Rode with the big boys [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Rode with the big boys

dk6
03-06-2006, 20:38
I took the Suzuki DR-Z400S on a 100 mile ride Sunday with my son-in-law on his Suzuki SV1000S and his friends Harley of some sort. The trip consisted of about 70 miles of county 2 and 4 lane roads, and about 30 miles of excellent twistys in the foot hills. Of course on the flat land my bike had a hard time keeping up but once we hit the foothills, to my surprise, the story changed real fast. I expected the Harley to slow down but the SV1000 did not like the curves over rough road at all, So I rode at what was a fun speed for me and waited for them at the top of the hill. Once back on the flat roads I took my position as tailgunner Charlie again. Oh well, victory was sweet while it lasted.
All had a good time as the temp. was in the low 60's, Saturdays rain had cleared the air and the hills have turned green with wild flowers starting to bloom. I wish I would have bought a scooter years ago!

BikerRN
03-07-2006, 08:59
As you learned this past weekend, in the twisties it's the rider, not the machine.

Any idiot can go fast in a straight line, it's a rider that can go fast in the curves. I hope to be a rider someday. :)

fnfalman
03-07-2006, 10:22
Not to mention that the rough roads (aka goat trails) are where the dirt bikes and supermotos reign supreme. When the surface gets too bumpy my Aprilia gets nervous. And that's where the Beemer shines with its weird suspension design.

ndbullet500
03-15-2006, 15:27
Bumps and corners can be interesting. I was riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway, almost at the Southern end at Cherokee on my '03 Honda CB750 (last of the line) going at a fairly quick pace, and hit a hard bump in the middle of a curve to the right. It upset the suspension a little, and as the curve opened up there were a bunch of cruisers parked on the side of the road. One was down in the grass, but I guess not hurt judging from the angry "get out of here" gestures made at me as I slowed to see if I could help. I bet anything that the limited suspension travel on the cruiser was used up while leaned over in the turn and he hit the bump.

I'm pretty tolerant of all kinds of bikers, and find they usually are towards me too, but these guys were such jerks when I was offering to help that I didn't feel too bad for the guy who lost it. A bunch of guys dressed like Hells Angels while riding metric cruisers seems a little funny to me anyway.

Kinda a pointless story I guess.

But it sounds like you had fun. I like traveling with a group of different kinds of bikes, it's neat to see the strenghts and weaknesses of different designs. You pretty much covered the entire range of bikes with the three you guys had.

norton
03-15-2006, 19:14
If and when I buy another bike, it will not be a cruiser. I am convinced if I had been riding a standard or sport bike I would not have crashed.

fnfalman
03-16-2006, 09:45
You buy a bike for the type of riding that you want to do. You can't expect a cruiser to do anything well but cruise in more or less a straight line at moderate pace. Of course there are cruisers that have a bit better suspension like the H-D Street Rod but then it's debatable whether or not it's a cruiser or a standard.

If you ride hard enough to outride a cruiser's capability then you need to re-examine your riding styles and needs then buy something that would work well with your newfound needs for speed.

That said, I love standards. They are like jacks of all trades.

fzr357
03-16-2006, 11:33
BikerRN, I just got my bike back together after doing the valves. I'll be off Sun, call me up and we'll go for another ride. Maybe up to Mt Lemon if its not too cold.

norton
03-16-2006, 19:25
Originally posted by fnfalman
You buy a bike for the type of riding that you want to do. You can't expect a cruiser to do anything well but cruise in more or less a straight line at moderate pace. Of course there are cruisers that have a bit better suspension like the H-D Street Rod but then it's debatable whether or not it's a cruiser or a standard.

If you ride hard enough to outride a cruiser's capability then you need to re-examine your riding styles and needs then buy something that would work well with your newfound needs for speed.

That said, I love standards. They are like jacks of all trades.

I love standards too. My CB 1000-the Big One-Remember that bike?
After owning many bikes, I purchased a Kawasaki Drifter 1500. My first and only cruiser. Its the bike I crashed.

norton
03-16-2006, 19:30
Mine was like this, only red