Crew Chiefs [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Crew Chiefs

tyesai
03-12-2006, 14:41
How many other crew chiefs out there? Come on yall know we are probably the nastiest group in the Fair Force. Lets hear some stories. Fighter guys and Cargo guys on equal footing, past and present welcome.

ricky
03-12-2006, 19:48
Current crew chief here as a reservist, was active duty served two years at Ramstein Germany and two at Tonopah Nv.

Been activated several times and just got back from Balad Iraq.

Currently assigned at Homestead Fl.

RussP
03-13-2006, 19:34
A crew chief is the best friend of anyone wearing wings and not a crew chief!!!!!!!!

Puke in a plane, the crew chief is no longer your best friend...not your janitor or maid or mother...you lost it, you find all of it. Rank? What's that? {The smell if you don't clean up all of it!!}

It is the crew chief's aircraft...any questions? You borrow it in good condition...return in same condition, less normal wear and tear...bullet holes from small arms is not normal wear and tear.

Peg the g-meter and the crew chief gets really pissed...

Leaving the plane while it is still flying is a no-no. Leaving when the engine(s) quit may be acceptable.

Most importantly, in an aircraft where the crew chief stays on the ground, when that crew chief salutes as you leave on a combat mission, return it sharply and with respect, he (or she, now) has done his job... They are passing control to a Higher Authority...

Did I miss anything?

RussP
SSgt
USAF 1/67 - 1/71
Combat Photographer
126 Combat Missions by the Grace of God and some great Crew Chiefs

habu3
03-14-2006, 20:20
Started my AF life as a B-52G crew chief. Our Bomb Wg was deactivated after VN so I moved to KC135Qs. The very unofficial motto of the Q model tanker was "We screw the Habu" since it pumped gas for the SR-71. Moved into the SR program after that which is why I use the handle I do. Not officially a Habu since I have not flown at mach 3+ but I smelled enough JP-7 and lost enough sleep on TDYs.

Sgt_York
03-14-2006, 21:05
Retired AF crewed F-4's, A-10's and KC-135R's. SJ, Eglin, Taegu, England AFB, King Faud, KKMC, Griffiss, and McConnel.
77'-98'

Jeff51
03-15-2006, 12:38
Crew chief B-52H at Minot AFB and Grand Forks AFB from '68 till '76 with time off to go to Thailand and Guam. And your right , It was MY AIRPLANE not the flying crews!!!!!:cool:

crewdog252
03-15-2006, 15:41
Only crewed F-15s so far. I've worked the flight line until last summer when i went to the MOC. It's been a nice break but, I'm going to Kadena and back to the line in May to work old C models. I hope to go to another fighter when i make Tech. Hopefully, A-10s.

Sgt_York
03-15-2006, 16:21
I was a Flying Tiger during Desert Storm, you will love the A-10. I crewed the 23 FW wing commander jet.

SCPO
03-15-2006, 18:27
i was a crew chief on F-100D,F at homestead afb, fl. 1962-66.

RussP
03-15-2006, 19:34
Originally posted by Jeff51
Crew chief B-52H at Minot AFB and Grand Forks AFB from '68 till '76 with time off to go to Thailand and Guam. And your right , It was MY AIRPLANE not the flying crews!!!!!:cool: ^c

Glockenbang76
03-15-2006, 21:26
One of my favorite stories of being a crew dawg happened when I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath in the UK. As many of you know, only some pilots get their name put on the side of an aircraft (more pilots than aircraft). This particular day, I was crewing aircraft 86-0176, since it's dedicated crew chief was on leave. I was the assistant crew chief on 86-0171, and I was never fond of crewing other aircraft. Anyways, Captain Glen comes out to the aircraft, and he was glowing as if he just purchased a new Glock. I look up at the aircraft and realize that his name is on the side of 0176. As I give him the aircraft forms, he asks, "How's the pride of USAFE?" Being a smart ass, I snap back with, "171 is great. I'm sure you'll see it at EOR (end of runway)." He shot me the most evil look. So, I get him in the cockpit, and begin to help him get situated. The parachute risers are the harness buckles that go over the pilots shoulders and are fastened to the seat. Our standard procedure is to have the pilot click the buckle in place, and the crew chief tugs on it to be sure the buckle is fully engaged. Well.....it wasn't and the heavy buckle assembly tagged the top of Captain Glen's left eye socket. He doubles over in pain and begins to rub his eyebrow. He was pissed, and I was trying not to laugh. So the launch goes off without a problem and the aircraft leaves. About a half hour later, I go back to my spot to prepare for the aircraft recovery. The expediter pulls up and says someone else will recover the aircraft, and tells me to get in the truck. He procedes to tell me that Captain Glen radioed the tower to make sure I was not to be there when he returned. I sat in the truck as the aircraft returned. Capt. Glen gets out and you could see a nice strawberry on his left eyebrow. To this day that makes me laugh.

RussP
03-16-2006, 19:33
Glockenbang76, that is a great story!!!

;f ;f ;f

Lennyjoe
03-22-2006, 17:48
A-10 crew chief here. Haven't crewed in a couple of years though. Was in Flight Safety the last 2 years and now I'm a Flight Chief for an A-10 outfit.

Still going strong though with 20 + years.

Glockenbang76
03-22-2006, 20:08
I love A-10s. They are so simple to work on, yet so cool. I remember in fundamentals replacing the utility hydro system on an A-10. It only took an hour. For a 15, that job would take atleast three times as long. The Air Force will always be hard-pressed to replace that cannon with wings.

Sgt_York
03-22-2006, 20:57
You think a F-15 is bad try an F-4, I love the A-10. Although I can say troubleshooting/changing a vib sensor isn't a lot of fun.

Cruisin23
03-23-2006, 09:48
I'm at Sheppard now. 25 more training days here, on to Tyndall, Then back to my Guard unit: 173d FW Kingsley Field, OR to Crew F-15s

Glockenbang76
03-24-2006, 06:45
Never said an F-15 was bad....but an A-10 is way more simple to work on. F-4s? I've heard engine changes on those are a nightmare!

Glockenbang76
03-24-2006, 06:56
Originally posted by Cruisin23
I'm at Sheppard now. 25 more training days here, on to Tyndall, Then back to my Guard unit: 173d FW Kingsley Field, OR to Crew F-15s
Cruisin,
I was doing exactly what you are learning (Tech school) exactly ten years ago today. Tech school in Texas will be the worst part of your AF career. Tyndall was a brand new program when I went through. In fact, the dorm rooms (which were right next to the beach) were recently refurbished when I arrived there. I had a lot of fun there, and it's cool to be working an a live F-15. Too bad Tyndall's F-15s are old C Models with f100 engines. However, you'll be working with old F-15s anyways at te guard unit, so it will be pretty similar to you. Is McCollough Hall still around in Sheppard?

jackb
03-24-2006, 15:30
I've been reading this forum forever, but this thread has finally got me to post something.

A-10 Crew Chief here. First stationed at Pope, then Osan (Pil Sung!) and I've been at Eielson for about a year and a half now. Back in Bagram again at the moment.

Glockenbang76
03-24-2006, 17:54
A-10s are da bomb! Too bad a lot of them are no longer painted in the camo scheme.

Lennyjoe
04-08-2006, 18:58
jackb, when were you in Korea? 02-03 for me.

adamgh81
07-20-2006, 00:00
I know this is an older post, but i'm new here.

F-16 Crew Chief in the Guard since May 2000

Jon K
07-20-2006, 14:38
B-52 D 6580 March AFB, back when there was a SAC. 1980-82
KC-10A march AFB 1982-82

Glockenbang76
07-21-2006, 09:39
I did an airshow at March ARB in 1999. Nice base. Super location!

PatinAz
04-12-2007, 22:21
Crew Chief on KC-135Rs at Fairchild AFB from '97 to '01. Great job, great people, great trips, crappy trips, would do it all again in a heartbeat. Anyone know Limewood (aka Limey/Slimey)?

b52ace
04-13-2007, 19:23
but I started my career as a MX Officer at Grand Forks (and got tired of working for a living and became a pilot! :) )

Seriously, having spent 2.5 yrs in MX, CCs were the greatest people on the flightline and I fully understood who owned that B-52 when they handed me the forms. Enjoyed taking them TDY and making sure they were part of my crew.

Thanks to all, current and former.

Viper16
04-16-2007, 14:10
:wavey: F-16 Crew Chief in the OKANG for 5 years and loving every bit of it. Getting ready to serve my second time overseas this coming summer. It is an honor to be able to serve for my country and work on a multi-million dollar aircraft with my brothers and sisters of the USAF :supergrin:

klt1986
04-25-2007, 20:56
T-38 Crew Chief, Reese AFB from 1987 to 1991.

Ian-NH
06-20-2007, 06:30
KC-10 guy here from McGuire AFB. 1996-1999

USAFE7RET
06-23-2007, 17:49
462xx here, cut trained as a crew chief, Luke AFB 74-78. Was swingshift crew chief of F15A 73100. Had a ball loading wpns, fuel tanks, working wpns systems, hydraulics, AMAD, JFS, engines etc. Was working on Avionics qualifications but PCSed to soon.
:banana:

Engine runs on the trim pad were a real BLAST for this wpns troop, Loved full AB WOW :shocked: :shocked: :thumbsup:

Fox_Starwing
07-13-2007, 12:56
A-10 Warthog crew chief, 175th wing MD air guard.
I love that plane... Some say it's ugly, but I think it is
beautiful, and the most capable ground attack aircraft in the world.

I'm currently working as a phase maintenance guy. You know the drill, every four hundred hours we rip the plane apart and fix everything.

Live With Honor
07-30-2007, 18:38
Crewed F-15's for six years. Still the sexiest airframe in the inventory!!!

I specifically remember recovering my aircraft after a patrol mission at PSAB. After the Major gets into the truck to go to briefing, I start my thruflight, and notice a gaping hole in the left rear stabilator. My first thought was "Why the hell didn't my pilot tell me he had been hit!?" I call my pilot back to the aircraft and ask him what gives. His exact words "I'll be damn! I knew the bastards were shooting at us, but I didn't know I took one!"

Turns out he had taken a chunk of AA fire will on mission, and didn't even know it! The round missed the actuator by about six inches. Now that's a solid aircraft!

Glockenbang76
08-08-2007, 21:12
Originally posted by Live With Honor
Crewed F-15's for six years. Still the sexiest airframe in the inventory!!!

I specifically remember recovering my aircraft after a patrol mission at PSAB. After the Major gets into the truck to go to briefing, I start my thruflight, and notice a gaping hole in the left rear stabilator. My first thought was "Why the hell didn't my pilot tell me he had been hit!?" I call my pilot back to the aircraft and ask him what gives. His exact words "I'll be damn! I knew the bastards were shooting at us, but I didn't know I took one!"

Turns out he had taken a chunk of AA fire will on mission, and didn't even know it! The round missed the actuator by about six inches. Now that's a solid aircraft!

The F-15 rules the school. I had many happy memories fishing pilot pens out of the cockpit, and cleaning my girl until she shined. Live, what base were you stationed at?

BigBore45
10-28-2008, 14:35
I'm in Az as well in the 358th. Where are u a Flight Chief?

crewdog252
10-29-2008, 10:32
I've been a F-15 crew chief for almost 13 years now. I was at Mtn Home AFB for 10 and finishing my sentence at Kadena AB with a deros of spring 09. If I stay on 15's, I want to go back to E-models. I have crewed, worked in the moc, and currently employed as an expeditor. Love my job..very busy. I'm ready to get back to my guns!!

devinsdad
11-08-2008, 20:51
Was wondering if a Crew Chief Thread would ever surface.
Started out in 85 on F-15 A&B's, then got C&D's then started geting MSIP C&D's, all this at Eglin, Moved on to Keflavik in Iceland 88-89, then to DM for A-10's. Love that plane! Went to Osan in 91, then to McChord with the 354th in 92. Back to DM in 95 and there till I retired in 2005. Was in the 57th, 58th, and retired out of the 54th. Had orders to Kadina 2 weeks before returning from Balad, Iraq, when I made up my mind to bail. Thought I'd miss it more... Maybe all us DM guys should get together some weekend and throw some lead around. Give me a shout,
Fritz
frdmh@msn.com

wyattearp
11-30-2008, 20:09
Crew Chief on the inimitable RF-4C...Bergstrom Air Patch and Sunny Zweibrucken AB. I have the scars to prove it! One on the top of my head from the LOX door and one in the middle of my back from a fuel drain. Great bird, fun times. Still miss them.

CPT_CRUNCH
12-02-2008, 16:36
Crew chief B-52H at Minot AFB and Grand Forks AFB from '68 till '76 with time off to go to Thailand and Guam. And your right , It was MY AIRPLANE not the flying crews!!!!!:cool:

BUFFS ROCK!!! :supergrin:

MDLibertarian
01-01-2009, 13:15
I did an airshow at March ARB in 1999. Nice base. Super location!

I lived about a 45 minute drive from there in Hemet, CA. Too bad most of the facilities were mothballed with the BRAC closures and the transfer of the base from active duty to reserve. My dad was the project superintendent for the construction of the headquarters for the air refueling unit that was (or is) based there back in the late-1980s.

I was a crew chief on C-17s at Charleston AFB from 1995 - 1999 with the 637th Aircraft Generation Squadron. The 637AGS was eventually reintegrated with the 437AGS (C-141s at the time) after the C-141s were put out to pasture, but I retrained into the intelligence field before that happened. I still miss working on aircraft, but my knees sure don't.

wraithZ06
01-13-2009, 00:03
wow this thread is old. :cool: Former C-130 crew chief, stationed at Little Rock AFB Arkansas. Didn't like the base all that much, so I tried to stay TDY as much as I could.

I have lots of stories, but I will tell one of my most embarrassing. Nellis AFB, Red Flag training. If you don't know what red or green flag is out at Nellis, hopefully you have seen the Discovery Channel's show on it. We stayed for about 3 weeks maybe longer, can't remember. I just remember getting bored in Vegas :shocked:.

Inspecting and servicing my aircraft (I was on dayshift, because we all know dayshift does all the work and nightshift beats us home from work:rofl:), my trainer asks me if I wanted to take an incentive flight. I said sure, mind you I had no idea what I had in store.

My breakfast that morning consisted of peanut M&M's and raspberry tea (which till this day, I still can't drink, you'll read later why). Noon time rolls around and the air crew shows up, everything is cleared for me to ride along.

We take off into the wild blue yonder. I had to throw that in there. Our mission was to fly thru the cannons and purge the crossovers of fuel. Well to purge, the aircraft flies 90 degrees untill the purge is complete. I was on the left wing and the load master is on the right wing. You basically strap yourself to the paratrooper door, so you don't fall off. Then tell the pilot that the purge is complete. Not bad so far.

Then comes flying thru the canyons. Diving, climbing, banking, all kinds of crazy stuff that I didn't know this big ass cargo aircraft could do or was capable of doing. Believe me when I tell you that the C-130 is a very nimble aircraft considering its size.:wow:

So during one of the dives, the pilot failed to tell us in the back we were diving. I happened to be in the rear, walking up to the front. During that little walk, I became weight less and became friendly with the aileron pack. woo hoo.

So after all the banking and turning. The little bit of food (candy) I had in my gut, got sprewed into a vomit bag. I was always used to picking them up off the floor and in the paratrooper seats. Never thought I would have to use one. Come to find out, my trainer and the pilot knew each other pretty well, and was instructed to "give him a ride". Well I got one and still don't like Lipton raspberry ice tea. :rofl:

C5GreaseMonkey
01-19-2009, 12:49
What?!? No Big girl lovers here?!?

C5 / C17 A/R guy here, been stuck at dover for the last 5 years. :faint:

coker737
01-28-2009, 09:39
but I started my career as a MX Officer at Grand Forks (and got tired of working for a living and became a pilot! :) )

Seriously, having spent 2.5 yrs in MX, CCs were the greatest people on the flightline and I fully understood who owned that B-52 when they handed me the forms. Enjoyed taking them TDY and making sure they were part of my crew.

Thanks to all, current and former.

Crew Chief
B-52D Carswell 1977-1982
B-52H Carswell 1982-1986
B-52G Andersen AFB 1986-1990
Then all over the world, KC-135A/B/C/J/R, C-5/C-141/C-17/T-43

32 years later and still in Aviation Maint. SWA :cool:

22crew
02-03-2009, 15:50
New guy here, been crewin for 11 years now. Eight of those on 15's and the last three on 22's. Looks like the only 22 guy here. I've always said its the job you love to hate. Nothing better than ending the day knowing you accomplished something. One more thing, i really really dislike NONNERS.

22crew

finz50
02-18-2009, 17:59
Do MX officers count? We get greasy when we can......22Crew, FYI, this is your new MOO talking.....still trying to get spun up on you guys!