Question on a used Suzuki TL 1000S [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question on a used Suzuki TL 1000S

Johnnyvegas
03-05-2006, 23:17
I have opportunity to buy a used TL1000 and wanted to know what anyone here thinks of the asking price. I don't know odometer reading, or year yet, and will get to ride the bike on the next dry day we have here, seller is asking $5000.00, bike is clean, no gouged aluminum, plastic looks good, but is devoid of stickers, tires are about half used up, fork sliders aren't nicked, the brake rotors look ok, and it has a TBR pipe. Does the price sound right for a bike that retailed for $2000.00 more 9 years ago sound right to anyone here, I don't want to piss the guy off, but 5 grand for a 9 year old bike seems a bit steep.

Thanks for the opinions all!

John

epsylum
03-06-2006, 06:56
It is kind of steep. I had a 2000 TL-1000S and it was great. I sold it because I couldn't afford the payments anymore. I would try to talk him down into the $4000s.

fnfalman
03-06-2006, 08:10
Depending on the years as well. If I recall, the earliest ones were having some problems with frame welds. Great engine, but the suspension wasn't quite the best. I don't know if the TLS would have the same headshake problem as the TLR but it would be wise to consider fitting a good steering damper if it doesn't already have one mounted.

Rinspeed
03-06-2006, 10:26
Sounds way high to me no matter what condition it's in.

Rosey
03-06-2006, 19:00
Price sounds awfully high. I never owned one but I've ridden two examples. Great engines but I could never get that funky rotory rear damper to work well on either bike I rode.

fireman jb
03-07-2006, 01:05
sounds high to me aswell. I sold my '02 GSXR 600 with aftermarket everything for less then that.

Sweet
03-07-2006, 12:32
If it was a clean, low mi 97 with the original ECU 32920-02f00 then I could see paying that but I would try to get him to drop the price down, I own one and never had a desire (except for the KTM990 Duke) to buy another rocket. The 97 is getting to be a pretty rare bike...do your homework yourself on what to believe or not about this bike from those who own one also come over to

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/index.php

and use the search on the questions you might have and if the search does not provide what you are looking for just ask and someone there will know!

The 97' Green Machine
http://www.pbase.com/bensweet/image/51738564.jpg

JAREDG21
03-10-2006, 10:40
I loved mine but his price is steep. The other thing to think about is that performance parts are getting harder and harder to find this is why I didn't get another one. If you get it be aware that during track use the rear suspension gets really soft. the bike does come with a steering dampner but you will want to either put on a adjustable one or put aheavier oil in the shock one.