Are Toyota's generally reliable? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Are Toyota's generally reliable?

hankhan
04-19-2006, 00:33
I've never owned a car from Japan - with the exception of the two H1 Hummers (don't ask) I had, all my cars have been German or Ford F350 trucks. I just traded my '06 BMW for a Toyota FJ Cruiser - I drove one over the weekend for a few hours and really liked it - found one set up the way I liked at another dealership and made the deal. I've heard cars/etc from Toyota are reliable - are they? or is this likely to be a nightmare experience?

epsylum
04-19-2006, 08:50
If properly maintained you will be still driving that FJ 20 years from now. IMO toyotas are some of the most reliable cars on the road today.

BTW give us a report on how that FJ is, I believe you are the first one here to buy one. I hope you didn't pay the rediculous prices I heard they were going for (I heard some were selling for over 40k :shocked: ).

My brother used to work at a toyota dealership and is good friends with people who still work there as mechanics. They all swear by them having seen their reliability first hand. It is not odd to see an old Toyota pick-up which has rolled it's odometer over multiple times. They look horrible at that point (older toyotas had some rusting issues, but they have fixed that now), but they just keep running.

betyourlife
04-19-2006, 09:05
Originally posted by hankhan
I've never owned a car from Japan - with the exception of the two H1 Hummers (don't ask) I had, all my cars have been German or Ford F350 trucks. I just traded my '06 BMW for a Toyota FJ Cruiser - I drove one over the weekend for a few hours and really liked it - found one set up the way I liked at another dealership and made the deal. I've heard cars/etc from Toyota are reliable - are they? or is this likely to be a nightmare experience?

My Toyota has been very relaible. Two years. Nothing but oil changes(for the most part), never left me stranded. Has 200,000 miles on her.

Looks and runs great.

My Fords? Every month something broke on them even at 100,000:frown:

All I buy is Japanesse now:)

hankhan
04-19-2006, 09:28
No, I got it for a little less than MSRP - but not invoice. They had a few of them on the lot - funny - another dealership I tried, about 25 miles from the one I bought from had 6 on the lot and all were sold. They said their next 6 cars were pre-sold, they were getting MSRP for them.

kwikrnu
04-19-2006, 09:47
I have had several toyotas in the past and all performed very well. In 2000 I tried a '97 suburban and traded for an '02 excursion a couple of years later and had an '02 ranger and a '99 silverado and an '01 ford 150 and an'04 f150. I have finally decided that with toyota you get more for the money. Better resale less brea downs and better fit and finish. I bought a 2003 corolla it now has 105000 miles with just one trans flush and oil changes every 10000 miles and runs perfect. I just bought an '05 avalon and it is great so far. IMO you can't go wrong buying a toyota. I'm not going to buy anything else.

Asha'man
04-19-2006, 14:57
I love Mustangs and most Fords (minus some of the newer offerings), but I gotta hand it to Toyota for making a great quality vehicle. The 4Runner in my sig has 237,xxx miles and runs great. All the little SR5 switches and gadgets still work, the (very comfortable and supportive) seats aren't torn, and the moonroof doesn't even leak. Great truck.

Brian

Sam White
04-19-2006, 15:41
Mine's at 122k-I bought it at 108k- so far with nothing but maintenance stuff done to it. I specifically wanted something the would get awesome mileage and that I could drive a long, long time without many repairs. So far, anyway, it's living up to its rep...we'll see...

fnfalman
04-20-2006, 11:57
I'm not a fan of Toyota because they're too boring (yes, yes, I know, Supra Turbo, but where's the Supra now?) and too anesthesized. But man, do they know how to make a quality machine!!!

I was never impressed with Toyota until I rode in an 1989 Camry last year. You have a 16-years-old vehicle with a four-banger that idles so smooth that I had to look at the tach to convince myself that the vehicle is actually running. This car belonged to my classmate's wife who have had it since day one. Yes, it's been well maintained but a vehicle with 200K miles on the clock and sixteen years on its body shouldn't be able to run that smoothly.

Ron3
04-22-2006, 21:10
Toyota's are good cars!

1 old 0311
04-23-2006, 05:33
Toyota makes great cars. I used to manage a Toyota Service Department. They don't break often, but when they do they are expensive to repair. I drove a Demo for a while, but no I wouldn't buy one.

Kevin

jjrobo
04-24-2006, 05:53
I'm stuck between a new Toyota Tundra and Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4. My GM vehicles have always been ok. At work the Ford and Dodge work trucks seem like they're always in the shop.

I'm scared of what it would cost to fix a Toyota if it did have a major problem. But then again a Chevy might just nickle and dime me to death.

Any suggestions?

Jeff

epsylum
04-24-2006, 15:18
Originally posted by jjrobo
I'm stuck between a new Toyota Tundra and Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4. My GM vehicles have always been ok. At work the Ford and Dodge work trucks seem like they're always in the shop.

I'm scared of what it would cost to fix a Toyota if it did have a major problem. But then again a Chevy might just nickle and dime me to death.

Any suggestions?

Jeff

As someone pointed out Toyotas do cost more to repair if they break, but the fact is they don't break anywhere near as much and on top fo that hold their reale value way better than any domestic vehicle, especially the trucks.

The simple reason they cost more to repair is because the parts are of better quality and therefor cost more. My brother is best friends with severla Toyota techs and they have all said this. One of them liked looking up the prices of parts to see how expensive they are. One he found was a water pump for a Toyota Camry (forgot what year). it was like $600, but he added that in the almost 10 years he had been working on Toyotas he had only replaced 1 Camry water pump.

I would take the vehicle that is down less, but costs more to fix over the one that is down more but is expensive to fix. The Toyota will take less time out of your life trying to repair it and again, it will hold it's value a lot better.

But, then again I am biased. ;)

edited to add:

I no spel goood. :supergrin:

45acp4me
04-26-2006, 09:04
Toyota and Mercedes used to set the bar in longevity, Mercedes had dropped in quality over the years, but Toyota is still the one who is king of the hill.

Mntneer357
04-26-2006, 10:25
Big +1 for Toyota reliability.

I picked up a "thundercloud metallic" (read: gunmetal) color 2002 4Runner SR5 this time last year, just after my birthday. It now has 40K on the clock and all I've done is change the oil. It's everything I want and nothing I don't need. It's got 186 hp, and that's perfectly fine with me. Added to which, it came with a nice, loud, clear sound system. The interior is comfy and it's got gobs of space to haul whatever I need.

I always love hearing other Toyota owners good fortune with their cars. It's quite commonplace to hear owners with 220K+ on theirs with very little besides routine maintenance.

Until just recently, both my Mom and Dad also had Toyotas. Both had upwards of 65K on the clock and they never had any repair issues.

I'm totally sold on Toyotas.

Cheers!
Mntneer357

skifiend
05-01-2006, 09:39
I'm on my second Tacoma. My first was a '96. Got in a bad 6 car pile-up on interstate and I was in the middle. Needless to say my truck was folded right up and I still got almost 10K from the insurance company. But up until that point, no issues with it. Had a little over 100K on it. My current Tacoma is an '01 with 105K on it. Still runs like a champ and looks good. I'll never buy a truck that isn't a Toyota.

Old School
05-01-2006, 11:36
To say that they are generally reliable is an understatement. There was thread months ago where someone asked about the reliablity of a Kia vs. Toyota or Honda. My response was that, while the Kia may or may not be as reliable as any brand, they do not have the track record of a Toyota or Honda.

Norman
05-01-2006, 23:30
Does the pope **** in the woods?