What the _ is he thinking!?! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What the _ is he thinking!?!

berlin_brigade
04-07-2006, 20:11
Dear BoG Friends,

My husband thinks that I should get a 9mm Kimber 1911, just because I didn't like shooting his .45 ACP last time we were at the range. He's so old school! :upeyes:

We keep arguing about this. All he keeps saying is"Steel is real, steel is real." And I say "Lead is dead, it doesn't matter where it comes from!":supergrin:

I still think I'm gonna get a G19. What do you think?

Kiddo
04-07-2006, 20:37
IMO, get whichever you shoot better and feel comfortable with. No point in getting a gun which doesn't fit you. If possible, shoot both side by side then decide. :)

horge
04-07-2006, 20:46
http://i2.tinypic.com/t846ft.jpg

:supergrin:

-horge

paltiq
04-07-2006, 22:29
if you will try to shoot a 1911 format in 9mm caliber in "group theraphy" (bullseye shooting) 1911 will win because of the superb trigger pull (2 lbs? )

versus the 3.5 lbs trigger pull & short barrel of the glock19:supergrin: maybe im Old school too:cool:

MiGalley
04-07-2006, 22:43
+1 horge

A 9mm 1911? That's one of those things that's just wrong. :kidding:

Tell him that if he insists on a JMB design, then you want a respectable pistol--the way John Moses intended it--a Browning P35 Hi-Power, and make him feel the pain by demanding that he get you one made in Belgium (even though the new ones assembled in Portugal are great if not, arguably, better guns).

I agree with Kiddo, too. While your husband and those who worship with him at the altar of John M. Browning may swear by their 1911s, there are plenty of others who swear at their 1911s.

That said, a well-tuned 1911 in 9mm is one soft shooting, sweet pistol. Very little recoil and much easier to shoot when compared to the same gun in .45 ACP or .38 Super.

MiG

Django
04-08-2006, 00:43
He dreams of having a 9mm 1911 and had been looking for an excuse to buy one. Now he's got a good one. :devilishgrin:

Allegra
04-08-2006, 03:13
Your husband is correct :)

berlin_brigade
04-08-2006, 18:47
Thanks to all for your perspectives. You got me thinking that maybe I'm being too close-minded. So today I went to the local gun shop to handle a few government models just for kicks (so to speak). The ones I tried were mainly 1911s by Colt, Kimber, and Springfield, mostly .45. I also looked at 9mms in Browning and H&K. And of course,just to compare, I handled the G19. With all of them, I did some dry firing but mostly check for feel, balance, and grip.

First, I realized that maybe I am "old school" after all. I found that I liked the feel of steel, and pulling back a hammer reminds me of when I was a kid with those toy cap guns.:rollsmiley:

Second, I have become enamored of the H&K 9mm. It's like what you get if a 1911/government model and a Glock had a baby. Sweet marriage of plastic and steel. Nice fat body and grip, smooth movement and easy handling. Plus, I really liked the external safety - something that is lacking in a Glock (which bothers me). The one I tried was also the most discreet of the bunch. I am only 5'3 and small framed (but normal sized hands), and the full-sizes are going to be pretty obvious on the hip.

Finally - this is heresy - I don't know about the G19 anymore. After holding all the others, I went back to try it and it felt kind of weird. Too light. Maybe "plastic is too drastic?":worried:

Anyway, I'd like to go to the range to test a few of these, side by side. Probably the HK, Kimber and Browning - both 9mm and .45. Whatever I get, I believe it has to work for me both for fun shoots and self-protection.

Do you have any words of wisdom or experience with any of these lines? For example, I heard that the HK 9mm sometimes jam. But don't all guns have the potential to do that?:eyebrow:

nrmcolt
04-08-2006, 23:39
a P39 Hi-Power...

Sir, di ba Browning Hi-Power is P-35? Or am I missing something here? :supergrin:

:beer:

Chie
04-09-2006, 00:10
Originally posted by Kiddo
IMO, get whichever you shoot better and feel comfortable with. No point in getting a gun which doesn't fit you. If possible, shoot both side by side then decide. :)

+1 :supergrin:

Blitzer
04-09-2006, 01:26
IMO: When carring a sidearm all day the Glocks are so much sweeter, if shooting one all day the 1911 or HKs are nicer.

Alexii
04-09-2006, 01:39
Originally posted by berlin_brigade
For example, I heard that the HK 9mm sometimes jam. But don't all guns have the potential to do that?:eyebrow:

Just avoid subsonic 9mm ammo and I think the HK would be fine. For the HK lineup, check the double action pull first if it suits you. Most complaints against the HK USP series is the DA pull. They came up with the LEM unit which is supposed to be an improved DA system, but I don't have first hand experience with this.

Kiddo
04-09-2006, 01:59
Or you could just go cocked and locked with the HK. If your hands are small, try the compact ones or maybe the P2000 aside from the USP. With the P2000, you can customize its grip since the backstrap is replacable and comes with 3 or 4 (not sure) different sizings. :)

wunder9
04-09-2006, 02:56
Dont let yourself get sidetracked, get the G-19.

jasonub
04-09-2006, 04:54
had an hk usp in 9mm and shot around 10,000 rounds before i sold it. No jams or any problems. Got an HK USP in 45 acp and shot double of what i did on the 9mm version and again boringly accurate and no jams.

Then i got to shoot a tuned 1911. I shot a lot of pistols, g19 included. sigs hks berrettas etc. I still love the 1911 more than any of those pistols.

IF i were going to get another pistol for carry, ill go back to the hk and shoot my 1911 in competitions.

though i may get a single stack in 10mm for carry. No glock or hk or sig that you get out of the box will out shoot a tuned 1911. IMHO. :)

wingz
04-09-2006, 22:54
[QUOTE]Originally posted by berlin_brigade Whatever I get, I believe it has to work for me both for fun shoots and self-protection.

Do you have any words of wisdom or experience with any of these lines?

since its for fun shoots and self protection as you said, you better have a gun that gotta serve both purposes. you also must be specific with what kind of fun shoots you would like to join into. same with self protection, are you planning for a CCW or a house gun, things like that. these basic personal pre-buying questions must be met. jasonub was right about his comparisson of out of the box gun and tuned 1911s, it's like choosing between a new hybrid electric powered car and an old corvette powered by a twin jet turbo engine. that's for the performance. IMHO i'll go with the JMB's.:cool:

Kiddo
04-09-2006, 23:54
Wingz is right. If you are going to carry it, then you should lean more to polymer guns like Glocks (if you like a constant safe action trigger), HK USPc (if you like cocked and locked) or P2000 (if you like DA/SA/LEM and changing backstraps). If its just for the home, then a steel 1911 will do fine. :)

cebuboy
04-10-2006, 05:37
hey what about a wheelgun? a snub is a good carry piece, you can shoot it while its still inside your coat pocket:)

infinitecolt
04-10-2006, 06:05
Originally posted by cebuboy
hey what about a wheelgun? a snub is a good carry piece, you can shoot it while its still inside your coat pocket:)

Funny. I prefer dishing it out of my pocket and shooting some bad guy with it. I don't want to mess my clothes.

cebuboy
04-10-2006, 06:10
hehe thats just for extreme close quarters emergency:supergrin:

MiGalley
04-10-2006, 17:41
Originally posted by berlin_brigade
Dear BoG Friends,

My husband thinks that I should get a 9mm Kimber 1911, just because I didn't like shooting his .45 ACP last time we were at the range. He's so old school! :upeyes:

We keep arguing about this. All he keeps saying is"Steel is real, steel is real." And I say "Lead is dead, it doesn't matter where it comes from!":supergrin:

I still think I'm gonna get a G19. What do you think?

berlin_brigade:

If 1911s are indeed "all-that," then ask your husband to explain this:

"Bond . . . James Bond" (circa '53-'64, when Bond was a "real man"--uh-ehm) repeatedly saved the world (the entire world, the whole thing) with, first, a Beratta 418 and, later, a Walther PPK. Well. at least that's how it happened in Flemming's books. So much for the "matter of size" (no pun intended).

Remember The X-Files? All the GLOCKS, all the time. I mean, agents Mulder and Scully fought REAL space aliens and everything, EVERY WEEK--and they WON! Scully and Mulder won, I mean. Sheesh. Well, at least most of the time. Or so it seemed. . . . Hmmmmm. . . .

Finally, on 6 November 2001 Jack Bauer picked up his trusty Sig P229 and began his noble quest to save the Free World and good people everywhere from the forces of darkness and evil. He has since seen the light (insert angel voices), and armed himself with an HK USPc. Again, If 1911s were truly "brought down from the mountain" on the second trip (a different Moses brought us the Commandments on the first trip), then Keifer--I mean JACK!--uh . . . ya . . . Jack would be using a blued Gov't Model with a dancing horsey on it to save us one and all, one hour at a time, every Monday night--instead of that HK wondergun.

FWIW: Jack Bauer killed 93 people in 96 hours. 93 in just 4 days! Is it Jack, or is it the USP? Hmmmm. . . . (Check out his stats at <http://www.v-rodforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=392945#post392945>)

I'm just saying. . . . LOL

(KIDDING! I'M KIDDING! REALLY!)

Get the one that make you grin, the one that whispers "I'm the one" when you pick it up.

But SERIOUSLY, . . .

Here's a link to an interesting thread and photo that "old school" will appreciate. <http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=140667>

1. He, he, he, he . . . Those Jarheads are shooting a weapon system that is 95 years old. Oh those Marines! They are such sticklers for tradition!

Hmmmmmm . . . I guess that's the only point.

(Semper Fi!)

berlin_brigade
04-10-2006, 17:53
MiGalley - that is SO COOL! Thank you for sharing that link ^ above.:cool:

http://www.marines.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20051018224343/$file/MCNEWSpistollow.jpg
Philippine force reconnaissance Marines fire on targets using M1911A1 .45 caliber pistols while U.S. recon Marines observe and assist at Clark Air Base Oct. 18. Service members with Philippine Air Force and Marine Corps trained with the U.S. Marines with Deep Reconnaissance Platoon, 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit. The live-fire training is part of the bilateral exercise Talon Vision.
Photo by: Sgt. Mike Camacho

BIG pic http://www.marines.mil/marinelink/im...-9336C-004.jpg

Hey - I think I just saw my brother! (No, he's NOT one of the US "advisors") he he he he

MiGalley
04-10-2006, 18:12
Originally posted by nrmcolt
Sir, di ba Browning Hi-Power is P-35? Or am I missing something here? :supergrin:

:beer:

LOL @ me!

Yes, nrmcolt, it is indeed the P-35. I have no idea where that came from.

"DOH!" :homer:

3 for you :beer: :beer: :beer:, and one for me. :beer:

Thanks!

MiG