m14 gunsmith? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : m14 gunsmith?

paltiq
04-12-2006, 20:34
meron po ba kayo kilala gunsmith ng M14? services like replacing old barrels,etc..

please help.

tnx po.

:)

Glock_19_9x19
04-12-2006, 20:54
Try Aquila Firearms in Harrison Plaza. They used to sell m-14/m-1 garands and do gunsmithing as well.
Here's their site: http://www.aquilafaa.com/Products/Firearms.htm

isuzu
04-13-2006, 17:02
Originally posted by paltiq
meron po ba kayo kilala gunsmith ng M14? services like replacing old barrels,etc..

please help.

tnx po.

:)

Is the barrel of your M14 already beat up? The standard M14 comes with a chromelined barrel while the sniper models come with chromemoly(non-chromed)or stainless air gauged barrels, supposedly for enhanced accuracy. It is said that chromelining a barrel produces imperfections in the rifling.

Be very careful with gunsmiths that do not have the proper tools for M14 barrel, front sight and flash hider removal and installation. These parts could be damaged if the proper tools are not used.

paltik45
04-13-2006, 21:40
Sir matanong ko lang po yung dahilan ninyo kung bakit papalitan ninyo yung barrel? Did you check the chamber with a "NO GO" gauge & a throat errosion gauge(erroded na ba)? Did you check the shot pattern in 100meters range(key hole shots)? Does your M14 been used in full auto most of the time? If your answer is YES to most of the questions above then change it. If you will put in an excelent condition or very good condition barrel that wouldn't be a problem (if you can find one there). Because it will index itself to the reciever but be sure to check it with a "GO" & "NO GO" gauge. Too short of a chamber can cause a "slam fire" or worst a case blowout which is not fun if your rifle is just a few inches infront of your face.
I've worked on several M-1A's(civilian semi-auto M-14) including changing a barrel and bedding the receiver. It is easy to do but you need some special tools like castle nut pliers, barrel vice and receiver wrench. I used to have a Norinco and a POLYTECH M-1A but I sold it because of my plans to move to California...bawal kasi doon. I hope this helps:) .

PS. send me a PM if you got some questions I will be glad to help kabayan. Magakano nga pala score mo dyan? Meron pa bang kapatid yan?:supergrin:

isuzu
04-14-2006, 09:48
Paltik,

How does a Norinco M1A perform compared to the US brands? I read an article about the Norinco M1As having failures/slam fires in the early 90's. The article was inserted in a Springfield Armory catalog.

akula
04-21-2006, 06:45
Originally posted by Glock_19_9x19
Try Aquila Firearms in Harrison Plaza. They used to sell m-14/m-1 garands and do gunsmithing as well.
Here's their site: http://www.aquilafaa.com/Products/Firearms.htm
Anyone dealt with Aquila before? Their site shows that they also sell HP rifles -- Armalite, Bushmaster, Springfield...

paltik45
04-21-2006, 17:47
Originally posted by isuzu
Paltik,

How does a Norinco M1A perform compared to the US brands? I read an article about the Norinco M1As having failures/slam fires in the early 90's. The article was inserted in a Springfield Armory catalog.

Sorry for the late reply mga kabayan. I just got back from a week long seminar. Well I have an option to buy the Springfield armory (inc.) But with all the homework and research I opted for the Norinco/POLYTECH route. As we all know FORGED ordnance steel ang ginagamit ng china. The US made m1A by springfield Armory Inc. is cast and it is completely different from the Gov. arsenal SPRINGFIELD ARMORY. The later made the M-14 and M-21 sniper rifle and all of thier receivers are forged. I've seen the photo of the blown out sprigfield armory inc. M1a and I think the rifle owner died. The photo was confirmed true but what happened to the owner was not confirmed. After I saw that photo I decided to get the Norinco and POLYTECH m-1A.

Sir Paltiq if you have any questions on the gunsmithing part just send me a PM and I will help you as much as I can.:supergrin:

Wp.22
04-22-2006, 04:11
if you are looking for an M14 this one is for sale. check the link. It is not an airsoft it is a real steel.

http://www.filairsoft.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5764

isuzu
04-22-2006, 11:12
My observations on the M14 being sold. I think the muzzle brake is an unecessary part considering it will be used as a sniping rifle. The original flash hider would suffice. Lots of people that have precision rifles don't have muzzle brakes on them. It is believed that turbulence created by the muzzle brake when the bullet exits the barrel can affect accuracy. One of the advantage of the assault weapons ban in the US (before the law was grandfathered) was that firearms manufacturers were not allowed to place flash hiders (and later were allowed to put flash hiders that were permanently attached to the barrel). The firearms manufacturers were able to crown their ARs well and without the flash hider (which is also thought to create turbulence), the result is a more accurate rifle.

Winchester was just one of the firearms manufacturers that were given a contract to make M14s. Others include Springfield Armory and TRW/Diamond. Their performance is almost the same. Lots of Winchesters in the AFP inventory.

Springfield Armory barrels usually have an NM prefix on them. If it's an air-gauged, non-chromed barrel, it's an accurate barrel as long as it was properly installed.

paltik45
04-22-2006, 11:57
I agree with Isuzu, the muzzle brake was inplemented during the assult weapons ban here in the USA. IMHO the muzle brake has no place in the real tactical world except for the big .50cal sniper rifles. It will increase the blast signiture at night and dust during daytime. It is more of a liability than an improvement in the real world. Where as the "flash Hider" as the name implies will lessen the blast signature and it wont jeopardise your position. I have tried the NM M-14 flash hider and the Vortex flash hider. The later works pretty good and I think kayang gayahin dyan sa atin ng mga local smiths. Lastly, for my kababayans that's into M-14 rifle if you guys have a chance to get "The U.S. 30CAL. GAS OPERATED SERVICE RIFLES" vol.I & II by Jerry Kuhnhausen . It is very informative and lots of gunsmithing info and Specs for the M1-Garand and the M-14 rifles. I hope this helps.:cool:

isuzu
04-22-2006, 13:31
Paltik45,

The Vortex was copied in Bacolod by a Bacolod gunsmith. They had the equipment, and it sure was a hit with M16 users. The original and the copy were tested on 16" barreled M16s, and there was no noticeable difference in the muzzle blast.

I'm not sure if the gunsmithing shop in Iloilo copied it also. They have CNC equipment, and the specs would be more accurate.

This is illegal since it infringes on patent laws.

paltiq
04-22-2006, 21:39
maganda daw ng ayung vortex sa m14 compared sa orig. dahil madalas ay nawawala sa alignment yung orig. flashhider, compared sa screw-on na vortex....pwede pang lagyan ng tambutso:shocked:

isuzu
04-23-2006, 10:31
Originally posted by paltiq
maganda daw ng ayung vortex sa m14 compared sa orig. dahil madalas ay nawawala sa alignment yung orig. flashhider, compared sa screw-on na vortex....pwede pang lagyan ng tambutso:shocked:

I guess there's something wrong with how the original flash hider on the M14 you mentioned was installed, that's why it goes out of alignment. Most M14s I shot didn't have a problem with regards to flash hiders.

There is a danger with a misaligned flash hider. The bullet exiting the barrel could catch the tip of the flash hider and could do damage to the gun. Again, there are special tools to remove and install an M14 flash hider. They're available at www.springfield-armory.com.