python1340
05-25-2006, 13:37

Hasn't fought a pro fight in 11 years.

G36.45
05-27-2006, 22:14
Hughes smoked him like a cheap cigar.

python1340
05-28-2006, 00:58
He sure did. Royce didn't have a snowball's chance in hell. Regardless, you can never take anything away from Royce. He's a legend. He's the reason people like Matt even exist. I hope he realizes that.

White Buffalo
05-28-2006, 09:50
Originally posted by python1340

Hasn't fought a pro fight in 11 years. Um, that's not correct. He's been fighting in Japan.

Fact is, the well rounded fighter won... It's always dissapointing to see your (read mine) hero get beaten up, just like when he lost to Sak, but it happened. The sport just passed him by. Go check out Matt's interview with Sherdog. It solidifies my cross training in my minds eye. The one dimensional fighter (no matter what the art is or how effective it is against the average joe) can't compete. The well rounded fighter will always take it and shear strength DOES play a role in it.:sad:

gr81disp
05-29-2006, 07:46
Here are the results from UFC 60 and commentary when applicable for those who missed it.

Melvin Guillard v. Rick Davis - Guillard 1R KO

Gabriel Gonzaga v. Fabriano Scherner - Gonzaga 2R KO

Spencer Fisher v. Matt Wiman - Fisher 2R KO
HOLY SMOKES!!! This was an AWESOME knockout. Fisher stunned Wiman with a right then hit the most beautiful flying knee I have ever seen. After that landed, he just walked away.

Jeremy Horn v. Chael Sonnen - Horn 1R Sub.

Joe "Diesel" Riggs v. Mike "Quick" Swick - Swick 1R Sub.
Swick lives up to his nickname, finishing Riggs in the first round by Swick-o-tine. "It is just like the guillotine, but a little bit faster, and a little bit stronger." Swick has yet to have a UFC fight go out of the first round, two by KO and two by guillotine choke.

Assuerio Silva v. Brandon "The Truth" Vera - Vera 1R Sub.
Vera really shined here. I fully expected Silva to hand him his rear, but Vera not only held his own, but won in impressive fashion. Plus, it was strange to see two fights end by guillotine choke back-to-back.

Diego "Nightmare" Sanchez v. John Alessio - Sanchez 3R UD
The most controversial fight of the night, with many believing Alessio should have taken the decision. While I disagree with the decision, it was close enough that I can't complain. Alessio stuffed all of Diego's takedowns but had little offense. Undoubtedly the most interesting sight was Diego being on Alessio's back almost the entire third round. Diego couldn't do much until the final seconds of the round when he landed some stiff punches, while ALESSIO was attempting submissions.

Dean "The Boogeyman" Lister v. Alessio Sakara - Lister 1R Sub.
This fight was pretty easy to predict. World Champion submission wrestler v. boxer. Why do we still have these mismatches? We learned the results ten years ago during UFC 1.

Main Event - Non-Title Match

2x UFC Welterweight Champion Matt Hughes(W40-L4-D1)
v.
UFC 1, 2 & 4 Tournament Champion Royce Gracie(W14-L1-D2)

Hughes 1R Ref. Stoppage
This was complete and total domination by Hughes. I was expecting Gracie to lose but not by Referee Stoppage. This marks the first time in Gracie's career he has been stopped. It was a brutal beatdown but Gracie showed heart.