Pontiac...scraping multiple models??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pontiac...scraping multiple models???

emt1581
03-07-2006, 12:40
I just went to Ponitac's site for poops and giggles and it seems like they have scraped the Sunfire, Grand-Am, and Bonnevile, and probably a few other long time sellers I'm forgetting...

What's the reasoning?

Personally I think GM is screwed and is going through a looonnggg painful death right now. But perhaps there is something else going on.

Thanks

-Emt1581

4TS&W
03-07-2006, 12:53
G6 is done too.

emt1581
03-07-2006, 12:56
Yup.

So what's the reasoning...

Denial of the inevitable and slow painfull death or innovative new comeback that will send the foreign manufacturers packing???

-Emt1581

4TS&W
03-09-2006, 09:13
Originally posted by emt1581
Yup.

So what's the reasoning...

Denial of the inevitable and slow painfull death or innovative new comeback that will send the foreign manufacturers packing???

-Emt1581

Well, they are always hoping for one, but seem to be ending up with another. ;P

epsylum
03-10-2006, 18:53
Originally posted by 4TS&W
Well, they are always hoping for one, but seem to be ending up with another. ;P

Yeah, I thought that was thier "American Revolution" that nobody wanted.

What is the biggest difference between the Japanese manufacturers (who are moving here more and more BTW) and the American companies (who are moving out more and more)? The UAW, that's what. Gee I see a trend here.

emt1581
03-11-2006, 13:13
Originally posted by epsylum
Yeah, I thought that was thier "American Revolution" that nobody wanted.

What is the biggest difference between the Japanese manufacturers (who are moving here more and more BTW) and the American companies (who are moving out more and more)? The UAW, that's what. Gee I see a trend here.

UAW?

If that stands for warranty and/or customer service...you bet your bippy!!!

My dad and I had a recent experience that will prove my point.

My dad just bought a Hyundai Sonata. I love the car and so does he. However, about a month after he bought it, it began to leak oil. He said it may have been due to him hitting a bump or something. Anyways, he called up Hyundai. The drove to the house, left a loaner SUV!!!...took his car to Hyundai, fixed it, brought it back, and picked up the loaner....FOR FREE!!!!!

Now for my story...

I recently (two years ago) bought a Pontiac Sunfire. Two years after buying it, it needed new brakes. I went to have them replaced only to find out that the manufacuter cross threaded the screws/bolts holding the brakes on on both sides of the front tires. I kept the receipts and called my local dealer for reimbursement. I was immediately told that they couldn't do anything for me and I had to contact the main headquarters in Michigan or wherever. So I did just that. And after playing a weeks worth of phone tag, I was told I needed to write down what transpired in a page long summary, send them the ORIGINAL receipts, and then provide all information on the mechanic that did the repairs. Then I get a call back a few weeks later offering me essentially $300 worth of worthless "maintenance services" for my troubles instead of the $50 I was really after, on pure pricipal. So after a few more weeks I got my check for $50 in the mail.

Can anyone guess why I'll never buy GM again?

-Emt1581

pellertpale
03-11-2006, 13:17
We have this problem in America with action, reaction relationships. Like if something sucks keep trying it for ten years then do something about it.

emt1581
03-11-2006, 22:24
Not sure what your saying with that last reply. Please explain.

-Emt1581

Active1
03-12-2006, 19:56
Many times I say what are they thinking when they try to push some of this junk on us. I wish I could run on of GM's divisions for a decade. Just give me their recorces, budject, and control and I think I could do well.

The new GTO has a lot of HP but the dang thing looks like a Grand Am.

GM allways seems to be one step behind what consumers want. They are still cranking out jumbo SUVs with poor econimy.

What I feel people want:
At least one car model that runs on alternative fuel
More sports cars (that means 2 doors GM)
Sports cars that are quick, handle good, and better fuel econimy
More style in the sheet metal
Not so many of the same cars with a different name
Reliable, less maintence, long lasting
Lower prices allways helps
Stop the dumb overpricing the sticker then marking it down a large amount

The new Camaro prototype was a hit at the auto show. Start selling em. I think pontiac had similar.

Stop with over engineering the electronics. You don't need a computer to work every last thing on the car. Make it simple as possable, easy to maintain, and solid.

Tom

45acp4me
03-13-2006, 10:37
The Pontiac Grand Am and Sunbird got bumped by the G6 which falls between the Grand Am and the old J body platforms. I don't know why the Bonneville went away, other than the fact is was just a slightly larger Grand Prix and the market for it died.

GM needs to stop doing duplicate cars under different badges, it costs too much money to re-clad the same darn chassis all the time.