Rainbow Six Lockdown (PC) blows. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Six Lockdown (PC) blows.

Victory
03-10-2006, 11:46
Who's with me?

They managed to destroy a perfectly good and, more importantly, realistic FPS. Just another example of poorly converted PSII and x-box games lowering the overall quality of some of the best PC games. First Need for Speed, now this crap.

fastvfr
03-12-2006, 00:55
Just as with DVD's there are loads of crappy computer games coming out...

The reason is $$$$$$, of course. If they can turn a buck on it, that's just what'll happen.

That is also why most of the good games, like HL2 and Doom III, are literally chopped in half before being released.

That way a full-cost Expansion Pack can follow six months or a year later--though that's just the second half of the game you already bought!

Think "Kill Bill" and "Lord of the Rings"...but with the concept applied to PC games.

And yes, I agree--most console ports suck badly.

That's why I never fail to read user reviews on music CD's, movies or PC games I think look good.

Sometimes that's just the box art foolin' with ya.

PennGlock
03-12-2006, 01:35
Im totally with you Victory. My friends and I have played these Clancy games since the first R6 in 1998, but the buck stops at this Lockdown piece of ****. With the level of technology available, and some creativity and vision, the developers could have done some amazing things with an FPS. Give me some dynamic environments and realistic physics! I want to be dragging around furnature, shooting through drywall with an M60, or hiding in some cabinets with a claymore detonator. Some other company needs to step up in push the envelope, so I can further destroy my gpa. Maybe they should hire me as a creative consultant.

JesseCuster
03-21-2006, 22:39
I agree. This game franchise has been murdered in its sleep.

Infinite pistol ammo?

Disappearing corpses?

Taking multiple hits before dying?

A French guy on your squad?

The AI is scripted. You can virtually mark the spot which, when crossed, will ignite the next wave of enemies. It feels more like one of those arcade lightgun shooters than an R6 game.

The only realistic part of this game is that the French guy is worthless and always dies first.

Why not have a jump button? Bullet time effects? Why not allow your squad to carry rocket launchers and pick up medkits to heal themselves?

The one good part is the use of iron sights and the movement of the camera when you use them and walk.

I feel better, having ranted about it.

Tvov
03-22-2006, 07:44
Originally posted by fastvfr

That is also why most of the good games, like HL2 and Doom III, are literally chopped in half before being released.

That way a full-cost Expansion Pack can follow six months or a year later--though that's just the second half of the game you already bought!

It seems that Battlefield 2 is taking this concept to the next level. New weapons from expansion packs can be brought into online games playing the "old" version, but of course only by people who bought the expansion pack. BF2 also has the $10 expansion concept, which seems to be just take the $20-$30 expansion and further cut it in half. This way it seems like you are getting expansions every few months, AND you are not realizing how much money you are actually spending on a PC game!

JesseCuster
03-22-2006, 14:09
Originally posted by Tvov
It seems that Battlefield 2 is taking this concept to the next level. New weapons from expansion packs can be brought into online games playing the "old" version, but of course only by people who bought the expansion pack. BF2 also has the $10 expansion concept, which seems to be just take the $20-$30 expansion and further cut it in half. This way it seems like you are getting expansions every few months, AND you are not realizing how much money you are actually spending on a PC game!

I won't buy the BF2 expansion pack.

Glacked79
03-27-2006, 16:29
Lockdown's demo blew - that's as far as I got with the game. I've been playing the R6 series since they came out in '98 - and have pretty much been with the same group of gamers since then. We all left Lockdown on the shelves.

We play America's Army and have just rented a SWAT 4: TSS server. Other than the long loads for S4, it's a good game. Some folks don't like the slow speeds. To each their own.

I tried BF2. The only thing I liked was the helo. Ground work was horrible with the dolphin jump and the tanks were fun for a day or so. I got the SF expansion and won't be getting any more. They are just dust collectors now.

Tvov
03-27-2006, 17:58
The biggest reason I am still playing BF2 is because the clan I am in has gotten into competition. As many here probably know, competition (we are playing 5v5 and 8v8 TWL) makes the game very different. Also, with BF2 you have got to be in good squads to really get the most out of it. Although the in-game VOIP (voice communication) works, a program such as TeamSpeak is much better. Also again, the fact that EA did not include any other games besides conquest in BF2 (such as capture the flag, free-for-all, team deathmatch, etc) I think is causing the game to start fading. With BF1942 and especially the DesertCombat mod, probably half the servers at any one time are playing CTF. Why EA didn't include this I don't know. The CTF mod for BF2, DesertConflict, is verrry slowly growing, but if they don't do something to jump start it, it will die out. I probably won't buy any expansions, although I got SpecialForces as a gift (and already there aren't that many servers playing it!).

Sorry if I've drifted a bit from the thread topic! :clown:

JesseCuster
03-27-2006, 23:19
Originally posted by Tvov
Also, with BF2 you have got to be in good squads to really get the most out of it. Although the in-game VOIP (voice communication) works, a program such as TeamSpeak is much better.

I second that. I started playing BF2 with a friend using Ventrilo and it was an excellent experience. Being able to communicate directly rather than relying on the (still good) in game method made it a whole new ballgame.

Teaming up as assault and sniper and heading into enemy territory was some good stuff.

Glacked79
03-28-2006, 08:27
I agree that teamwork is key to enjoying BF2 - but it only takes one retard to ruin it by not working with the others.

Is it too much to ask for a game that catches on fast, lasts for three years, and would have a large, stable following even once the newer version comes out? Rogue Spear was the best FPS ever, in my mind. I still log on, can find a server, and run and gun with the best of them from time to time. Maybe its just the amount of games out now, but companies seem to be expecting a 6 month shelf life - and turning out piss poor games, to boot.

Tvov, we've done the TWL thing with BF2 - also the world tourney. My clan is a realism unit - we don't allow the bunny hopping, etc - and tended to get our asses handed to us at the upper levels of the ladders. In order to compete, we'd have to go against our own ethos - rather geeky, I must say, yes. But we like to game the way we do...

We're actually scaling back the TWL matches in AA right now. So many so-so games out and not enough interest in just one to concentrate on. I should be signing us up for some TWL SWAT4 either this week or next. From what I've seen, the game has a pretty good community full of folks who like realism. Only time will tell if I'm right. Then again, I may sign us up for some Raven Shield matches, re-rent that server and just go backwards.

Teamspeak is awsome. I started playing online with RogerWilco, went to Ventrillo, and am now with TS. All great programs when used properly. The only problem I have with TS is the German techno kids who come on and flood the channels with music. I think we banned all German IPs and have had no trouble for the past month - LOL.

Tvov
03-28-2006, 09:55
Yes, with our TeamSpeak server people have to go to our website to get a password, and that lasts for only a week. If the person turns out to be good on teamspeak, we give them a permanent password. Some players on our servers have commented on the difficulty in getting into our TS, but similar to your experience, we've had trouble in the past.

Oh, did you realize that with the latest patch shooting while bunny-hopping has been disabled? The amount of bunnyhopping has dropped dramatically.

Blitzer
04-05-2006, 07:47
I finally got bored with Clancy's games. :yawn:

Walter45Auto
01-19-2007, 20:54
I just recently got Rinbow Six 3: Raven Shield. It's a pretty awesome game. Weapons are all realistic, and they have almost every good assault weaapon that you could want in a game! One thing that sucks, is Mine will frequently shut off in the middle of my game. It seems like every time I get a cool new video game, I gotta get a new computer to get it to work right! And a lot of times that don't help.

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal: