Scooters [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Scooters

vega
05-03-2006, 19:31
With the rising cost of fuel I'm considering getting one but I don't have any experience with motorbikes. Does anyone here have one? I'd like to get 80-150cc so I can carry a passenger. Pros and cons please.

wingz
05-03-2006, 20:31
Originally posted by vega
With the rising cost of fuel I'm considering getting one but I don't have any experience with motorbikes. Does anyone here have one? I'd like to get 80-150cc so I can carry a passenger. Pros and cons please.

Hi sir vega,

i myself is planning to buy one, but aborted in the last minute. i can give you some pros & cons of motorbike use IMHO.

Pros:
1. low fuel cost for 80-150 cc bikes
2. easy to evade congested traffic routes even if you're caught in it.
3. low maintenance cost

Cons:
1. new models are light and can be dangerous at high speeds.
2. high mortality rate in motorbike accidents.

well, it's just me...

riddler
05-03-2006, 22:46
I'd like to get 80-150cc so I can carry a passenger. Pros and cons please.

Get one that is at least 250cc! Mileage difference between the 150cc and the 250cc is negligible even with today's gas prices. You will need the extra ummmph when merging on the freeway.

Allegra
05-04-2006, 05:09

Vespa, it's got character, made of metal and may spare tire pa
You can dress it up din

atmarcella
05-04-2006, 05:23
are u planning to use it stateside or PI vega? kasi dito usong-uso talaga ang scooter, kung dito pwede na 110-150cc pero kung sa states... get a harley:supergrin: :supergrin:

Eye Cutter
05-04-2006, 05:24
http://www.vespapalmbeach.com/i/vespa_h2.jpg

cool na cool ang mga vespa scooters!

meron vespa club dito sa pinas. they regularly meet at metrowalk and the fort. kumpleto attire pati old style helmets, goggles and gloves. feel na feel nasa rome, italy sila!

vega
05-04-2006, 05:41
Thanks for the replies....

My work is only 7 miles away and I do not intend to use it in the freeway. I did consider the 250cc (scooter) but its too big for me.

Yes, those Vespas look good but a bit more than the Japanese brand. I did consider Piaggio Fly 150.

I think I'll buy a used one, saw a Yamaha Rivo 125 for $1350 with 800 miles in it. I'll check that out in the afternoon and kung ok, bibilhin ko na. Mag fi-feeling Japan na lang muna ako.

3kings
05-04-2006, 05:48
on the cons side...

1. aside from the fact that your life and limb is at stake whenever there is an accident,

2. scooters and motorcycles are almost always flagged down by policemen because lately most of the drive by shootings or assassinations are done by motorcycle riding hitmen

my 3cents

Skyhook
05-04-2006, 06:04
I've been out of touch with the biker world for some time but as a previous instructor for the MSF, I would like to mention that those smaller-wheeled scooters are less stable than the regular-sized bikes. It's something to do with the center of gravities and gyroscopic forces. Hitting a patch of loose sand on a turn can cause the differences mentioned above to really stand out.
The scooters are quick to react and oversteer (High-side, etc) and that could exacerbate the problem induced by the loss of traction.

I have thought of getting a smallish bike- my last three were big cruisers- What is available in the, say, 450-500cc range? I have lost tract.

Allegra
05-04-2006, 07:17
Thanks for the replies....

My work is only 7 miles away and I do not intend to use it in the freeway. I did consider the 250cc (scooter) but its too big for me.

Yes, those Vespas look good but a bit more than the Japanese brand. I did consider Piaggio Fly 150.

I think I'll buy a used one, saw a Yamaha Rivo 125 for $1350 with 800 miles in it. I'll check that out in the afternoon and kung ok, bibilhin ko na. Mag fi-feeling Japan na lang muna ako.

ito nalang vega! - pinarello dogma
it's has great mileage , it's Italian but at the price of a 2nd hand Honda lang

http://www.pinarello.com/

errr...yung Honda accord

9MX
05-04-2006, 10:02
Originally posted by Skyhook
I've been out of touch with the biker world for some time but as a previous instructor for the MSF,

hi, what's MSF?

Skyhook
05-04-2006, 10:21
Originally posted by 9MX
hi, what's MSF?

Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

It was based in MD then moved to the left coast. I think some states require a safety course to qualify for a biker lic.

9MX
05-04-2006, 10:23
Originally posted by Skyhook
Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

It was based in MD then moved to the left coast. I think some states require a safety course to qualify for a biker lic.

thanks! i'm based in manila, which explains i don't know. hehe

batangueno
05-05-2006, 01:22
Originally posted by Allegra
ito nalang vega! - pinarello dogma
it's has great mileage , it's Italian but at the price of a 2nd hand Honda lang

http://www.pinarello.com/

errr...yung Honda accord
Tama vega, bike na lang. :supergrin:

vega
05-05-2006, 06:47
Grabe pala presyo ng bike na yan!

I bought it yesterday, used 2001 Yamaha Riva 125cc, 800+ miles from the original owner. Engine runs smooth. Tires are still ok but I might buy new ones. Guy used it at his motor home. Color is white which is really not my choice. I will go to the DMV this afternoon to get a motorcycle reviewer. Now I'm having buyer's remorse.

Gas went up again yesterday. How is it with you guys?

BTW, thanks for all the replies.

Eye Cutter
05-05-2006, 07:01
Today, a liter of Shell Velocity (95 octane) costs P40.50. Tomorrow, it's going up again by another .50 centavos!

Yung P500 pesos ko less than 13 liters na lang karga.

2 years ago, my weekly gas bill was P500. Now it's P1000-1500/week!

Allegra
05-05-2006, 07:25
? - how's the quality of gas of jetti , seaoil , flying v etc?
I tried jetti , mukang ok naman

hankhan
05-05-2006, 07:32
I ride a 49cc Honda Ruckus around town. About 90 mpg, it's a one person scooter. I have the cycle endorsement but it's not required to ride the Ruckus. It'll go 35 mph easily on the flat.
I've ridden road bikes for over 30 years, my last one before the Ruckus was a '04 BMW GS 1150 - but I rarely rode it, before that a 2000 HD. The Ruckus gets more use than either of those big bikes did,
and I have a KTM RFS for playing in the dirt.

vega
05-05-2006, 14:17
The Ruckus is a good looking scoot but after checking out the displacement I have to turn away.

At P40.50 per liter magkano na kaya bayad sa jeep and bus?
I used to pump seaoil when I was still back there, they are a little cheaper compared to the big players.

Eye Cutter
05-05-2006, 16:32
jeep? P7.50 pero they're asking to raise it to P8.75. hindi pumayag ltfrb.

sa totoo lang, mas makakatipid ang lahat kung tatanggalin mga bwisit na smoke belchers na iyan! bus and jeep naman ang tunay na cause ng traffic with their undisciplined driving manners. comparing all the asian countries i've been, bangkok lang ang mas congested mga kalye pero hindi kasing polluted hangin compared to metro manila!

vega
05-05-2006, 17:04
I've been to Bangkok too but their toktok drivers follow traffic rules. They don't block the intersections even if they are go. I tried doing that back there pero binusinahan lang ako ng driver sa likod ko.

Jetti is a new gas company, wala yan noon.

hankhan & Skyhook - Is it legal for me to use kevlar helmet in liue
of the protective head gear that comes with the bike?

toxic
05-06-2006, 06:12
? - how's the quality of gas of jetti , seaoil , flying v etc?
I tried jetti , mukang ok naman

seaoil:had a bad expirience with their diesel pumugak yung auto ko may halong gaas according to my mechanic, Flying V ok , jetti no expirience.

Scooters

Pros:
same as what the guys said low fuel consumption, no problem with traffic.

Cons:
I agree with the stats , high mortality or high risk sa accident but nandun na yung ingat factor. Drive safely wear helmets, elbow and knee pads (kung available)and dont DUI.
my dad was an avid dirt bike enthusiast in his younger days. ayon di nag helmet naaya ng inuman, bale ang clavicle, brain hemorrhage.
3 month sa Hosps.and the theraphy sessions.

Dito sa pinas , agaw bike uso na din.

9MX
05-06-2006, 19:12
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/9MX/NingningLazaroCupLevel3/moto.jpg

On my to a match in San Pablo yesterday, traffic was so bad after exiting Lucena because of this. The guy's bike was crushed, its like the one that tom cruise rode in top gun. sorry i'm not so familiar with bikes. he had a helmet on but i saw it several meters from his body, same with his left shoe.

May God rest his soul, his family gets justice,

and you pistol packing bike fanatics be always safe:cool:

vega
05-06-2006, 20:32
What's the other vehicle? Poor guy, was it a big bike?

Actually, I'm having buyer's remorse and want to sell it but my son said we can use it to buy stuff at the supermart. I'll give it a month.

My mechanic offered me a 1985 Jetta diesel and I'll checking it out next week. You can get 50 miles per gallon on those things.

9MX
05-07-2006, 07:35
vega,

i wasn't able to find out. personally, i think motor bikes are fun, its just that there are so many elements that are beyond a biker's control once in the highway, even if he drives defensively and adorns himself with all the safety gear

Allegra
05-07-2006, 08:37
A memorable accident I came across was guy who git run over w/ a 10 wheeler. Nagkasya sa balde when they collected what was left of him

Anyway , you just dont think about thise things
I ride a lot on our national roads , and buses and jeepneys will gitgitize you , driving so close pwde ka na magbayad ng pamasahe sa driver
Bahala na :)

9MX
05-07-2006, 08:46
.... will gitgitize you

Lol!! they're so kaka no?:supergrin:

MELBU
05-08-2006, 03:03
I used to be a motorcycle bike rider but after an accident with
my bike nag stop na ako riding motorcycles.

If you have a scooter or big bike, you'll have a tendency to make
"hataw" your bike, kasi ang sarap talaga mag motor.

Pero sumemplang si ako! hahahaha ah sabi ko dehins na repapips,
sayang pa yung mga chicks na pwede kong sakyan ah este pwede ko pang
makilala.

Yes scooters and motorbikes can save fuel but it can also take your
life if you get into an accident.....It can also make your batok negro.......eeeeewwww so kaka sa mga ladies natin yan :supergrin:. Plus if you
dont wear helmets when riding your bike your skin will become oily
and full of blackheads, minus na naman pogi points natin nyan hehehe!

But riding a motorbike is fun, i used to be a rider myself! Pero ayun nagsawa rin si ako,
tambak sa garahe tulog pera.

Allegra
05-08-2006, 08:47
napatingin tuloy ako sa salamin , tingin sa batok kung kulay aspalto na
syet , pang lux commercial pa rin!

vega
05-08-2006, 17:51
gitgitize
'lang ya, tagal kong inisip kung ano ito. Hinanap ko pa sa dictionary. Buti na lang hindi ako nag PM kay horge para tanungin.
Ang pronounce ko kasi as in "digit".

I'll give it a month, medyo iba naman ang driving dito compared dyan sa atin. Bili na lang ako ng cap na may takip ang batok, lagay ko sa loob ng helmet.

isuzu
05-08-2006, 18:43
Originally posted by toxic
seaoil:had a bad expirience with their diesel pumugak yung auto ko may halong gaas according to my mechanic, Flying V ok , jetti no expirience.

It's not that Seaoil diesel is mixed with kerosene. In fact, kerosene is more volatile than diesel. Airplane and helicopter turbines (turbojets, turbofans, etc.) run on refined kerosene with a number of additives to make it burn efficiently.

What makes your car "choke" is the contaminants in Seaoil's diesel fuel. It's been common knowlege that they transport their products in dirty barges and/or tankers and the moisture content on their diesels is quite high. This creates an inefficient burn, could damage your fuel injectors, and definitely contribute to poor fuel consumption.

jojo_G19
05-09-2006, 21:58
Originally posted by isuzu
It's not that Seaoil diesel is mixed with kerosene. In fact, kerosene is more volatile than diesel. Airplane and helicopter turbines (turbojets, turbofans, etc.) run on refined kerosene with a number of additives to make it burn efficiently.

What makes your car "choke" is the contaminants in Seaoil's diesel fuel. It's been common knowlege that they transport their products in dirty barges and/or tankers and the moisture content on their diesels is quite high. This creates an inefficient burn, could damage your fuel injectors, and definitely contribute to poor fuel consumption.

some says, seaoil diesel are industrial grade, this means, it should only be used in large d1esel engine and generators, uka nga, hinde masyadong refined not like the automstive diesel that the big three sells, but its relatively cheaper though. inde ko lang alan kung papasa un sa quality control ng DOE pagchineck nila. but as they say, nasa pilipinas tau:supergrin: