Life of an AK [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Life of an AK

50 Cent
03-04-2006, 18:08
Ok - so I have my New WASR 10. How long do these things last before major maintenance is required. What round count should I keep my eye on? 10000 rounds?

DaleGribble
03-04-2006, 19:49
What do you mean by major maintenance? Do you mean like a rebarreling or something?

You're WASR was inexpensive and is not a collectors item, so shoot it until it melts, which will take a lot more the 10K rounds! ;f

CGuns
03-04-2006, 20:10
Take care of your guns.
Clean before and after shooting.
If you take care of them, they will take care of you.
I cannot stand people who do not care for their firearms.

JSinAlaska
03-04-2006, 20:47
Take care of your guns.

+1;f

expeditionx
03-04-2006, 23:04
Someone at Ak-47.net once posted about his conversation with a Izhmash representative from Russia. Their 7.62x39 AKs are rated for a service life based on he barrel life. A barrel life of 80,000 rounds. They may service anything besides the barrel up through the end of acceptable barrel life. Minor things like a trigger component breaking will be fixed. A poster on Saiga12 forums "Shiek", once said that he has seen Saiga trigger parts malfunction around the 40,000 round level. A bolt or bolt carrier breaking is probably unlikely unless the factory has a manufacturing issue at some point.
Global trades representative Jimmy once posted at AK-47.net that one of his SSR-85C AKs built on a 1.6 mm stamped receiver has endured over 100,000 rounds for a customer that shoots alot. It will hold a 6 inch group at 100 yards with russian commercial ammo even after 100,000 rounds. Schuetzenman Forum Administrator at AK-47.net used
to make rifle barrels for a living. He once posted that China rated their chrome lined bore AK's for 50K rounds before replacement.
Russian hammer forged barrels are better rated. Vepr and Saiga russian barrels should last up to 80,000 rounds.

Romanian barrels should last at least as along as Chinese AK barrels.
So, figure your WASR barrel to last 50,000 plus rounds. The receiver might last several times the barrel life, but rebarreling through a gun smith might cost more that just buying another WASR.
Before you even reach 50,000 rounds on your WASR, if your trigger components break that is a simple fix ( $40 Tapco G2 trigger set ).
A bolt or bolt carrier runs a bit more.

Cochise
03-08-2006, 22:23
[QUOTE]Originally posted by G21PortlandOre
[B]Take care of your guns.

While I agree with taking care of our guns..some of us get curious as to how long some of them will function under extreme conditions..
i have a egyptian maadi akm bought in late 1999 that has shot exactly 27060 rounds of pre poly wolf without any type of cleaning..how long will she go?? i have no idea..but as soon as the 7.62X39 is flowing again im gonna shoot her till she comes to a grinding halt..
(This particular maddi is in no way any sort of primary or secondary protection for myself or my family)...
to put it mildly i'm impressed!!..
have fun with your AK!!
Cochise

Polo
03-13-2006, 11:13
Originally posted by Cochise
[QUOTE
i have a egyptian maadi akm bought in late 1999 that has shot exactly 27060 rounds of pre poly wolf without any type of cleaning..how long will she go?? i have no idea...
Cochise

27,060 rounds w/o a clean??!! How bout just a minor lube?
That is damned good. Keep us informed on how she does as you put more rounds in her...guys are very interested to know.

There are people going bananas over a certain FAL going 12,000rds. w/o cleaning. I think on AK47.net...

The-Fly
03-13-2006, 14:23
I have a Global Trades / Armory SSR-85c. Its got about 2-3k rounds through it, never a problem of course. Even though you can let an AK get super filthy and probably not have problems, i clean my AK the way i clean my AR: With loving detail and attention. Take care of a gun and it will take care of you when you need it most.

Cochise
03-13-2006, 22:28
Polo..
Thanks for the interest.. no lube of any kind.. not to hijack 50 cents thread..
I do think we are all questioning the same thing..how durable is the ak..
My only regret is that im afraid when the wolf 7.62x39 is available again ,it wont be the old laquer style, but the new poly..thus giving me a apples to oranges test... be that as it may im still gonna shoot it till it just wont shoot anymore....
also..
I guess I need to say..this is a TEST!! by all means CLEAN YOUR GUNS!! any moron who would shoot over 27THOUSAND rounds without cleaning the gun and then THINK its gonna work when the chips are down and his life is on the line..is better off dead anyways..

;P
i will keep ya posted...
Cochise

Polo
03-13-2006, 23:54
Right on , Cochise...

expeditionx
03-14-2006, 00:29
[QUOTE][i]

i have a egyptian maadi akm bought in late 1999 that has shot exactly 27060 rounds of pre poly wolf without any type of cleaning

How is the accuracy after 27,000 rounds with no bore cleaning?
Group sizes?

Is the gas tube area slightly rusted anywhere? I have shot just Wolf in certain sks rifles, a saiga, and a vepr and found slight rusting in the gas tube the following day if it wasnt cleaned and preserved after a range session.

Does the bore look like its copper plated from all the copper fouling?

Cochise
02-13-2007, 14:22
Talk about a thread from the dead..
we are up to 33 thou now and still kickin..
seem's like when it carbons up bad the cake will vibrate off and fall into the mag well and out the bottom..
never tested for accuracy but so far it seems to be holding on target as it always did..
Cochise

Army of Juan
02-17-2007, 18:14
Talk about a thread from the dead..
we are up to 33 thou now and still kickin..
seem's like when it carbons up bad the cake will vibrate off and fall into the mag well and out the bottom..
never tested for accuracy but so far it seems to be holding on target as it always did..
Cochise

Cochise, that is awesome! Please keep us informed as the round count increases!

CGuns
11-10-2008, 22:28
Update?

kf4zra
11-10-2008, 22:54
i know when we worked for a manufacturer we built one on a hesse receiver. the receiver lasted around 30k rds before it was torn apart. hesse never had a reputation as a good receiver maker. it was replaced with a ohio rapid fire version and went a good 20k more before the owner gave up the license and the receiver was chopped.

there wasnt a whole lot of rifling left as most shooting was full auto. i personally shot it till the handguards caught fire. it finally broke a firing pin around 45k mi. only found out when we cleaned it. it still worked with a broken firing pin!

i think you will wear the barrel out before a receiver. it took us 50k rds before it was getting worn.

most people will never shoot one that much. that is more than half a pallet of ammo.

Line Rider
11-15-2008, 13:46
Ok - so I have my New WASR 10. How long do these things last before major maintenance is required. What round count should I keep my eye on? 10000 rounds?

Maintenance and an AK???

:fred: Some where out in the middle of Squatemala there's a goat herder with a third grade education who has an AK-47 built in 1954 over he shoulder. This AK has had a bazillion rounds fired throught it. It's seen more wars than a CBS film crew. It's been in heat, cold, snow, rain and mud that a mule could get bogged down in, but it still works. And you ask "How many times has it been cleaned?" Maybe six or seven. It's owner will usually use a bootlace tied in knots and some kerosene drained from a lamp. After than it is lubicated with motor oil from an old wreck truck. The herdsman smokes another cigarette. "Americans made the best cigarettes, but the Russians make the best damn rifles", he thinks to himself. :rofl:

Restless28
11-15-2008, 15:20
Maintenance and an AK???

:fred: Some where out in the middle of Squatemala there's a goat herder with a third grade education who has an AK-47 built in 1954 over he shoulder. This AK has had a bazillion rounds fired throught it. It's seen more wars than a CBS film crew. It's been in heat, cold, snow, rain and mud that a mule could get bogged down in, but it still works. And you ask "How many times has it been cleaned?" Maybe six or seven. It's owner will usually use a bootlace tied in knots and some kerosene drained from a lamp. After than it is lubicated with motor oil from an old wreck truck. The herdsman smokes another cigarette. "Americans made the best cigarettes, but the Russians make the best damn rifles", he thinks to himself. :rofl:

Good one.:cool:

fla2760
11-15-2008, 19:59
The AK is "Glock reliable" and can do as well in the torture tests. Not maintenance dependent.

Cochise
11-30-2008, 18:25
WoW!!
the thread from the REALLY dead returns!
took her out today when i saw it.
the count as of today is 41 thousand 3 hundred..
this is slow fire...fast fire and bump fire..
i have 20 or so 30 rd mags.. i mix them up and even use pre-loaded
ones i have sitting around on occasion.
still ticking!
i dont take it apart..or look at anything ..i just shoot it and put it away.

someday it will just stop...
Cochise

my762buzz
11-30-2008, 18:41
WoW!!
still ticking!

Cochise

41,000 without a cleaning or lube and still going strong?
That is insane, but its great to know.

johnydoe
11-30-2008, 19:15
Someone at Ak-47.net once posted about his conversation with a Izhmash representative from Russia. Their 7.62x39 AKs are rated for a service life based on he barrel life. A barrel life of 80,000 rounds. They may service anything besides the barrel up through the end of acceptable barrel life. Minor things like a trigger component breaking will be fixed. A poster on Saiga12 forums "Shiek", once said that he has seen Saiga trigger parts malfunction around the 40,000 round level. A bolt or bolt carrier breaking is probably unlikely unless the factory has a manufacturing issue at some point.
Global trades representative Jimmy once posted at AK-47.net that one of his SSR-85C AKs built on a 1.6 mm stamped receiver has endured over 100,000 rounds for a customer that shoots alot. It will hold a 6 inch group at 100 yards with russian commercial ammo even after 100,000 rounds. Schuetzenman Forum Administrator at AK-47.net used
to make rifle barrels for a living. He once posted that China rated their chrome lined bore AK's for 50K rounds before replacement.
Russian hammer forged barrels are better rated. Vepr and Saiga russian barrels should last up to 80,000 rounds.

Romanian barrels should last at least as along as Chinese AK barrels.
So, figure your WASR barrel to last 50,000 plus rounds. The receiver might last several times the barrel life, but rebarreling through a gun smith might cost more that just buying another WASR.
Before you even reach 50,000 rounds on your WASR, if your trigger components break that is a simple fix ( $40 Tapco G2 trigger set ).
A bolt or bolt carrier runs a bit more.

That's good info! OT, do you know how long rimfire pistol barrels last? I have a Browning Buckmark .22LR pistol that I shot about 40,000 rounds and it still seems to shoot well.

JoshuaC
11-30-2008, 20:00
WoW!!
still ticking!

Cochise

Damn! There is no doubt of what rifle of mine I'd take to a war. AK all the way!

dudley
11-30-2008, 20:08
difficult question, depends on how hot you let the barrel get, and how well you maintenance it. pounding out magazine after magazine just to see how fast you can burn thru them will lessen the life of the barrel.

X-CaptHook
12-01-2008, 08:32
I guess we can say to lube and clean your AK when you give it to your son, and have him do the same when he gives it to his son.

spober
12-06-2008, 15:09
just oil her up and shoot the heck out of her.id run a patch threw now and then more for wanting to tinker and play with my ak than out of necessity!they are as indistructable a rifle as you will ebver encounter.

Glockdude1
12-06-2008, 15:12
AK's are the Timex watches of the gun world..........

:cool:

lilc
12-06-2008, 16:23
Ok - so I have my New WASR 10. How long do these things last before major maintenance is required. What round count should I keep my eye on? 10000 rounds?It may have been cheap, but it's still an AK. Like Khrushchev, your WASR will bury you, bro...

http://www.pbase.com/image/106729558.jpg

Look at in from a practical logistical perspective. At current prices, the 40,000 rounds you would need to purchase to even begin to threaten the health of your new AK (which would fill every magazine in the picture above nearly 40 times!) will cost you about $10,000. If you're worried about it, only buy $9,500 worth of ammo and snag a spare $500 rifle... :tongueout:

my762buzz
08-24-2009, 11:17
WoW!!
still ticking!

Cochise
Over 40,000 rounds with no cleaning or parts breakage.
That is sick. What kind of Maddi is it ?
Any updates?

Glockdude1
08-24-2009, 12:32
40,000 rd's?

Just begining to break it in........

:supergrin:

Cochise
08-24-2009, 21:20
Wow !
saw this thread pop up..(again)
44000 so far.. I slowed down due to
lack of laquer type wolf ammo..
i have around 5 cases now ready for a big push this fall..
after i run that and if its still working we may have to go to poly ammo
and just go for a final total..
as a side note..in all my scrounging i was able to buy 3 cases of norinco steel core ammo.
from a somewhat ""unique"" person.. strange stuff is out there so ask around!
the akm is a century sa bought from j&g..ugly as sin..but she's still workin!
thanks for the interest!
Cochise

my762buzz
08-25-2009, 03:21
Wow !
a century sa bought from j&g..ugly as sin..but she's still workin!
thanks for the interest!
Cochise
Is it an SA misr-90? If it is that would really be interesting because those
have Chinese parts integrated and essentially are an Egyptian receiver with
chinese MAK 90 parts.

This is why...

Quote from another website:
When a ruling by the Teasury Dept. banned the import of Chinese guns and ammo in April,1994 there were thousands of MAK-90 rifles in bonded warehouses awaiting release from customs. The importers petistioned the Treasury Dept. to release these rifles for sale as they were in the country when the import ban went into effect. They were denied but were allowed to sell the rifles as parts kits if the receivers were destroyed. So there were ads in the Shotgun News for these MAK-90 parts kits for 2 years with very few takers as there were no receivers being imported or made in the USA. The price on the kits dropped from $200 to $39 during the 2 years the ads ran. So Century Arms bought almost all the MAK-90 parts kits and produced the model MISR-90 rifle. Which was a Maadi receiver that had all other parts from a Chinese MAK-90 parts kit added to make a complete rifle. The first batch of MISR-90 rifles assembled looked like a piece of crap. Like all Chinese AK rifles the MAK-90 parts kits have a barrel that has 19mm diameter barrel shank that is pressed into the barrel trunion of the receiver. The Maadi receivers barrel truninon being a AKM rifle had a barrel trunion with the hole in it for a barrel with a 23mm in diameter barrel shank. So a 1.5mm thick steel sleeve was needed to attached the Chinese barrel to the Maadi receiver. This resulted in the first manufactured MISR-90 rifles looking like these were assembled with a hammer by monkeys. There were large scratches and gouges on the barrel,sleeve,barrel trunion,rear sight,and sides/bottom of the receiver. While this didn't effect the function of the rifle it looked bad and then combine this with the black painted Maadi receiver with all the other parts of the rifle being blued it looked funny. The second batch of MISR-90 rifles made, Century Arms imported Maadi receivers that didn't have the barrel trunion installed. The barrels were removed from the barrel trunion of the MAK-90 kit and the Chinese barrel trunion was riveted in the Maadi recevier. So this eleminated all the scratches.

akgunnut
08-25-2009, 15:42
I am a slacker, I only have about 4500-5000 rounds through my Romanian GP WASR10 that I bought 3 years ago for $415 NIB. I don't really keep track on how many rounds I fire, I just buy half a case or even a full case of WOLF or Golden Tiger ammo and go out and have some fun. I know this thing will outlast me because I don't go shooting as often as I'd like, plus ammo prices are through the roof. It has fired every single round I put through it except a couple FTFs on Wolf ammo, and I do clean it after every range trip. I could leave it dirty and it'll still work fine, but I cannot stand dirty guns. It will be my primary defense weapon in a disaster situation and I have plenty of ammo for it.

Cochise
08-26-2009, 18:32
It appears to be a second batch miser..
thanks for the info!
Cochise

my762buzz
08-27-2009, 04:54
thanks for the info!
Cochise

That is truely amazing. The misr 90s are considered the some of the
worst mismatched franken aks ever sold by a distributor and yours
continues to run like a timex. That is a testament to the great design
of the ak.

my762buzz
08-27-2009, 05:00
This thread definitely is worthy of being a sticky.
This topic will come up again and again.

.45Super-Man
08-27-2009, 22:54
Is it an SA misr-90? If it is that would really be interesting because those
have Chinese parts integrated and essentially are an Egyptian receiver with
chinese MAK 90 parts.

This is why...

Quote from another website:
When a ruling by the Teasury Dept. banned the import of Chinese guns and ammo in April,1994 there were thousands of MAK-90 rifles in bonded warehouses awaiting release from customs. The importers petistioned the Treasury Dept. to release these rifles for sale as they were in the country when the import ban went into effect. They were denied but were allowed to sell the rifles as parts kits if the receivers were destroyed. So there were ads in the Shotgun News for these MAK-90 parts kits for 2 years with very few takers as there were no receivers being imported or made in the USA. The price on the kits dropped from $200 to $39 during the 2 years the ads ran. So Century Arms bought almost all the MAK-90 parts kits and produced the model MISR-90 rifle. Which was a Maadi receiver that had all other parts from a Chinese MAK-90 parts kit added to make a complete rifle. The first batch of MISR-90 rifles assembled looked like a piece of crap. Like all Chinese AK rifles the MAK-90 parts kits have a barrel that has 19mm diameter barrel shank that is pressed into the barrel trunion of the receiver. The Maadi receivers barrel truninon being a AKM rifle had a barrel trunion with the hole in it for a barrel with a 23mm in diameter barrel shank. So a 1.5mm thick steel sleeve was needed to attached the Chinese barrel to the Maadi receiver. This resulted in the first manufactured MISR-90 rifles looking like these were assembled with a hammer by monkeys. There were large scratches and gouges on the barrel,sleeve,barrel trunion,rear sight,and sides/bottom of the receiver. While this didn't effect the function of the rifle it looked bad and then combine this with the black painted Maadi receiver with all the other parts of the rifle being blued it looked funny. The second batch of MISR-90 rifles made, Century Arms imported Maadi receivers that didn't have the barrel trunion installed. The barrels were removed from the barrel trunion of the MAK-90 kit and the Chinese barrel trunion was riveted in the Maadi recevier. So this eleminated all the scratches.
This is all true! I just saw one of these ugly things for sale over on ar15.com! He claimed it was a Maadi, but I questioned him because it had a blued receiver, MAK 90 thumbhole stock and handguards, globe front sight hood,etc. He also took pics of the internals and it all appeared to be identical to a Chinese MAK(I know because I have more than one). Very interesting read and strangely coincidental since I just looked at one last night.

my762buzz
08-31-2009, 16:38
thanks for the info!
Cochise

First batch on top.

Second batch on the lower picture.
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/4088/trunionsmaadichineseps3.jpg

Palouse
04-06-2010, 18:23
Update? :cool:

my762buzz
04-06-2010, 18:32
Update? :cool:

If he's kept going at the same rate, he might be over 50,000.

Palouse
04-06-2010, 18:35
If he's kept going at the same rate, he might be over 50,000.

That's what I'm hoping...

my762buzz
01-14-2012, 17:21
Wow !
saw this thread pop up..(again)
44000 so far.. I slowed down due to
lack of laquer type wolf ammo..
i have around 5 cases now ready for a big push this fall..
after i run that and if its still working we may have to go to poly ammo
and just go for a final total..
as a side note..in all my scrounging i was able to buy 3 cases of norinco steel core ammo.
from a somewhat ""unique"" person.. strange stuff is out there so ask around!
the akm is a century sa bought from j&g..ugly as sin..but she's still workin!
thanks for the interest!
Cochise

Update?

southernshooter
01-14-2012, 17:56
I clean my old WASR like it was a Weatherby. I can spare the 5 minutes it takes.

USDefender
01-14-2012, 20:56
I could be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that there's a lot of people living near the Kyber who are still using AK's that their great grandfathers fought with... :whistling:

Aceman
01-15-2012, 14:57
If you don't clean your gun you are a dumb@$$.

You don't have to clean it much...but seriously. It will jam, it will corrode, it will stop. Just like AR's don't jam as much as people say, AK's are NOT as indestructible as people say either.

It's nice to know that in a pinch, it COULD go that long. But seriously, let's don't push our luck especially if you will need to depend on that weapon.

I'm sure my HK can easily go that long too. I clean it. Why not the AK? And I agree - re-barrel? WTF??? Just buy a new gun.

Restless28
01-16-2012, 11:55
Bump to see if Cochise can update this.