holster question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : holster question

pipo
05-21-2006, 18:34
Sirs...

I know most of us use the "speed holsters" at the range especially when using our favorite 1911s and other "all Steel" toys. Can you share with me your thoughts on injection moulded holsters ( Uncle mikes kydex, fobus, etc)? My concern is on holster wear on the pistol. I'm looking for a holster that would be kind to glock's polymers and finish. Which one do you think offers the best retention, and minimum wear on the pistol. Thanks :)

Eye Cutter
05-21-2006, 18:42
"holster wear" gives your pistol character. personal preference yan. i use a leather galco paddle holster for my 1911 and glock pistols. i was never happy with the plastic injection molded holsters.

mag pouches are a different story, though. i have a fobus double mag pouch which is excellent for my purposes.

nrmcolt
05-22-2006, 06:27
Like what Doc EC said, I vote leather to go with my pistols, there's something good about a nice pistol and a leather holster:supergrin:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/nrmcolt/skull10.jpg
:thumbsup:

:beer:

mc_oliver
05-23-2006, 14:45
For carry, you'll actually see more wear sa leather lalo na sa dusty environment natin.

For plastic-type holsters, the wear points are the ones contacting the gun, usually sa trigger guard and an area sa slide. It's also easier to clean kasi plastic. Punas lang oks na.

But leather looks way, way better.

As for glocks, they look..ahh...like any other? Trust me, it's not something you'd want to preserve in the long run anyway. ;)

horge
05-24-2006, 00:18
As yet unmentioned:

Parking your carry piece in a Kydex holster long-term bears no
downside, but the tannins used in curing leather promote corrosion
duting long-term, static contact with metal. Then again, the newer
gunleathers come with felt lining included, so, hey...

Kydex in this sweaty climate makes me itchy after awhile, but then so
does leather, with the added disrepute of bad smell to go with it.
Nylon/cordura can be washed, but leather can't, or you lose some of
the fit. For kydex, Joy antibac, scrub, rinse, and dry okay ka na.

:)
horge

chocoboy
05-24-2006, 01:31
Eye Cutter,
Double stack or single stack gamit mo? I'm looking for an injection molded double mag pouch for my 1911 double stack mags kasi for Range purposes. Di kasi dumating yung blade-tech na mag pouch ko... Holster lang umabot sa kin. Do you use the mag pouch for competition as well? Does fobus have mag pouches for double stack 1911 mags? Same size ba ang berreta 92 mags sa 1911 na double stack?

Eye Cutter
05-24-2006, 03:51
I use the fobus double mag pouch for glocks for my ParaOrd mags. Its a tight fit but it will do. IDPA rig ko yun. kasama chaleco as concealment garment

:clown:

chocoboy
05-24-2006, 09:17
Thanks Eye Cutter... You just made my day :)

charlie-xray
05-24-2006, 11:51
Galco combat master and minimalist kydex

pipo
05-24-2006, 16:34
Thanks a lot for the advice guys. As always I consider this forum as the best source for info. Another concern is the possibility of AD in glocks when holstering. I DON'T keep the glock in condition 1 but it would be reassuring to know that my holster won't cause it to discharge if ever i do. :)

vega
05-24-2006, 16:40
Most probable of discharge is the one with retainer. If the retainer is cut too thin, it could get caught in the trigger guard while re-holstering. I believe Uncle Mike had an issue before so they re-call all early manufacturing of a certain model.

Local made holster might be cut too thin too.

royal glockster
05-25-2006, 07:20
leather IWB for carry, moulded plastic FOBUS for ipsc production/idpa. Of course, speed for ipsc standard. :cool:

bikethief
05-25-2006, 19:56
I use a blackhawk flat ambitextrous holster. Universal siya and made of cordura. Very slim profile and it's the most concealment friendly OWB holster available IMO. I also have the universal ankle rig from blackhawk but only use it when really needed.

chocoboy
05-25-2006, 20:15
IMO... Best OWB Holster is the Mitch Rosen 5JR. They have a new Product 5JR-Pres-FD which is basically the same with 5JR but with offset construction. It may be much more comfortable but i think the 5JR still would be more concealable. I 've been using the 5JR for quite some time now. It's realy comfy for everyday carry... ( i carry from the time i leave my house til i get bak home)!

Alexii
05-27-2006, 01:39
Tried Kydex, leather, and nylon-- all in IWB format.

Kydex: Comfort-wise and concealability-wise, it's right there at the top. However, I didn't like how it 'wears' the gun. If you're not careful in cleaning it regularly, some gritty debris can leave unsightly streak marks along the length of the slide. Mine not only did that but 'polished' the front triggerguard of my USP.

Leather: Nice, really nice. I have the Milt Sparks Summer II which gives a somewhat correct wear points on my Beretta. Smells and looks fantastic:supergrin: It feels slower to draw from compared to Kydex and nylon but not to a degree that matters anyway.

Nylon: My ORCA holsters see the most use. Of the three materials, I find nylon to be the most finish-friendly holster material. I like nylon because it's light, just as fast as kydex, and in IWB format (ORCA's design) retention is more than adequate. Sadly, ORCA seems to be out of business.

Just my .02 cent's worth.:)