glocks in boracay [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : glocks in boracay

quick
05-03-2006, 19:40
i was in boracay over the long weekend.

i just happened to notice that besides being tanned and wearing shorts as official uniforms, the cops on the beach carry glocks. :)

mikey177
05-04-2006, 01:38
Thanks for the interesting info.

Any pictures of the LEOs with Glocks? Did you ask if they were carrying Glocks because of their reputed corrosion resistance?

quick
05-04-2006, 04:15
sorry, no pics. my bad.

and now that you mention it, i SHOULD'VE chatted them up on that point (corrosion resistance).

it just didn;t occur to me at the time. i suppose i was a little distracted by all those bikini-clad chicks walking around... :supergrin:

Eye Cutter
05-04-2006, 04:59
the more important question (not) to ask is if they know how to use their glocks...

atmarcella
05-04-2006, 05:18
but glocks are easy to use EC:rollsmiley: :supergrin: :rollsmiley: :supergrin: :rollsmiley:

mikey177
05-04-2006, 08:35
Originally posted by quick
sorry, no pics. my bad... i suppose i was a little distracted by all those bikini-clad chicks walking around.

No problem, quick. We'll settle for pictures of bikini-clad ladies any day :supergrin:

kcboy
05-04-2006, 16:52
yung mga glocks ba na yun standard issue ng police sa boracay or yung mga police dun, they own the glocks. alam ko kasi mga oilice dito sa manila, yung mga service carries nila, ay kanila. kaya ibaiba yung mga guns nag police dito.

isuzu
05-04-2006, 18:12
Glocks would be the appropriate firearm to carry in a place like Boracay, where there's high humidity and salt spray. Just like the Miami PD. If memory serves me right, they were the first LEO to use Glocks (Glock 17).

Eye Cutter
05-04-2006, 18:50
does the nypd still issue glock 19's?

isuzu
05-04-2006, 19:09
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
does the nypd still issue glock 19's?

When we went to NYC in 2003, I saw lots of NYPD officers with stainless S&W 9mm pistols. I think the NYPD has a list of approved pistols for carry. NYPD officers guarding the entrance of Holland Tunnel had MP5s and M4s with S&W 9mms as their sidearms.

I read an article in a magazine while I was still in the Philippines. According to the article, Glock had to repair or upgrade Glock 19s of the NYPD because of a problem with the pistol. This happened without much fanfare, and Glock had to send a mobile gunshop (18 wheeeler tractor trailer) to deal with the problem.

paltik45
05-04-2006, 21:21
Originally posted by isuzu

I read an article in a magazine while I was still in the Philippines. According to the article, Glock had to repair or upgrade Glock 19s of the NYPD because of a problem with the pistol. This happened without much fanfare, and Glock had to send a mobile gunshop (18 wheeeler tractor trailer) to deal with the problem.

Sir,I think it was the LAPD who had problems with their Glocks. It was thanks giving last year(2005) when we went to L.A. california to visit the family. On our way back to Kansas city on board the plane I saw the story on the front page of "The L.A. Times." I posted that story in this forum but I dont know how to link it up here.:)

isuzu
05-05-2006, 00:05
Glock 19s issued to the NYPD had problems, too. Glock 21s with the LAPD had problems as well. It took a while for Glock's problems to come out. That's probably one reason why Glock prices in the Philippines went down.

batangueno
05-05-2006, 01:02
Here's some info regarding NYPD's problem with their G19s. AFAIK, 6 parts have to be upgraded.

Defects in NYPD hanguns
NY Daily News: 21 August 2002
by Bob Kappstatter & Alice McQuillan

More than half of the Police Department's handguns are subject to jam without warn_ing, a potentially dangerous flaw that can leave the weapons a "useless as paperweights," police sources said.

Although the jamming is rare, the NYPD has been con_cerned enough to order a recall of 24,000 semiauto_mat_ic Glock handguns so they can be refitted.

This problem affects the Glock Model 19 the gun carried by about 60% of the department's 39,000 officers. The flaw, in which the shell casing fails to eject, has only arisen during practice and tests at the NYPD firing range, officials say.

"Our studies have shown this to be a rare occurrence," said police spokesman Chief Michael Collins. "In the worst-case scenario... we esti_ma_ted that this has happened only once in 450,000 times when fired."

However, during an actual gun battle in Brooklyn, two Emergency Service Unit Officers reported that their Glocks failed. Collins said that after and investigation of the October 2000 incident, ballistics experts said what_ever problem those guns had, it was not the jamming malfunction that is the subject of the current recall.

To correct the problem, the Austrian-based Glock com_pany has sent engineers to the NYPD's firing range at Rodman's Neck in the Bronx. Since June, they have re_pair_ed 3,200 weapons in a pro_cedure that takes about an hour. Immediately afterward, officers tested the refitted weapons at the range, where the results have been ex_cell_ent, Collins said. The process will continue until all 24,000 Glocks are fixed, he said.

There is a delay in fixing all the weapons, sources said, because cutbacks and the redeployment of officers to special details have made it difficult for cops to schedule time to have their guns repaired.

Sources also said that some of the Glocks have a different problem locking. When a gun locks, a user can get it functioning again by re_mov_ing the clip and holding the ammunition and manually moving the slide to eject the stuck shell casing.

In that scenario, the source said, "You can be back in the gun battle in a matter of seconds, as opposed to the total jam where the guns become [as] useless as paperweights."

kcboy
05-05-2006, 05:02
the articles said glock 19s, what abt glock 17s??? since both are 9mm guns.

isuzu
05-05-2006, 20:43
I believe that Glock has throughly researched and tested their first pistol before releasing it to the market; as opposed to the subsequent Glock models that came out almost one after the other following the instant success of the Glock 17.

jerrytrini
05-06-2006, 09:16
Just a reminder:

.22LR Match is on May 27. For those interested to shoot or watch the match please go to uspsa.org click Area 2. If you do not have a .22, I will be glad to loan you mine, bring your own ammo preferably anything but Remington Thunderbolt.

paltiq
05-06-2006, 19:15
manong jerry,
please provide us some updates,pics, etc. of the .22 match. very interested kami na malaman ang procedure ng .22 match dyan para maisagawa din namin dito. you mentioned Thunderbolt....kung ano ang panget dyan yan ang marami dito c/o PBD:freak: anong style po ba ang .22 ninyo? 10/22 po ba?:cool: what is your prefered .22 ammo?

jerrytrini
05-07-2006, 10:05
I shall post some pics of the match. Go to uspsa.org Area 2 then look for 22 Rimfire match. The courses of fire are posted.
I do not have a 22 rifle, but the match director would loan me his. For the pistol stage, I have my own SW AS22. The ammo is WW HV.

jerrytrini
05-07-2006, 10:10
BTW next time you call me Manong, I will have 9MX give you a lapdance.

9MX
05-07-2006, 18:40
Originally posted by jerrytrini
BTW next time you call me Manong, I will have 9MX give you a lapdance.

JT,

I can now do the improved version, its called "slapdance":supergrin:

.45 Combat
05-16-2006, 18:09
Why is it that New York Cops have the most trouble with Glocks?

Allegra
05-16-2006, 23:12
Originally posted by .45 Combat
Why is it that New York Cops have the most trouble with Glocks?

Make that NY cops and Filipino IPSC shooters :supergrin:

st. matthew
05-20-2006, 05:17
no malfunctions here:supergrin:

Django
05-21-2006, 08:07
Awesome! ! ! :shocked:

vega
05-23-2006, 19:09
Originally posted by st. matthew
no malfunctions here:supergrin:

Did the gunner behind made a 180* when he was clearing his m/g?