Help a young man decide. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help a young man decide.

A_Fletcher
03-01-2006, 20:16
All of my life, I have felt a calling for the military. As I grew older and matured, I've decided that being a Marine is what I would like to be. This is not a trolling attempt, nor an attempt to pick a fight. I simply cannot decide between the Infantry or Military Police. Does anyone have any advice or any reason I should go into one or the other and for how long I should sign? Thank all of you for your help.

USMC03Grunt
03-02-2006, 05:20
GRUNT!!!Cause everything else is just support!~2

A_Fletcher
03-02-2006, 07:06
I almost forgot. Would I be able to enlist with a waiver for tattoo's? Also, be able to enlist and get it in contract where I visit Japan sometime in my tour?

USMCGrunt
03-02-2006, 09:56
All of the MP's that I know of are glorified GRUNTS!! One thing to keep in mind (and I tell almost everyone that I talk to about the military) is pick a job that will give you some skills once you get out at the end of your contract. The air wing is a good choice. With the infantry about all you can do is security. Military Police are okay if you are looking for a future job in Law Enforcement. If you like walking EVERYWHERE you go while others fly or ride trucks past you on the road, the go for the infantry!;f

reconvic
03-02-2006, 20:50
I was only 17 when I joined the Corps, after high school.
Iffin I had to do it over I would have went to school first then become a Marine. Forget about your MOS's first become a Marine!
I was a Grunt, Motarman 81's and Recon Marine. I have no regets but had to work harder in life to get a good good.
My 2 cents.

Princifur
03-02-2006, 21:26
+1 for picking a MOS that will increase your marketable skills. The entire Marine Corps is built around the Infantry. Everybody from General Pace on down is quite literally either A) Infantry or B) Supporting the Infantry. So the previous poster was right in saying that everything else is just support.

There are a lot of things to consider when picking your MOS. It looks like you've narrowed it down to either Military Police or Infantry. The Grunts do a lot of the cool stuff. They are the guys that we idolize and tell stories about. They're the "tip of the spear," they're the ones that do most of the fighting, and they are real (I say this with no trace of sarcasm) American Heroes. America loves the Infantry of the Marine Corps. When was the last time you saw a movie about LCpl Johnson the Admin Clerk? There are a lot of good reasons to join the Infantry.

BUT!!!!! - As a Marine of any MOS you will go through boot camp and MCT; You will get hands on time with most of the cool stuff that the Infantry guys do; and most importantly, you will be a MARINE.

The Marine Corps would not function without bodies in every MOS. If it wasn't for the guys in supply, where would the Grunts get their ammo and chow? If it wasn't for the Marines working in Motor T, the Grunts really would walk everywhere. (Contrary to what they say, they do gratefully accept rides from time to time.) The list goes on an on... but I hope I made my point - an office pogie (or any other form of Marine) is no less or more a Marine than a battle-hardened Grunt and the well-oiled machine that is the Marine Corps would come to a screeching halt if the Marines of one MOS or another failed to complete their respective tasks.

I know why you want to be in the Infantry. You want to kick some @$$. You WILL do that as a grunt. You've got to ask yourself some questions and look over some facts to see if the Infantry is really right for you.

-Do you want to spend the rest of your life in the Marine Corps? Because if you don't that means that you will eventually have to make the transistion back into civilian life. When you do that, you will want to have marketable skills to generate your living off of. Though the Infantry is a really cool place to be, it doesn't set you up that well for civilian life.

-Do you have a wife or are you in a serious relationship? No matter what your MOS is, she'll worry about you when you're deployed. However, if you're in the Infantry, that will be even harder on her.

-Other than guns, do you have any hobbies that you'd like to develop more? You can be a deisel mechanic in the Marines, you can cook, you can mess around with computers and a lot of other cool stuff. When you get out, your hobby-turned-MOS might be your MOS-turned-career. And who knows... you might (dare I suggest it?) ... enjoy going to work every day.

-How are your knees? If you have ever had problem with them... don't join the Infantry. 'nuff said.

-Were you into contact sports? Do you like guns? If so, you could be Infantry material.

I would expand my list of possible MOS's if I were you. When I was at OCS, the Company 1stSgt walked up to me and wanted to know what I hoped the Marine Corps would assign me as an MOS. (yeah, officers don't really get to pick their own MOS's) When I replied that I was hoping for Combat Engineers, he asked me why. I opted for the politically correct answer and replied that I had a degree in Civil Engineering and that I could use it best in that particular MOS. He came back with "No you don't... you want to be an Engineer so that you can stick a bangalore up Osama Bin Laden's *****!" -Sounds pretty close to Infantry to me!

Mr. Fletcher - if you got nothing else out of this post, take this advice. DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY!!! -Not what would make your dad and mom happy, and not what is "Fun" (which is often confused happy, but I can name a lot of "fun" things that will make you very unhappy a little while later.)

I'm a Midshipman. I've spent the last 5 years contemplating my perfect MOS and like I said earlier, when I get to TBS I hope that they do make me an Engineer. But you know what? My number two pick is Infantry.

Semper Fi and best of luck to you.

A_Fletcher
03-03-2006, 08:43
Thank you all for your help. It is greatly appreciated!

recondoc
03-08-2006, 09:46
I'll start out by stating that I love My Marines. (I just don't love my marines. :) ) I'll stand side by side with any of my bros and will throw down in a fight between Marines and Navy with my Marines. The only thing the Navy ever did for me was wright my orders to go with the Marines and write me a paycheck when they remembered that I existed. As one of the fewer, prouder, Bastard Children of the Navy/Marine Corps, I'll put in a vote for looking into becoming a Corpsman. (Yes it means joining the Navy but you will be able to tolerate your time there until you finish training and get sent to the Men's Department of the Navy.)
Once assigned to the Marines and you have earned (and I do mean earned here) their respect, they will start to call you Doc. In every unit I was assigned to, my Marines treated me as an equal and with the upmost respect for what I was there to do and what I whatever it took to do to get the job done. (Inocculating the enemy with lead considerably drops the risk of one of my Marines being injured. As a health and safety supervisor, preventive medicine is very important.)
I made friends and brothers for life in my time in Iraq. I saw some things there and lived things there that will be with me for ever. Not many were pleasant but such is the job. We do what needs to get done no matter how messy. When your Marines rest, you busy yourself with checking them out. There isn't much rest for the Doc but you learn to push beyone anything that you thought you were capable of and drive on. We become the maintainence technicians on the most formidable killing machines on the planet, a U.S. Marine with a good rifle.
With my skills as a Corpman under my belt, I was able to walk into a job in a Cardiac Cath/ Electrophysiology Lab upon getting out. I'm now pulling down more that I've ever imagined and am looking at being promoted and having my pay increased again. It will be nice when I make it to just under the six figure range in another year or two. That's something to consider when picking an MOS.
http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/2563/akdocsm8ru.th.jpg (http://img123.imageshack.us/my.php?image=akdocsm8ru.jpg)
I hope this helps,
Doc

reconvic
03-08-2006, 15:55
I have always respected Corpsman. On my team in the Nam we had a "Doc" they are Marines in a Navy uniform. Corpsman up must have been hell at times, yet never seen one I didn't respect as a Marine.

Originally posted by recondoc
I'll start out by stating that I love My Marines. (I just don't love my marines. :) ) I'll stand side by side with any of my bros and will throw down in a fight between Marines and Navy with my Marines. The only thing the Navy ever did for me was wright my orders to go with the Marines and write me a paycheck when they remembered that I existed. As one of the fewer, prouder, Bastard Children of the Navy/Marine Corps, I'll put in a vote for looking into becoming a Corpsman. (Yes it means joining the Navy but you will be able to tolerate your time there until you finish training and get sent to the Men's Department of the Navy.)
Once assigned to the Marines and you have earned (and I do mean earned here) their respect, they will start to call you Doc. In every unit I was assigned to, my Marines treated me as an equal and with the upmost respect for what I was there to do and what I whatever it took to do to get the job done. (Inocculating the enemy with lead considerably drops the risk of one of my Marines being injured. As a health and safety supervisor, preventive medicine is very important.)
I made friends and brothers for life in my time in Iraq. I saw some things there and lived things there that will be with me for ever. Not many were pleasant but such is the job. We do what needs to get done no matter how messy. When your Marines rest, you busy yourself with checking them out. There isn't much rest for the Doc but you learn to push beyone anything that you thought you were capable of and drive on. We become the maintainence technicians on the most formidable killing machines on the planet, a U.S. Marine with a good rifle.
With my skills as a Corpman under my belt, I was able to walk into a job in a Cardiac Cath/ Electrophysiology Lab upon getting out. I'm now pulling down more that I've ever imagined and am looking at being promoted and having my pay increased again. It will be nice when I make it to just under the six figure range in another year or two. That's something to consider when picking an MOS.
http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/2563/akdocsm8ru.th.jpg (http://img123.imageshack.us/my.php?image=akdocsm8ru.jpg)
I hope this helps,
Doc

recondoc
03-09-2006, 01:15
Ooooorraahh! Vic,
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/4020/fmfcaduces1alpha4sg.jpg (http://imageshack.us)http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/793/4threconavatar9ci.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Doc

NeilF
03-09-2006, 22:14
Once you get into the Marine Corps you will learn about the "real" corps and the rest of the Marine Corps. It all depends what MOS you have, there is a pecking order on who is a "Real Marine" and the closer you get to the infantry the more of a Real Marine you are.

When I went in I was guaranteed infantry and ended up at MP School, my recruiter lied (MP) and I was able to get to the grunts and eventually ended up in Recon and Force Recon. I loved being in the infantry, but you pay a price for that, you have to do things others do not and your living conditions are a lot worse. At the end of the day whenever you get out of the Marines you will have gotten more out of the "Marine Experience" if you go infantry.

If you want to take an easier path in the Marines, by all means go for it, there are a lot of valuable support troops, but it is not the same thing as being a grunt. Whatever you do, stay away from the MPs, in every branch of the service MPs are looked upon with disdain (except by MPs). I have dozens of friends on Police Departments, LAPD SWAT, etc., and none of them were MPs, so that has no bearing on your ability to get a job as a cop when you get out.

Whatever you decide, my experience has been that the finest people I have ever met and worked with (served with) were those I met in the Marines, especially in Recon and Force Recon. The Marine Corps WITHOUT A DOUBT was the defining experience of my life. After getting out of the corps I went back to college for my Bachelor's Degree and my MBA, and I have been a Director at Fortune 500 companies. Collectively, none of the people I met were as impressive as the Marines that I served with.

Good luck..

Semper Fi

SeriousStudent
03-11-2006, 18:59
God bless all FMF Corpsmen, past, present and future. When you are listening to the dance of the lead bumblebees, they come running. When you are screaming every molecule of air out of your lungs in pain, they come running. When your best friend in the entire world is dying, they come running.

How can a phrase be so comforting, and at the same time, so terrifying? I am talking about hearing the phrase "Corpsman up!"

I'll back up an FMF DevilDoc any day, in any fight, any place. And they will never buy a drink while I'm around.

Infantry has a great deal of pride, justifiably earned. Many of these folks in this thread make a very good case for learning a trade or a skill for civilian life. That's a very good, reasonable thing to do.

Personally, if I wanted to learn a trade, I would have joined the Air Force. If I wanted to save money for college, I would have joined the Army. I am not knocking any other service - please, no flames. My wife is former Air Force, former Army. My brothers in arms in the other services have saved my life, and I am grateful.

But I wanted to be able to stare any one in the eye, and never have to back down, or flinch, or mumble about what might have been. I'm a tired old worn out grunt, and proud to have been one.

glockfoo2u
03-11-2006, 20:56
[QUOTE]Originally posted by USMC03Grunt
GRUNT!!!Cause everything else is just support!~2 [/QUOTE

preach it brother

recondoc
03-12-2006, 06:50
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." - Ronald Reagan

Enough said,
Doc

LittleLebowski
03-12-2006, 11:58
Stay away from the MPs unless you like checking IDs at the front gate and harassing real Marines. Infantry is the Marine Corps.

reconvic
03-12-2006, 14:56
No MOS is more important then another. It takes a team to Adapt, Improvise and Overcome. I was a grunt then later went to Recon Battalion. Nothing changes, first and always Marines are rifleman first! Enuff said.
S.F.Vichttp://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/reconvic/Semper20Fi20best.gif

LittleLebowski
03-12-2006, 21:55
I'd say that the full experience of the Corps is best experienced by being a miserable grunt and grunts are usually miserable. I'd still rather be in a fighting hole miserable than checking email and worrying about my haircut for my SSgt that made Staff in 5 years of working in an Admin office. I understand the whole "every Marine is a rifleman theory" but if you were in Recon Battalion on the West Coast, I'll bet a lot of money you saw all of those sorry WMs in Camp Margarita. Don't tell me you'd go to war with them.

reconvic
03-13-2006, 11:58
I was in 1st Recon Battalion in 70's and there are no GI Janes in Recon. Everybase has BAMS (meant without disrespect). Marines follow orders and no I wouldn't chose to go to a firefight with women, just my take.

Originally posted by LittleLebowski
I'd say that the full experience of the Corps is best experienced by being a miserable grunt and grunts are usually miserable. I'd still rather be in a fighting hole miserable than checking email and worrying about my haircut for my SSgt that made Staff in 5 years of working in an Admin office. I understand the whole "every Marine is a rifleman theory" but if you were in Recon Battalion on the West Coast, I'll bet a lot of money you saw all of those sorry WMs in Camp Margarita. Don't tell me you'd go to war with them.

LittleLebowski
03-13-2006, 11:59
Well, there's tons of WMs in Margarita and you'd vomit when you saw all of the pogues out PTing. I didn't mean to imply there's WMs in Recon or Infantry.

LittleLebowski
03-13-2006, 12:04
Thought I'd mention grunts can move on. I am making almost 6 figures (99K a year) and I was a dumb grunt for 8 and a half years. If you'd joining the Marine Corps to get a job, I'd suggest the Air Force.

NeilF
03-13-2006, 20:09
The comment about WMs at Margarita is talking about today...not about the 70's and the 80's.

I was in 1st Recon Bn in the mid 80's and of course there were no women there.

Recon Bn. and Force Recon moved out of Margarita a long time ago, it is not the Recon base it once was. It was used as a base for a reserve unit for awhile, I am not sure what it is used for now.

But I think that is where the confusion is coming from...

LittleLebowski
03-13-2006, 20:48
Recon Bn's still there as far as I know. They were certainly there when I got out 3 years ago.

able1234
03-13-2006, 21:00
Thanks Doc for everything!

When I was at Pendelton, Force Recon Was at Camp Delmar on the beach, along with Amtracs and Shore party(the guys with the red patchs). 5th Marines were at Margarita. Recon Bn was at Mainside with the 11th Marines.

Times changes everything- except The Marines are still the Marines and if I could do over anything in my life- I would still become a Marine!

NeilF
03-13-2006, 21:10
You are correct about the Margarita location...I had a brain fart...

I was thinking of Margarita because I was in the 5th Marines at Margarita before going on to Recon bn. at Talega...and Recon moved out of Talega along time ago...

Sorry for the confusion...

recondoc
03-13-2006, 21:41
Ahhhh.....Talega. If I never see that hole again, it will be too soon. I think that camp is what inspired the song "A thousand miles from nowhere". :)
Doc

97BRAVO
03-25-2006, 08:53
Interesting... Ill give my .02 cents as a soldier. 1st thing I'd say is if you have ANY aversion to PT at ALL you don't want to REALLY be a Marine. Any Marine of ANY MOS does lots of PT! Even the females! And Marines have the highest PT reqs of ANY branch. In the Army we don't even do pull ups (SF or Ranger MOS aside) and we don't run 3 miles for PT tests. When I was in AIT in the cold desert in the morning there were Marines directly across the pad. Wed be in sweats...the Marines would be in flimsy nylon green shorts and a tshirt sounding off! The Air force and Navy intel company across the pad would be smoking ciggarettes (which we and the marines weren't allowed to do) and playing volleyball or running windsprints on the pad when we headed out to run a few miles and when we got back they'd STILL be playing volleyball and smoking and joking. Every Marine does plenty of PT (and spends more than a day out of a year on the rifle range)
The other thing I'd tell you is the Corps is not a place to enlist if for whatever reason you are adverse to deploying. Active Duty you WILL deploy and even reserve you WILL go. Its just a matter of time. My cousin enlisted in the reserves and he could hardly get out of Comm school before he went to Kuwait. Got back here after a year waited about 8 or 9 months and went to Fallujah. Just got back this past monday and is cooling his jets @ legune before his unit goes back to drilling status. I would not be suprised @ ALL if he winds up with another deployment somewhere over there after another year or so. Keep that in mind.
If you really want infantry or even MP for that matter do it. Getting a job when you get out is up to YOU not neccessarily the MOS you have. You might even get educated in something entirely different from your MOS during your time (if YOU want to) it won't be as easy as say working on jets or Humvees or computers but it can and has been done. One thing about MP is some police departments DO like MP vets and many go to the MPs until they meet the a)age or b) experience requirement to join a Force. If you're thinking federal LEO an active duty MP with a college degree (by the time you get out) and maybe even a language that you picked up overseas will look VERY nicely for an Investigator job. I'm not an MP but have worked with them and CID. Its not a glamour job but it may serve your purposes. A lot of servicemembers don't care for them because some abuse the shield just as cops on the outside do and they are the ones that come pick up drunken infantrymen who've been in the field a little too long and want to fight everyone. So consider the source...
Defintely think about what you want to do when you get out but don't let that be the sole decision on choosing an MOS. Get the experience YOU want out of it and let others get what THEY got out of it.

Rob_0811
03-28-2006, 17:57
go infantry.

E4E
03-28-2006, 22:38
If I had to do it all over again, the only thing I would change is the trust I had in my Recruiter.

I had just Bailed on a College education at a Major University on account of being "Bored" ( Civillian slime excuse for being lazy and lacking any sense of direction.) and figured getting paid to shoot, PT, and raise hell when asked to, wasn't a bad gig.

"Open Contract combat arms"
DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE GOING TO 0311!!!!!!!

Get "0311" specified in clear terms.

I got hosed.

Somebody figured my GT score was indicitive of being anal retentive, and tossed my open contract in the pile filed under Arty!

As for MP or 03.

Go 03.

As for saleable skill when you get out, there ain't any.

Civvies are worthless terds that lack the brain cells to correlate any documented training or skill, that was established by any branch of the Military, unless you are Airforce Maint/Pilot, or navy Nuke.

You get out, with what you got out with between the ears otherwise.

That in itself is priceless. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

If it is the experience you are looking for, Go grunt, save the bucks, and participate in the current education programs for the future.

Keep the Recruiter on a short leash.
And think about the future.
(Especially in the middle of firt phase, when you are realizing you were NUTS to volunteer for such an insult in the first damn place:supergrin: )

The investment was the best I ever made.
(almost equal to the Rock I put on the wifes finger anyway!)

I hope it is for you as well.

Do it, and give it hell.

E4E