I have a few to add, but the 24 nazi is watching. ;f

major
03-20-2006, 22:28
1. Take a beer out of the fridge.
2. Open it.
3. Enjoy.

DepChief
03-20-2006, 22:31
If you like REALLY good Macaroni & Cheese....

3 sticks Cracker Barrel Extra Sharp cheese
1 1/2 lbs. Macaroni Noodles
1/4 cup flour
1/2 stick butter
4 cups milk

Boil macaroni about 5 minutes (still very firm), drain out water and set to the side.

Grate cheese

Melt 1/2 stick butter in sauce pan. When melted, add 4 cups milk and whisk in the 1/4 cup of flour. When this mixture heats up, use wire whisk to stir in the grated cheese until the cheese is totally melted and you have a thick sauce. Stir this sauce in with the macaroni noodles and mix well. Pour into a large casserole dish and bake at 350 for 40 minuutes (until top just begins to brown).

This is my mothers recipe and it is the best M & C in the world!

DCSO0322
03-20-2006, 23:18
STORMTROOPER:

1/3 OZ. JAGERMEISTER
1/3 OZ. GOLDSCHLAGER
1/3 OZ. RUMPLEMINTZ

MIX TOGETHER AND TAKE A SHOT. WOOHOO

Started in a local sports bar in my area.

scratchy wilson
03-21-2006, 01:45
1/3 Wild Turkey
1/3 Ginger Brandy
1/3 Scotch

Memory fails as to how this was concocted, but I do recall it taking me from a pleasant buzz to something approaching simulated sobriety.

I was displeased.

Anyhow, it sort of became something of a dare.

MB-G26
03-21-2006, 01:53
Seems rather sacrilegious to put anything with scotch other than water, or perhaps plain soda ^8

Historian
03-21-2006, 07:03
I admit it's not mine alone. :) But i love Emeril's cooking.

Warning: Before making have cardiologist on standby.

Four Cheese Spinach Lasagna

1 (20-ounce) package fresh spinach, tough stems removed and washed
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup minced shallots
2 teaspoons minced garlic
3/4 pound portobello mushrooms, stems removed and sliced (about 3 large)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups whole milk
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 1/2 cups grated Parmesan
15 ounces fresh ricotta
1 1/2 cups grated Fontina or provolone
1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella
1 pound lasagna noodles, cooked to al dente

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spinach and cook for 2 minutes. Drain in a fine mesh strainer, pressing with a large spoon to release as much water as possible. Finely chop and set aside.
In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms, 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt and black pepper, and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are tender and have given off their liquid, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.

To make the bechamel sauce, in a large saucepan, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, to make a light roux, about 2 minutes. Whisking constantly, slowly add the milk and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, the nutmeg, and 1 cup of the Parmesan and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.

In a bowl, combine the ricotta, fontina, and mozzarella cheeses. Fold in 1/4 cup of the bechamel sauce.

Across the bottom of a deep-dish lasagna pan (13 by 9-inches), spoon enough bechamel sauce to cover (about 1/2 cup). Then add 1/4 of the mushrooms and sprinkle 1/4 of the spinach across. Arrange a layer of cooked noodles side-by-side across the sauce. Spread another layer of bechamel over the noodles and top with more spinach, mushrooms, and cheese. Repeat layering with sauce, noodles, spinach, and cheese 2 more times, ending with noodles on top. Sprinkle the remaining 1 1/2 cups of Parmesan over the top, cover tightly with aluminum foil, and bake until the noodles are tender and the lasagna is hot and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until golden brown on top, about 10 minutes.

Let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Serve hot.

vote Republican
03-21-2006, 09:16
Sharon can post up a better version probably but...

make some cous-cous (plain)
cut chicken breast into mcnugget sized or slightly larger pieces, cook in a pan
stir in creamed corn, garlic powder, cheddar cheese, heat until cheese is melted.
Pour over cous cous

^7

Hauptmann6
03-21-2006, 09:24
Stir fry sauce (sorta teriaki)

1/3rd Rice wine AKA Saki
1/3rd Water
1/3rd Good soy sauce (not kikkoman, go to your local asian market)

Salt
Pepper
brown sugar(really heavy pinch depending on how much you are making)

To use as a marinade,
finely chop about 1/2" of ginger
1 smashed and chopped clove of garlic
Add a little oil(maybe a tablespoon at most)

To use as a sauce(put in stirfry)
Cornstarch to thicken
Go a little heavier on the sugar.

Sorry I can't give more accurate amounts, I do it all by eye.

OXCOPS
03-21-2006, 10:30
Stir Jell-o pudding mix into 2 cups of COLD milk.

Mix well.

Put in fridge for 10 minutes.

Remove and eat......PUDDING! ;f;f;f

OXCOPS
03-21-2006, 10:30
Pour Count Chocula cereal into bowl.

Add milk.

Eat.

Live happy.

;f;f;f;f;f

Mrs.OX
03-21-2006, 11:13
Kahlua Cake

1 box chocolate cake mix
2 boxes of instant chocolate pudding (mixed and set)
1 tub cool whip
1 cup of Kahlua
1 package of Heath bar bits

Bake cake as directed. Once cooked punch holes in it with a fork. Pour the cup of Kahlua of the cake and let it sit for a few minutes. Take half the cake and crumble into large dish or bowl. Layer with pudding, cool whip, and Heath bar bits. Repeat the process again.
I usually keep it chilled until ready to serve. Delicious.
The amount of Kahlua can be a bit strong; you can always use less if you want. It serves a bunch of people!

Patricia
03-21-2006, 11:19
Is there anyone here that does NOT have my meatball recipe? ;f

Hauptmann6
03-21-2006, 11:22
Me!

B. Somm
03-21-2006, 12:47
Originally posted by DepChief
(snip recipe)

This is my mothers recipe and it is the best M & C in the world!

DepChief, that sounds heavenly! I just may have to give that a try!!

B. ^7

Bullman
03-21-2006, 18:03
My favorite cassarole when I was a kid, I loved it so much that I learned how to make it. The cassarole dish I use is 9 inch diameter and 3 1/2 inches deep and that is probably what would work the best, never tried using anything else (yes, I stole the dish my mom made it in when I was a kid;f ) It is called Chop Suey Rice

1 pound of hamburger
3/4 cup of rice
4 to 5 stalks of celery, chopped
1 medium sized onion, chopped
1 box of fresh sliced mushrooms
1 envelope of Liptons chicken noodle soup mix.

Brown the hamburger, onion, celery, mushrooms and rice together over medium to medium high heat. Salt and pepper it to taste, I use Jess Halls Serendipity season salt (cant be had in the stores here in the east, but can be found on the internet, good stuff) When you about have it browned / cooked get a pan with 4 cups of water and heat it to boil. Once the water is boiling at the envelope of Liptons chicken noodle mix and let it boil for 4 minutes then remove it from the heat. Combine the ingredients from the frying pan and the soup into the cassarole dish and bake it in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes

It is so good it will make your babies be born naked and your teeth will swap holes.;f

gruntmedik
03-21-2006, 19:26
Originally posted by Patricia
Is there anyone here that does NOT have my meatball recipe? ;f

I ain't got it;P

Bullman
03-21-2006, 20:14
Kevin's Sip and Go Nekid

Take a 6 ounce can of frozen pink lemonade concentrate.
pour contents into a blender.
fill the lemonade can up with your favorite vodka.
pour it in the blender too.
put a bunch of ice in the blender, slush the far out of it.
Top it off with a citrus type drink like Zima and give it a final twirl in the blender.

1 blender will make you feel fine
2 blenders full will make you forget your troubles
3 blenders full will make you forget your name.;f

gruntmedik
03-22-2006, 11:53
Baked Apple Porkchops

4-6 Butterflied pork chops
1 or 2 Granny Smith Apples
1 1/2 cups Bread crumbs
1 cup parmesean cheese
2 12oz brews of your choice

Open 1 brew, start consuming at a leisurely pace. Pre-heat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 baking dish (use whatever size you have), and set aside. Mix bread crumbs and parmesean cheese together, then divide in half. Use 1/2 of the crumb mixture to coat the chops, using the remainder of that 1/2 to line the baking dish. Place chops in dish. Slice the apples 1/4-1/2" thick, and layer them on top of the chops. Take remainder of crumbs and pour on top.

Cover, and bake at 350 for 30-35 min. Enjoy 2nd brew. Uncover, and bake 10 min, or until browned on top.

Bullman
03-22-2006, 17:28
Originally posted by gruntmedik
Baked Apple Porkchops

4-6 Butterflied pork chops
1 or 2 Granny Smith Apples
1 1/2 cups Bread crumbs
1 cup parmesean cheese
2 12oz brews of your choice

Open 1 brew, start consuming at a leisurely pace. Pre-heat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 baking dish (use whatever size you have), and set aside. Mix bread crumbs and parmesean cheese together, then divide in half. Use 1/2 of the crumb mixture to coat the chops, using the remainder of that 1/2 to line the baking dish. Place chops in dish. Slice the apples 1/4-1/2" thick, and layer them on top of the chops. Take remainder of crumbs and pour on top.

Cover, and bake at 350 for 30-35 min. Enjoy 2nd brew. Uncover, and bake 10 min, or until browned on top.

where did the other beer get used in the recipe?

OXCOPS
03-22-2006, 17:30
Originally posted by Bullman
where did the other beer get used in the recipe?

I'm going ot step out on a limb here and guess it's in the last line where it says,"Enjoy 2nd brew." Call it a hunch. :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin:

Bullman
03-22-2006, 17:43
Originally posted by OXCOPS
I'm going ot step out on a limb here and guess it's in the last line where it says,"Enjoy 2nd brew." Call it a hunch. :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin:

Sounds good to me:supergrin:

Patricia
03-23-2006, 13:21
Mmm, some really great recipes here! Chiefy, I am gonna make your mac and cheese very soon.

I will post the meatball recipe and a few others when I get a minute. :)

gruntmedik
03-23-2006, 18:09
Originally posted by OXCOPS

OX, you sure you're not a detective?:supergrin: :supergrin:

rnchick
03-24-2006, 12:13
Ingrediants: 1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup raspberry jam
3 ounces cream cheese (softened)
2 TBS milk
1 cup white chocolate chips
2 squares (1 ounce) semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 TBS shortening

Directions:
1. preheat oven to 375F

2. Put flour into a measuring cup & level off. In a bowel, combine flower and confectioner's sugar.

3. Cut in butter with a fork and mix well. Press mixture into a 9 inch square pan.

4. Bake crust at 375 F for5 15-17 minutes until lightly brown.

5. Make filling: spread jam evenly over baked crust. In a small bowl beat cream cheese and milk until smooth. Melth white chocolate chips over low heat and add to cream cheese mixture. Drop mixture by teaspoons evenly over jam. Spread carefully and refridgerate.

6. To make Glaze: cut chocolate squares into small pieces and melt with shortening over low heat, stirring constantly. Spread over white chocolate layer. Cut into bars and store in refridgerator.

Mrs. VR
03-24-2006, 12:24
:shocked: now WHITE chocolate, I could probably get into!

rnchick
03-24-2006, 12:41
it's delicious...

Walter45Auto
03-24-2006, 19:12
She's right Sharon. It's Delicious.

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal:

Mrs.OX
03-25-2006, 00:00
Not a huge fan of raspberries, could I substitute strawberry jam instead?

Wulfenite
03-25-2006, 11:37
Hummus

Drain and save the liquid from 1, 15-oz can of garbanzo beans. Dump the beans into the food processor. Toss in a couple garlic cloves, 2 TABLEspoons of lemon juice, 2 TABLEspoons of olive oil, 2 TEAspoons of salt, 1 TEAspoon cumin, pinch of pepper, and 1 ½ TABLEspoons of sesame tahini. Puree and add back some of the reserved can liquid if you need to to get the consistency where you want it.

Mrs. VR
03-25-2006, 16:01
Originally posted by Mrs.OX
Not a huge fan of raspberries, could I substitute strawberry jam instead? that sounds good too! :drool:

rnchick
03-25-2006, 16:30
Originally posted by Mrs.OX
Not a huge fan of raspberries, could I substitute strawberry jam instead?

yep - you sure could...it would be good

HarlDane
03-25-2006, 23:39
Strawberry Banana Bread

1 stick of butter
3/4 cup of sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 bananas
8 med/large strawberries
1 tbl. milk
Vanilla
Cinnamon
2 cups flour
1 tea. baking powder
1 tea. baking soda

Cream butter a sugar
add eggs one at a time
mash strawberries, bananas, cinnamon, and milk
add fruit mix to sugar/butter
add dry ingredients
bake in a bread pan at 325 for 60-70 min

Bill Powell
03-27-2006, 06:59
ROAD KILL SANDWICH PATTIES, possum cold cuts

Drive around til you find a recently deceased possum about one half inch thick. Take a propane torch and singe all the hair off. Bake in 100 degree oven for about two and a half minutes. After refrigerating use scissors to cut cold possum into hamburger bun sized square patties. Hence the name.

Since they get a little chewy when they're too thick, if it's more than about half an inch, run your car back and forth over it til it's about the right thickness.

OXCOPS
03-27-2006, 11:10
OX, you sure you're not a detective?:supergrin: :supergrin:

Call it a gift. :supergrin:

Patricia
03-28-2006, 18:49
Meatballs

2 lbs ground beef

4 eggs, beaten

1 cup bread crumbs

1 cup grated parmesan cheese

1 cup milk

1 tablespoon Italian seasoning

1 tsp garlic powder (I use the course grind kind)

1 tablespoon salt

Mix together and form balls. Place on cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. I always follow that up by cooking my spaghetti sauce for a couple of hours, but you don't have to.

Patricia
03-28-2006, 18:53
Sour Cream Cheese Enchiladas

2 packages flour tortillas

2 cans cream of chicken soup

2 small cans diced green chilies

2 lbs shredded cheese (can be longhorn, cheddar, monterey jack, or a combo)

1 pint sour cream

Mix, soup, chilies, sour cream, and half of cheeses. Fill each tortilla with *about* 3 Tbsp of filling. Place filled tortillas in baking pan sprayed with non-stick spray and cover with the rest of the cheeses. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.

Patricia
03-28-2006, 19:00
Peanut Butter Cookies (for Mel, since she asked)

2 1/2 cups flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

1 cup butter

1 cup peanut butter

1 cup sugar

1 cup packed brown sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. In mixer, beat butter and peanut butter together till smooth. Beat in sugars till well blended, then add eggs and vanilla. Add dry ingredients 1/3 at a time, until well blended. Refrigerate for one hour. Roll dough into balls and place about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten with fork, and bake at 350 for about 12 minutes.

Mel, a few tips for ya. First of all, if you are making these up here in Flag, you will have to adjust the recipe for high altitude. I have a forumla that I can post or email you for that. Always use real butter. Baker's Secret makes "bakers sugar" that is a bit finer and works well in cookies. Use a good name brand peanut butter. I use Jiff (yep, choosey mothers ;)). Also never skimp on the vanilla, use the best you can.

MB-G26
03-28-2006, 19:17
First of all, if you are making these up here in Flag, you will have to adjust the recipe for high altitude. I have a forumla that I can post or email you for that. Always use real butter. Baker's Secret makes "bakers sugar" that is a bit finer and works well in cookies. Use a good name brand peanut butter. I use Jiff (yep, choosey mothers ). Also never skimp on the vanilla, use the best you can.

Pllleeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! Plse do whenever you get the chance. Face it, if I made peanutbutter & chocolate chip cookies down here in Dust Bowl Hell - and they came out too flat, one shudders to think the unsuccessful mess I'd create trying to make ANYthing baking-wise w/the altitude factor involved
:upeyes:

hile
03-29-2006, 10:39
Patricia,

Thanks for the meatball recipe.

Here's the pot roast I made this past weekend:

1 2-3 pound roast (I used a ribeye roast
1 onion
a few celery stalks
1 8 oz can of beef broth
about 2 pounds of baby carrots (peeled)
1 bag of peas
2 pints of sliced baby portabella mushrooms

Place the carrots in the bottom of the crock pot. (They should go at the bottom because they take the longest to cook.)

Chop the onion and celery and sautee them until translucent in olive oil, then place them in the crock pot. Place the roast in the skillet used to saute the veggies and sear it until it has a nice colour on all sides. Then put it in the crock pot. Dump the rest of the veggies over the roast and pour the broth over the top.

Cook on high for four hours or low for eight.

Patricia
03-29-2006, 13:13
Crock Pot Chili

2 lbs lean ground beef (I'm using some venison next time)

1 can black beans

1 can pinto beans

1 can diced tomatoes

1 packet chili seasoning

Throw it all in (if the meat is pretty lean you don't have to brow and drain first) and cook on low at least 10 hours (or remember that 1 hour on high = two hours on low)

I serve it topped with a bit of cheddar cheese and make the Marie Calendar cornbread mix to go with it.

Patricia
03-29-2006, 13:21
Bacon Potato Corn Chowder (you can adapt this for the crock pot, just throw it all in and cook for 10 hours on low)

8 pieces of thick sliced bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces

16 oz package frozen corn

1 cup sour cream

1 1/4 cups milk

1 can cream of chicken soup

About 6 red potatoes, diced

Small can of green chilies (optional)

Cook bacon until crisp, and potatoes and cook until fork tender. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for about an hour.

I usually do the crock pot version since I am short on time, and sometimes don't even cook the bacon first.

Mrs. VR
03-29-2006, 14:15
oh that sounds GOOOD :drool:

Eagles1181
03-29-2006, 18:29
Originally posted by Bill Powell

Drive around til you find a recently deceased possum about one half inch thick. Take a propane torch and singe all the hair off. Bake in 100 degree oven for about two and a half minutes. After refrigerating use scissors to cut cold possum into hamburger bun sized square patties. Hence the name.

Since they get a little chewy when they're too thick, if it's more than about half an inch, run your car back and forth over it til it's about the right thickness.

Could I substitute the 'dillo I hit the other night. Dumb animals. He went between my tires I thought he would be OK, then I here him hit near the back. Must have jumped into my spare tire or something. DUMB ANIMALS!!!

Eagle

Wulfenite
03-29-2006, 22:00
Just saw a great recipe on the Food Network. Twinkie Tiramisu!

I'll report back when I've tried it....tomorow perhaps. I think it fate cause just yesterday I saw the Twinkies were on sale and I bought a box for the boys lunches.

Bullman
03-30-2006, 07:40
Originally posted by Eagles1181
Could I substitute the 'dillo I hit the other night. Dumb animals. He went between my tires I thought he would be OK, then I here him hit near the back. Must have jumped into my spare tire or something. DUMB ANIMALS!!!

Eagle

Hmmmmm, I guess I could have served up some pounded deer cutlets from my little fiasco of yesterday, but, I was never really that fond of road kill.

Patricia
04-01-2006, 09:56
Originally posted by Wulfenite
Just saw a great recipe on the Food Network. Twinkie Tiramisu!

I'll report back when I've tried it....tomorow perhaps. I think it fate cause just yesterday I saw the Twinkies were on sale and I bought a box for the boys lunches.

You tried it yet??? Inquiring minds. :eat:

Mrs. VR
04-01-2006, 16:27
You tried it yet??? Inquiring minds. :eat: since he's taking his sweet time answering...he told me it was really good :)

Bullman
04-01-2006, 17:23
Speaking of twinkies, I was at a craft show once where they were doing the deep fried twinkies. I guess they freeze the twinkie, dip it in some sort of batter then deep fry it. I was out of dough so I didn't try it, but I have heard they were outstanding. The also deep fry snickers bars too.

Walter45Auto
04-01-2006, 17:37
......The also deep fry snickers bars too.

And Oreos, and cheesecake, at our state fair. The fried cheesecake is awesome fried!!! Oh, and I had fried Ice Cream once, and It was pretty good, too.

Wulfenite
04-01-2006, 17:52
You tried it yet??? Inquiring minds. :eat:

Oh heck yeah. It was great. I posted about it in the FOOD forum. Here's a link to the recipe... http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_33273,00.html
The only tweeks to the recipe I'd suggest would be to cut back on the espresso quantity a little....if you use the suggested ammount they twinkies will be soaked and will totally disinegrate...it would be nice if they maintained a little more of their original consistency. You want to get them mostly colored without drenching them. Also, make sure you dont whip the cream too stiff or it will tend to tear up the twinkines while you try to spread it since, of course, the twinkies are pretty friggin sopping with espresso.

So I saw this on the Food network the other day and I had tivo save the episode..... the next day I made it up in the afternoon.....than night my wife is watching tv and started the episode I had saved. So its desert time, I've got this resting in the fridge, she's watching they guy make this, she says "wow, that sounds great", I'm IM'ing Sharon and I say "she just said "wow, that sounds great"", then I go and whip it out and she's like "WTH!!". Pretty good stuff.

Mrs. VR
04-01-2006, 20:26
O then I go and whip it out and she's like "WTH!!". Pretty good stuff. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl: sorry! :rofl:

Bill Powell
04-01-2006, 22:22
The 'dillo would be just as good, and you wouldn't have so much hair to singe off. Plus, those shell sections would make good chips for frog egg dip.

Since they're both throw-backs to another time they would be about the same, nutritionally. The one advantage of the possum is that it has that little change purse built into its belly.

Patricia
04-03-2006, 08:16
Oh heck yeah. It was great. I posted about it in the FOOD forum. Here's a link to the recipe... http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_33273,00.html
The only tweeks to the recipe I'd suggest would be to cut back on the espresso quantity a little....if you use the suggested ammount they twinkies will be soaked and will totally disinegrate...it would be nice if they maintained a little more of their original consistency. You want to get them mostly colored without drenching them. Also, make sure you dont whip the cream too stiff or it will tend to tear up the twinkines while you try to spread it since, of course, the twinkies are pretty friggin sopping with espresso.

So I saw this on the Food network the other day and I had tivo save the episode..... the next day I made it up in the afternoon.....than night my wife is watching tv and started the episode I had saved. So its desert time, I've got this resting in the fridge, she's watching they guy make this, she says "wow, that sounds great", I'm IM'ing Sharon and I say "she just said "wow, that sounds great"", then I go and whip it out and she's like "WTH!!". Pretty good stuff.

:supergrin: Thanks, I am gonna try it!!

Wulfenite
04-03-2006, 10:24
:supergrin: Thanks, I am gonna try it!!

Any excuse to buy the big box of twinkies right?

Patricia
04-03-2006, 14:31
Any excuse to buy the big box of twinkies right?

Very yes, and of course I have to sample them to be sure they aren't poisonous or anything. Just doin' my part. :supergrin:

Wulfenite
04-04-2006, 16:56
<-----Has new big box of twinkies....King Kong twinkies even. But I think I'm doing Bannanas Foster tonight.

Munchkinglocker
04-05-2006, 03:11
mix 2 bags betty croker chocolate chip cookies per package directions.

spread as evenly as possible on bottom of buttered baking dish(9x13).

mix 1 box betty crocker brownies per package directions.

pour brownie mix on top of cookie mix, and spread evenly as possible.

*bake at appx. 350-375 for appx. 20-30min.

*time and temp for baking is still in the experimental faze.

this will cure any chocolate craving!!

Bullman
04-05-2006, 05:22
:homer: mmmmmmmmmmmmmm chocolate

c-mama
04-05-2006, 14:49
Meatballs

2 lbs ground beef

4 eggs, beaten

1 cup bread crumbs

1 cup grated parmesan cheese

1 cup milk

1 tablespoon Italian seasoning

1 tsp garlic powder (I use the course grind kind)

1 tablespoon salt

Mix together and form balls. Place on cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. I always follow that up by cooking my spaghetti sauce for a couple of hours, but you don't have to.
:bump: so I can bookmark this post. :supergrin:

cashisking
04-05-2006, 17:11
Originally posted by crochetmama
:bump: so I can bookmark this post. :supergrin:

Why do you want to bookmark a sticky post???

sounds messy!!;)

but now I have a black dot, just incase it isn't sticky anymore!

Bullman
04-06-2006, 05:50
Originally posted by cashisking

sounds messy!!;)

but now I have a black dot, just incase it isn't sticky anymore!

If you bookmark it, then when the next great recipe gets posted, you get e mail notification so you can check it out, and maybe try something new for supper:supergrin:

c-mama
04-06-2006, 06:53
Originally posted by cashisking

sounds messy!!;)

but now I have a black dot, just incase it isn't sticky anymore! Well, I bookmarked my post. I'm expecting this thread to get good and long and when I want to make the meatballs, I don't want to have to wade through pages and pages just to find the recipe.

:tease:

proshooter
04-06-2006, 07:12
This is the best salsa I have ever tasted. I got it off of a cooking show on PBS a while back.

2 cups toamtoes (diced)
1 cup chopped onion
couple of "branches" of fresh cilantro (finely chopped)
1 Tbsp Lemon juice
1 fresh jalepeno pepper
2 cloves garlic
3 Tbsp Ketchup (give or take)

Combine diced tomatoes, chopped onion, cilantro and lemon juice in a dish. (I sometimes place half of the tomatoes in a blender so that the salsa is not as chunky) Take the jalepeno pepper and cut it into four parts length-wise. Remove all of the seeds, and cut one strip in half (so it is one-eighth). Chop the 1/8 pepper VERY FINE, and add it to the dish. Crush the garlic just enough to remove the skin, then chop the garlic. Add it to the dish. Add Ketchup to increase thickness of salsa.

If you like it really hot, you can try adding more jalepeno pepper, or even get some habanero pepper.

Note: You may want to wear rubber gloves when handling the jalepeno pepper. The juice does not wash off your hands. Everything you touch will BURN LIKE FIRE! I had a rather unpleasant experience going to the bathroom after making this recipe. It still brings back painful memories.

proshooter
04-06-2006, 07:26
I have always enjoyed Steak - N - Shake chili. I get a bowl of it every time I go there. I got a copy-cat recipe off the internet some years ago. The actual recipe is a well guarded secret, but this tastes just like the real thing!

1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 tsp. salt
10 oz. can of French Onion soup
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp pepper
20 oz. - 22 oz. can of Chili Hot beans in chili gravy
6 oz. can tomato paste
8 oz. can tomato sauce
2 tsp Hershey's Cocoa Powder
10 oz. Coca-Cola (not diet)

Brown the ground beef and crumble it. The key is to have pretty good sized pieces of meat. Place ground beef and all other ingredients in a crock pot, and mix well. Be careful to only use 10 oz. of Coke. The cans are actually 12 oz. and if you use the whole can, it will be too sweet. Cover the crock pot, and heat on High for about 2-3 hours.

Can be served with chopped onions, cheese and Fritos if desired.

kcb
04-08-2006, 18:48
Originally posted by proshooter
I have always enjoyed Steak - N - Shake chili. I get a bowl of it every time I go there. I got a copy-cat recipe off the internet some years ago. The actual recipe is a well guarded secret, but this tastes just like the real thing!

2 tsp Hershey's Cocoa Powder
10 oz. Coca-Cola (not diet)

Can be served with chopped onions, cheese and Fritos if desired.

Speaking of Restaurant Chili's and "secret ingredient's", my sister's husband grew up in Cincinnati,Ohio. He took me and my sister back there, after they married, before I married, and took us to "Skyline Chili". Their Chili is delicious. They have 3-way, 4-way, etc. His favorite that he taught us is over spaghetti, with cheddar cheese and onion.

For years, he tried to recreate their recipe and just about did...finding "Chocolate" to be a secret of their recipe too.

If you have Publix Grocery Stores in your area, they have it in their Entre Frozen Section. You can PM me, if you find it and want to know how to serve it! We have introduced it to just about all of our friends and it is always a favorite food at our home, and a favorite memory!

kcb
04-08-2006, 18:58

:puking:

AND my husband wants me to copy this and e-mail it to him!

I am going to...STOP letting cook so much at night!

:supergrin:

Eagles1181
04-11-2006, 09:33
http://www.scubaribbea.com/roadkill_cafe_menu_specials.jpg

:eagle:

Bill Powell
04-13-2006, 05:53
This morning I find myself a little hongry around the mouth, so I will try a meal presented by brother Dave many years ago.

I'm gonna have me some Kosher charcoal broiled sows ears, some stewed tomater sandwiches (so you gotta lift and eat fast lest it fall through the crust), some RC colas, some moon pies, and some after dinner lippin' and spittin' snuff.

JByer323
04-13-2006, 06:38
Beer Can Chicken

First off, you need one of these (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001NGHAS/102-0636599-6189714?v=glance&n=284507) and a drip pan if doing it in the oven.

Ingredients

One medium sized chicken
A can of beer, your choice of brand, not a tall boy
Your choice of rub (I'll post my recipe soon) or
Your choice of injectable marinade
Small onion or potato
Various spices and seasonings that suit your tastes. I like a clove or two of garlic, some Mrs. Dash, a tad of chopped ginger, Liquid Smoke, and whatever else looks good at the time.

The Directions
There are two ways to do this, either on the grill, or in the oven. I'm going to go on a limb and assume you all know how to bake a chicken in the oven, and the times and temp isn't any different on this. The grill is more difficult. Heat is important, as is time. There's a real art to it, and I'm just getting good at baking stuff over a grill.

Anyway, the prep. Clean and trim your chicken. Most chickens I've gotten recently they have neglected to cut the neck off. Use kitchen shears to trim that bad boy off. Once your chickie is looking good, set him aside.

Take your can of beer. Open it. Drink half of it. Don't drink more if it. Seriously. Might as well get an extra one for you too. Right now, check out the link to that rack I posted. I got mine at Gander Mountain, but Wally World sells them too. Our family has four of them, two singles, and a double. The beer can goes in the rack, and the chicken goes down over the beer.

Before you put the chicken over the beer though, add your spices and such to the beer. Your garlic, liquid smoke, cajun spices, whatever flavor you like. This is what makes it fun. Experiment. You can't mess it up.

Now slide the chicken over the beer can. He may not like a can of beer going up his ass, but it's got to go all the way in. Don't force it, just ease it in. God that sounded wrong. Now plug that bad boy's neck up with your onion or potato. You may have to cut down the potato, and peel off layers of onion. I prefer onion for the flavor. This traps in the moisture from the beer.

Add your rub, or inject your marinade. No real reason to use an injector with this method of cooking, but if you're a fanatic, go for it I guess.

Make sure the chicken is in a drip pan, and arranged all prettily. Legs and wings in good positions, etc. Isn't he cute? Slap that bad boy in the oven.

Now, when you pull him out, you're going to have a treat. The skin will be nice and crisp, but the chicken will be moist as can be. Remove the chicken from the rack carefully, without pouring hot beer on yourself. I find it helps if you Pam the rack before the chicken goes on.

Carve him up.

The Notes
Anything in a can could be used for this. I've used Classic Coke before, which I really liked. Sprite makes a more tropical meal, which goes really well with grilled smoke sausage and pineapple.

I'm in the process of making up some smaller racks for rock cornish game hens as well, to use with the small cans of fruit juice/nectar.

I do apologize for the long post, but this one is different. Try it, and I promise you'll love it. It's the best chicken you have ever had, and even if you don't like chicken, you'll like this. Big family? Do several. A canjun flavored, a BBQ flavored, etc. Most I've done at a time was six.

If you really enjoy grilling, these four books are great. I've used and abused them, and always find more stuff to try in them. I know Gander Mountain has them.

The Barbecue! Bible (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1563058669/102-0636599-6189714?n=283155)
BBQ USA: 425 Fiery Recipes from All Across America (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0761120157/102-0636599-6189714?n=283155)
Beer-Can Chicken: And 74 Other Offbeat Recipes for the Grill (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0761120165/102-0636599-6189714?n=283155)
Barbecue! Bible: Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters, and Glazes (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0761119795/102-0636599-6189714?n=283155)

MB-G26
04-20-2006, 04:39
:homer: mmmmmmmmmmmmmm chocolate

http://michellewillingham.com/blog/wp-includes/images/smilies/chocolate.gif
http://michellewillingham.com/blog/wp-includes/images/smilies/hungry.gif

:supergrin:

Walter45Auto
04-20-2006, 18:09
Originally posted by JByer323
Beer Can Chicken

First off, you need one of these (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001NGHAS/102-0636599-6189714?v=glance&n=284507) and a drip pan if doing it in the oven.

The Barbecue! Bible (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1563058669/102-0636599-6189714?n=283155)
BBQ USA: 425 Fiery Recipes from All Across America (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0761120157/102-0636599-6189714?n=283155)
Beer-Can Chicken: And 74 Other Offbeat Recipes for the Grill (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0761120165/102-0636599-6189714?n=283155)
Barbecue! Bible: Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters, and Glazes (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0761119795/102-0636599-6189714?n=283155)

My Uncle's always called it Drunk Chicken. He's done it using Diet Dr. Pepper once or twice, too.

Santa CruZin
04-30-2006, 09:28
Korean Beef Short Ribs (aka crack on crack on crack)

4 pounds beef short ribs, cross-cut less than 1/2" thick.
2 cups soy sauce (preferably Tamari)
1 1/2 - 2 cups sake
8 Tbsp sesame oil
8 full shallots, sliced thin
1/2 - 3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup wildflower honey
2 tsp ground cayenne
10 garlic cloves, finely chopped or crushed
8 tsp chopped fresh ginger
1 1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds

Combine everything but the ribs, mix well (I'll sometimes nuke it for a couple minutes just to get the sugar and honey to dissolve fully, but don't get it too hot 'cause you don't want it to cook the meat while marinading).

Marinade ribs in solution for 3 or 4 hours.

Cook ribs on HOT (450-500F) grill for 2-3 minutes per side. The sugar in the marinade will start a grill fire, so be ready for it. You want to caramelize the sugar slightly, and keeping the meat in the flames will help this, but pay attention because things happen fast. Do NOT walk away from the grill while cooking this stuff! It takes a bit of a touch to get this right, so try it a few times and tweak the marinade to your liking.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/tomboedett/11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/tomboedett/8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/tomboedett/5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/tomboedett/6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/tomboedett/1.jpg

Patricia
05-01-2006, 10:41
That does sound yummy. :eat:

Did I read right - TWENTY CLOVES OF GARLIC?! :shocked:

Patricia
05-01-2006, 10:43
Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes (from Rachel Ray's cookbook)

1 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 ounces, 1/4 cup, chopped walnuts
3/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup whole milk
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 really ripe bananas, mashed up
3/4 cup raisins
1/2 stick butter, 1/4 cup, melted, plus additional for buttering skillet
Maple syrup or honey, for drizzling

Here’s a great tip: if you cannot find really ripe bananas, just nuke them in the microwave for about 15 seconds and they will become super soft for mashing.

Mix dry ingredients, the first 7, in a bowl. In a another bowl, mix the wet ingredients, the next 4. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined, then fold in the mashed up bananas and the raisins. Stir in the melted butter.

Heat a griddle over medium heat and brush with additional melted butter. Cook pancakes, each about 1/3 cup, until bubbles form on the top, then turn. Cakes will cook in about 2 minutes on each side. Keep pancakes tented with foil as they come off the griddle to keep them hot. Serve with drizzled honey or maple syrup over the top.

Patricia
05-01-2006, 10:47
Crunchy French Toast (also from Rachel Ray's cookbook)

8 large eggs
1 cup half-and-half
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 pinches salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground or freshly grated
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 cups corn flakes, lightly crushed
1/2 cup sliced almonds, lightly crushed
4 tablespoons butter
12 (1 1/2-inch-thick) slices challah bread or soft "Italian" style bread

n a shallow dish, beat together with a wire whisk: eggs, half-and-half, vanilla, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon. In a second shallow dish combine flakes and nuts. Add 2 tablespoons butter to warm skillet. Place a cookie sheet lined with foil (for easy clean-up) near the stove. Coat 4 to 6 slices of bread in egg, depending on the size of your skillet, then coat bread in cornflakes and nuts. Cook slices 2 minutes on each side and transfer toast to cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining slices and transfer toast to oven. Bake 10 minutes in 350 oven.

Patricia
05-01-2006, 11:00
Apple Crisp (from the Barefoot Contessa)

I changed her wording around a bit though.

I will tell you that I think her prep time estimate of 20 minutes is WRONG WRONG WRONG. It took me a heck of a lot longer to peel core and cut that many apples. SO worth it though. And you gotta serve it warm with vanilla ice cream. :supergrin:

5 lbs apples (she says McIntosh, but I used Gala cause they were on sale, and didn't notice a difference)

grated zest of 1 lemon

grated zest of 1 orange

2 tablespoons fresh orange juice

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1/2 cup sugar

2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 teaspoon nutmeg

Topping:

1 1/2 cups flour

3/4 cup sugar

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup oatmeal

1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, diced

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 13x9 baking dish.

Peel, core, and cut apples into large chunks. (you might be cursing me after you get all that done, but trust me, it is worth it). Combine apples with the zests, juices, 1/2 cup sugar, and spices. Pour into dish (and make sure you sample a piece of apple first :supergrin: )

For the topping, combine flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal, and butter. (She says to use the paddle attachment of your mixer. I don't have that, so I just pressed with a fork until I got the pieces "pea" sized). Spead over apples.

Place on a baking sheet covered with foil (unless you really LIKE cleaning your oven). Bake 1 hour or until top is brown. (Since everything cooks slower at my altitude, and I don't like the apples crunchy, I always poke one with a fork, and yes, sneak a taste, to be sure they are done)

Santa CruZin
05-01-2006, 11:47
That does sound yummy. :eat:

Did I read right - TWENTY CLOVES OF GARLIC?! :shocked:

You read that right. :supergrin:

Five cloves per pound. :beer:

proguncali
05-07-2006, 10:57
This is the crack to rule all crack recipe. If you try to argue with me, I will come to where you are and punch you in the neck. :supergrin:

Preheat oven to 35Q0
Butter and flour a l2”x l8”x 1”pan.
Melt over simmering water:
1 lb. butter
1 lb. semi-sweet chocolate
6 oz. unsweetened chocolate
Stir, do not beat:
6 eggs
3 T. instant esspresso (Medaglia d’Oro)
2 T. vanilla
2 ½ c. sugar
Stir chocolate mixture into egg mixture, Let cool to room temperature.
Sift:
1 c. flour
1 T. baking powder
lt.salt
Mix into chocolate mixture.
Toss:
3 c. chopped walnuts
12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
¼ c. flour
Blend into chocolate mixture. Transfer to pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and rap on table to release air. Bake for another 15 minutes. Do not overbake! Makes 20 large brownies or 72 small ones.

Then to crack it up a little more....

Get a large piece while it's hot.
Put a large scoop of French Vanilla ice cream in it and a slathering of hot fudge on that.

Disclaimer: I will not be responsible for you eating the whole pan and having to buy all new clothes.

Santa CruZin
05-07-2006, 11:21
Hey Rees, that recipe SUCKS. Start driving.

-Eric in Madison, MS.

:supergrin::supergrin::supergrin:

Santa CruZin
05-07-2006, 11:55
Mushroom Lasagne

1 pound fresh spinach leaves, stemmed, washed, dried and chopped.
Salt and pepper
Olive oil
½ pound dry lasagne noodles
2.5 to 3 pounds mixed mushrooms; Cremini, shiitake, oyster, and portabellos. Don’t waste this recipe on common bulk, white mushrooms! I usually go with half creminis and mix up the rest with whatever interesting stuff I can find.
8-10 Tbsp real butter
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup flour
2 ¾ cup 2% milk
2 ¾ cup vegetable stock
Fresh ground nutmeg to taste
1-2 crushed garlic cloves
8 oz. Grated Gruyere Swiss Cheese (no substitutions – look around, you’ll find it)
1+ cup (to taste) fresh breadcrumbs. I rip up about 4 slices of wheat bread into coarse crumbs, and bake it on a sheet at 250F for 10 minutes.

Boil lasagne noodles with a dash of olive oil in large pot of lightly salted water per package directions. Once tender, drain lasagne noodles into colander and rinse with cold water to remove starch. Spread pasta out on clean dish towels and cover with damp dish towel until needed.

Quarter or slice the mushrooms. Melt half the butter in a large saucepan or wok, add the mushrooms and lemon juice, cover and cook over medium high heat for 5-7 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Use a slotted spoon to remove the mushrooms, then bubble the remaining juice to evaporate any moisture until there is only fat left in the saucepan.

Melt the remaining butter in the same saucepan. Carefully stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes or until combined, before slowly adding milk and stock. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until boiling and thickened (important). Mix in the nutmeg (maybe a teaspoon or two), garlic and spinach. Salt and pepper to taste.

Spoon a little of the sauce in a 3 quart ovenproof dish. Top with a layer of pasta followed by a layer of mushrooms. Spoon over more of the sauce, then continue layering the ingredients, finishing with the sauce, making sure it completely covers the ingredients underneath. Top with the grated gruyere cheese and breadcrumbs.

Stand the dish on a baking sheet or foil sheet, cook at 400 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour. If breadcrumbs start to get too dark towards the end of baking, loosely top dish with a sheet of foil.

proguncali
05-07-2006, 12:27
Originally posted by Santa CruZin
Hey Rees, that recipe SUCKS. Start driving.

-Eric in Madison, MS.

:supergrin::supergrin::supergrin:

:laughabove: :laughabove: :laughabove: :animlol: :animlol: :animlol: :animlol:

You trying to make a feller go broke.....Gas is $150/gal....

Patricia
05-07-2006, 17:10
Ok, that settles it, for my last meal on earth, I want Eric's mushroom lasanga followed by Reese's chocolate dessert thingie. :shocked: :shocked:

proguncali
05-07-2006, 17:28
Ok, that settles it, for my last meal on earth, I want Eric's mushroom lasanga followed by Reese's chocolate dessert thingie. :shocked: :shocked:

Not sure where this recipe from Reese is....but the one from Rees looks pretty good....:tongueout: :tongueout::wedgie: :pepper:

Actually, we have Kevbo to blame....That dirty rotten stinker!

Wulfenite
05-08-2006, 21:20

Is there something you're trying to tell us?

harlan
05-09-2006, 23:57
2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
1 cup diced honeydew melon
3 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 teaspoon grated lime peel
1 jalapeño pepper, minced
coarse salt to taste

Combine all ingredients except the salt. Season with salt to taste. Let stand one hour then refrigerate until serving time.

This is great on grilled salmon or talapia. Also good on chicken and pork chops. I've made it with olive oil instead of the peanut oil but the peanut oil gives it a better flavor imho.

Washington,D.C.
05-14-2006, 10:57
Pizza Dough:
16 ounces water
1/8-ounce yeast
1/2-ounce salt
2 pounds bread flour
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup cornmeal
Toppings:
2 cups tomato sauce, jar or homemade
2 cups shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup spinach, shredded
1/2 cup grated Romano
1/2 cup sliced pepperoni
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

In a mixer combine the water and the yeast and allow
the yeast to dissolve. Add the remaining ingredients
except for the cornmeal and begin to mix the dough
using a dough hook on low speed. Once a ball is formed
mix on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes until the dough
becomes elastic and smooth. Remove from the mixer and
place in a bowl coated with olive oil. Allow the dough
to rest for approximately 4 hours. Once the dough is
rested, place on flat surface and dust with some
flour.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a deep baking dish
or deep dish pizza pan, spread the dough using your
fingers at the bottom of the pan and make sure to have
enough dough to come up the sides of the pan
approximately 1/2-inch high.
Begin by placing a layer of the mozzarella cheese on
the bottom of the crust. Add the tomato sauce and all
of the toppings. Place in the oven for 30 to 40
minutes until golden and crispy.
Serve pizza straight from the oven to the table.

OEF_VET
05-15-2006, 22:29
White Chocolate - Raspberry Creme Brulee
Yield: 12 5oz portions

Ingredients:
12 egg yolks
6 oz granulated sugar
1 1/2 pints heavy cream
1 1/2 pints milk
8 oz white chocolate chips
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
fresh raspberries
Turbanado sugar

Procedure:
1) Mix together egg yolks and sugar until well combined.
2) Combine cream and milk and heat to scalding (~105 degrees, no higher). Add chocolate to scalded milk/cream, and stir to melt.
3) Gradually stir hot milk/cream/chocolate into egg yolks. Add vanilla and strain.
4) Crush a a small handful of raspberries using a fork, or puree with a blender, food processor, or burr mixer.
5) Set 12 shallow ramekins or gratin dishes, about 1 inch deep, in a baking pan.
6) Divide the custard evenly between the ramekins and add a small amount of pureed raspberries to each ramekin.
7) Pour enough water into the baking dish to come about half way up the outside of the ramekins.
8) Bake at 350 degrees until custard is just set, about 25 minutes.
9) Cool, then refrigerate.
10) At time of service, dab any moisture off the top of the custards. Then put a thin covering of turbanado sugar on top of each. Using a creme brulee torch, or your oven's broiler, carmelize the sugar quickly, so that the custard doesn't heat up too much. When it cools, the carmelized sugar will form a thin, hard crust.
11) Decorate with a dallop of whip cream and a few fresh raspberries. Serve as quickly as possible after carmelizing the sugar, as it will begin to soften over time.

Munchkinglocker
05-21-2006, 00:24
does anyone have a recipe for rhubarb pie, cobbler, or both?

my grandma made this and i miss it alot! thanks

Bullman
05-21-2006, 00:34
Let me see what I can scare up.

mhambi
05-30-2006, 10:06
My new favorite 'salsa'

Equal parts of:

sectioned/diced Grapefruit
diced Avocado

About 2/3 of the amount above of:

finely chopped onion (sweet is better, ie: Vidalia)

Healthy amount of cilantro
fresh squeezed lime juice (approx 1 lime per pint of finished product)
salt to taste.

that's it. Good stuff!

Norman
06-01-2006, 22:40
I want to say that I really, really hate this thread.

I want it all. :sad:

Bullman
06-02-2006, 05:21
Originally posted by Munchkinglocker
does anyone have a recipe for rhubarb pie, cobbler, or both?

my grandma made this and i miss it alot! thanks

Haven't located the recipe yet, however,,,,, I have been told that it takes a LOT of sugar to make a passable rhubarb pie.

Let you know if I do find one.

Munchkinglocker
06-06-2006, 22:30
thanks for looking bullman, and i do remeber grandma putting lots of sugar in the pie. i just don't remember how she made it.

SouthernGal
06-13-2006, 11:09
Macaroni & Cheese (good stuff)

8 oz uncooked macaroni
1 cup sour cream
2 cups small curd cottage cheese
2 cups shredded sharp cheese
1 beaten egg
salt & pepper to taste

Cook and drain macaroni. Mix in sour cream, cottage cheese, sharp cheese and beaten egg. Add Salt & pepper to taste. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

(I've used light sour cream and lowfat cottage cheese with no ill results after baking).

ATL Peach Girl
06-14-2006, 13:31
Originally posted by SouthernGal
Macaroni & Cheese (good stuff)

8 oz uncooked macaroni
1 cup sour cream
2 cups small curd cottage cheese
2 cups shredded sharp cheese
1 beaten egg
salt & pepper to taste

Cook and drain macaroni. Mix in sour cream, cottage cheese, sharp cheese and beaten egg. Add Salt & pepper to taste. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

(I've used light sour cream and lowfat cottage cheese with no ill results after baking).
Holy Moly R....!!!!!

1 cup of sour cream???? :shocked:

That is NOT on my diet (started Weight Watchers a week ago.....down 5.5 pounds this week!!)

I am here to tell you that in the south they do macaroni 'n cheese right.......this ain't no 25 cent boxed crap!!! heh!!

Bullman
06-14-2006, 16:10
Originally posted by ATL Peach Girl
I am here to tell you that in the south they do macaroni 'n cheese right.......this ain't no 25 cent boxed crap!!! heh!!

Here now, I have some very fond memories of Kraft mac and cheese:supergrin:

<------------- Makes his from scratch now.

SouthernGal
06-16-2006, 11:38
Holy Moly R....!!!!!

1 cup of sour cream???? :shocked:

That is NOT on my diet (started Weight Watchers a week ago.....down 5.5 pounds this week!!)

My best friend and I have fond memories of macaroni and cheese from the old public high school we both went to. They used that "free" government cheese they used to get back in the 80's. That stuff was the BEST!

This recipe very closely mimics the macaroni and cheese we had back then.

Go Peachie Go! :)

gruntmedik
06-16-2006, 15:02

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Nestor
06-18-2006, 12:40
That's what I made today (best choice for a hot day):

1 lb beets
1 lb raw crawfish
8 cups water
1 cup sour cream
4 tablespoons chopped dill
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
1 sliced lemon
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
4 green onions
4 radishes
3 hard-boiled eggs
3 potatoes
2 cucumbers, peeled and seeded
salt and pepper

4 servings

4 hours 30 mins prep

1.Grate the beets; place in an earthenware container with 2 tablespoons of vinegar; let marinate one hour.
2.Peel and cut the vegetables (except the beets) into small dice; cook the diced potatoes in boiling water with a pinch of salt, drain and reserve.
3.Place the beets in a saucepan and cover with 8 cups of water; bring to the boil; reduce the heat and let cook for 10 minutes.
4.Add a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of sugar; cook 10 minutes longer.
5.Drain the beets, reserving the cooking liquid.
6.While the beets are cooking, bringing alarge pot of water to a boil.
7.Peel the crawfish; place into boiling water and cook until they are pink (do NOT overcook).
8.Drain and chop coarsely.
9.Place the beet cooking liquid into a bowl, whisk in the sour cream, add the beets, radish, green onion, cucumber, potatoes, crawfish, lemon juice, dill and the remaining tablespoon of vinegar.
10.Season with pepper, salt and ½ teaspoons sugar, cover and refrigerate for two hours.
11.Pour into serving bowls, sprinkle each with dill fronds and chopped hard-boiled eggs, and garnish with lemon slices if desired.

Family was happy with it.

SouthernGal
06-20-2006, 14:46
Dressing:
1 cup canola oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika

Salad:
In Large bowl place the following:
1 head Boston Lettuce
1 head Romaine Lettuce
1 pint sliced strawberries
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
1/2 pound cooked crumbled bacon
1/2 cup of toasted almonds

OPTIONS--Substitute spinach leaves for the Boston lettuce for higher fiber. A can of drained mandarin oranges may also be added. Substitute sliced almonds (prepackaged) instead of toasted almonds to save calories. Canned bacon bits (real) may also be used instead of fresh cooked and crumbled bacon. You can also purchase the Brianna Dressing or a Raspberry Vinagrette dressing instead of making the dressing above.

JMag
07-01-2006, 16:25
Saltine cracker(s)
Mayonaise
Worcestershire sauce (variation hot sauce)

Take cracker, add mayo, top with either or both sauces. Enjoy.

:clown:

SouthernGal
07-10-2006, 08:36
For all of you ice cream lovers!

Here is a recipe for ice cream that will taste like a Wendy's Frosty. You will need 3 ingredients.

1 ½ gallon Nestle's Quick Chocolate Milk
1 12 oz container of Cool whip
1 can( I think it is 14 oz) Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk

Do not substitute off brands!!!!!!!!! You must use the name brand!

Mix all together in your ice cream freezer container. Add ice, rock salt and man power(or electricity) for churning.

Once frozen, it is best served with a spoon because it is too thick for a straw.

Enjoy!

scratchy wilson
07-16-2006, 22:32
My Lady demands a recipe for Red Sauce!

Comply immediately upon receipt.

>Transmission ends<

MB-G26
07-28-2006, 01:27
Wed, I think. Footnetwork cable channel:

Chicken Saltimbocca Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
Show: Everyday Italian

6 (3-ounce) chicken cutlets, pounded to evenly flatten
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 paper-thin slices prosciutto
1 (10-ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 (14-ounce) can low-salt chicken broth
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Place the chicken cutlets flat on the work surface.
Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
Lay 1 slice of prosciutto atop each chicken cutlet.
Squeeze the frozen spinach to remove the excess water.
Season the spinach with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, toss the spinach with 1 tablespoon of oil to coat.

Arrange an even, thin layer of spinach atop the prosciutto slices.
Sprinkle the Parmesan evenly over each.
Beginning at the short tapered end, roll up each chicken cutlet as for a jellyroll.
Secure with a toothpick.

Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy large skillet over high heat.
Add the chicken and cook just until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
Add the chicken broth and lemon juice, and scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
Bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium. Cover and simmer until the chicken is just cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Transfer the chicken to a platter.
Simmer the cooking liquid over high heat until it is reduced to about 2/3 cup, about 5 minutes. Season the cooking liquid with salt and pepper, to taste.
Remove toothpicks from the chicken.
Drizzle the reduced cooking liquid over the chicken and serve immediately
--------------------------

Saw this one yesterday..... looked really simple but yummy!

Dustin's Chicken Spiedini Recipe courtesy Dustin Walls
See this recipe on air Wednesday Aug. 02 at 1:00 PM ET/PT.
Show: Paula's Home Cooking

3 large boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
6 ounces Asiago cheese (or any good Italian cheese), cut into 3 (2-inch) cubes
1/2 cup high-quality olive oil
2 cups Italian bread crumbs
4 dried bay leaves
1 large white onion, sliced thickly lengthwise

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray a baking pan lightly with cooking spray. Wrap each chicken strips around each cheese cube and secure with a toothpick. Dip chicken in olive oil and then roll in bread crumbs. Place chicken in the baking pan. Top with bay leaves and sliced onions. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked through, and cheese has melted, and bread crumbs are golden brown. Serve.
----------

Early last week up in Flag, I made (among other things) Alton Brown's "Chicken Kiev". Took longer to assemble and such than depicted in Alton's show, but it came out pretty darn good.

MB-G26
07-28-2006, 01:45
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_24030,00.html

Venison Enchiladas
Recipe courtesy Cowboy Club
Show: $40 a Day
Episode: Sedona, Arizona

2 pounds cubed venison stew meat
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon ground chili powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 bunch cilantro, leaves chopped
1/2 cup reduced chicken stock
5 cups shredded colby-jack cheese
12 corn tortillas
4 tablespoons canola oil
Red enchilada sauce, recipe follows

Heat oil in a large heavy skillet until almost smoking. Carefully add venison meat, chopped onion and chopped garlic, season with salt and pepper and brown the meat, stirring occasionally. Add chili powder, brown sugar and cilantro. Deglaze this with the chicken stock. Removed from heat and allow to cool. Stir in 3 cups of the shredded cheese.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Soften 12 corn tortillas in a microwave oven, wrapped in a damp cloth for 10 to 20 seconds on high, until soft and pliable. Spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of venison mix into center of tortilla and roll. Place rolled enchiladas into a lightly oiled baking dish, seam side down. Smother with enchilada sauce and sprinkle remaining colby-jack cheese, to taste. Cover and bake for 20 minutes.

Red enchilada sauce:
1 red bell pepper
2 cups canola oil
1 1/2 onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
10 (6-inch) corn tortillas
3/4 cup chili powder
1/2tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons salt
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate
5 cups chicken stock
2 cups brewed coffee
1/2 cup orange juice concentrate

Flame-roast bell pepper until skin is blistered, place in a bowl and wrap with plastic. Allow to cool, then peel, seed, and chop. In a heavy bottom skillet, heat canola oil. Saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic until onions are lightly caramelized. Add tortillas torn into pieces. Add chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, pepper and salt to release oils in the spices, about 1 minute using care not to burn the spices.
Add chicken stock, coffee and orange juice concentrate. Add chocolate, chopped into pieces. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 45 minutes. Remove from heat, carefully blend smooth in a processor or blender in batches (sauce should be smooth but still thick). When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth. Adjust the consistency with additional chicken stock if necessary.

This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_34099,00.html

Venison Loin with Chocolate Infused Sauce
Recipe courtesy Anthony Calamari
Show: Rachael Ray's Tasty Travels
Episode: California Coast

1 (1 1/2-pound) venison loin, or substitute lamb loin
4 cups red wine
4 bay leaves
4 sprigs thyme, plus more for garnish
4 cups venison stock (or beef stock)
1/4 cup semisweet dark chocolate chips
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
1 cup honey
3 ounces olive oil
1 pound chanterelles, cleaned and sliced
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1 1/2 pounds braising greens
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste

Place the venison loin in a non-reactive bowl or pan and add the red wine, bay leaves, and fresh thyme. Let marinate for 24 hours, refrigerated.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Remove the venison loin from the marinade and pat dry using paper towels. Reserve the marinade and pour it into a non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce over high heat until reduced by half. Add the venison stock and lower the heat to medium-low flame. Reduce again by half, then take off the heat and add the semisweet chocolate and whisk. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Keep warm.

Combine the pecans and honey in a small bowl.

Season the venison with salt and pepper. In an oven-safe saute pan over medium-high heat, heat 1-ounce of olive oil. Sear the loin on 1 side until golden brown and turn, then place the pan in the oven for about 8 to 10 minutes. Cook until an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the venison loin registers 130 degrees F for medium rare. Remove from pan and allow to rest.

Meanwhile, in a saute pan over high heat, heat 1-ounce of olive oil. Add the chanterelles and season with salt and pepper. Saute for about 4 to 6 minutes or until tender, mixing gradually with a wooden spoon. Reserve.

In another saute pan over medium-high heat, add the remaining 1-ounce of olive oil. Add garlic and saute until golden, about 30 seconds. Then, quickly add braising greens and the 4 tablespoons (or to taste) lemon juice. Saute the braising greens until tender, stirring frequently. Reserve.

For plating: Roll the venison loin in the pecan mixture and then slice into 4 portions.

On each dinner plate, add some chocolate sauce and then layer the braising greens, then the chanterelles, followed by the slices of venison loin. Drizzle some of the honey pecan mixture on top of the venison and garnish the plate with a sprig of thyme.

This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.

gruntmedik
07-28-2006, 22:20
Originally posted by MB-G26
Wed, I think. Footnetwork cable channel:

Huh, who'da thunk it?:shoe:

:kiss:

Oh yeah, I bet that was some dang good food you fixed:eat:

MB-G26
07-31-2006, 01:56
"Footnetwork"

::::::::groan:::::::::::

(Wonder if that's a clue I've had shoes-on-the-brain lately :laughabove:

April
08-13-2006, 09:58
This poor sticky looked lonely.... Here's that recipe Karen, hope ya like it. :supergrin:

Banana Bread

1/2 c. Shortening (sub margarine)
1/2 c. White Sugar
1/2 c. Light Brown Sugar
1 1/2 c. All Purpose Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon (or a heavy dash)
3 Medium Ripe Bananas

Preheat oven to 325*. Lightly grease (I prefer to spray, but whatever) 8x4 loaf pan, or whatever plan you're using this time around.

Cream together shortening and sugar. Sift in flour, baking soda and salt. Fold in flour mixture. Blend in cinnamon, vanilla and bananas.

A loaf should take about an hour to bake. Mini muffins took about 20 minutes. Just basically until a round toothpick or cake tester comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for at least 5 minutes.

Note: You can sub the 3 bananas with 1 1/2 c. of any other fruit or veggie. I've considered zuccini, in which case I'd prolly use 1 c. white sugar instead of 1/2 each of white and brown. Experiment a little. This seems to be a pretty resiliant recipe.

WINGS
08-13-2006, 10:13
A fast no brainer SHRIMP ON THE GRILL

Take Pesto add olive oil - (3 pesto to one oil)in a ZipLoc bag

Marinate shrimp as long as you care to

Put on metal skewers and grill pouring the left over marinade on shrimp after you turn them.

They get nice and blackened and taste great!

MB-G26
08-19-2006, 23:55
Looks a little wierd, but sounds interesting:

http://images.scrippsweb.com/FOOD/2004/04/13/be1f29_berkshire_pork_chop_d.jpg

Grilled Berkshire Pork Chop with Merlot Sauce

Sweet Potatoes:
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup maple syrup
Merlot Sauce:
3 cups beef broth
1 cup Merlot wine
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup water
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Pork chops:
4 (4-ounce) pork chops
2 tablespoons olive oil

To cook the sweet potatoes: Place them in a medium saucepot and cover with water. Bring the water to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes and place them into a food processor. Add the butter and maple syrup and process until smooth and creamy. (The sweet potatoes can also be mashed by hand.) Transfer to a bowl and keep warm or cool and reheat.
To make the sauce: Combine the broth and wine in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat then reduce by one third. Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk the cornstarch with 1/4 cup water until smooth. Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the simmering sauce. Continue whisking until the sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm over low heat.

To cook the pork: Heat a cast iron skillet or grill pan over high heat. Season the pork with salt and pepper. Brush the chops with oil then cook until barely pink at the center, about 4 minutes per side. Allow the pork to rest for 5 minutes.

Arrange sweet potatoes and pork chops on 2 plates. Spoon sauce around the chops and serve.

MB-G26
08-20-2006, 00:02
http://images.scrippsweb.com/FOOD/2003/10/21/ce1a14_pork_chops_d.jpg

Stuffed Pork Chops Recipe courtesy Family Circle Magazine

Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 22 minutes
Yield: 4 servings

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bag (6 ounces) baby spinach
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1/4 pound capocollo (spicy Italian ham), cut into small dice
1/4 pound provolone cheese, cut into small dice
1 egg, lightly beaten
4 thick-cut (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches) pork chops for stuffing (about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds total)

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute. Add spinach, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper and the Italian seasoning; cook, stirring, just until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove the spinach mixture to a medium-size bowl; let cool completely. When cool, add the capocollo, provolone cheese and egg; gently stir to combine completely.
Place the pork chops on a flat work surface; cut a slit horizontally to the bone so chop can be opened like a book. Stuff each chop with 1/4 of the stuffing. (If freezing, wrap each chop tightly in freezer wrap, without toothpicks; freeze up to 1 month.) Secure chops with toothpicks.

To cook and serve: If chops are frozen, thaw in refrigerator overnight.

Preheat oven to 375 degree F.

Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet. Add chops; cook 2 minutes per side or until browned. Place chops in single layer in a baking dish just large enough to hold them. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Bake the chops in the oven for 15 minutes or until the internal temperature registers 155 degrees on an instant-read thermometer when inserted in the pork. Remove chops to a platter; cover with foil. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes in warm place before serving.

MB-G26
08-20-2006, 00:24
These have been called for in several recipies from the foodnetwork site - but darn if I can find them in any local chain grocery.

Supposedly the main/only difference from 'regular' ones is the Panko/Japanese breadcrumbs are "corser". One of the Alton Brown chicken dishes I posted and did make up in Flag called for them - I just made my own and kinda guessed at it.

Absent a Japanese grocery (not in this town, anyway) any ideas?

Zonny
08-20-2006, 19:06
Mb I think you can buy Panko in the Asian section of your basic market. Have you tried Fry's?

G20man32904
08-20-2006, 19:45
bump for later reading :supergrin:

MB-G26
08-20-2006, 20:39
Originally posted by Arizonny
Mb I think you can buy Panko in the Asian section of your basic market. Have you tried Fry's?

No, I haven't been in a Fry's yet while shopping for recipe specifics.... Bashas' doesn't have squat, and Safeway's 'ethnic' grocery section is fairly limited. Sometimes I hit the Fry's at the 101 and Shea, tho, on the way home from the Ftn. Hills nursing home - there's a thought. I think the best 'ethnic' or 'asian' section I've seen over time was in an Albertsons - but since they are usually the most expensive of the chains in our immediate area, I don't often go there. I'll keep Fry's in mind. Thanks!

smith10
08-21-2006, 10:30
Sour Cream Cheese Enchiladas

2 packages flour tortillas

2 cans cream of chicken soup

2 small cans diced green chilies

2 lbs shredded cheese (can be longhorn, cheddar, monterey jack, or a combo)

1 pint sour cream

Mix, soup, chilies, sour cream, and half of cheeses. Fill each tortilla with *about* 3 Tbsp of filling. Place filled tortillas in baking pan sprayed with non-stick spray and cover with the rest of the cheeses. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.

Made this for lunch,added shredded chicken.

OSSI
09-05-2006, 18:38

Where did you get this one from.:frown:
This is an old secret TASSI recipe, but originally with wallaby or Wombat:upeyes:

MtBaldy
09-06-2006, 11:50
Years ago, living single, I found myself preparing lots of those chili kits with the little bags of spices that you add meat, tomato and beans to. After doing that for a while I figured I didn't need the kits anymore and set out to make a recipe as good or better. This is pretty much what I came up with and I still make it today. People seem to really like it.

Chili

2 lbs ground round or lean ground beef
3 Tbs. olive oil
1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 15 oz. cans petite diced tomatoes
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 tsp dry cilantro or 2 Tbs fresh chopped
1 tsp oregano
1 1/2 cup water
2 15 oz. cans pinto beans
4 Tbs. chili powder, use rounded Tbs.
3 Tbs. cumin, use rounded Tbs.
1 tsp. unsweetened cocoa
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. red pepper, or to taste

In bottom of Dutch oven (or separate skillet) sauté onion in olive oil until translucent. Add garlic and sauté additional 30 seconds. Do not burn garlic. Remove garlic and onions from the pan. Add meat and cook until brown. Drain excess grease Add onions and garlic back to the meat. Add tomatoes to meat, onion, and garlic. Add water, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, salt, black pepper, red pepper, oregano, and cilantro. Bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes stirring occasionally. Drain pinto beans and add to chili. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Check for seasoning and consistency. Serve in bowls with chopped lettuce, sour cream, and shredded cheddar cheese, if desired..

Note: 1/4 tsp. red pepper makes it “1 Alarm Chili”. My choice would be to add a full teaspoon red pepper (or more) to make it “4 Alarm Chili” but then I would be the only one in our house eating it. Be guided by your, and your guests, tolerance for heat.

Enjoy.

Mrs. VR
09-06-2006, 14:25
this is not mine, just saw it online and don't wanna lose it:

1 1/3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 cup canned chopped green chiles, drained
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup fat-free sour cream
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 (10 1/2-ounce) cans condensed 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup, undiluted (such as Campbell's)
1 garlic clove, minced
Cooking spray
24 (6-inch) corn tortillas
4 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (about 1 pound)
2 cups (8 ounces) finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350°.
Combine the first 9 ingredients in a large saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

Spread 1 cup soup mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 6 tortillas over the soup mixture, and top with 1 cup chicken and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layers, ending with the cheese. Spread remaining soup mixture over cheese. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

Yield: 12 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 335(29% from fat); FAT 10.8g (sat 5.9g,mono 2.7g,poly 1.2g); PROTEIN 23.9g; CHOLESTEROL 66mg; CALCIUM 270mg; SODIUM 693mg; FIBER 3.2g; IRON 1.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 34.3g

Theresa Marquez

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2003

MtBaldy
09-07-2006, 02:29
Originally posted by Mrs. VR
this is not mine, just saw it online and don't wanna lose it:

I use BigOven recipe software. You can get a free trial at www.bigoven.com. It's pretty easy to import recipes off the web.

Here's a recipe from Paula Deen we enjoy:

Baked Spaghetti

-= Ingredients =-

2 cups canned diced tomatoes
2 cups tomato sauce
1 cup water
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
2 cloves garlic ; chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 1/2 teaspoons House Seasoning ; recipe follows
1 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
2 small bay leaves
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
8 ounces uncooked angel hair pasta
1 cup grated cheddar
1 cup grated Monterey Jack

-= Instructions =-

In a stockpot, combine the tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, onions, peppers, garlic, parsley, seasoning mixtures, sugar, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil over high heat, and then reduce the heat and let simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Crumble the ground beef in a large skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until fully cooked, with no pink color remaining. Drain the fat from the meat, and then add the ground beef to the stockpot. Simmer for 20 more minutes. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Cover the bottom of a 13 by 9 by 2-inch pan with sauce. Add a layer of pasta and then a little less than 1/2 of each cheese; repeat the layers, ending with the sauce. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Top the casserole with the remaining cheese, return it to the oven, and continue to cook until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 5 more minutes. Cut into squares before serving.

House Seasoning:

1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder

ps I imported your recipe too.

Madame O
09-22-2006, 22:23
Originally posted by Historian
I admit it's not mine alone. :) But i love Emeril's cooking.

Warning: Before making have cardiologist on standby.

Four Cheese Spinach Lasagna

1 (20-ounce) package fresh spinach, tough stems removed and washed
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup minced shallots
2 teaspoons minced garlic
3/4 pound portobello mushrooms, stems removed and sliced (about 3 large)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups whole milk
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 1/2 cups grated Parmesan
15 ounces fresh ricotta
1 1/2 cups grated Fontina or provolone
1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella
1 pound lasagna noodles, cooked to al dente

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spinach and cook for 2 minutes. Drain in a fine mesh strainer, pressing with a large spoon to release as much water as possible. Finely chop and set aside.
In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms, 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt and black pepper, and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are tender and have given off their liquid, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.

To make the bechamel sauce, in a large saucepan, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, to make a light roux, about 2 minutes. Whisking constantly, slowly add the milk and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, the nutmeg, and 1 cup of the Parmesan and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.

In a bowl, combine the ricotta, fontina, and mozzarella cheeses. Fold in 1/4 cup of the bechamel sauce.

Across the bottom of a deep-dish lasagna pan (13 by 9-inches), spoon enough bechamel sauce to cover (about 1/2 cup). Then add 1/4 of the mushrooms and sprinkle 1/4 of the spinach across. Arrange a layer of cooked noodles side-by-side across the sauce. Spread another layer of bechamel over the noodles and top with more spinach, mushrooms, and cheese. Repeat layering with sauce, noodles, spinach, and cheese 2 more times, ending with noodles on top. Sprinkle the remaining 1 1/2 cups of Parmesan over the top, cover tightly with aluminum foil, and bake until the noodles are tender and the lasagna is hot and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until golden brown on top, about 10 minutes.

Let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Serve hot.

Well, let's try that tonight :) :) :)

nsb22
09-27-2006, 20:39
2 potatoes (more if making for family)
1 onion
lawrys seasoned salt- to taste
lawrys seasoned pepper- to taste
garlic salt- to taste
2 sheets of tin foil
can of pam

Slice the potatoes. You can skin them if you want. Slice the onion. On your first sheet of foil, coat with pam and then put half of your onion on the bottom with all of the dry ingredients. Place the potato slices on top of that. Top off with the rest of your onions and more dry ingredients. Place second sheet of foil on top and roll the two pieces of foil together to make a good pouch to keep most of the steam in!!! Throw this on the grill a little before your steaks. When they are fork tender, they are done.

LV 702
10-18-2006, 13:23
Post em if you got em. ;f

I have a few to add, but the 24 nazi is watching. ;f I've never read this thread before but I know your talking about me!!!:eyebrow::eyebrow: When 24 is on all you should be doing is watching it not post.

MB-G26
10-23-2006, 03:35
I spent some time trolling around foodnetwork.com, but most of the veggie centered recipies I found were either wayyyyyyyy out there or involved a couple of things I cannot abide: eggplant, capers, wierd squash. (Or, they are based on the really REALLY expensive mushrooms.... and I DO get told I spend to much money at the grocery....)

I did find one that sounds good.....but I need to devise some interesting things to do w/veggies beyond just different salads or casssaroles.

Vegetable Tempura
Recipe courtesy Jamie Oliver
Show: The Naked Chef
Episode: The Band

Tempura batter is very handy and easy to make. You can use it with just about any vegetable, as long as they are cut thin enough so that the vegetable can just cook and soften in the same time as it takes for the batter to crisp. These can be eaten alone as a starter with a good sprinkle of rock salt, halves of lemon or lime and possibly some of the dips. The battered vegetables also make a nice side dish, especially with simply cooked meat or fish and a salad.

7 ounces plain flour
3 1/2 ounces corn flour
Ice-cold water, preferably soda or sparkling
3 pounds of assorted vegetables (see below)

Add all the flour to a bowl. With the handle of a spoon, or a chopstick, mix, and stir in the ice-cold water until the mixture is slightly thicker than buttermilk consistency. Make a point of not mixing thoroughly, as tempura is renowned for lumps of flour.
Dip sliced vegetables (zucchini, onions, eggplants, carrots, bell peppers, sweet potatoes, string beans, broccoli, wild mushrooms, fresh herbs, and bok choy) any vegetables will work but these are the most commonly used) into the batter mixture and shake off any excess.

Deep fry vegetables in a wok or deep fat fryer (you can use a frying pan if you do not have anything else, you just need about 7cm/3 inches of clean oil) at 200C/400F/Gas 6 until the batter is light golden in color and crisp. (Any large amounts of hot oil in a kitchen, especially in woks which are not always that sturdy, scare me, please be careful and do not leave the pan unattended.) Turn the vegetables at intervals to ensure that both sides are cooked equally and then fish them out with a slotted spoon, shaking off any excess oil. Place them on kitchen paper towels and eat as soon as possible. The reason that I keep going on about eating them so quickly is because as your hot cooked vegetables cool down inside the batter they begin to steam, making them less crisp as time goes on. Good tempura should be crispy and is one of those things that should be made and cooked quickly and eaten straight away.

Tempura Dipping Sauce:
1 cup rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 handful cilantro, chopped
1 small chile, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Pour the rice wine vinegar into a small bowl. Add the sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Taste for sweetness. Add cilantro, chile, and garlic and mix well. Season with salt and pepper and allow to sit for 10 minutes to 1 hour, for flavors to combine.

pesticidal
10-29-2006, 18:18
Having trouble keeping up with these recipes? I found a free program that works pretty nice.

http://www.recipecentersoftware.com/

MrsKitty
11-10-2006, 09:08
Punkin stuff

Crust:

1 box butter recipe yellow cake mix (set aside 1 cup)
1 stick melted butter
1 egg

Mix and "pour" in bottom of pan. It will be really thick so you will have to press it into place some.

Filling:

2 cup pumpkin (I have used canned, fresh and frozen from earlier in the year, adjust for liquid using fresh/frozen)
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg

*if using fresh/frozen pumpkin, add a pinch of salt

Mix and pour over crust.

Topping:
1 cup cake mix
1/4-1/2 stick soft butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Mix and sprinkle on top

Bake at 350 about 45 minutes.

I can't find the recipe so this is from memory. If I do find it and something is different, I will edit this but I think it is right (the only thing I am concerned about is the amount of spices for the cloves, ginger and nutmeg-they may be short). Also, I have adjusted based on what ingredients I did or didn't have on hand and never had a problem

gruntmedik
11-10-2006, 13:50
I think I love you :drool: :hearts: :hugs:

MrsKitty
11-12-2006, 11:19
I think I love you :drool: :hearts: :hugs:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:hugs: :hearts: :hugs:

Arizona
11-12-2006, 17:04
No not those kind of rats.

Take a bunch of jalapenos, cut the tops off, and split them down the middle. Scoop the seeds out. Spoon some cream cheese into the jalapeno half, top with a small piece of chicken breast, wrap with half a strip of bacon. Throw them on the grill until the bacon is good and cooked, no need to flip em. If you don't have a grill throw them on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven at about that temperature. It's been awhile since I cooked em in the oven, but I think it was around 400. Gauranteed you will not be able to eat just one.

kcb
11-15-2006, 18:41
Does anyone have a good recipe for Chicken Marsala?

We have a new restaurant in town that serves it and it is wonderful.

My husband and I just had some for dinner this evening; it seems like it would not be that difficult to make. I did a search but haven't been successful yet.

If anyone has a recipe, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!:)

MtBaldy
11-15-2006, 19:02
Originally posted by kcb405
Does anyone have a good recipe for Chicken Marsala?

I haven't tried this but everything I have fixed of his was very good. My guess is this would be too:

Chicken Marsala Recipe
courtesy Tyler Florence and JoAnn Cianciulli

4 skinless, boneless, chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
All-purpose flour, for dredging
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced
8 ounces crimini or porcini mushrooms, stemmed and halved
1/2 cup sweet Marsala wine
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley

Put the chicken breasts side by side on a cutting board and lay a piece of plastic wrap over them; pound with a flat meat mallet, until they are about 1/4-inch thick. Put some flour in a shallow platter and season with a fair amount of salt and pepper; mix with a fork to distribute evenly.
Heat the oil over medium-high flame in a large skillet. When the oil is nice and hot, dredge both sides of the chicken cutlets in the seasoned flour, shaking off the excess. Slip the cutlets into the pan and fry for 5 minutes on each side until golden, turning once – do this in batches if the pieces don't fit comfortably in the pan. Remove the chicken to a large platter in a single layer to keep warm.
Lower the heat to medium and add the prosciutto to the drippings in the pan, saute for 1 minute to render out some of the fat. Now, add the mushrooms and saute until they are nicely browned and their moisture has evaporated, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Pour the Marsala in the pan and boil down for a few seconds to cook out the alcohol. Add the chicken stock and simmer for a minute to reduce the sauce slightly. Stir in the butter and return the chicken to the pan; simmer gently for 1 minute to heat the chicken through. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with chopped parsley before serving.

kcb
11-15-2006, 19:36
Thank you so much!

Sounds good! Can't wait to try it!

:thumbsup: :)

gruntmedik
11-15-2006, 22:53
Originally posted by Arizona

Take a bunch of jalapenos, cut the tops off, and split them down the middle. Scoop the seeds out. Spoon some cream cheese into the jalapeno half, top with a small piece of chicken breast, wrap with half a strip of bacon. Throw them on the grill until the bacon is good and cooked, no need to flip em. If you don't have a grill throw them on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven at about that temperature. It's been awhile since I cooked em in the oven, but I think it was around 400. Gauranteed you will not be able to eat just one.

I made some last night, dayum :drool:

Toodles
11-18-2006, 09:52
Anyone got a good basic cookie dough mix recipe ?

Wulfenite
11-18-2006, 10:50
Sugar? Chocolate Chip? ??????

MtBaldy
11-18-2006, 11:36
Originally posted by Arizona

BBQ pros and caterers make somthing similar called Atomic Buffalo Turds, also very good:

http://www.bbqinstitute.com/appetizers.htm

Gasoil4ever
11-20-2006, 18:29
Its delicious... but can't bother to translate... :rofl:

- 1 morceau de thon de 1,200 kg
- 50 g de beurre
- sel et poivre
- 2 verres de cidre

Sauce :

- 3 cuillères à soupe de crème fraîche
- 300 g de champignons de couche
- 30 g de beurre
- un filet de citron

Préparation :

Mettez le morceau de thon (après avoir retiré la peau) dans un plat beurré allant au four.
Parsemez de parcelles de beurre, assaisonnez, puis arrosez avec le cidre et enfournez à four chaud préchauffé.

Faites cuire pendant 1 heure maximum, en arrosant souvent avec le cidre présent dans le plat.

Au moment de servir, liez le jus de cuisson avec la crème et ajoutez les champignons préalablement sautés au beurre et arrosés d'un filet de citron.

Mrs. VR
11-20-2006, 20:31
Originally posted by Gasoil4ever
Its delicious... but can't bother to translate... :rofl:

- 1 piece of tuna of 1,200 kg - 50 G of butter - salt and pepper - 2 cider glasses Sauce: - 3 spoons with soup of fresh cream - 300 G of cultivated mushrooms - 30 G of butter - a lemon net Preparation: Put the piece of tuna (after having withdrawn the skin) in a buttered dish going at the furnace. Strew with butter pieces, season, then sprinkle with the cider and charge with preheated hot furnace. Make cook during 1 maximum hour, while often sprinkling with the cider present in the dish. At the time of being useful, bind the juice of cooking with the cream and add mushrooms beforehand jumped to butter and sprinkled with a lemon net. __________________ :shocked:

Zonny
11-21-2006, 15:18
Originally posted by misskitty5077
Punkin stuff

Crust:

1 box butter recipe yellow cake mix (set aside 1 cup)
1 stick melted butter
1 egg

Mix and "pour" in bottom of pan. It will be really thick so you will have to press it into place some.

Filling:

2 cup pumpkin (I have used canned, fresh and frozen from earlier in the year, adjust for liquid using fresh/frozen)
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg

*if using fresh/frozen pumpkin, add a pinch of salt

Mix and pour over crust.

Topping:
1 cup cake mix
1/4-1/2 stick soft butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Mix and sprinkle on top

Bake at 350 about 45 minutes.

I can't find the recipe so this is from memory. If I do find it and something is different, I will edit this but I think it is right (the only thing I am concerned about is the amount of spices for the cloves, ginger and nutmeg-they may be short). Also, I have adjusted based on what ingredients I did or didn't have on hand and never had a problem

This is really good...I can attest to that. I am makine my second one this week.

I ammended it to add the one cup of sugar listed to go in the topping to the filling. No sugar needed in topping.

kcb
11-22-2006, 08:40
Originally posted by Toodles
Anyone got a good basic cookie dough mix recipe ?

Like Wulfinite said,

Sugar? Chocolate Chip?

Or, I have a Refrigerator Cookie Dough recipe, for Christmas Cookies?

kcb
11-22-2006, 08:42
Originally posted by Arizonny
This is really good...I can attest to that. I am makine my second one this week.

I ammended it to add the one cup of sugar listed to go in the topping to the filling. No sugar needed in topping.

That does sound good! Never heard of using Yellow Cake mix for
the crust before...I take that back, one friend of mine has used it for a creamy fruit pie crust.

Sounds great! I might try that!:)

Zonny
11-28-2006, 17:17
Black Bottom Banana Cream Pie
1 (9-inch) pastry crust
3 tbsp cornstarch, divided
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
dash of salt
1 1/3 cps milk divided
1 ounce semisweet chocolate chopped
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 tbsp stick butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 ounces block style cream cheese
2 cups sliced (about 2) bananas
1 1/2 cups frozen whipped topping

1. Prepare and bake pastry crust in 9-in pie plate. cool completely

2. Combine 1 tbsp cornstarch, 2 tbsp sugar, cocoa, and dash of salt in a small, heavy saucepan, gradually adding 1/3 cup milk with whisk. Cook 2 minutes over med-low heat. Stir in chocolate, bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cook 1 minute stirring constantly. Spread chocolate mixture in bottom of prepared crust.

3. Combine 2 tbps cornstarch, 1/2 cp sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, eggs, 1 cup milk and butter in a heavy pan over medium heat.Stirring constantly with whisk. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and cook until think about 30 seconds). Add 1/4 cup hot custard to cream cheese and beat until jus blended. Stir in remaining custard.

4. Arrange banana slices on top of chocolate layer, spoon custard over bananas. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard, chill for 4 hours. remove plastic wrap. Spread whipped topping evenly over custard. Garnish with chocolate curls. Chill until ready to serve.