Which new car? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which new car?

newtoglock
03-03-2006, 15:16
Well I have narrowed my new car search to three vehicles.
Toyota Corrolla; Honda Civic; or Nissan Sentra; any pros or cons will be very appreciated.

OUSooner
03-03-2006, 18:05
Well I just sold my '02 Honda Civic and it had 130,000 trouble free miles. Nothing other than routine maintaince. A good friend of mine has a '03 Corrolla and just turned 100K. It's been pretty reliable and gets a bit better mileage than the civic but he has his rear wheel bearing go out and also had to replace his front struts. Don't know if that helps or not.

RunsWithScissor
03-03-2006, 19:54
I'm dating myself BUT whenever I see Nissan my mind yells DATSUN . . . . . . . . . . . .

;g

grecco
03-03-2006, 20:10
i would go with the honda civic(car of the year)
my family has owned the following honda's
86,90,92,96 and a 03.

all have been "bullet proof"

also honda's have a very high resale value.

kwikrnu
03-03-2006, 20:16
I have a 2003 corolla with 104K miles. I change the oil every 10-12K miles. I changed the auto tranny fluid @ 100K miles. I have also changed the air filter and cabin air filter a couple of times. Everything works perfect. I get 33 mpg and drive about 150 miles a day and average 80 mph.

bac1023
03-04-2006, 16:21
Personally, I like the Civic out of the three mentioned. I have had great luck with Civics and Honda in general.

That said, I don't think you could go wrong with any of them for low cost, very reliable transporation. Plus, the fuel economy is great.

I'm actually looking at the new Honda Fit arriving in the States this year.

kwikrnu
03-04-2006, 16:57
The corolla has a timing chain and I'm not sure about the honda. It seems to me they may have a belt which could require an expensive change at around 60-80K miles.

Rustyinfla
03-04-2006, 17:10
My wife has a Toyota with 130 K on it and it's still running strong.
IMHO Honda are OK but more expensive. I would spend a few $$ more and go with the Camery. It has a lot more room.

We've had Datsuns and Nissan's. Just kind of lost interest in them.

Rusty <><

Lone Wolff
03-04-2006, 18:48
Do you have a garage to lock your vehicle up at night? The Honda Civics around here are being stripped left & right overnight for parts. There was one at an apartment complex that was up on blocks, and had both front & rear bumpers and front fenders pulled off by the time they tried to go to work the next morning.

Just food for thought, I really like the looks of the Civics, but wouldn't want one in our particular town.

Mechanically, all 3 of those are great, so it may be a personal choice of styling and price.

Old School
03-04-2006, 18:59
My first car was a Sentra. Nissan seemed to cut a lot of corners, for example, a 4 speed manual was standard, 5 speed was one upgrade, automatic tranny was another. At the same time Toyota and Honda only offered 5 speed manual or auto. That has been decades so things very well could have changed, but I'd go with Honda and Toyota knowing they have a history of not cutting too many corners. Let the better deal be the deciding factor.