How do you toughen up 'nancy boys'? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do you toughen up 'nancy boys'?

BlackBelt
03-06-2006, 13:43
I've got some friends that want me to give their kids private karate lessons. They won't put their kids in regular classes because they are afraid that the kids will get hurt.
The real problem is that their kids are spoiled rotten, given everything that they want, never disciplined, and now the parents want me to try to fix what they didn't do years ago.
These kids are not tough in any sense of the word, except maybe they are hardcore cryers. They got doctors notes to get out of P.E. in school.
I have been thinking that every kid deserves a couple of chances, so I have been weighing out the possibilities of taking them on as students.
I think that the first order of business would be to teach them some concepts that aren't totally martial arts related, such as to finish what they start.
I lease 8000 acres of hunting land that is all wooded, and some of it's pretty tough terrain. I was thinking about taking them on a hike, to test their mettle. I figure they will be whining a quarter mile into it, but maybe, you never know, they might actually finish the hike.
Any ideas?
Ages 12 and 14.

walangkatapat
03-08-2006, 12:09
How far will the parents let you go in trying to undo the spoiled brat whiny attitudes?

mitchshrader
03-08-2006, 12:38
this is the sort of thing you can do for nephews or neighbors..but if you do it as an instructor you best have a million dollars worth of liability, signed releases, and a good preacher putting a word in for you.

how bad do you want to do it? if it's just a job, don't go there.

if it's something you must do.. oh well, i've had those.

good luck!

Halojumper
03-10-2006, 16:20
I wouldn't touch that gig. It's going to be nothing but trouble. Are you obligated already or is is just something you're considering?

sensei
03-10-2006, 17:46
Been there, done that.

Make the parents take the classes along with the children. If they are not willing to do so...RUN!!!

sensei

BlackBelt
03-11-2006, 09:03
I never thought of making the parents take the classes with the kids. Perfect!
I'm not obligated yet to anything, but I will bring up the subject of the parents in class too, and see how they feel about it.
I'm really leaning towards not taking this project on. Too many others going on, but I'll talk with them and see if it's doable.
Thanks guys.

fastvfr
03-12-2006, 02:01
The parents will see you as just another teacher...someone else to shirk their parenting duties off onto. Which, of course, caused all the issues in the first place.

I wouldn't touch this one for love nor money.

They ruined these kids and now are feeling guilt. Well, it's too late.

Besides, the smart money says these brats will just revert to their normal level of horrid once class is out anyway, so you probably can't reach them.

I do feel sorry for the little whiners, but that's a nonissue.

Run, don't walk, from this job.