And your favorite movie about our Corps is...? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : And your favorite movie about our Corps is...?

JDM2126
03-22-2006, 20:25
The best, in this Marine's opinion, was "Battle Cry", the WWII epic based on Leon Uris' book by the same name. Great cast, and fairly true to the book, which was loosely based on 2d Bn, 6th Marines.

The "silver medal" goes to "The Sands of Iwo Jima". Yes, it was historically inaccurate (had the same guys hitting the beach at Tarawa and Iwo-- didn't happen), but the Duke's portrayal of Sgt. Stryker was classic.

A lot out there to choose from-- "Flying Leathernecks", "The D.I.", "Full Metal Jacket", "Heartbreak Ridge". My favorite Marine in the movies continues to be Jack Nicholson's character in "A Few Good Men" (Colonel Nathan ??). His speech on the witness stand ("You want me on that wall-- you NEED me on that wall") reflected the sentiments of many of my generation's Leathernecks in the post-Vietnam era. He was the bad guy in the movie, but his words rang true.

By the way-- I read a few pages of the book "Jarhead", and made a quick decision not to see the movie. He served, and therefore has the right to state his opinion, but I could see spending my time and money at the theatre on a flick that portrayed one Marine's "sour grapes".

There's the first volley-- what say you "soldiers of the sea"?

Dave in Idaho
03-24-2006, 23:28
In no particular order:

"Sands of Iwo Jima" The Duke. Nothing more to say.
"FullMetal Jacket" Bootcamp portion only.
"The Wind and the Lion" Not really a Marine flick but great portrayal of Old Corps Marines. Includes Sean Connery and Brian Keith. This is a hairy chested manly men movie. Sean Connery's character keeps asking Candice Bergen, his well kept hostage, what kind of rifle Teddy Roosevelt shoots and would Roosevelt be willing to meet him in battle. Great movie!

Dave

reconvic
03-26-2006, 17:58
Heartbreak Ridge I felt was Ok , but I remember the Corps closer to Full Metal Jacket.
Semper Fi Vic

E4E
03-27-2006, 18:26
I dunno...

The D.I. and "Sands of Iwo Jima" stick out from before I went in, but....

Watched "Full Metal Jacket" when it came out at the theatre on the strip in Oceanside, with approximately 150 Jarheads and some pretty nervous Civvies once R.Lee started doing his thing.

The rest of Full metal Jacket pretty much sucked.

"Heartbreak Ridge" was a let down.
The portrayal of the idiot Box Kicker Major in charge of Recon Marines, and the doofus boot looie, and all the hogwash of assaulting a staff NCO bugged me.
So did the concept of a bunch of Recon Marines being lazy and less than Motivated.

I used the "Ships Company" segment of "The wind and the lion" as a Motivational intro to a class I was tasked with once.
THAT was a mistake!!!!:supergrin:

Aliens#3(?) with the "Space Marines" and the typical Jarhead language and attitude stands out.

I actually paid to see the Abortion called "Jarhead".
The acting was great! Never thought that the actors weren't typical Jarheads.

The story line is complete and total crap, and is historicly a complete FARCE!!!!
The fact that it went so far off into delusional bullcrap, ruined it.

I thnk the Movie called (Correct me if I am wrong on the title) "Wind talkers" was excellent, and is probably the best done Jarhead flick since Full metal Jacket.

"Seige of firebase Gloria" :supergrin:
It ain't a Jarhead flick......
But it is.:supergrin:

Currently,

The History Channel and "Mail Call" is the best thing since the Poncho liner.
It ain't a Movie, but even when dealing with Squidly or AirFarce topics, R.Lee Carries the show.

:supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin:

There needs to be a Movie made about Beirut, and the "Hotel".
Historicly accurate, and "Live" concerning the efforts of the gangy with the mess outside the wire.
Folks just do not know.

E4E

Tampico
04-15-2006, 12:17
Personally, I like the D.I.

FMJ after Gunny Hartman is killed is crap.

I was at Pendleton when they were filming Heartbreak Ridge. A WM I worked for was in the movie as an extra. To be honest, I don't remember a thing about the movie.

Nicholson was good in AFGM.

FDC
04-15-2006, 12:44
Let me chime in since I like movies, and have nothing against Marines.;)

Full Metal Jacket(the 1st half)
Rules of Engagement
Flying Leathernecks
Sands of Iwo Jima
A Few Good Men(Jack Nicholson is the MAN in this movie)

Heartbreak Ridge is a decent movie, but has too many misfits for my liking. Either way it's a decent Clint Eastwood flick. By the way the Grenada part of Heartbreak Ridge is actually about a Ranger Battalion, but the Army public affairs had their heads up 4th POCs about it(as usual), and refused to support the movie.

Angel Of Death
04-15-2006, 13:10
I loved Full Metal Jacket

http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/images_movie/fullmetaljacket_3.JPG

I liked Seige of Firebase Gloria

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/a5/79/1018944-movie-resized200.jpg

txleapd
04-15-2006, 13:18
Originally posted by Angel Of Death
http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/a5/79/1018944-movie-resized200.jpg

I loved that movie...

Steve in PA
04-18-2006, 23:07
Don't forget "The Boys in Company C".

pds
04-19-2006, 16:26
The first half (only) of Full Metal Jacket. The basic training part sure brought back memories of standing in the yellow footprints at MCRD San Diego (Dec. '65). Pretty good reenactment of basic training.

Trason
04-25-2006, 15:06
Full Metal jacket, First half only.

Jarhead was dissapointing, and Heatbreak Ridge was entertaining, but completely innaccurate.

I would have to say that A few Good Men was up towards the top.

Semper FI!

Big DAWG #383
04-29-2006, 11:39
By the way-- I read a few pages of the book "Jarhead", and made a quick decision not to see the movie. He served, and therefore has the right to state his opinion, but I could see spending my time and money at the theatre on a flick that portrayed one Marine's "sour grapes".

A BIG +1.

SIGSAREBETTER
04-29-2006, 20:14
Heartbreak Ridge

Solic
05-09-2006, 21:23
I liked the DI, Boys in Company C, Full Metal Jacket,"Boot Camp" only. Heartbreak ridge was surpose to be about Army Rangers, but the
Army did not want to go with the script and the Marines took it. As far as the DI my cover is off to Jack Webb, he did his homework that
man wore that uniform, he was squared away.

matt1512
05-14-2006, 19:01
This post made me think about full metal jacket. "Show me your war face". AAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh "That ain't no war face.""

glkdawg45
05-14-2006, 19:06
Any John Wayne movie, again the first half of "FMJ", The Boys of Company" was pretty good. Wasn't a movie, but a really good TV show, "Baa Baa Black Sheep".

fraiyeh yid
05-20-2006, 01:34
im a US citizen living in perth, Western Austalia thinking of joining the US marines once i finish school.

i just wanted to know what you all had against the second half of Full Metal Jacket?

JDM2126
05-21-2006, 13:14
...depicted boot camp as many Marines remember it. Credit R. Lee Ermey, the former drilll instructor, with this fairly accurate portrayal. The post-boot camp stuff in the film-- the Vietnam part-- bore no resemblance to the Corps that the guys who really were there have described to me. I came in in 1974-- the guys who taught me how to be a Marine were only a few years removed from Vietnam. They were almost all grunts, including some Hue City veterans, and to a man said that discipline in the field was tight-- had to be to stay alive. FMJ portrays an undisciplined mob. Not our Corps-- never has been, never will be.-- Semper Fi.

BTW-- visited Perth/Fremantle while on WestPacs in 1984 and 1985. Thought the Aussies were great.