manuel locking hubs on F-250? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : manuel locking hubs on F-250?

cowboywannabe
05-17-2006, 14:28
better play it safe............

do the manual locking hubs turn clockwise to lock them on either side? thats what im thinking......

but it could be argued that you turn them to the front to lock them, which is counter clockwise for the left front.

my yard isnt wet enough for me to check it for myself and the owners manual has a cartoon type pic showing markings that have long been rubbed away on the hub.......

cowboywannabe
05-17-2006, 19:38
also, can i just manually "lock" the hubs and drive, though they are not engaged in 4x4? that way i can engage 4x4 from the cab without having to get out an manually do it.......

knightkrawler00
05-19-2006, 19:40
You should have to turn the hubs in the same direction, I believe clockwise, to lock them on both sides. As far as driving with the hubs locked in 2hi, it depends on the transfer case, year of vehicle, etc. If you have a true part time transfer case, it will be okay to leave the hubs locked pretty much all the time. When my '92 Toyota spent most of its time on the farm, I never unlucked the hubs and still ran it on pavement quite a bit. I would assume that your truck is holder, due to markings on the hub being worn away, so it would be okay to leave the hubs locked if 4WD is expected.

skwang
06-07-2006, 23:08
If you hardly ever use 4wd you should lock your hubs and drive in 2wd for a while to keep gear oil on stuff. About once a month or so should be fine. You should not drive on bare pavement with hubs locked and 4wd selected on the tcase as you will stress the drive train (the front and rear wheels go a diffrent distance when cornering and aapplys excess pressure to Ujoints and transfer case) On the other hand if you lock your hubs and drive in a circle on pavement you will feel the truck learching as you go around and will know your hubs are locked.

Logan