Importation of all Russian ammo banned???? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Importation of all Russian ammo banned????


lakota222
03-13-2006, 08:21
I was at a local shop yesterday and one of the Gun Shop commandos behind the counter told me that the importation of all russian made ammo into the U.S. has been banned. No more cheap Wolf or Barnual ammo.

Now I know better than to take the word of a Gun Shop Commando, but this is down right disturbing.

Say it aint so!

Lakota

Polo
03-13-2006, 09:24
This idiot gun shop commando "said so and so" thing has being going on for so long, it's not even amusing anymore.
What is still amusing is that some guys would still give them just enough credibility so as to have to verify it somewhere else...;)

Trust me dude, he's talking out of his sorry glasscase goon ass. This kind of idiot is exactly what fuels the scenario I will speak of.
Russian ammunition is literally pouring into the country AS WE SPEAK. Vendors such as Sportsman's Guide receive Russian ammo almost weekly and can't be busy enough filling and shipping out ammo orders, many of which are to hoarders.
If you can't see much ammo out there it's not so much because importation has lessened but rather because of all the ARMCHAIR COMMANDO paranoid guys HOARDING multiple cases and drying-up supplies at the slightest hint of import ban rumors, moreso even a price change, however small ;Q ...
Kind of a vicious cycle.


:soap:

lakota222
03-13-2006, 09:42
That's good to hear. I am not a hoarder. I buy a case and then I promptly shoot up said case. I went in and asked for 7.62x39 ammo and was told by this moron that it is no longer imported. I suspected that it was B.S. but it still frightened me. I searched the net and found nothing about a ban.


Lakota

cpubugs
03-13-2006, 16:27
From what I understand Wolf was retooling alot of their plant and that is all. By the end of March there should be plenty of ammo.

DWavs
03-13-2006, 19:40
Originally posted by lakota222
That's good to hear. I am not a hoarder. I buy a case and then I promptly shoot up said case. I went in and asked for 7.62x39 ammo and was told by this moron that it is no longer imported. I suspected that it was B.S. but it still frightened me. I searched the net and found nothing about a ban.


Lakota

Hoarding is not buying a case and keeping some on hand. By all means, don't shoot the whole case if you have it. I currently have 2800 rounds and slowly plink through it but if I got down to 1,000 or so, I would start conserving.

I am sure Polo meant a hoarder is someone who buys 10,000-20,000 rounds with the intent of sitting on it since they heard there might be a shortage.

Polo
03-13-2006, 20:00
Originally posted by DWavs
Hoarding is not buying a case and keeping some on hand. By all means, don't shoot the whole case if you have it. I currently have 2800 rounds and slowly plink through it but if I got down to 1,000 or so, I would start conserving.

I am sure Polo meant a hoarder is someone who buys 10,000-20,000 rounds with the intent of sitting on it since they heard there might be a shortage.


exactly

.30
03-15-2006, 21:27
Originally posted by DWavs
Hoarding is not buying a case and keeping some on hand. By all means, don't shoot the whole case if you have it. I currently have 2800 rounds and slowly plink through it but if I got down to 1,000 or so, I would start conserving.

I am sure Polo meant a hoarder is someone who buys 10,000-20,000 rounds with the intent of sitting on it since they heard there might be a shortage.

I know a guy like this. The man has 35,000 rounds or so of steel cased commie 7.62x39 stockpiled that he never shoots!;P Anytime he has a chance to buy some he gets all he can. I tried to buy a case of Wolf off him but no dice. According to him they are not going to be importing it anymore;g ;5

sopmodm4
03-15-2006, 21:56
I'm guilty too.

I always buy 2 cases,one to shoot and one to put back.

My goal is to have at least 1 ton of 7.62x39 ammunition within the next 10 years :D

Polo
03-15-2006, 22:32
Originally posted by sopmodm4


My goal is to have at least 1 ton of 7.62x39 ammunition within the next 10 years :D

Thn that should be bout....50 cases or 50,000 rounds! ;P

Tomac
03-16-2006, 05:19
There is no ammo ban now but all it would take is a stroke of a pen to make one.
Tomac

Guod
03-21-2006, 05:48
Originally posted by Tomac
There is no ammo ban now but all it would take is a stroke of a pen to make one.
Tomac

I am guessing you have at least 100,000 rounds of 7.62 in your basement. ;a

Tomac
03-21-2006, 05:51
Originally posted by Guod
I am guessing you have at least 100,000 rounds of 7.62 in your basement. ;a

Hmmm... I don't think so as I don't have anything chambered in 7.62x39 right now. Come to think of it, I don't even have a basement!... ;)
Tomac

Glockdude1
03-21-2006, 06:13
Originally posted by cpubugs
From what I understand Wolf was retooling alot of their plant and that is all. By the end of March there should be plenty of ammo.

+1

;N

oldsmith
03-21-2006, 19:22
Quit hoarding! I need some to shoot! Oh, wait, they have some.

Hoarding because you think it will dry up is on thing. The guys who hoard for survival are a little nuts. How are you going to move 1 ton of ammo around when the world ends?

Me, I don't need 1 ton of ammo. I'm sneaky and have a big knife.

Polo
03-21-2006, 19:45
Originally posted by oldsmith
How are you going to move 1 ton of ammo around when the world ends?

Me, I don't need 1 ton of ammo. I'm sneaky and have a big knife.

It is a little-known fact that tons of ammo helps to keep your homestead anchored to the ground for when Katrina, or Tornado Thomas hits...or for when the home-sucking aliens arrive.

El Duderino
03-21-2006, 20:33
Just had a similar experience today. At a gunshop in a neighboring town, just looking around. He had several stacks of Wolf so I asked his case price.....$275 per thousand. He didn't even flinch, said it proud like he was doing me a favor. I thanked him and kept looking around. The other guy behind the counter jumped in with his two cents to let me know what a great deal that was. According to him an importer connected to the Russian mob imported "millions" of rounds that were stolen and never accounted for, he then sold them for bargain prices. Because they were stolen he could sell them cheap and still make huge profits. And that is why we have all been buying cheap 7.62 all these years. ;P I just gave him the old "Wow, that's really something" and browsed around some more. They also had used Bulgarian 30 round AK mags for the low, low price of $24.99 each. Yup, quite a bargain.

Guod
03-22-2006, 08:25
Don't these people realize how stupid they sound...rofl

So basically this mobster loaded up a boat the equivalent size of a super tanker, snuck it through the ports without an eyebrow raised, and has been selling it for years. :rollsmiley:

oldsmith
03-22-2006, 19:02
Originally posted by Polo
It is a little-known fact that tons of ammo helps to keep your homestead anchored to the ground for when Katrina, or Tornado Thomas hits...or for when the home-sucking aliens arrive.

Ah I didn't think of that. I better get to casting. I'm glad I got a .54 caliber, those balls are heavier than that old .36 I had.

Glockdude1
03-23-2006, 08:12
Originally posted by El Duderino
Just had a similar experience today. At a gunshop in a neighboring town, just looking around. He had several stacks of Wolf so I asked his case price.....$275 per thousand. He didn't even flinch, said it proud like he was doing me a favor. I thanked him and kept looking around. The other guy behind the counter jumped in with his two cents to let me know what a great deal that was. According to him an importer connected to the Russian mob imported "millions" of rounds that were stolen and never accounted for, he then sold them for bargain prices. Because they were stolen he could sell them cheap and still make huge profits. And that is why we have all been buying cheap 7.62 all these years. ;P I just gave him the old "Wow, that's really something" and browsed around some more. They also had used Bulgarian 30 round AK mags for the low, low price of $24.99 each. Yup, quite a bargain.

$275 per case? Russian Mob? "Cheap" $25 AK mags? :laughabove: :laughabove:

So, how many cases did ya buy?? ;)

:devilishgrin:

Polo
03-23-2006, 11:41
Originally posted by El Duderino
Just had a similar experience today. At a gunshop in a neighboring town, just looking around. He had several stacks of Wolf so I asked his case price.....$275 per thousand. He didn't even flinch, said it proud like he was doing me a favor. I thanked him and kept looking around. The other guy behind the counter jumped in with his two cents to let me know what a great deal that was. According to him an importer connected to the Russian mob imported "millions" of rounds that were stolen and never accounted for, he then sold them for bargain prices. Because they were stolen he could sell them cheap and still make huge profits. And that is why we have all been buying cheap 7.62 all these years. ;P I just gave him the old "Wow, that's really something" and browsed around some more. They also had used Bulgarian 30 round AK mags for the low, low price of $24.99 each. Yup, quite a bargain.

WoW, goes show that there is still no shortage in this world of people that can shovel out the BS with impunity and make themselves into total idiots in the eyes of others.
Amazing what greed with a little stupidity in the mix can do.

Makes me want to say this quote again:
"I used to get angry, now I'm just amused."

Thanks for the story Duderino.

RENEA
03-26-2006, 11:15
Originally posted by lakota222
Now I know better than to take the word of a Gun Shop Commando, but this is down right disturbing.

Say it aint so!

Lakota

It ain't so. The Russians are filling a huge order for Venuzuela and production should be resumed for the US market very soon. Don't buy into the gun shop commando hype. :beer:

cadillacguns
03-28-2006, 07:05
Local dealer just got a supply in Friday, WOLF HP Russian made.

Tacticalweapon
04-05-2006, 07:46
The state department has warned Russia about future sanctions if it continues to sell arms to our enemies. If these arms sales continue which I expect they will, look for all Russian made ammo and arms imports to be banned from entering the U.S. No one is forcing Russia to sell these arms so don't go blaming the U.S. when it happens. Its only a matter of time not (IF).

Another problem. The large U.S. ammunition manufactures have been complaining about cheap Russian ammo. Because of this Wolf has been considering opening a plant in the U.S.

Glockdude1
04-05-2006, 08:00
I just received my 3rd case of 7.62x39 from sportsmansguide.

:cool:

Tacticalweapon
04-05-2006, 08:56
Originally posted by Glockdude1
I just received my 3rd case of 7.62x39 from sportsmansguide.

:cool:



When ammo from Russia is banned it really wouldn't effect anyone because the asian countries will make up for the difference at lower prices. The main problem will be the Saiga and the Vepr being banned from import.

Fear762
04-05-2006, 11:35
Who cares about crappy wolf ammo anyways. Its a damn shame the best deadliest and most accurate ak,sks ammo ever, Chinese steel core is banned from importation.

Glockdude1
04-05-2006, 13:23
Originally posted by Fear762
Who cares about crappy wolf ammo anyways. Its a damn shame the best deadliest and most accurate ak,sks ammo ever, Chinese steel core is banned from importation.

You could always start you own ammo business. You could create "American Steel Core" 7.62x39 ammunition. You would be a millionaire fast.

:cool:

Tacticalweapon
04-05-2006, 15:28
Its been said that once China is placed in most favored nation status, that they will again be able to export ammo and guns to America. I'll have to see it before I believe it though.

expeditionx
04-05-2006, 17:57
Originally posted by Glockdude1
You could always start you own ammo business. You could create "American Steel Core" 7.62x39 ammunition. You would be a millionaire fast.

:cool:

The 1994 Assult Weapon Ban Bill had banned steel core ammo altogether, cant remember if its just steel core pistol ammo though. That part of the bill did not sunset.
7.62x39 has been considered pistol ammo since the first 7.62x39 pistols were imported and later also because of Olympic Arms.
So it would be illegal to manufacture steel core 7.62x39 ammo.

Glockdude1
04-05-2006, 19:29
Originally posted by Tacticalweapon
Its been said that once China is placed in most favored nation status, that they will again be able to export ammo and guns to America. I'll have to see it before I believe it though.

That would be great to be able to buy a brand new Norinco AK, at a decent price, and several case's of Chinese ammo (lead core) to go with it.

:cool:

ChuteTheMall
02-07-2010, 19:52
Just had a similar experience today. At a gunshop in a neighboring town, just looking around. He had several stacks of Wolf so I asked his case price.....$275 per thousand. He didn't even flinch, said it proud like he was doing me a favor. I thanked him and kept looking around. The other guy behind the counter jumped in with his two cents to let me know what a great deal that was....


4 years ago we never heard of Obama, and now $275 per thousand is considered pretty much back down to normal pricing, when ammo can be found.

Of course, Russian ammo hasn't been banned...........yet.

Puppy
02-08-2010, 05:53
I imagine that when it is banned, that all imported ammunition will be banned.

Blitzer
02-08-2010, 07:14
It would not take much to stop the importation of any off shore ammo into the U.S. so it is a concern to be addressing with your elected officials.

I mean sending a nice well though out, well written letter addressing the rumor and asking your reps to ensure there are no limits put on importing the ammo.

One letter equates to around 8 concerned citizens feelings and beliefs. Get your friends involved in the effort once a month. And don't keep sending the same old letter every time as well, keep it fresh and light.

PlasticGuy
02-08-2010, 08:27
...Its a damn shame the best deadliest and most accurate ak,sks ammo ever, Chinese steel core is banned from importation.
I just picked up half a case from a pawn shop for $5.99 per 20 rounds (on stripper clips). Not nearly the bargain it was before the import ban, but it was just cool to see some again.

As has already been covered, there is no ban. The value of this discussion though is a thought exercise. If there was a ban, would you be prepared to deal with the rise in cost and decrease in availability. And what's wrong with hording? :tongueout:

Teej
02-08-2010, 09:50
I was in several gun stores this past weekend in Jacksonville, FL on Sat. afternoon. The 3 stores I visited were PACKED with customers, buying guns, ammo and all kinds of accesories.

Every one of these stores were full of ammo. The largest store, the size if a Walgreens drug store that you couldn't walk in a straight line because of how many folks were in there shopping, and floor displays of Russian case ammo, .223 & 7.62.

They also had floor displays, cases of ammo stacked on the floor, of 308's, .38's, .45's, .410's, cases of AR & AK magazines. And each store had quantities of AR rifles for sale.

Whomever the OP talked to was either miss informed or they were trying to push other ammo or jack the price of their Russian stuff up.

Rusty Shackleford
02-09-2010, 06:27
There is no ammo ban now but all it would take is a stroke of a pen to make one.
Tomac

I'm... so.... startled. Let the hoarding begin! :upeyes:

MisterPX
02-09-2010, 15:20
WOLF is an importer, they don't make anything, besides invoices ;)

If they started a plant in the US, costs of the ammo would be on par with domestic ammo, and thereby eliminate the price allure of using Wolf branded ammo.

El_Ron1
02-09-2010, 17:01
Who cares about crappy wolf ammo anyways. Its a damn shame the best deadliest and most accurate ak,sks ammo ever, Chinese steel core is banned from importation.

Laser guided, tungsten tipped depleted uranium?

cadillacguns
02-10-2010, 05:50
SHHHHHH ! Fastest way to control firearms, shut down ammo supply.

Aceman
02-11-2010, 19:18
Who is more dangerous?

A guy with 50 thousand in shed, or a guy with 500 in the closet who shot the other 49500 practicing?

mboylan
02-12-2010, 05:08
4 years ago we never heard of Obama, and now $275 per thousand is considered pretty much back down to normal pricing, when ammo can be found.

Of course, Russian ammo hasn't been banned...........yet.

It's easy to do much much better than $275/1000. There are $220/1000 deals out there. $200/1000 would be back to normal.

snappydad
02-13-2010, 20:31
You do realize that the original post in this thread was made just short of 4 years ago, right? The panic began long before Obama was a thought. If we hurry we can turn up the hoard burners now and drive the ammo and gun prices right up again. Sweet. :dunno:

wavetrain75
02-14-2010, 09:05
It ain't so. The Russians are filling a huge order for Venuzuela...

Well THAT makes me feel better.