Question for Iraq vets [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question for Iraq vets

BushmasterM4A3
04-10-2006, 15:17
Has anybody seen the movie by michael moore called farenheit 911? If you did what did you think about it? Me personally I felt like it was a slap in the face. It was the part where it showed me and my friends in the 3rd Infantry Division (the square diagonal patch) acting like pyschopaths. My face wasnt shown on the movie, but the guy silhoueted by the fire (misspell) was my friend. It seemed to only show the bad. It didnt show the good stuff like peaple cheering and shaking our hands and saying thank you soldier. When I was leaving the movie theater I had a t shirt on with my 3rd ID patch on and i kept getting nasty looks and had to leave fast cuz I thought I would get mugged.

Another thing is the news. How do you feel when you see liberal media bashing the war on the tv? Does it ever make you wonder if you did the right thing? I feel I did the right thing but it is hard when all they show is the bad and when peaple ask me about iraq I speak the truth about what I saw and I end up hearing "opinions". I find myself living life in a rage because I find my efforts in Iraq are being downplayed by the bleeding hearts in the media. Sometimes I feel like it is the 60s all over again but there is no spitting at the airports it is now the "awww poor little terrorist" mindset of the media making us look bad. Anybody else feel the same way?

RussP
04-10-2006, 21:49
Originally posted by BushmasterM4A3 ...Me personally I felt like it was a slap in the face.

...Another thing is the news. How do you feel when you see liberal media bashing the war on the tv?

...Anybody else feel the same way? [/B]BushmasterM4A3, I am a Vietnam Vet...I have a son who fought in Desert Storm. Another just returned from OIF. I have a very good friend who is a private contractor in Iraq. You are not alone.

Keep your head held high. When you feel the rage, write it down, maybe in a journal. For every bad thing written, rewrite it in that journal with your own experiences, or at least how you know it was. I've done that here on GT a few times myself.

There are those of us who did it before you, in our own way, and we are very proud of what you and your fellow Warriors did and are still doing. Just keep the pride...you earned it. We earned it.

No one can ever take it away. It lives in your heart and your soul. Just remember to pass it on...

RussP
USAF

fnfalman
04-11-2006, 15:47
Just think of it this way: who gives a damn what others think about you and yours? You did your duties to your country and lived up to your oaths. You protected your comrades-in-arms.

That's all that matters.

How the war became, how it was waged, what the end results will be are out of your hands. Some people love you, some people hate you. Some people appreciate your efforts, some people thinks that you're a baby killer.

It don't mean nuthin'.

You did your duties. Enough said.

Did you do the right thing? Well, ask yourself if you had violated the Rules of Land Warfare, the Code of Conduct, the UCMJ. If you didn't then you did the right thing.

Was the war the right thing? That's really not up for you to decide. And once again, who cares? Sure, it would be nice if everybody thinks that you did good, that your cause was just. But that's not the way life is.

It don't mean nuthin'.

It means something to you and it means something to your buddies. That's all that should matter.

Linh40
04-12-2006, 23:25
Yeah when I was in Iraq was too busy to watch the news but when I got back to the states it seems like the media made the whole war look negative like we were there and didn't know what we were doing. The only thing the media show are all mostly negative, they rarely show us helping the iraqi and building facilities for them. I bet 90% of the US population don't know that we pay some/most (depends on location and funds) iraqi around 2k dollar if a family member died whether it was an accident or an insurgent killed them.

I just got out and we're suppose to get like 5 pts for being a vet and we're suppose to get hired first by the government been a month now and no one called. I don't think there are that many vets applying for the same jobs as me. Send my resume to non gov jobs and since most of my time was in Iraq I listed it and place down what I did and still no calls.

EDITED: as for that 9/11 show I knew that he already was aganist the war/Bush and I didn't bother watching it.

MrMurphy
04-13-2006, 01:20
That movie was heavily edited and not very well edited.

I'm currently USAF SF, overseas (USAFE), and formerly, a senior staff photographer for an NBC affiliate, so I'm used to dealing with the media crowd.

Don't let them get to you.

Linh40
04-14-2006, 00:38
Originally posted by MrMurphy

Don't let them get to you.

They already got the civilian under their fingertip. It's too late the media already took over. Most people believe the media without double checking on their own.

NDGlock
04-17-2006, 13:04
http://www.defendamerica.mil/index.html

jmshady
04-19-2006, 21:35
I watched that BS in Iraq. The only thing that I took away from it is that fat **** is pushing his own political agenda. It is not a "documentary" in anyway. Just a small minded fat asses opinion that doesn't matter.

USDefender
04-21-2006, 13:12
I'd like to see Michael Moore go to Iraq and play 'human shield' with his terrorist friends... http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/waffen/violent-smiley-105.gif

Jafo2001
05-03-2006, 22:05
I was in the first war. My job as a medic was taking care of POW's and the local residents. We had a lot of time to talk to everyone that came through. I heard all kinds of horror stories. I saw towns that were destroyed, bodies of kids, and other horrors. My unit was shot at and when one of the Scud's fell outside our camp all the chemical alarms went off.

When I got back, I was contacted by a reporter from NPR. I spent almost an hour relating everything that my unit and done and the things that I saw. She asked about Gulf War Syndrome and when I told her that the only ones in my unit that had come down with it were the same ones that were constantly gone from work even before the war, the interview was over. She told me that not only was I lying about the Gulf War Syndrome but that all the things I "allege" Sadams troops did were actually done by US troops. She stated she knew the truth and no smear campaign by Bush lackeys was going to convince her otherwise.

Needless to say, my opinion of reporters and their objectivity was tainted for life.

hi speed
05-03-2006, 22:46
I was frustrated at first after seeing the potrayal of myself and other vets. Then I realized there was nothing trivial about the job I did there. I followed the lawful orders of my command and I made it back alive. What we know as truth will forever only be known by us. Onlookers haven't a clue!

War is hell and there really are no real victors. There are those who survived, those that didn't, and those that did not participate.Cowardly use of free speech to denounce those who preserve your right to do so is hypocritical and unethical at best. Consider the source of your concern and you'll have your own answer.

Best of luck to you

Hi Speed