License plate question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : License plate question

Generalcarry
04-25-2006, 05:12
My drivers license and plate tabs had to be renewed and while standing in line I heard myself say I wanted one VN veteran plate. For as many years as they've been out I never bothered with them and out of the blue I order one. Did that happen to anyone else? As soon as I left I was sorry I got one. It's freekin odd. I did hit country in 67, maybe that was in the back of my mind. At any rate, I wish I wouldn't have done it.

KNEESINTHEBREEZ
04-25-2006, 08:36
Why would you not want one, you earned it! I do realize that there are many RVN vets that just don't want any attention called to that fact and I can respect that, however you should NEVER feel bad about getting a license plate. Thank you for your service! :patriot:

BTW, who were you with in Vietnam?

RoyG
04-25-2006, 11:00
Generalcarry,

Welcome home...:beer: :beer: :beer:

fnfalman
04-26-2006, 09:54
I kind of wanted a veteran plate too, but then I figured who cares if other people know that I serve? I didn't do it for the adoration of the mass (OK, I was hoping that I could score with the chicks but that didn't pan out like the novels said).

RussP
04-26-2006, 20:01
It was the voice we all have that pushes us out of our comfort zone that told you to do it... Mine has been very vocal recently...for over a year, ever since I gave my dogtags to my son to take with him to Iraq. He brought them back. You put those plates on with pride... '67? Hell, you earned them...:patriot: :patriot:

planorick
05-08-2006, 21:00
I was one of the lucky ones. I was in the AF but lucked out and was never in country. I spent many years in the AF wondering if I really deserved to be there because I didn't go and all the guys I started out with did. But, It came around to my turn when the first Gulf War started. I ended up spending a year in country. It was in no way as bad as VN but I could at least now imagine what you guys went through.

Be proud of what you did for your country and place those plates on your vehicle and you will find that people wil look upon you with a new since of respect.

Thank you for your service, Brother!

RockSix
05-18-2006, 06:47
Plus it might help with getting a warning instead of a ticket.

AirAssault
05-18-2006, 14:30
i have Desert Storm plates on my vehicle.
:cool:

Generalcarry
05-18-2006, 15:18
Problem solved. I leased a new Jeep and the wife liked it so she took mine and now I have hers. HOWEVER, now that I think about it, I didn't have to show any documentation (DD214) for proof. I guess all you have to do is ask for one.

doyle01
05-21-2006, 15:46
My wife got me mine best present I ever got

DriBak
05-21-2006, 16:55
Originally posted by RockSix
Plus it might help with getting a warning instead of a ticket.

I KNOW for a fact this has worked for me
Desert Storm plates

kawalerzysta
05-25-2006, 19:55
Originally posted by DriBak
I KNOW for a fact this has worked for me
Desert Storm plates
Worked for me with Disabled Veteran plate:)

WIG19
06-21-2006, 12:52
Originally posted by RussP
Mine has been very vocal recently...Likewise; at some point (and I can't put my finger on it) I've become very comfortable in my own skin, who I am, and what I believe, and although I'm much more courteous I find I have to make fewer actual apologies. Don't have the license plates, but have actually begun to go against an old personal policy and 'deface' my truck with a couple of things that matter to me. My NRA sticker of course, along with a sticker clearly dedicated to ousting the current hand-wringing whining-liberal Governor. Other than just making sure to vote, I sometimes find in the vets I deal with at the local VAMC that it takes us awhile to accept that we've earned all the little things that may come our way, and that we can & should accept them without any attached guilt because they generally have good motives behind them. So I do get vocal with my elected reps and I won't hide anything I've done during my career as long as it's unclassified.

As RoyG said, "Welcome Home"

:patriot:

82ndAbn
06-23-2006, 23:42
Originally posted by Generalcarry
Problem solved. I leased a new Jeep and the wife liked it so she took mine and now I have hers. HOWEVER, now that I think about it, I didn't have to show any documentation (DD214) for proof. I guess all you have to do is ask for one.

I've heard about that. Someone else was telling me they picked up EMS tags without having to identify themselves as a Paramedic or EMT.

They either don't care, trust you, or allow any joe-off-the-street to get them.

Maybe it's about sales and money making instead of legitimacy.

Anyhow, I think you ought to be proud to sport Vet tags.

~

AirAssault
06-24-2006, 06:09
Originally posted by 82ndAbn
I've heard about that. Someone else was telling me they picked up EMS tags without having to identify themselves as a Paramedic or EMT.

Anyhow, I think you ought to be proud to sport Vet tags.

~

i had to show my 214 when i got my desert storm tags back in 98....
:freak:

Generalcarry
06-24-2006, 07:28
The Sec. of State office I went to was not crowded (myself and another person) and as I said, it was an impulse buy. I believe I had to pay a one time $30-$35 charge. I also wrote to the Sec.of State expressing my concern, and she has never responded.
I have to believe you can ask for any plate you desire, based on my experience. That's a pretty sorry commentary for this state.

JimmyMN
06-27-2006, 23:59
I'm 100% service-connected disabled, permanent and total, and am proud to show Vietnam Vet plates on my cars. Hey, guys, we did what we were sent to do on behalf of our country and we did a good job; it's time to get over it and show the pride we feel...enough said.

Edited to add: When I applied for the plate, I had to furnish a copy of my DD214.

Bonk
06-28-2006, 10:30
You earned it, my brother, and I'm glad you got the plates.

FWIW, when I applied for Marine Corps plates (xxxxMR in Virginia, with the EGA next to it), I had to show my 214. The copy was a little bad, so thankfully I had a photocopy of my last ID card, which the DMV clerk accepted. I thanked her for having high standards. :)

blinkin357
06-28-2006, 11:19
Thank you for serving our country. You can and should share your pride with the rest of us. I wish that I'd served but did not. However if they continue raising the enlistment age, I may be able to join up instead of retiring.... seriously!

Cava3r4
06-30-2006, 10:44
I had a purple heart plate when I lived in MN. (I'm glad I left that bastion of liberalism as I moved out of there.)
A friend of mine who was in the same Vietnam Veterans of America chapter as I was also a state trooper. He told me to get rid of the license plate as I was a target for police to pull over as a suspected DWI.
I got rid of my plates and I quit getting pulled over.
I have normal plates now.
I have my "electric strawberry" patch on my bumper and you have to have been in to know what it is. I have no lettering on the vehicle at all.
I also will NOT put an NRA sticker on my vehicle as it then becomes a target for clowns looking for firearms.
Bob

JimmyMN
07-07-2006, 21:51
Cava3r4, you are sooooo right about the freakin' liberals here! The only good news for me is that I live in conservative Rochester, a sane island in the midst of whackos.

I had quite the opposite advice about vet plates. The cops I spoke with said it helped to have them, since most LEOs are veterans, which tends to get you a bit of slack. I suppose it could go either way, but doubt there's any research ever been done on the topic.

Cava3r4
07-07-2006, 22:25
Well, I'm out of there now Jimmy. I moved to AZ where you actually have a few rights down here as the law abiding citizen.
I can even evict someone from my rental without haveing to give them a reason.
YOu can't do that in Minneapolis!!
Bob

Marine8541
07-12-2006, 14:50
Originally posted by 82ndAbn

~ I sport my purple heart tags on my truck, disabled vet tag on my wifes, and both of my kids cars, well my cars but they drive them 18 and 16. There are.... get ready for this... 84 different types of plates one can get in the state of Colorado... Ya think it's a revanue thing??? :supergrin:

NOCM
08-01-2006, 00:46
I've got Disabled Veteran plates on my car here in VA... I've gotten out of a couple tickets and the best part is the cost... Renewing the plates for 2 years cost me $6 and I also don't have to pay the dumb "personal property tax" that VA levies on all vehicles.

I did need to show a DD214 as well as the VA paperwork that shows my disability status (30%)

AirAssault
08-01-2006, 09:29
here are the military and veteran plates that Texas offers:

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/services/vehicle_titles_and_registration/specialty_plates/military_and_veterans/default.htm

RussP
08-04-2006, 13:43
Here is what Virginia offers... http://www.dmv.state.va.us/exec/vehicle/splates/category.asp?category=M

mrmedina
08-12-2006, 21:34
15 dollars one time fee, plus DD214, New Mexico Veteran Plate.

http://www.state.nm.us/tax/forms/mvd/mvd10353.pdf

JimmyMN
08-13-2006, 13:26
Here's what my MN "Vietnam Vet" plates look like...

http://preview.jfiebke.photosite.com/~photos/tn/4380_348.ts946702800000.jpg

Cava3r4
08-13-2006, 16:18
Jimmy,
Did you read my post up above about the MN state trooper telling me to get rid of my purple heart plates?
Bob

JimmyMN
08-13-2006, 19:30
Cava3r4 said: Jimmy,
Did you read my post up above about the MN state trooper telling me to get rid of my purple heart plates?
Bob

Cava3r4, Apparently you didn't read my post, which was directly after the post you mention!

Frankly, at my age I've matured to the point where I don't do anything stupid that will get me pulled over...:supergrin:

Cava3r4
08-13-2006, 22:44
sorry you "feel that way" Jimmy.
I was trying to be helpfull.
I don't drink and drive and I use my speed control constantly. I'm an old man too....but I got pulled over like ALWAYS in wonderful LIBERAL MN and when I got rid of the plates I quit getting pulled over.
OH well.... I guess it was lost.
Bob
PS. BTW....they even honor my retired military health insurance down here in AZ.....they did NOT in LIBERAL MN.
OUT

JimmyMN
08-16-2006, 01:02
Cava3r4...good grief, lift your hand off that "liberal MN" button, it's gonna blow!

You must have been doing something wrong, for I've cruised along just great here, getting some of my health care at Mayo Clinic on a fee basis by VA, the rest at the VA CBOC here or occasionally at VAMC in Minneapolis. My wife uses her CHAMPVA coverage at Mayo Clinic with no problem.

And, the cops have never hassled me in spite of my Vietnam Vet plates and prominent "Veterans For Bush" sticker in the rear window during the campaign season. I even forgot to renew my tabs for an entire year and didn't get ticketed...how's that for flying under the radar?!

Don't run, don't quit. Stay where the liberals are and convert them; that's my game plan and we need all the help we can get, you even have them in AZ, so get busy!