Where should I go? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Where should I go?

et2mdo
03-02-2006, 14:22
I think the subject pretty much sums up my question.

I'm getting ready to get commissioned in the surface warfare community in a few months. Ship selection is coming up at the end of the month. The list of available billets is up and I was just trying to get a little information about some of the homeports.

I pretty much have my choice of platform (DDG, CG, FFG, LHA, LPD, LSD, MCM) and homeport. Homeport choices include Everett WA, Ingleside TX, Norfolk/Little Creek VA, Mayport FL, Pearl Harbor HI, San Diego CA, Sasebo and Yokosuka Japan.

I'm not a big fan of big ships. I'd prefer to be on a smaller ship with a smaller crew, so that pretty much eliminates the amphib ships. I am leaning toward a DDG or FFG.

As for homeports, I do NOT want anywhere in VA or TX. Not that I don't like my home state, but I'd prefer to go live somewhere else for a while. I'm sure I'll end up in Norfolk before I quit, so I'm not anxious to start my officer career there. I'm pretty much open to anywhere else, I could really care less. My wife wants somewhere warm and doesn't mind living overseas.

Basically, just looking for any inside information about any of these ship and homeport choices. Put yourself in my shoes... you're getting ready to get commissioned and have these choices. Where would you go and why?

KIDCOP
03-02-2006, 16:29
I can't suggest which kind of ship, or port. What I will suggest is coast. Stay away from the east coast Navy. I've been on both and let me tell you a west pac is a whole lot more fun. Also believe it or not, there is a huge difference between the east and the west coast when it comes to sweating the small stuff. Let me say it again, stay away from the east coast.

I was a winger on the Midway when she was stationed in Yokosuka many years ago. The wife and I made life long friends there who still have to put up with me. It's hard duty and hard on the wife, but can be a whole lot of fun. It comes down to what you make of it. We both have fond memories.

Also, if you work with the idea you don't care who broke it, just fix it, your people will love you for it. The Chief is always right.

spober
03-02-2006, 21:19
man i was in 30 years ago but some things never change.smaller ships can tie up dock side in most ports where as the bigger craft have to shuttle back and forth on launches.also smaller frigs and distroyers can go up rivers that the bigger ships cant navigate.

et2mdo
03-02-2006, 21:27
Originally posted by KIDCOP
The Chief is always right.

That little bit of info is probably the single most important thing I will take away from my 5+ years enlisted service. IMHO, all officers should first serve as enlisted.

Thanks for the info on the east/west thing. I'm definitely going to try to avoid Norfolk for as long as possible. Right now I'm leaning toward giving Yokosuka a try. Figure better now that never since the kiddies won't be in school the whole time I'm there. I'll probably change my mind tomorrow, though.

KIDCOP
03-03-2006, 05:37
OK prior enlisted. Good deal. Where were you before?

L4zy
03-03-2006, 05:49
Take an FFG in Mayport..

et2mdo
03-03-2006, 12:53
Originally posted by KIDCOP
OK prior enlisted. Good deal. Where were you before?

I was a nuke ET2.

Hadn't thought much about an FFG until I heard someone else mention that JO's get a lot of shipdriving. That will definitely help me out, I'm sure. Plus, running drug ops would definitely be a plus. Actually doing something good for the country would be nice.

KIDCOP
03-03-2006, 16:10
Originally posted by et2mdo
I was a nuke ET2.

Not quite what I was asking but let me assume you have been an east coast nuke sub guy. My brother in law is a Nuke Senior Chief stationed in NC on some sub some where. He was stationed here in Washington State for awhile but it seemed he wanted to get back the the east coast. I never understood that and never talked about it as we are real not real close, unlike my side of the family.

For Surface and Navy Air though the west coast is the only place to be.

For shore duty if you ever get an offer to China Lake, take it. Not only will you enjoy the work, it's great family life. I know it's an airdale base, but they have a few Black Shoe jobs. That is unless your still in the nuke business. My wife and I liked the place so much we spent 2 shore tours there. If it wasn't in CA I would have retired and taken a crab job.

Most bases In CA are expensive places to live at. I would suggest Washington State. Cheaper and gun friendly.

FlyinBrian
03-03-2006, 16:15
Mayport is nice. Cost of living is low. Nice weather. Plenty to do within a 2-3 hour drive.

vdeleon
03-04-2006, 10:54
Originally posted by L4zy
Take an FFG in Mayport...I was stationed onboard the USS De Wert FFG 45 for about 2 years and loved it. The officers have it good. You'll get lots of shipdriving experience as a JO. I was QM so I worked with them on the bridge on a daily basis. Oh and the frigates down there in mayport are mostly going on drug ops/UNITAS deployments to south america...that's what I did and holy crap was it fun!!! Colombia, uruguay, panama, argentina, brazil, mexico, to name a few...

just my .02 ;f

edit: FYI my opinion might be slightly biased as I am from Tampa lol...so being stationed that close to home was awesome...but on the other hand you're like 2.5 hours from downtown orlando and the theme parks if your into that, and like 2 hours from Gainesville GO GATORS!!!...anyways St. Augustine is right down the road by like 30-45 depending which way you take. if you're a golfer TPC Sawgrass is about 20 minutes from base. tons of stuff to do...and its florida, i mean, come on lol ;a

To piggy back from L4zy...
Former USS BOONE FFG-28, NS MAYPORT. I am from jacksonville, so it's home for me. But as a JO on a small boy, you'll take turn from being NAV, COMM, TO, and it will be fun. Housing median is affordable and plenty of subdivisions sprouting everywhere and good investment-equity wise when your tour is over. My cousin works for Vijay Singh so I get tickets from Mon-Sun...Free;f No state taxes, cool gun laws. Do some research...then decide. But whatever you decide, make sure to do what you like and like what you do...
V/R,
SK1 DELEON
NAVY OPERATIONAL SUPPORT CENTER
NAS JAX, FL
16 yrs....& counting.

Kentuckian
03-07-2006, 18:42
If it were me, I'd go to Everett, WA.

TScottW99
03-07-2006, 21:49
I spent two and a half years in Sasebo Japan on a Salvage ship. It's a nice place to be stationed at. We had lot's of time in many countries in south east Asia, granted being on a small ship helped getting some of these seldom seen ports.

Sasebo has mostly a gator fleet. It's small for a city in Japan, about 350,000 residents. The military community is small and you get to know most of the people there.

I would do it again.