"War Dogs" - Great DoD site!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : "War Dogs" - Great DoD site!!!

RussP
05-02-2006, 08:07
http://www.defenselink.mil/home/features/2006/Working-Dogs/index.html

Great stories about K-9 teams...

RetDet
05-20-2006, 22:44
The song, "Wardogs", just rips your heart out. Dynamite stuff.

Guy Powell
05-30-2006, 10:00
RussP, after several years as a follower of Glocktalk I've only now seen this forum. Getting old I guess. Yes, the DoD site is nice. I handled a dog in Vietnam and was one of the very few that got to bring their dog back home. We were point for a LRRP team and got caught up in an ambush. My dog got shot, as well as I and one of the other team members. Since we had no radio contact I'm truly grateful to the infantry platoon that heard the gunfire and came to our rescue. At any rate, both my dog and I survived and eventually made our way back home. He lived, minus his l/f leg, to the ripe old age of 13. Unfortunately, the MWD was considered a "tool" to the military, and being such, was expendable. Most of them were VERY sadly put down at the end of their service. In addition to being a sheriffs department dog handler now my wife and I own Seven Pines Kennel in east Texas. Part of our operation sells dogs to the DoD. While they've still got a long way to go the MWD is treated MUCH better now than back in my day.