ammo reliability? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ammo reliability?

magister
05-10-2006, 18:49
how many rounds do i have to fire so i can assume that a particular type of ammo would be reliable for my pistol? 200 ba talaga? my intention is to use hollow points for home defense and of course i'd like to be 100% sure that i won't experience any problem with whatever jhp load i choose. besides the hollow points kasi are a bit expensive and my wife will throw me out of the house if she finds out the true costs involved in this hobby. :crying:

casmot
05-10-2006, 19:57
Shoot 200 rounds or more of factory load FMJ to check your pistol. Shoot it one at a time, double tap, and shoot it as fast as you can with change mags.

But for ammo reliability, feeding, ejection, and for economy about 50 rounds I think would be enough.

mikey177
05-10-2006, 21:13
IMO, you don't have to shoot the 200 rounds of JHP all in one sitting. You could do as casmot suggested and try just 50 rounds to test initial reliability. Then, every month, you could shoot two magazines of your JHP carry load to keep yourself accustomed to the different recoil and muzzle blast characteristics of the ammo vis-a-vis FMJ or reloads.

Moreover, you should be buying new boxes of carry ammo regularly, say every quarter or semester, so that after a year or so, you swap out your old carry ammo and put in a fresh batch. Then you can use up your old JHPs at the range during practice.

Shooting is really a costly "hobby," but I look at it this way, on a monthly basis:

30 rounds of JHPs - P1,800
two target boards and lots of patching tape - P50
range fee - P100
having the confidence to shoot accurately and stay alive - priceless :)

magister
05-10-2006, 22:41
am almost done breaking in the pistol with the mandatory 200 rounds of fmj. it's just that it breaks the bank to go through another cycle of factory ammo to test reliability. i guess 20 to 30 rounds a month would be ok. hey, i'd be done in about a year! :supergrin:

st. matthew
05-10-2006, 22:49
OT. guys tumaas na ba prices ng ammo dyan?
how much does a 9mm and a .40 cal na fmj cost ngayon?
thanks!

isuzu
05-10-2006, 23:11
Don't worry about your PT92 of not being feed-reliable. It will "digest" almost any kind of 9mm ammo. I purposely underloaded several rounds with only 3.0 grains of VV N310 and 124 LRN. Fired it on my wife's PT 92. That was enough to cycle the Taurus.

toxic
05-11-2006, 01:26
Originally posted by casmot
Shoot 200 rounds or more of factory load FMJ to check your pistol. Shoot it one at a time, double tap, and shoot it as fast as you can with change mags.

But for ammo reliability, feeding, ejection, and for economy about 50 rounds I think would be enough.

ditto

but if you still want to ratrat, pa reload mo na lang sir yung brass mo ng fmj or HP sa stronghand.
Less expensive compared to the factory ammo.

MR_BIG
05-11-2006, 08:05
Originally posted by st. matthew
OT. guys tumaas na ba prices ng ammo dyan?
how much does a 9mm and a .40 cal na fmj cost ngayon?
thanks!

man, tumaas na fmj reload sa armscor, its 8 bukos na a pop

antediluvianist
05-11-2006, 17:52
"how many rounds do i have to fire so i can assume that a particular type of ammo would be reliable for my pistol? 200 ba talaga?"

One round ; arguably even zero rounds. If you have a revolver. Ah, peace of mind.

darwin25
05-13-2006, 02:35
Originally posted by mikey177

Moreover, you should be buying new boxes of carry ammo regularly, say every quarter or semester, so that after a year or so, you swap out your old carry ammo and put in a fresh batch. Then you can use up your old JHPs at the range during practice.
[/list]

But really this is just another lousy reason to go to the range. HEHEHEHE. Peace bro.

mikey177
05-14-2006, 04:50
Hehe. Any excuse to go to the range is a good excuse :supergrin:

charlie-xray
05-18-2006, 13:11
+1000 ako sa sinabi mo mikey177 shooting reliably is indeed priceless.

Originally posted by mikey177
IMO, you don't have to shoot the 200 rounds of JHP all in one sitting. You could do as casmot suggested and try just 50 rounds to test initial reliability. Then, every month, you could shoot two magazines of your JHP carry load to keep yourself accustomed to the different recoil and muzzle blast characteristics of the ammo vis-a-vis FMJ or reloads.

Shooting is really a costly "hobby," but I look at it this way, on a monthly basis:

30 rounds of JHPs - P1,800
two target boards and lots of patching tape - P50
range fee - P100
having the confidence to shoot accurately and stay alive - priceless :)

charlie-xray
05-18-2006, 13:17
toxic, yun bang factory ammo ko na armscor fmj pwede kong ipa-reload yung brass ko into fmj ulit mga magkano kaya? at saka saan? at saka considered malinis na ammo pa rin itongf magiging reload diba kasi glock 23 gamit ko at medyo iniingatan ko barrel ko.

Originally posted by toxic
ditto

but if you still want to ratrat, pa reload mo na lang sir yung brass mo ng fmj or HP sa stronghand.
Less expensive compared to the factory ammo.

casmot
05-20-2006, 01:59
Originally posted by charlie-xray
toxic, yun bang factory ammo ko na armscor fmj pwede kong ipa-reload yung brass ko into fmj ulit mga magkano kaya? at saka saan? at saka considered malinis na ammo pa rin itongf magiging reload diba kasi glock 23 gamit ko at medyo iniingatan ko barrel ko.

I'm not toxic, but, yes you can have your brass reloaded using a FMJ head, lead, copper plated, etc. That's called as a "once fired brass". :supergrin: You can have it reloaded at armscor, PB dionisio, true weight, etc. Or with your friendly BoG reloader. Calling Judge...

If you're talking about the head in "malinis na ammo", yes, FMJ heads are clean. But if you're talking about the powder, well it depends on the powder the reloader will be using. :)