Pickups, camper vans, and small motorhomes... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pickups, camper vans, and small motorhomes...

TED
05-04-2006, 04:11
I'm interested in getting some information about this kind of stuff but at a loss as to where to start.

This would be for two people only, and we would be sharing the bed.

I'm primarily interested in a detachable camper thing for a regular pickup, that sits in the bed.

I'm also interested in things that turn the bed of a truck into a glorified tent.

Lastly, I may be interested in a SMALL motorhome, something like the VW campers or a conversion van, alittle bigger even would be OK, but not much and certainly nothign like the huge land yacths I've come across in my searcehs thus far. I HATE those. I'm not sure of the classification but I think "A".

I'm not especially interested in trailers,, but not opposed either.

The google searches thus far have been overwhleming in their vast array of UNSUTIABLE results.

TED

Bushflyr
05-04-2006, 09:10
What are you using it for?

Maxthemutt
05-04-2006, 13:19
The small motor home your looking for is a Class B. It's like a converted van. The bigger versions are a Class C, but these are significantly bigger and more expensive.

www.rvsearch.com

www.traderonline.com

www.carsoup.com

Those are a few of the places I've searched for similar items.

Good luck, Max

I've thought about getting a minivan for trips for two people. Take out the rear seats, throw in an air mattress, cooler, and dvd player or laptop, comfort and mid twenties fuel economy for something newer and cheaper than most other alternatives.

TED
05-04-2006, 17:57
I was thinking something for extended road trips.

TED

TED
05-04-2006, 17:57
Thanks for the links and the correction on the classification.

TED

Maxthemutt
05-04-2006, 18:01
Your welcome :)

Bill D
05-06-2006, 20:41
Try www.iRV2.com.
Very good site-use their search feature for a lot of info.

kengps
05-16-2006, 16:15
You might want to consider a Sprinter based class B. Get around 25 miles to the gallon. Have more room than most conversion vans. I had a converted Ford van class B. It was made by "Sportsmobile" They have a good website. You can buy the van from them or take them yours to convert any way you want. They have a planning kit that you can use to custom build your own floor layout. They are doing Sprinter conversions also. Their most popular conversions are the ones that have a pop-up tent-like top. You can take your used van to them for one of the tops to be put on. Turn-around is a day or two. I loved mine. It was really fun. www.Sportsmobile.com For lots of info go to: www.rv.net/forum/

TED
05-16-2006, 20:59
A fellow Alaskan I see, thanks for the conversion van info and the good website.

TED

TED
05-16-2006, 21:36
I know this may seem laughable but does anyone know if it is possible to put a small, two person jacuzzi style bath in there? I'm not thinking a full sized bath-tub but maybe something that would allow two people to sit with legs bent/angled facing each other.

I have in mind an RV optimized for only 2 people. I would like a full normal sized bed that uses normal sized sheets. I would also like not just a shower but a bath or jacuzzi if reasonably possible.

I suspect the biggest problem with that would be having enough water to use it. Also, water is very heavy.

TED

Maxthemutt
05-17-2006, 08:57
I'll bet you could put something like this:

http://www.spadepot.com/warehouse/smartub.htm

into one of those RV's designed to carry motorcycles and 4wheelers in the back. You can get those set up as you've described.