USS Oscar Austin (DDG 79) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : USS Oscar Austin (DDG 79)

et2mdo
03-31-2006, 13:12
A few weeks ago I started a thread here asking for input on where I should go. Ship selection for me has come and gone this past week, and I now know that I will be reporting to the USS Oscar Austin (DDG 79) out of Norfolk, VA.

After talking to my advisor, I decided that a destroyer would be the best choice for me. I would prefer a smaller crew on a ship with the newest technology, so a destroyer was almost a perfect fit. Needless to say, all of the destroyers out of the nicer homeports (i.e., Pearl Harbor, San Diego, Yokosuka) were taken within the first few selections. Fortunatley, when it was my turn to choose, there were still several DDG's out of Norfolk left, and DDG 79 is what I chose.

I'm looking forward to getting on the ship. I have heard nothing but good about the ship, her captain, and her crew.

DHansen
03-31-2006, 20:22
Wow, small Navy. I just left the OSA in September, right before deployment. Looking at your username - I'll assume you're an ET. Whelp, so am I. I was there for 4 years, knew all the plankowners, and ran the comms workcenter before I left.

Your EMO is top notch, lots of great people still there. If you've never been to sea, you've made a great choice.

PM me if you want more info.

Navy87Guy
04-02-2006, 14:42
Actually, I'm guessing that you're coming out the NROTC program at Tech. OSA is a great ship, although you're timing is a bit unfortunate. They just got back from deployment so it will be a while before they head out again. You're right about DDGs being the perfect size. You'll get plenty of exposure, experience and responsibility right from the start.

I'd take exception with your classification of the "nicer homeports" -- Norfolk is a great place to be. I'm always glad that there are other people who want San Diego and Pearl Harbor..that means I usually don't have a hard time getting Norfolk.

Sorry I missed your earlier thread --- I would have told you what the best DDG on the watefront is!

Jim

et2mdo
04-02-2006, 19:36
Navy87Guy:

Va Tech NROTC is correct, my friend. Did I post that on here before?

When I said "nicer ports" I was really speaking out of personal preference. Norfolk was not my first choice of homeports. I was born and raised in Virginia (although on the side opposite Norfolk) and would have preferred to go see other places.

And I did notice that the OSA had just got back from deployment... although it was after I had selected the ship. I did NOT want on a ship just getting off deployment and going into dry dock. Fortunately, it will be quite a while before I get to the ship and it should be out of dry dock. I won't commission until August, and my orders might be getting delayed after commissioning because my wife is pregnant and can't travel. We'll have to wait and see on that one.

DHansen:

It is a small Navy, no doubt. Didn't really think there would be any OSA sailors on here.

My enlisted rating is ET2, you're right. But I don't remember the first thing about basic electricity! I was actually a nuke ET, a completely different type. I was picked up for STA-21 ECP a few years ago, so I'll be reporting as a big bad Enswine when I finally make it to the ship. Glad to hear that you have good things to say about it!