sous vide cooking styles [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : sous vide cooking styles

noway
03-10-2006, 09:51
Anybody ever did such thing? Since this is a big issue in NYC area with the health dept and the various chefs that are using it.

lethal tupperwa
03-10-2006, 12:37
What would cooking in a "vacuum pouch" add to the meal?

noway
03-10-2006, 14:05
I don't know but the nytimes and a few other poeple seems to have the NY health dept complaining about this style of cooking.

Here's the story as posted in the times

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/09/nyregion/09cook.html

here's my favorite part of the article;

The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene has quelled the sous vide revolution, for the moment. In the past few weeks inspectors have told some chefs to throw out shrink-wrapped food, forbidden them to use the equipment used to make it and told them to stop cooking and storing food sous vide until they have a government-approved plan for it.

In some cases, inspectors are handing out fines, which start at $300 per offense. The department's actions seem to represent the first time a city agency has singled out the technique, and how chefs use it.

The city health code, which governs the way chefs cook, does not specifically address the way a restaurant should vacuum-pack food. While no health problem has ever been tied to sous vide in restaurant kitchens in New York, officials say they are concerned that food could breed botulism and listeria if it is vacuum-wrapped improperly.

who needs a goverment approve plan on how to cook something vaccum sealed ;g

I think they ( health dept ) is just being silly. I wonder if they have such a hard time with sous vide, then how much do they get off on people preparing sushi ?

vrsc
03-11-2006, 14:28
This is a classical method, tried and true!! As long as the chef/cook is following standard temp/time holding law/rules then everything should be Ok:)

Powder Monkey
03-13-2006, 07:51
It's a great system, and the only objection I have is its use by restaurants. Too many unscrupulous restaurant owners use it to sell inferior grades of beef, yet charge unsuspecting customers prime aged beef prices. The process results in a tasteless steak that atomizes with the touch of a fork. I've refused payment and walked out of steak houses that listed prices for Grade-A prime and have tossed such "fork tender" and tasteless T-bone steaks onto my plate.