It's been 13 years. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : It's been 13 years.

Show Killer
03-29-2006, 13:08
It's been 13 years since I left the Marines. I can honestly say that the Marine is still in me.

Just today I realized that I still lace my shoes/boots left over right.

Anyone else still do the little things you were tought years ago in boot camp?

TMG
03-29-2006, 17:38
Its been 10 for me. I still drink almost a canteen of water every night, and I eat food 3x faster then anyone Im eating with... Embarrasses the wife to no end..lol

Erik

Angel Of Death
03-29-2006, 18:01
Originally posted by TMG
Its been 10 for me. I still drink almost a canteen of water every night, and I eat food 3x faster then anyone Im eating with... Embarrasses the wife to no end..lol

Erik

I'm with you on the super-fast-eating aspect. I have to consiencely slow my eating down.

Erik

reconvic
03-29-2006, 18:31
I been off active duty since 1974 and still eat fast, enjoy Marine movies,shooting and weapons and a few beers lol.
Once a Marine Always one

lethrnk
03-30-2006, 07:09
It's been 28 years for me...

I eat way too fast... and now that my son is a Marine I really notice how fast he eats also.

I still keep my boots clean and polished, which has brought many comments from others at work through the years...

And I field strip my cigarettes every time, even if I am standing close to one of those fancy new butt cans.

on target
03-30-2006, 18:10
38 for me and you never question why we are former not ex Marines

E4E
04-01-2006, 22:09
Some things don't wash off.

Truth of the matter is that we are what we are, and joined in the same goal and intent for life.

I pity the others.
And our nations enemys.

Old Breed, New Breed. Same Breed.

Semper Fi!
E4E

P.S.
Ever catch yourself going through the aspects of a 5 Paragraph order, when it relates to domestic stuff?
:supergrin:

Gary_P
04-02-2006, 07:11
believe this or not, I still iron my skivvies

Princifur
04-02-2006, 13:26
Anybody else still set the dial to "0" when you snap up a combination-type padlock? I know I still do.

E4E
04-02-2006, 22:44
A recently retired "Gunny" ( Com Maggot vet of Afghanistan and Iraq)
That is a subordinate on the Job, turned his 14yr old Kid to me today on the Farm.

The Kid is nothing but "Green Monster" waiting to happen.

I barked at him one time and that was it.

"Put the small **** on the fire, toss the cut **** in the truck, and quit worrying over the fire!!!!"

Hell.......

Over lunch we talked about base housing and baseball.

The "World Stateside" alienated him and the rest of the kids from base at Cherry point, and he figured it out.

He was different, had a direction, and was looking forward.

He has noticed a lack of conviction amoung other kids, and fears falling into that trap.

It's 03 for him at graduation from High school.
Arguments as to otherwise fell on deaf ears.

His Dad has two degrees, and he figures to do better as a grunt.

BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I worked the Kid.
And have no doubt.

Semper Fi!
E4E

Dave in Idaho
04-03-2006, 01:09
March 24th was 16 years for me. Feels like I left yesterday.
When My kids ask me to sing to them they mean call cadence. Funnier than hell to hear a 5 yo calling cadence in his little voice.
Everyone in a green uniform is a Marine to him.
"Daddy are those Marines? Are they going to kill bad guys?"
Dave

Tampico
04-15-2006, 12:24
18 years for me. I still line my belt buckle up with my fly.

Hardly a day goes by where I don't wish I would have stayed in. I have a great life, but I damn, I do miss it.

Trason
04-26-2006, 14:55
I have been out for 9, still fresh in my head. I miss the action, adrenaline, and have a hard time remembering the bad times, (I know there were a few).

I still lace left over right, My neigbors love to hear the Marine Bark during a beer drinking weekend. Its amazing that civies cant get the sharp commanding voice, no matter how hard they try.

My 10 year old son is addicted to Marine stuff, we visit the recruiting office often to get more posters, stickers, etc...
His room looks like a recruiting office.

I am lucky, and get to work with a lot of Former Marines, so there is a lot of story telling in my office.

I am glad to see that someone else calls cadence once in awhile besides me.

Semper Fi!

Big DAWG #383
04-29-2006, 12:31
Yup - My "GIG Line" is always perfect.

Semper Fi

glkdawg45
05-14-2006, 19:28
Originally posted by reconvic
I been off active duty since 1974 and still eat fast, enjoy Marine movies,shooting and weapons and a few beers lol.
Once a Marine Always one

Saved the jpeg, hope you don't mind, that's too funny.

Still lace my shoes/boots "left over right", hang the "trousers" the same way, fold the skivvies the same, old habits die hard.

All most forgot, 14 yrs. since I got out. If I had stayed in, I'd be retiring in June.

Semper Fi All

reconvic
05-22-2006, 13:30
Never to a Marine Any pictures I post any Marines are welcome to them, We all share the Marine Brotherhood.http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/reconvic/ReconMarineGlock.jpg

1985 4Runner
05-28-2006, 02:54
It's been almost ten years since I got out.

I still iron creases in all my shirts. The bathroom will forever be the "head".

Not a day goes by that I don't think of what might have been had I stayed in. I'd have 14 years in by now.

Semper Fi to all, and I'll join you in a toast to our fallen brothers on Memorial Day.

R.H.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e177/scorpion2076/gifs/IwoJima.gif

Bonk
06-19-2006, 20:16
It is pathologically impossible for me to wear a pair of dress pants and not crease them. Dress shirt? Has to be creased, and I do that bunching up around the hips to make the front and back look flat thing religiously, and of course the gig line has to be straight.

And I thought I was the only one who had to have every MasterLock set at "0". :supergrin:

I've been out 6 1/2, would be halfway to my fourth hashmark now.

jon_in_wv
07-14-2006, 00:30
Holy Crap. I thought I was the only one. If my shoes or boots are not laced up left over right it drives me nuts. I have NOT grown my hair out. Gig line? Check! I still believe there is only one way, the Marine Corps way. Everything else is stupid. I've been out for 12 years. It feels like yesterday.

Anyone else find it physically impossible to sit indian style with your right leg over your left?

jon_in_wv
07-14-2006, 00:32
I still remember my combination from my paddle lock from boot. Jeez, maybe we are nuts. NAAAAHHHH.

glkdawg45
07-15-2006, 12:27
You kidding, I still have 2 out of the 3 locks that I was issued. I was on leave once, and they had to get some gear out of my wall locker, that had to be turned in. So they had to cut it off.:sad:

gunsite
07-15-2006, 16:32
Almost 40 years, and i still have to clean my weapon right after shooting it, cleaning it two days in a row, i eat fast, i line my belt buckle up, Iím very conscious of my foot wear, i don't wear baggy clothes, my shoes have to be shinny, my hair cut is still cut close around the ears and graduates in length to the top (3 inches), i don't wear a mustache or side burns and i shave everyday. Iím still a HURRY-UP type of guy and.... punctual.

jon_in_wv
07-19-2006, 21:55
After posting here the other day I looked on the net for pics of my old base at El Toro. I'll tell ya, it made me a little misty eyed. It looks so run down and barren. What really got me was the two blimp hangers at MCAS Tustin. If you have ever been inside of them, they are freakin awesome. They look weathered and one of them is going to be torn down. That sucks.

I was at El Toro 1992-1994. There were a LOT of good guys on that base. I learned more about how the world is SUPPOSED to work from the Marines on that base than from any other lesson in life. God Bless you all.

USMCSKI
07-21-2006, 00:33
I still wear a uniform (law enforcement) and my wife gets on me about being too "perfect"when I iron it.... I still use sta-flo!!

Been out 5 years and still remember my rifle serial # (6121504)

Occasionally call cadence.

For some reason I always end up finishing meals before anyone else I eat with.

Still have the same haircut.

Always 15 minutes prior to being 15 minutes prior.

Still have 2 of the 3 combo locks from bootcamp (a guy I was stationed with thought it would be funny to glue one shut)....I hadnt used them up until last weekend...I found them in my garage and I still remembered the combo!!!

Kingslayer
07-24-2006, 13:02
I catch myself all the time doing stuff like that.

My daughter was walking slow and I told her to get moving, then followed it with LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT!

I still align my belt with my fly also. I still lace my shoes that way. I always eat fast. Still got short hair even though I said I was going to grow it to my butt when I got out. I still take irish pennants off my clothes.

glkdawg45
07-24-2006, 16:48
Originally posted by Kingslayer
I catch myself all the time doing stuff like that.

My daughter was walking slow and I told her to get moving, then followed it with LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT!

I still align my belt with my fly also. I still lace my shoes that way. I always eat fast. Still got short hair even though I said I was going to grow it to my butt when I got out. I still take irish pennants off my clothes.

When I first got out, it was kind of easy to let my hair grow out. But then I'd change jobs, so I'd have to get it cut again. Started wearing "flattops" but too much up keep. So now I wait til it gets too long, and cut it "boot camp" style. :supergrin:

Kingslayer
08-04-2006, 10:40
Originally posted by glkdawg45
Started wearing "flattops" but too much up keep. So now I wait til it gets too long, and cut it "boot camp" style. :supergrin:

That's pretty much the path I've followed.

Trason
08-04-2006, 11:35
I miss the $3 haircut, now I pay $12 every 4 weeks. But it's still high, tight and flat.

USMCSKI
08-04-2006, 11:38
Originally posted by Trason
I miss the $3 haircut, now I pay $12 every 4 weeks. But it's still high, tight and flat.

My wife (whom I met while I was active duty) is a hair stylist....
I have not paid for a haircut in 5 years!!!

glkdawg45
08-05-2006, 11:11
Well, I knew I was about due. Finally went and got my hair cut today. It's amazing how a fresh "flattop" and a clean shave, can make you feel.

:supergrin:

Armorbearer
08-30-2006, 17:46
yep, I really didnt realize the things I did until I read this...gig line, haircut, laces, even shirt stays when I dress up... Its been 6 years. I dont think it will ever leave me. 96-00. 0351,8152,8154. Mcsfco Bangor, 29palms.

g27_mengi
09-04-2006, 07:05
Twelve years since I left. Good to read these posts...takes me back. Without repeating details, I share the same leftover habits, and probably always will. And why shouldn't I? The Corps' will always run in my blood. "God, Corps', and country", gents... Semper Fi.

F350
09-12-2006, 15:05
When I married wife #2 10 years ago I tried to keep quiet, but even after 20 years it drove me nuts if all my shirts were not hung up facing left (still does). A guy that works for me (prior army) says when walking down the hall he can always tell if I am behind him "'cause nobody sets their heels like a jar'". Gig line straight, shirt bloused at the sides, laces left over right (will relace brand new shoes and boots), still sometimes say "deck, head, skuttlebutt...." I keep the hair fairly short but have a full beard. AND if I get pi$$ed I can still turn the air blue.

USMC Ryfleman
09-12-2006, 16:10
7 years for me, I still play around and say moon beam and ink stick. Pad lock combos? 38-24-34 "SENIOR DRILL INSTRUCTOR STAFF SARGEANT LEFERD SIR" My platoon Sergeant in the fleet used to call us "pigs in human suits" and stupid MFs, god I miss those kind words!

wpdleo
09-13-2006, 22:08
It's been 8 years for me and I don't think I have ever said floor or ground. It's always the deck and it always will.

heat762
09-14-2006, 04:00
Originally posted by Armorbearer
yep, I really didnt realize the things I did until I read this...gig line, haircut, laces, even shirt stays when I dress up... Its been 6 years. I dont think it will ever leave me. 96-00. 0351,8152,8154. Mcsfco Bangor, 29palms.

Armorbearer......we chewed some of the same dirt.

3rd Platoon MCSFCO Bangor May 95-July 97

My old Squad Leader went back around 2004 as Co Gunny!!!!!

I am a cop now, and on patrol somedays....I can't get those guard orders out of my head!!!!!!

When someone asks me what I'm doing....I say...."walking my post in a military manner"!!!!!!!

check out www.bangor3rdherd.com

CAAT2
09-23-2006, 02:09
Been out for 9 years now and still eats fast! I would catch myself calling cadence when i'm working, running or by myself. Sings the Marine Corps hymm every now and then. Laces left over right.

2nd Batt. 7th Marines, WPNS Co, CAAT platoon (Combined Anti-armour Team) 29 Palms, California

oldman2
10-15-2006, 18:46
Its been thirty yrs. Still eat to fast. Drives my wifle crazy. Still keep my weapons clean as though I am going to have an inspection. Semper Fi brothers.The old man:thumbsup:

NetNinja
10-20-2006, 18:40
Been out 8 years.

Still Align my belt buckle.

Still have my 3 locks from boot camp and my Duffle bag.

I would have been retired last year if i stayed in.

Considering going Army Reserve. I miss it.

Cowgunner
10-28-2006, 19:53
It's been four years for me and I still eat fast, kept a straight gig linem, wear a high a tight, and I still remember my Rifle serial number 7302784.

Semper Gumby
11-08-2006, 21:28
Been out 13 yrs also. Still remember my rifle number, but have no clue what my current rifle number is, but I can assure you that its clean!

Hair still short, whats left of it.

Got carded buying beer and I told the girl that I had combat boots that were older than her.

Happy birthday devil dogs.

glkdawg45
11-27-2006, 19:32
Here's one for you all, kind of getting tired of all the junk on the radio, now a days.

Who likes to listen to cadence tapes while driving ? :animlol:

Dalton Wayne
11-27-2006, 19:51
Thank you all for your service.:thumbsup: :patriot:

gruntmedik
11-27-2006, 20:38
Originally posted by glkdawg45
Here's one for you all, kind of getting tired of all the junk on the radio, now a days.

Who likes to listen to cadence tapes while driving ? :animlol:

Guilty as charged. :supergrin:

silverado_mick
12-11-2006, 18:02
I've been out since june of this year (f-ing reservist ;) ) Does it get any easier or should I just get divorced now and go right back in? The guys at work rib me all the time about being 15 mintues prior to 15 minutes prior, creasing my BDU's (we wear black BDU's at my dept), and keeping my boots shined. I love being a cop, but I miss the hell out of the guys and being deployed.

PeterJasonMN
12-28-2006, 23:31
:shocked:

What's really scary is I never served a day in the military, but our "Uniform Officer" at LE School was a former USMC DI. In reading this thread I just realized I do the laces, gig line, blousing the shirts, creasing the pants/shirts, hair and a few other things too.

I can't walk a stretch of more than maybe 50 yards without giving myself a cadence, at least in my head.

My only caveat: Shaving. Come winter, I'm Grizzly Adams.