removal of emblem adhesive [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : removal of emblem adhesive

ndbullet500
05-22-2006, 11:34
I had the center part (the pretty emblem part) pop out of the trunk lock surround on a cadillac deville. I ordered a new one, but it is all one piece, so I have to get the old surround "bezel" off the car's trunk lid too so I can replace it.

How the heck do I do it? I just looked at it and it seems like they used some really strong adhesive. Enlighten me, wise ones who have faced this before.

Stang Man
05-22-2006, 11:47
Is it just the adhesive left or the bezel as well. If it's just adhesive, use 3m adhesive remover. With the bezel, you might try to heat up the adhesive with a blow dryer and CAREFULLY pull it off.

Good luck.

JC26
05-22-2006, 12:16
Many use monofilament and a little finesse followed by 'goo-gone' or equivalent. Kind of a wire saw type motion.

HTH,
jc

ProfMoriarty
05-22-2006, 18:46
Originally posted by JC26
Many use monofilament and a little finesse followed by 'goo-gone' or equivalent. Kind of a wire saw type motion.

HTH,
jc

Agreed.

Heat up the bezel with a hair dryer.

Dental floss or monofilament as described above.

Goof Off the residue. (Test on paint on inside bottom of door first.)

ndbullet500
05-23-2006, 09:31
Thanks guys, I'll give the dental floss/fishing line a try with goo-gone.

Mwildt
05-23-2006, 17:49
Sometimes emblems are held in by two pins that actually go through the sheet metal. Mostly they are the "main" emblems, not sure if the one around your trunk lock would have them or not. If they do...I don't know what to tell you, depends on how good you are at stuff like that. If it's just adhesive, do as others have already suggested.

Mustang1075
05-23-2006, 23:49
goo-gone work wonders:banana: