmares about leaving the place. I was one the last men out when we closed the base in 92. I did not want to leave. Miss the San Miguel , the bars , the bar fines and Subic City.Oh, I escaped PI without any officer hours or NJP. Go Figure?!

JDM2126
05-21-2006, 13:23
They could have restricted my libo to Cubi Point, and it would be like winning the lotto.

BTW joel724, my good buddy Bob Richardson was the barracks XO when they closed down the joint. He said that the ash from Mt. Pinatubo had screwed everything up.

By today's standards, if you ever pulled liberty in the 'Po, you are "Old Corps"!

glkdawg45
05-21-2006, 15:22
Go to my first post on this, click on the subicbaypi, scroll down towards the bottom, and you can find pictures, after Mt. Pinatubo(spelling) eruptied.
Last time I was there, late 1991, there was still a lot of ash everywhere. The ash was so heavy, it colasped the roof of the Sky Club.

So I'm now "Old Corps", who would have ever guessd.:supergrin:

joel724
05-22-2006, 06:55
I do remember LtCol. Richardson. I only recieted his name a million times during Guard Mount! Yes the ash was still all over the place when we left. And we were still feeling little earthquakes daily. I believe someone said that Pinatubo was the largest explosion of the 20th century.As far as being Old Breed, I guess you become old breed everytime the Corps changes cammies!

able1234
05-22-2006, 10:27
When I was in, those who had a higher serial number then we had were boots to us. Do not know about "Old Breed" maybe those with real Serial Numbers were "Old Breed? Any way if you earned the right to be called a Marine, you eventually become "Old Breed".