daytona [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : daytona

wolfy692005
03-12-2006, 06:00
just thought you guys might want to know, news reported last night that friday and saturday there were 15 deaths of motorcyclists just the two days alone in daytona area, course it is the last weekend of bike week and there are thousands of bikes running around, still sucks though.

BCM
03-12-2006, 06:11
Sad to hear for those involved but on the other hand, numbers like that make the cops crack down harder.

epsylum
03-12-2006, 06:25
I wonder how many of those 15 were not wearing helmets and/or intoxicated? ;)

norton
03-12-2006, 07:05
I know in the years I used to go regularly, about a dozen deaths was the norm.
Lets face it, motorcycles are dangerous. Thats why we like them. Put that many bikes together, throw in intoxicated riders, and you are going to have lots of tragedies.
The last year I went, one of the riders who got killed was riding on the interstate the wrong direction. Drunk of course.
Daytona has so many cool motorcycle related attractions that do not involve main street, and bars.
Too bad more riders don't take advantage of them.

PAPhil
03-12-2006, 18:59
I just flew back in from Bike Week. Sad that 15 deaths were recorded, but I have to also wonder how many of those were night riding, under influence, or cornering too hard. Some people were concerned about the car swipes, but traffic was not as dense.

I spent all of my time at the race track. I rode the demo rides, and was tickled pink. The BMW rides were the best. They took you out for an hour and a half. The new K1200 is the bomb. The R1200 is different, but it also rocks. I loved the Yamaha FJR1300 demo. The FZ1 is also really cool. The new Boulevard M109R ride was pretty grand. That is one cruiser I have to own. The ZX14R is also another horse. Kawasaki really rolled out the sportbikes at the demos. I woke at 5:30 to be at the line by 6:30 each day. It was worth it.

The weather was sunny and perfect. I cannot say I had a better Daytona in 15 years.

I was surprised the races were on Saturday this year, insteado f Sunday for the main 200 event.

norton
03-12-2006, 20:18
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PAPhil
I just flew back in from Bike Week. Sad that 15 deaths were recorded, but I have to also wonder how many of those were night riding, under influence, or cornering too hard. Some people were concerned about the car swipes, but traffic was not as dense.

I spent all of my time at the race track. I rode the demo rides, and was tickled pink. The BMW rides were the best. They took you out for an hour and a half. The new K1200 is the bomb. The R1200 is different, but it also rocks. I loved the Yamaha FJR1300 demo. The FZ1 is also really cool. The new Boulevard M109R ride was pretty grand. That is one cruiser I have to own. The ZX14R is also another horse. Kawasaki really rolled out the sportbikes at the demos. I woke at 5:30 to be at the line by 6:30 each day. It was worth it.

The weather was sunny and perfect. I cannot say I had a better Daytona in 15 years.

I was surprised the races were on Saturday this year, insteado f Sunday for the main 200 event. [/QUOT

The races were moved up to Saturday last year, in hopes of increasing attendance. From what I could tell on TV, it looks like its not working.
The demo rides were always the best thing about bike week. I rode an Excelsior Henderson-when they were still in business, and 2 Harleys last time I was at Daytona.
Some of the best events of bike week in my opinion are the old bike auction held at Deland, the races, the demo rides, and visiting places like the space center, taking in a spring training baseball game, riding up to Cowboys for dinner at night-
I think main street is entertaining for about one night, and then its just people, and crowds and traffic.

BCM
03-13-2006, 06:01
CNN reported this morning the death count was up to 18 for the 10 days. It was reported that the weather(good) brought out more people.
As far as the races, it was moved to Sat. so that if the weather caused a delay(one day)people who planned and spent money to be there could still get to see the race on Sun. IMHO the AMA put Suberbike on the back burner not making it the premier event. I know alot of people that feel the same. This is the first time since '98 I didn't go for different reasons. Florida is just boring to ride, flat, gridlike roads, but I will be going to other races this year.

norton
03-13-2006, 09:41
Originally posted by BCM
CNN reported this morning the death count was up to 18 for the 10 days. It was reported that the weather(good) brought out more people.
As far as the races, it was moved to Sat. so that if the weather caused a delay(one day)people who planned and spent money to be there could still get to see the race on Sun. IMHO the AMA put Suberbike on the back burner not making it the premier event. I know alot of people that feel the same. This is the first time since '98 I didn't go for different reasons. Florida is just boring to ride, flat, gridlike roads, but I will be going to other races this year.

moving the races to saturday may have been a combination of the two factors, the one I mentioned and yours. It was thought that many people used Sunday as a get away day, to return to work on Monday, so they couldn't get to the track.
You may remember when Superbike was not the makeup of the 200 race. It was a class called formula one, and it included the venerable TZ 750 Yamaha, as well as many of the bikes that were run in the European GP wars. There was much complaining when superbike became the grid for the 200. At one time 4 stroke one thousands, and TZ 750's competed together, with the superbikes getting waxed every year.
When the superbike class was again moved up to 1000 cc 4 cylinder bikes, the superbikes just made too much horsepower for the tires available. This is the reason they went back down to the 600 class.

wolfy692005
03-13-2006, 15:42
yeah florida is not as fun to ride in as MO or IL but i am still getting used to it as well.. learning places to go.. the wife and i usually just take off and pick a direction and go.. dont worry about where we are or where we will end up just make sure we have gas.. if we get lost somebody will point us the right direction some time..:)
Bike week gets pretty boring to me pretty quick.. i liked sturgis much better, lots of places to ride to..

BCM
03-16-2006, 20:10
Been to Sturgis twice, '98 stopped on the way to AK and '99 went back to see friends. long ride across SD, but the roads out and around the Black Hills area are smokin'! Sturgis is just a bike rally, that part I can do without, 250,000 people trying to look different, "like everybody else" LOL. Daytona and Loudon are based aroung a race weekend. And thats why I go. not much into watching the cruiser crowd, now racing and babes at the track, thats a different story