Why???!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why???!!!

nsb22
03-02-2006, 23:31
Do we still use oil dry? It is not landfillable and it just plain sucks! IMHO. No, I don't own stock in sphagsorb, I just believe it works alot better than oil dry, and it IS landfillable!

Tvov
03-03-2006, 11:25
I haven't heard of "sphagsorb", but is it "landfillable" when it is full of oil? I don't know a whole lot about what happens to the hazmat stuff after a call. I am one of the FFs who show up, throw stuff down, and let the State DEP boys clean it up. Actually, technically, I don't think we are ALLOWED to clean it up.

Hmm, it might be interesting for me to start poking around for information on what is done with used hazmat cleanup material.

nsb22
03-03-2006, 14:41
Now I'm gonna have to check on that. I just don't remember now, as we don't dispose of the product. We clean up and turn the bags over to the spiller. They are then responsible for properly disposing of the waste.

I do know that oil dry has to be incenerated.

nsb22
03-03-2006, 14:44
Forgot something. Sphagsorb is kinda like peat moss, only more processed.

From the companies web site: http://www.sphagsorb.com/product_info.html

WHAT IS SPHAG?

The finest grade of sphagnum moss from our bogs in Canada is the starting point for SPHAG SORB. The peat fibers are separated from all inorganic hard material, and then activated into a high-grade product with a remarkable ability to absorb and encapsulate oils, solvents, heavy metals, pesticides, herbicides and all other organic chemicals.

SPHAG SORB is a natural organic absorbent that can be used in all phases of spill clean ups:

The initial response to a spill.
The absorption and clean up of spilled liquids.
The removal and disposal of the contamination.
And the remediation of the contamination with or without hydrocarbon digesting microbes.
SPHAG SORB is a super absorbent organic compound that is used to clean up oil, gas, diesel fuel, solvents, paints, glycol and organic chemical spills. Peat is partially fossilized plant matter (mostly hemicelluloses, cellulose, and lignin) which is formed in poorly oxygenated wetlands where the rate of accumulation of plant matter is greater than that of decomposition. Peat is a highly porous material with a porosity of approximately 95% and a large specific surface area, which gives it a greater absorption capacity than other common absorbents.