Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion

funbob
03-30-2006, 12:24
Who's playing it? I've only had it a few days and haven't gotten to play it for much more than an hour or two but so far I'm very impressed. Needs a high end computer to run with all the options turned on and I was having problems with my video card until I upgraded to the latest 84.25 nvidia divers but now that everything's running well, I'm having a blast. This is going to be many hours of gameplay.

Bikewer
03-31-2006, 17:17
Got a copy as soon as it became available; loved Morrowind.

Getting the thing to run well is a major topic of discussion on the official BBS, people with mid-range rigs like mine have to jump through many hoops. I'm ordering a better graphics card tonight!

Gameplay seems to be fine, though, and already the modders are at work with many tweaks and add-ons.

funbob
04-01-2006, 13:19
This is the first game that makes my rig feel somewhat inadequate. Guess it'll be a good excuse for those SLI 7900GTX's I've been drooling over :supergrin: .

jason10mm
04-03-2006, 05:11
Got it for my 360, no graphical issues AT ALL :P
Only one lock-up after 16 odd hours of play, the only lock up I've ever had on the 360.

The flexibility and depth of this game is amazing. I'e heard of guys playing it for 25 hours and never even starting the main quest. I wouldn't wait that long because there is some nice stuff in the main quest so far.

I wish some features were better documented, like enchanting weapons and stuff. This is one game where the strategy guide probably really helps. The persuade mini-game was particularly obtuse at first, as is the fact that you have to max out peoples dispositions to get them to give you quest info at times.

fastvfr
04-28-2006, 22:29
I made it through the Oblivion Gate segment of the game with both the Mage's and Fighter's Guild rankings of like Novice whilst having attained Grandmaster of the Thieve's Guild and owner of Nocturnal's hood, hence owner of the Dark Brotherhood...AND Champion.

Not too shabby, and the map is just now becoming totally explored after nearly 100 hours of gameplay. There sure are lots of caves, mines, shrines and ruins out there!

This is a far cry from games like Half Life 2 and, well, Far Cry, where they take about 5 hours to beat the second time through...honestly, this title did a good job of capturing what its predecessor was--but it changed a few of the things I really LIKED about Morrowind, which irks me to no end.

Like the map toggle being hidden in the Journal...duh. Hotkey, anyone? Why is there no option for a hotkey for the map?!

And why can't I map my MMB to the Use function? That HAS to be a keyboard keyed function, huh? TESIII sure wasn't that way...and that was LOADS handier IMNSHO.

At least there aren't the incessant hesitations at map square junctures I saw in TESIII ...just lots of Loading Area warning labels popping up here.

And why no Scroll of Windwalker, letting you FLY at about 200MPH in total invisibility?! Now, THAT was cool. And I sure missed it in this title, let me tell you...though TESIII coulda used some Fast Travel that didn't involve any sort of silly Intervention whisking you back to a temple.

That isn't all...it also gets repetitious. There were apparently about 4 different interior designers in ancient Cyrodiiil who specialized in dungeons, and the 500 or so underground crypts were all done by them. Union rules, presumably.

At any rate, when you go exploring in three adjacent tunnels in Oblivion it is no different than just exploring one, since the beasts and the treasures are not keyed to a scaled, structured system of rewards. OH NO. Not even D&D:E rules pertain here.

Instead, it is just based on your character's level. Oh, and another thing...that mysterious old chest with the Very Hard Lock you just found hidden deep in the shadows at the very back of the Boss's lair has only a Tan Jug and an Hourglass in it.

It appears that in Tamriel, as in most other corners of the Realm, Quicksave is your friend...

Whooo...gotta go play it. Later.

kswiss2783
04-30-2006, 15:00
This is a naive question, but what is the game about?

Bikewer
04-30-2006, 17:23
The official site:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/games/oblivion_overview.htm

It's the fourth in the Elder Scrolls series from Bethesda. These are first-person RPGs, no multiplayer, no "turn-based" combat, etc.
The last two , Morrowind (and it's expansions) and Oblivion feature very free-form gameplay where you can do pretty much what you want in a large area full of cities, dungeons, tombs, nasty critters, nastier humans and other races, etc.
You can (like in most RPGs) specialize in being a warrior, thief, mage, or whatever. There's a sort of continuing storyline through the games, but each is pretty much a stand-alone.

Anthony k
11-23-2006, 06:07
p

Hickeroar
12-14-2006, 10:31
I heard from one person that a friend of his has started three separate characters and has invested over 250 hours in the game over those three characters...and still has more stuff to play with...