anyone seen the new FJ Cruiser? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : anyone seen the new FJ Cruiser?

91whiskey
03-13-2006, 06:34
This new toyota, the fj cruiser, was secheduled for release march 2006. I'm an old land cruiser fan and I think I'll love this new rig but I haven't actually gotten to see any more than what's on the web.

Has anyone seen it at their local dealer, please convey your thoughts on this rig.

OUSooner
03-13-2006, 12:23
Being a K5 Blazer and Bronco fan I was really excited about the FJ coming back. Looks pretty good but I won't buy one because there is NO V8 option.;g

epsylum
03-13-2006, 13:17
I saw one at a car show. I was impressed (except for the color they had ;0). It is based on a modified 4 runner chasis and has the new V-6 from the tacoma (260ish hp IIRC). Locking diffs front and rear are availible as well as a six speed manual. It comes with some rather meaty tires from the factory (bigger than any stock Jeep I have seen) and is supposed to be very low priced for what you get.

If I had a need for one and I hadn't just gotten a new cr I would be VERY interested.

This is Toyotas attack on Jeep Wranglers and Nissan Xterras.

Griffin1340
03-13-2006, 14:59
Looks like my type of toy...if I can only get my wife to pay for it!;f

DriBak
03-14-2006, 17:21
It's a 4runner with different skin

Asha'man
03-15-2006, 01:15
Looks pretty capable offroad, but I think it's FUGLY as hell. ;0

Brian

91whiskey
03-18-2006, 15:29
C'mon, anyone actually laid hands on one? Any test drives? All I've seen is a few pics and even with those I don't know if that was the concept car or the actual production model.

forgive me for not going to my local dealer and inquiring about this vehicle but I'm in iraq right now. Need to buy a vehicle when I get home. I think the FJ cruiser might be the one for me!

Griffin1340
03-18-2006, 15:39
Originally posted by Asha'man
Looks pretty capable offroad, but I think it's FUGLY as hell. ;0

Brian

Well I kinda like FUGLY! I'm used to it, I drive a '88 Isuzu Trooper II. Looks like a box with windows and wheels. It'll go anywhere I point it though! I'll keep my options open on the Cruiser.

epsylum
03-18-2006, 21:03
Originally posted by 91whiskey
C'mon, anyone actually laid hands on one? Any test drives? All I've seen is a few pics and even with those I don't know if that was the concept car or the actual production model.

forgive me for not going to my local dealer and inquiring about this vehicle but I'm in iraq right now. Need to buy a vehicle when I get home. I think the FJ cruiser might be the one for me!

I don't think it is officially out yet. At least the last time I talked to my Toyota Tech buddy, it wasn't.

I think it would be a safe bet that it is at least half way decent since it is a Toyota. They don't seem to be making any dumb moves lately. Even that butt-ugly Scion xB seems to be selling (I thought for sure that was going the way of the Aztek).

Rob1035
03-19-2006, 06:58
I agree EP, Toyota (and many of the Japanese) companies are making good decisions. The Scions are a perfect example: a low priced, reliable and 'customizable' car is obviously going to have great appeal to the F&F crowd who can't afford europes "entry level" offerings...

epsylum
03-19-2006, 07:37
Originally posted by Rob1035
I agree EP, Toyota (and many of the Japanese) companies are making good decisions. The Scions are a perfect example: a low priced, reliable and 'customizable' car is obviously going to have great appeal to the F&F crowd who can't afford europes "entry level" offerings...

I forgive Toyota for the xB because they released the tC. The tC looks sweet, too bad I don't fit in it. I test drove one and my knees were in the dash with the seat all the way back. Good thing the 'Rolla is WAY bigger on the inside than it looks.

OUSooner
03-21-2006, 07:27
Did anyone realize the FJ requires 91 octane?;P

91whiskey
03-21-2006, 12:33
No, I didn't know that! Why does it require 91 oct? Where did you find this out?

OUSooner
03-21-2006, 18:23
Got my latest issure of Road and Track in they did a head to head comparo with the Toyota, Hummer H3, Jeep grand cherokee, and Nissan Xterra. Looked at the specs and it states that the FJ requires 91 octane. Maybe because of the compression ratio?

Rob1035
03-21-2006, 18:56
10:1 compression, so yeah thats probably it...although most modern engine management allows you to drive with less octane than that with no real side effects other than less power.

epsylum
03-21-2006, 19:32
My Corolla XRS is somewhere near 11:1 compression ratio so all it ever gets is Shell premium.

It sucks having to pay around $2.70 a gallon right now, but at least I am averaging high 20's mpg city driving.

Rob1035
03-21-2006, 20:16
i'm suprised though, i figured it'd have the V6 from the tacoma, or does it and I'm clueless? I guess I dont understand making an 'affordable' suv that needs more than 87, but toyota must have their reasons.

epsylum
03-22-2006, 21:56
i'm suprised though, i figured it'd have the V6 from the tacoma, or does it and I'm clueless? I guess I dont understand making an 'affordable' suv that needs more than 87, but toyota must have their reasons. .

I pretty sure it is, but remember the Tacoma has a newer more powerful 4.0L V-6 now (236 hp @ 5200 rpm & 266 lb.-ft. @ 4000 rpm). That new power has to come from somewhere. The Toyota website doesn't tell if the Tacoma V-6 requires 91 octane.

edited to add:

The website states that it is the 4.0 V-6 in it but it says 239hp and 278 ft/lb for the FJ. Maybe the FJ has a slightly higher compression ratio than the Tacoma.

Rob1035
03-23-2006, 06:59
that might be it then. bump the comp to get the numbers higher. I wonder how just parts binning the v6 from the tac would have helped the MSRP?

On a side note, I think a Tacoma/etc with a small turbodiesel would be awesome, like they've done outside of the US for years.

epsylum
03-23-2006, 09:31
that might be it then. bump the comp to get the numbers higher. I wonder how just parts binning the v6 from the tac would have helped the MSRP?

On a side note, I think a Tacoma/etc with a small turbodiesel would be awesome, like they've done outside of the US for years.

I am sure it would have saved some, but there is one thing I have learned about Japanese vehicle manufacturers, they can't just share parts exactly the way they are. If it is an engine, it has to be just slightly different in some way. I don't know why, but that is what they seem to do.

My brother has run into this on his GSXR-1100. He has 3-4 different engines from different bikes that are the same base 1127cc engine. As he tries to swap parts there are tiny little differences that won't allow some of the part swaps to happen, including the engine cases on some of them.

Usually the one thing that gets changed depending on application is the cylinder head. I bet the FJ and Tacoma have different heads too.

91whiskey
03-23-2006, 15:57
I hear that one about wishing for some models that are released in other countries. I've been to Europe, Mexico and a few countries in the middle east. I've seen a few cool configurations of vehicles that I wanted to bring back with me so bad. There is this one diseal 4 door 4 banger toyota (probably an '90 or so) here in iraq that I would love to have back at home. But it's easy to wish, oh well.

Rob1035
03-23-2006, 16:40
is it a toyota hilux?

91whiskey
03-24-2006, 16:40
Yeah, it is a hi-lux and it comes standard with this off-road package. Just strikes me as a tough little agile truck that will run forever.

epsylum
03-24-2006, 18:27
Yeah, it is a hi-lux and it comes standard with this off-road package. Just strikes me as a tough little agile truck that will run forever.

cue the topgear video.

:popcorn:

In short, your gut is right on that assumption. ;)

vart
03-27-2006, 21:44
A friend of mine is a salesman at a Toyota dealership and when I stopped by to meet for lunch, I noticed a yellow FJ out front. I didn't have time to drive it, but I did crawl all over it and take a pretty close look.

It is bigger in person than what I thought it would be. I'm 6'1" and almost felt a little low in the seat. Plenty of headroom and legroom up front. It also has little back doors that open to allow easy access to the back seats, which are a little cramped for me, but plenty of room for kids or women(both of which will beg you for a ride).

The view out is very strange; the front and side windows are short and square, so it feels like you are driving a Hummer; I liked it! Interior was very utilitarian and easy to clean, seemed to be put together well.

This FJ had all the options with a cool tubular roof rack, nerf bars, and full, thick aluminum skid plates.

Price was $30,600.

In summary, I was trying to justify buying one ;) . All it needed was about 3" of lift, some 33" aggressive tires and a real front bumper and I would take it anywhere.

Forgot to add: My friend has driven it around the city and on the interstate and he said it handles and rides extremely well for an SUV with plenty of power, unlike the H3 joke.

Stopdropnroll
05-29-2006, 15:19
It is with a heavy heart that I report that Jeremy Loveless (91 Whiskey) was killed in action today, 29 May 2006 (Memorial Day) in Mosul Iraq.

I'll be starting a thread in GNG.

SDnR

Asha'man
05-31-2006, 10:23
Holy ****. :frown:
Brian

Griffin1340
05-31-2006, 12:16
Sorry to hear of the loss of another brave American:patriot: My wishes go out to his family. God Bless you young man.
I wish you could have gotten that FJ.

16vmkII
06-11-2006, 05:23
RIP Brother :beer:

Kentuckian
06-20-2006, 02:10
This new toyota, the fj cruiser, was secheduled for release march 2006. I'm an old land cruiser fan and I think I'll love this new rig but I haven't actually gotten to see any more than what's on the web.

Has anyone seen it at their local dealer, please convey your thoughts on this rig.

My wife and I test drove one this afternoon.

I want one. :cool:

Edit: I realize that isn't much of a review....but I think "wanting one" pretty much says it all.

There's a lot more room inside than you might think. I'm 6'6" and 280 pounds and was very comfortable. The interior was rather spartan, but then the vehicle isn't supposed to be a luxury SUV. If you want that, look elsewhere.

It had plenty of power, and drove and handled extremely well. The salesman said it's supposed to compete with the Hummer H3, and personally I think it blows the Hummer away.

The only reason we didn't get it is because we were looking for a new vehicle for my wife. If the FJ Cruiser would have had a third row of seats, it'd be in our driveway right now. My wife really liked it, but eventually decided on a Trailblazer LS 4x4, mainly due to the third row of seats.

I hope to get one after my truck is paid off.