What am I to do? Help!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What am I to do? Help!!!

hi speed
04-26-2006, 20:44
I'm ETS'ing on the 12th of May due to my new title as a Disabled Combat Veteran. I have no clue as to what to do with myself as a civilian. This is compounded by the fact that manual labor is no longer an option for employment. Any of you guys have any suggestions?

:patriot: Hi Speed

geminicricket
04-26-2006, 21:06
hi speed, consider IC layout design. It is possible to do it with one really bummed out shoulder from a wheelchair.
Here's what is involved: Sitting, looking at a computer monitor, using a keyboard with no particularly fantastic skill, remembering where to find important information you need once every year or so, and moving a computer mouse. The job may sound boring from that description, but all the work is mental. You see the input, which is an electronic schematic diagram, and you use the keyboard and the mouse, mostly the mouse, to create the output, which is a picture of how the circuit will look as patterns on the silicon chip. You draw "pretty pictures" with the software, as fast as possible, and run some software programs against it to check and see that you did it right. The salary range is similar to engineers. Do a google search, look for a community college that teaches the basics, and try persistently to get into a job. Many IC companies would bend over backwards to put a disabled veteran to productive use.

If you excelled in the military system, you are well prepared for it.

Boats2006
05-10-2006, 11:09
[I'm ETS'ing on the 12th of May due to my new title as a Disabled Combat Veteran. I have no clue as to what to do with myself as a civilian. This is compounded by the fact that manual]

First, Hi Speed, thank you for your service and sacrifice to your country!! Next, I would think the VA would offer retraining and programs to orient you to occupations that would interest you. Most of America does no manual labor - you'll fit right in with the rest of us.

There's some valuable information in a book called "What Color is You Parachute" by Richard Nelon Bolles (http://www.jobhuntersbible.com). It's available in paperback and costs about 20 bucks. Only problem is that ppl read it and think what does he know - for 20 bucks what can I learn from him. Well, he has fantastic advice if only ppl would read and follow his advice. I did Executive Search and Outplacment in Philadelphia for six years. I'd bet ppl that asked for advice that if they memorized, really memorized the book, and didnt find the job they wanted I'd buy the book back. Many dont apply themselves to the job search. If you do, the world will be your oyster. There's hundreds of things you can do and do well. You've learned a life time of skills and maturity since joining the service. Check out the the VA programs - The VA sent my best friend thru medical school after his recovery from wounds in Nam.

http://www.jobhuntersbible.com/

retired u s navy