My little pony went to IDPA today :) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My little pony went to IDPA today :)

Cat91
04-09-2006, 12:32
Yes, you read that right. I went to an IDPA match and ran it with my Colt Detective Special! We're still looking for holsters for the .44 and we haven't a good source of .44 Spl ammo yet, so....I took my little pony instead.

What a blast. I was one of a whole two revolver shooters there, surrounded by Glocks and Kimbers and Springfields and H&Ks. And mine was the only Colt revolver :D . And I had the shortest barrel length on the range at 2", puny compared to the average 4-5" around me. I was the poster girl for "the Old School!" And yes, a DS is good for Stock Service Revolver because it has a 6 round cylinder.

I did better with it than I EVER did with my former Glock 23 I got rid of earlier this year. All that revolver training back in my LEO days paid off big time (I've never had formal automatic pistol training for defensive shooting other than in the military 20 years ago). I even nailed three steel poppers at like 20 yards with ONE SHOT EACH!! Woooohoo! With the Glock I'd have gone through a whole magazine on ONE of them, I just know it, I can't shoot an auto-pistol for crap. And even though I had to reload twice as often as everyone else I'm still more comfortable with HKS speedloaders than I was switching off magazines. Plus...no tactical reloads with a revolver. Gotta love that.

I ought to grab an old Police Positive Special for this stuff ;) for the extra two inches of barrel length. I'm never going back to automatics again for this kind of shooting, the wheelies are way more fun for me, I've a comfort zone with them under pressure that I just don't have with an automatic. The moral of this story is: Go with what you know.

Miao, Cat

Lynn D
04-09-2006, 12:38
Cat -

Sounds like you and :horse: had a great time!. Congrats. I'm doubtful that I could ever compete with a revolver. Don't own one yet, but that will change with time.

Our club had IDPA this morning, but I've been a bit sleep deprived lately, and thought the idea of staying in bed late a little bit better. I'll have to give the May match a try. For all I know, it might be outside.

Glad you had fun!

Lynn

Mrs. VR
04-09-2006, 14:52
:woohoo: Sounds like it was FUN! You know, if you enjoy it, why the heck not? :banana:

tous
04-09-2006, 15:05
Ma'am, a good source for .44 Special cartridges is a Lee Loadmaster in your garage. :cow: :cow:

IDPA sure is fun. :bluesbrothers: :bluesbrothers:

Cat91
04-09-2006, 16:07
Originally posted by tous
Ma'am, a good source for .44 Special cartridges is a Lee Loadmaster in your garage. :cow: :cow:

(giggle) I'd probably blow our gun up!! I feel safer buying commercial. I really don't trust us with making ammunition-I prefer to leave that ro the professionals. At the indoor range we practice at they have this humongous Ruger Super Redhawk that somebody goofed with one of these Dillon progressive presses on, and double-charged a .44 Magnum round.

It's in like five pieces. A RUGER. He blew it up like a big dog ! :shocked:

We love our .44, but the M29 is notorious for not being as strong as the Ruger is. And it's irreplaceable-I think they made like 200 of them in 1985, in .44 Magnum like ours. I don't want to take the chance.

Miao, Cat

Walter45Auto
04-14-2006, 11:28
Cool! See, Wheelguns still have their place.

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal: