Moderate twisties around the Phoenix area? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Moderate twisties around the Phoenix area?

fnfalman
03-20-2006, 19:16
I gotta take my friend around and mentor her a bit while I'm on vacation out in Phoenix this coming weekend. I want to take her out to a road that's not heavily travelled with cager traffic and has some moderate twisties so that she can practice her cornering skills and general riding ability. I figure we'll do a late night city ride or three so that she can practice stop & go city traffic without worrying about cars and such and I know the greater Phoenix area pretty well for that part of the training. But I do need some suggestions for the twisty roads.

03-21-2006, 13:05
Here is a web site Of local day rides. The problem is with it being a weekend there will be cars everywhere.What part of Phx will you be in? cyclerides.com

fnfalman
03-21-2006, 13:09
I'll be in the Chandler area.

03-23-2006, 04:08
From chandler I would probably opt for a ride to Tortilla Flats. Thats a good Morning ride. If you go to cyclerides.com and click on the day rides section all directions with pictures will be there. There is also the pavillons on saturday nights. Off the 101 at Indian bend road in Scottsdale. Lots of show quality cars,trucks, oldies music and motorcycles. It starts around sunset. Temps will be in the mid 80's great time to ride. Have fun and be safe. AZ Bike week starts the 31st of march. Why not stay for 2 weeks??

fnfalman
03-23-2006, 08:49
I heard about the bike week but I gotta go to work. And then there's the Rosarito Sport Bike Spring Break in Mexico the week after.

:supergrin:

Bailer
03-23-2006, 09:05
Tortilla Flat may be a little too intense for your new rider. It's loaded with tight, decreasing radius and off camber turns. Usually there are a lot of rocks across the road. It's my favorite local road, but a lot of new riders go down there every year. Some day I'm getting a supermoto kit for my 200 2t to play out there.

Find Hwy 87 (Beeline Hwy) North to the Bush Hwy (Saguaro Lake Jct). Take the Bush Hwy back South along the Salt River. It's more of the moderate twisty road it sounds like you're looking for.

BikerRN
03-24-2006, 09:06
I would head down to Tucson. Arivaca Road with the back loop to Tucson/Three Points has what you are looking for. :)

fnfalman
03-24-2006, 17:50
It looks like she won't be able to hit the freeway yet. she's too green. However, I will hook up with BikerRN and do some riding Sunday morning.:cool:

BikerRN
03-24-2006, 20:36
Looking forward to it. :)

BikerRN
03-27-2006, 17:33
Hooked up with fnfalman this weekend in Tucson. We had a nice ride. He was on Monica, the Tourino, of reknown. We went to Arivaca and took the backroad to Three Points. It is fast becoming my favorite ride.

He's a great guy and very knowledgable about bikes and riding. My door is always open to him. He pegged my wife 100% She is a "Speed Demon". :) Next time I hope to be able to keep up with him in the twisties. I pushed as hard as I dared on a public road, and he left me in the dust.

We were joined by FZR357 and his wife. A good time was had by all I hope. I will let fnfalman fill you in on his side of the story when he gets time to sit down and log on. I know he is riding today somewhere around Phoenix. I wish I was there.

Anyway, keep the shiney side up and the rubber side down.

fnfalman
03-27-2006, 21:50
It was an interesting ride. Very easy cruising and the gourmet coffee shop out in the middle of nowhere was a nice touch.

We saw three decked out adventure bikes: an old BMW GS (I think it's the R1100GS) a BMW HP2 and a KTM 950 Adventure. All had been put to good use.

Kat was quite of the speed demon on the Multistrada. The roads were deceptively easy. None of the curves were considered to be "tight", but they were all very fast off camber sweepers. If you're not familiar with the road, you can definitely get your wazoo in a sling in no time.

We even had cows crossing the road in front of us. :shocked:

A blip on the throttle sent them packing though. I knew that the Leo Vince pipe had to be good for something, heaven knows it didn't do squat for the bike's performance.

Next time when I return to Phoenix we'll have to get hooked up all over again.

PS My friend is coming along nicely. She just needed some pointers and somebody to be Tail End Charlie blocking traffic for her, that's all. If it's not raining early tomorrow, we'll make a run to Payson and I'll see if I can get her to do some easy twisties. I got her up to freeway speed now and did some full throttle blasts through 4th gear, so she's more or less comfortable with high speed cruising and acceleration. Her street traffic skills also improved considerably. After I leave she should be able to ride alone with at least a modicum of confidence.

ChaZ
03-28-2006, 12:39
I vaguely remember there was a road from Jerome to Prescott that had lots lots lots of curves. State Route 89-A. I think.

You guys can check out the best motorcycling roads in AZ at this site: http://www.motorcycleroads.us/az.html

Hope that helps!

Do a driving direction on a website map, put down from Jerome AZ, to Prescott AZ and you'll be amazed to see many curves on the map!

-ChaZ

ChaZ
03-28-2006, 12:42
Oh by the way, I would be interested in joining any group who plans for all-day riding on Saturdays. I work all day on Sundays. So, feel free to drop me a line. I ride a 2004 BMW R1100S with a gas tank that lasts 170 miles.

-ChaZ

Cryptoboy
03-28-2006, 13:01
Originally posted by ChaZ
Oh by the way, I would be interested in joining any group who plans for all-day riding on Saturdays. I work all day on Sundays. So, feel free to drop me a line. I ride a 2004 BMW R1100S with a gas tank that lasts 170 miles.

-ChaZ

If you can handle riding with one (or more) Harley riders, you're more than welcome. I try to alternate from shooting and riding on Saturdays (shoot one Saturday, ride the next).

Although, with the heat coming on soon, the Saturday rides in the summer sometimes aren't as long due to the heat. Usually start at 5:30-6 and ride until noon-1pm.

BikerRN
03-29-2006, 19:07
If you want to ride down in Tucson give me a shout.

fnfalman, next time we will have to do Kitt Peak or Mt Lemmon. The Lemmon is nice, but patrolled to heavily for my taste. Mule Pass from Silver City to Duncan has what I think you may be looking for, or the old 666 North out of Morenci.

Take care all and keep the rubber side down. :)