45 ACP or 45 GAP? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 45 ACP or 45 GAP?

Punisher_nbi45
04-16-2006, 10:02
Hello BOGs,

One thing I really like about this forum is the amount of intelligent opinions/answers/suggestions that I get out of the BOG crew that really helps me make informed decisions.

With that, I want to ask you guys that if you were limited to either the .45 acp or .45 gap, which would you choose and why?

Because I am a big guy and I can handle it, my current carry gun is a Para Ordnance 45. I have never found any reason to doubt the .45 ACP cartridge, especially after researching it and having been able to shoot my pistol before adopting it.

Keep in mind, though, I have never tried to shoot a .45 gap and am trying to keep an open mind. Personally, though, I am still trying to figure out how the .45 gap could be considered an improvement over the .45 acp in terms of accuracy, reliability, performance, etc. I can see how it would help introduce the .45 caliber bullet to a larger spectrum due to the fact that you could fit the bullet in a smaller-sized gun, but other than that, I would rather stick with the original.

For the knowledgeable BOGs with more experience than me, have any of you ever tried shooting the .45 gap? How does it compare in terms of accuracy, smoothness of cycling, etc., with the .45 acp? Will you trade up to the .45 gap if there is more than a significant increase in terms of performance over the .45 acp?

Thank you all for your comments, answers, opinions, etc. I would like to state that I do not wish to muddle the issue or start any sort of flame wars, I just wanted to get a general idea of what the BOG community thinks about this new round. In the end, I'm still sticking by the .45 acp for reasons more that are too many to mention here.

Take care to all BOGs, and have a happy vacation!:cool:

isuzu
04-16-2006, 10:26
I base my choice of caliber with these criteria:

1. Ammo availability in a certain area.
2. Being able to handle the gun in that ammo.
3. Performance.

In the Philippines, I think the .45 ACP is more available than the .45 GAP. Although, tests done by Glock claim that the .45 GAP's performance equals or surpasses the .45 ACP's performance, I'm a bit skeptical unless we see actual results, and the best way to tell of this performance is time.

Glock was instrumental in the development of the .45 GAP, that's why I'm very cautious of their claim. They would, of course try to promote the ammo to increase the sale of their Glock 37, 38 and 39 models.

My ammo of choice are still 9mm, .38 Super and .45 ACP in that order.

Happy Easter!

Vault Keeper
04-16-2006, 19:16
+1 sir...

As most members would agree, practice makes perfect. Availability wise, 45GAP vs .45ACP, mas marami talaga ang .45ACP. I have yet to feel and touch a .45 GAP... :laughing:

Allegra
04-16-2006, 19:28
inggit lang si glock kasi may 357SIG

Alexii
04-16-2006, 20:36
I haven't seen a .45GAP handgun locally. Like anything newly introduced, I'd like to let others take that 'shakedown cruise' and have all the bugs worked out first.

Like isuzu said, ammo availability would be one of the criteria. In the Philippines, .45ACP and 9mm reign supreme.

Kiddo
04-17-2006, 04:34
IMO, as the other guys mentioned, ammo availability is quite poor for the .45GAP. It would be better to stick with the original .45ACP where you can find anywhere from military surplus FMJs to quality hollowpoints.

Like Allegra said, nainggit lang si Gaston Glock dahil merong .357SIG. Hehe.

atmarcella
04-17-2006, 04:46
not to mention .40S&W:)

infinitecolt
04-17-2006, 05:38
Originally posted by Allegra
inggit lang si glock kasi may 357SIG

Agreed wholeheartedly on this one. Gaston Glock just wanted his name on an ammo to achieve a certain "immortality."

I guess I'd pass on this one since i don't see anything wrong with a .45ACP as my defensive ammo. Availability of the .45ACP is also without a doubt, abundant.

Another point is, there are many ammos that are tried and tested -9mm, .40, 45ACP,.357. Point here is why would I bother getting another type of ammo? Will i gain any comptitive advantage? Will it make me shoot better?

Well, if a gun is to be given to me for FREE by Gaston in .45GAP, I think I'll just sell the gun and go get another in the caliber that is more popular. Just my .02